ch 2

the only constant is you

Ryujin should've suspected something would eventually happen. Her life has been going way too well lately for things to not just fall apart sooner or later. Finding a chill campus job with just three shifts a week that pays relatively well sounds too good to be true. But Ryujin finds it, and her first shift isn't even unbearably boring. Her second shift, though, is eventful, to say the least.

It is a little shocking seeing Yeji for the first time in, what? They haven't actually talked in like two years, even though they had some brief unfortunate encounters here and there. But Ryujin can't remember even seeing her from a distance in at least a whole year. Even though her mind tricks her, and makes her think of Yeji every time she spots a blond ponytail in a crowd. Every single time. Which, really, is completely annoying and unnecessary, especially when she isn't even on campus. It's just like a mind reflex.

So it's a little disconcerting this time when Ryujin realizes it's not just a reflex, and the girl that turns around is, in fact, Yeji. It's even more disconcerting to see she's wearing the same uniform Ryujin has on. Ryujin's first thought is '' followed by noticing how Yeji looks taller, which is really not fair because Ryujin is pretty sure she stopped growing after she graduated high school, and how her face looks more adult-like? Maybe it's the sharp cheekbones that weren't that sharp in Ryujin's memory.

Yeji also seems to freeze. Her eyes widen and she almost drops the huge amount of bananas she's carrying with both arms. She looks at Ryujin up and down. Probably having the same internal reactions Ryujin is having, that it's indeed Ryujin and yes, they are wearing the same outfit.

The silence is starting to become awkward when their manager pops by their side.

"Yeji, this is Ryujin. You two will be sharing Tuesday's afternoon shifts."

Yeji blinks and opens . She holds the bananas a bit higher, then finally breaks eye contact with Ryujin.

"Oh." Yeji says, looking at him. "Yeah, I know. No, I mean, I know her. We, uh, we know each other."

"Cool." He says. "This is both of yours second shifts so I'll leave you two to it. I'll be in the back if there are any questions."

"Thanks." Ryujin says and the manager leaves.

Yeji stares again until Ryujin breaks the silence.

"I need to, uh," Ryujin points behind Yeji, where the sink is. Yeji turns to it, then turns back.

"Ah, right." She makes space and Ryujin walks to wash her hands. "I, um, should put these over there." Yeji says and walks away.

The shift goes well. There isn't too much movement and the weirdest order is a request to use half almond milk, half soy milk. Ryujin doesn't talk to Yeji if she doesn't have to, and neither does Yeji. Even though Ryujin can feel her staring at times, like she has something to ask but thankfully can't open .

She manages to open once their shift is over, though.

"So we, um, have the same Tuesday shifts." Yeji says as they are removing their ugly yellow aprons.

"Seems like it." Ryujin replies. "Maybe I can change my hours. I'll check."

"Oh." Yeji says in a low voice. "Uh, you don't have to. I mean, we canー"

"It's not because of you." Ryujin rolls her eyes. "It may be better for my schedule."

"Ah." Yeji nods.

Yeji looks like she is trying to think of something else to say, but Ryujin's all finished up, so she just leaves.

It was a little awkward, true, but manageable? And Ryujin feels... nothing. Nothing, really. Which is ironically a nice thing to feel.

Ryujin's next shifts go well too. The different people she has to work with are all tolerable, and she's getting the hang of it. Until the next Tuesday shift comes.

Yeji is there when she arrives, and she seems to freeze a bit again, like she forgot they shared the shift.

"You didn't change your hours." She says, and smiles a little, her tone almost like a question.

Oh. Ryujin forgot. She briefly looked into another shift but one of the reasons she took this job was because the hours worked perfectly with her schedule.

"Wasn't able to." Ryujin shrugs, then goes to get her apron.

For some reason the place is especially busy today. Ryujin decides to use one of the tricks she started doing on her other shifts. Two blenders at the same time, both at the maximum speed, but making sure to firmly hold the lid of the funky one that has a note 'do not put on max speed' on it.

Yeji notices she is doing that, because of course Yeji would notice it. And of course she makes a comment about it. The first two times she just says that blender is a little funky and can't handle max speed, like Ryujin can't ing read the note on it. Then Yeji says she shouldn't do that, and points at the note. Ryujin starts to get annoyed but only tells her to not worry about it. The last time Yeji sounds annoyed and Ryujin turns to talk to her, turning her back to the blenders, which is her first mistake.

Yeji starts lecturing her about rules, blenders and smoothie-making etiquette. And because Ryujin would rather smash the fruits with her own hands than be told what to do by someone who is not her boss, they start to argue. 

Ryujin forgets about the blenders, which is her second mistake, even though they are very loud. The noise just seems to fuel their argument, with their voices raising higher and higher. The poor person first in line tries to talk to them, but Ryujin ignores him, and that is her third mistake.

One moment Ryujin and Yeji are screaming at each other, the next there is an explosion noise, followed by smoke and a pink liquid rain that hits the counter, the walls, the floor, both of them and even that first guy in line. The manager appears with a fire extinguisher, shouting for them to get out of the way.

Unsurprisingly, they get fired on the spot. Yeji tries to explain she didn't do anything wrong, because of course she would try to save herself, but he says he doesn't care because he heard both of them shouting. After they clean everything up and Ryujin is about to leave, Yeji corners her and they start arguing again, but soon the manager shows up to kick them out before anything else can explode.

Ryujin is angry, obviously, but mostly annoyed. Looking for a new job is gonna ing , but the whole situation was kinda funny. 

The dude in line covered in smoothie running away instead of staying and probably receiving free smoothies? Hilarious. That manager guy looking as red as the fire extinguisher? Amusing. A confused and angry Yeji covered in pink smoothie? 

If Ryujin also wasn't angry she'd have burst out laughing. But now a distressed and agitated Yeji still covered in pink smoothie? Not that funny, actually. Ryujin feels bad, which also annoys her, even if she's sure it wasn't completely her fault.

"You'll find something else soon." Ryujin says and Yeji scowls. Ryujin bites her tongue, then continues, "If I find something with two spots I'll let you know."

Yeji looks surprised for a split second before she goes back to frowning. "Okay?" She pauses then takes a deep breath. "I, uh, will try talking to him again."

Ryujin rolls her eyes. That's pointless, she thinks, but says instead, "Good luck." Then leaves.