Forgiveness

Dirty Little Secret

 

“Coco! What a good boy!” DaeHee praised as the dark faced dog pranced back to its owner with a proud look on his face, responding happily to his owner’s happiness. She smiled as she hugged him before taking out his leash and clipping it back on his collar.

“No wonder you looked familiar!” EunWoo gasped as she petted the fierce-looking dog, who accepted her touches as he was familiar with EunWoo. “I almost didn’t recognize you after not seeing you for all these years!”

“I have so many questions for you,” she smiled warmly at DaeHee, holding the girl’s hands as if she was afraid the younger twin would disappear again if she didn’t. Her smile faded for a moment as she looked seriously at DaeHee. “But before that, I need to ask. Have you gone to see DaeHyun yet? He’s been having nightmares about you…you should have at least left us some way of contacting you…”

DaeHee smiled back sadly at EunWoo and apologized, “I’m sorry for worrying you all. But I couldn’t leave anything or he’d find me. Besides, I’ve been tailing this guy for awhile now. Crazy serial killer. I figured he would be going for something public. Took my chances with this place and got lucky.”

“You…haven’t talked to him?”

DaeHee scoffed as she glared bitterly at the ground, “As if he would listen to me.”

EunWoo placed her hand on DaeHee’s shoulder in concern. With a smirk and a foot on the back of her captive, she cackled, “Don’t worry. We’ll be talking real soon.”

Right on cue, the gossiped about individual appeared before the two females, earning adoring stares from many female students. DaeHee’s smirk merely widened at his appearance, enjoying the furious look in his eyes. EunWoo backed up as he marched forward, feeling the tense air thickening with every step he took closer.

“Yo, took you long enough to get here, Senior Officer Lee HoWon,” DaeHee greeted flippantly while he did his best to keep his cool.

“Why are you here?”

DaeHee rolled her eyes at him. “Why? Because if you had listened to me in the first place, maybe I wouldn’t have had to rely on luck and we could have gotten these grounds covered properly!”

“I thought I told you-stop undermining my authority!” HoWon countered causing DaeHee to glare furiously at him.

“You!” she screeched in anger. “You of all people! I would not have expected this from you of all people!”

“Insubordination!”

“Power hungry !”

“You will respect me!”

“Why don’t you respect my because you sure aren’t getting any of it any time soon?!”

“JUNG DAEHEE! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!”

“It’s in Korean just for you! Do you want me to start speaking English?!”

EunWoo watched the two nervously as they looked like they were about five seconds away from a full-out brawl. Even Coco started barking, almost as if he was backing his mother up. That was until a bellowing laughter interrupted them.

“Well, well, well, this sure is quite the scene you’ve caused here, huh?”

HoWon and DaeHee turned to the voice in shock and bowed respectfully at the older looking male.

“Commissioner General sir,” the two chorused.

He chuckled, lifting both of them to stand upright, “No need to be so formal, you two. DaeHee, it seems you caught that man all by yourself, huh? That was some smart thinking.”

“Thank you, sir,” she smiled brightly at being praised by the highest ranking police officer in Seoul before throwing a glare at HoWon. “At least your FATHER can appreciate my ideas!”

“A-A-ppa! I mean…Commissioner General, sir! Jung DaeHee did not get a proper warrant to stake out at this University and went against my authority to do so!” HoWon countered, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Seriously?!” DaeHee growled. “Thanks to me! No one got hurt! Besides! I wasn’t even working on duty!”

“Yet you were in disguise?!”

“It’s my hobby to dress up!”

“As a blind woman with a seeing-eye dog?!”

“Yah! Who are you to judge my taste in hobbies?!”

EunWoo sighed, “Oh goodness…”

“I agree,” the Commissioner General, otherwise known as HoWon’s father, concurred with a shake of his head. “Alright, you two. Settle down. In any case, good work, Officer Jung DaeHee.”

She hissed bitterly at HoWon, “Officer is apparently too HIGH of a rank for me.”

HoWon flinched at the look he received from his father.

“Senior Officer Lee HoWon, what is the meaning of this? To the best of my knowledge, Officer Jung has completed her two years of probationship,” he asked in accusatory confusion.

“She…she’s not ready…s-sir.”

“I’m so sick of your ,” DaeHee huffed, grabbing Coco’s leash and walked off. “It was nice seeing you, sir. I’ll talk to you later, EunWoo.”

She took once glance at HoWon.

“When you’re no longer an , come find me. You should know where I’ll be.”

With that, she left, handing the keys to the handcuffs for the convict to the Commissioner General.

~

“DaeHee!”

DaeHyun nearly dropped the cake he had just finished baking at the name as his eyes widened. In a panic, he threw the cake on the table (along with his oven mitts) and flew out of the kitchen. However, his shock turned into disappointment when he was only greeted by EunWoo’s worried expression.

“Hyunnie! Is DaeHee here?” she asked suddenly with a concerned look on her face.

“…no…why?! Have you seen her?!”

EunWoo nodded, “I figured she would have come see you after she got into another fight with HoWon…”

DaeHyun scoffed at his name. When he got over the bitterness, his mind raced to think of where DaeHee might have gone. He smiled nostalgically.

“I know where she is…but…we’ll have to buy some flowers for where we’re going.”

~

With a sigh, DaeHee wandered around aimlessly despite knowing where she wanted to go. It was sadly the first time she had been there but even so, she didn’t want to see it.

“Yah! Jung DaeHee!”

She jumped in surprise as she got tackled into a hug by a laughing YoungJae.

“What the hell?! Who said you can just appear out of nowhere like that and not tell anyone?!” he pretended to complain as she grinned, hugging him back, happy to see him again. As she pulled away, she screamed as another body attacked her.

“HEEHEE!” squealed KaeYeon.

“OH MY GOSH, YOU SCARED ME!” DaeHee gasped as she clutched her rapidly beating heart. KaeYeon laughed as she hopped up and down. When the girl calmed down enough to no longer being a blur, DaeHee ruffled the girl affectionately on the head.

“What are you two doing here?” she asked gently as KaeYeon nudged her head into her hand. YoungJae flung the backpack he was carrying forward to show her the large quantity of flowers they had brought.

“We’re going to pay a visit to a few people,” he answered as KaeYeon smiled up at DaeHee.

“I’m honoring everyone Appa took from others.”

DaeHee’s hand froze at her answer.

“Kae…”

KaeYeon giggled softly as she ran back to YoungJae, who put his arm around her supportively, “It’s the least I can do. And maybe it’ll calm Kit’s shaking heart and guilty conscience. Kit deserves that much.”

“I’m going to visit Appa, too.”

DaeHee could only stare at the brightly smiling girl. She truly admired her courage and her abilities to move on with her life. Taking a single flower out of her bouquet, she handed it to KaeYeon, who glanced down at the pretty yellow flower curiously before looking back up at DaeHee, confusion painted all over her face.

“For your Appa…from me.”

KaeYeon gasped, looking up at DaeHee in shock.

“Do you…forgive Appa?”

With such hopeful eyes staring back at her, DaeHee nodded reassuringly and answered, “You didn’t turn out as bad, after all. He must have done something right. But you should really stop calling him Appa…TaeSung-sshi is your Appa now…”

KaeYeon’s head bounced enthusiastically up and down.

“Neh! I’m also saying bye to Appa today!”

DaeHee laughed as she patted KaeYeon on the head.

“What a good girl…”

YoungJae entwined his fingers with KaeYeon’s and gently tugged her away from DaeHee.

“Come on, DaeHee has her own family she needs to be visiting.”

“Ah!”

KaeYeon rummaged through the backpack YoungJae was carrying in search of something. She ran back over to DaeHee and handed her two flowers.

“Kae was going to visit DaeDae’s appa and umma, but she doesn’t want to disturb if HeeHee’s going to visit,” KaeYeon informed before bowing respectfully at DaeHee. “DaeDae’s appa and umma, Kit apologizes for her Appa’s actions and gives her condolence to DaeHyun and DaeHee. And thank you for saving them! They’re both amazing friends of Kae’s now!”

“…thank you…Kae…”

DaeHee watched as KaeYeon bowed one more time before running back to YoungJae, taking his outstretched hand to continue her large task ahead of her. She smiled warmly at the sight. DaeHee and KaeYeon had long gotten over their rift and quickly became good friends. At first, DaeHee tolerated KaeYeon for YoungJae’s sake, but she naturally became fond of the happy-go-lucky girl.

She looked down at the flower KaeYeon handed to her. The girl was clueless in her innate ability to give others courage. With newfound purpose, DaeHee finally decided to visit her parents’ grave for the first time. The younger twin placed half of the flowers in her mother’s grave and the other half in her father’s grave. She bowed down at her parents with a smile before she folded her legs so she was sitting on her feet.

“Appa…Umma…how are you doing? I’m sorry this is only the first time that I have come to see you. It’s usually DaeHyun that comes by, right? I bet you think I’m a horrible daughter for not coming. I had to hide for the longest time…and I couldn’t be Jung DaeHee because it was dangerous…but then again…I suppose you guys would know that best. Thank you…for all that you did for me. If it wasn’t for your bloodbots, I wouldn’t have lived after that accident, right? I love you two so much. But…” DaeHee bit her lip as she looked down at her folded hands on her knees.

“…is it ungrateful for me to hate them? You dedicated everything into make these nanobots but I hate them with every single fiber in me. All the problems that they’ve caused, it makes me wonder if it was maybe better for me to have just passed away instead of saving me. Maybe…you two would still be here…maybe…JinYoung…would still be here.”

DaeHee sighed.

“Is it selfish for me to be grateful for what your parents have done?”

She didn’t even flinch when a pair of arms wrapped themselves securely around her waist. Though she didn’t push him away, her face darkened at the sound of his voice.

“You should be more grateful that I’m in front of my parents right now or I’d be screaming at you,” DaeHee muttered under her breath. He sighed, burying his face into the back of her shoulder. With minimal effort, he managed to pull her backwards into his lap.

“I’m sorry.”

“You should be,” DaeHee turned to glare furiously at him. “I don’t understand, HoWon. You know my abilities, my strengths, my weakness, everything. How could you prolong my probationship like that? How could you say I wasn’t ready?”

“Because I can’t…lose you,” HoWon whispered, voice shaking at the word, lose. His grip tightened around her as he clenched his teeth. “…I just…can’t…do you know how much I blamed myself that time you got shot…why? Why did you choose this work? And under me? If…anything happens to you, I-”

He froze in shock as DaeHee turned around and silenced him with her lips. HoWon quickly gave into the kiss before they parted naturally, not in the mood for a more intimate kiss in front of her parents’ graves. She hugged with an exasperated sigh.

“I chose this because I want to be able to help people. That incident about a year ago wasn’t your fault. I’m going to be in the line of fire. I’m going to be in danger, but I rather it be me than anyone else,” she answered taking both HoWon’s hands together. “I am grateful for what everyone has done for me, and I think it’s time I used my abilities to help others. I’m not a helpless little girl.”

HoWon laughed at her last statement, “Trust me. I think I know that better than anyone else.”

“…do you not trust me?”

HoWon shook his head, wrapping his arms around her, placing his chin on the top of her head.

“I trust you…I don’t trust myself…” he answered. “I don’t know if I can protect you…”

“HoWon…I don’t need your protection, but I need your support,” DaeHee whimpered, clutching onto the back of his shirt. “Do you know how much it hurt when you told me you were extending my probationship because I wasn’t ready? I couldn’t believe you. You know how much I’ve been through and you know how good I am. I thought you were abusing your newfound power and completely forgot who I am.”

HoWon looked down sadly at DaeHee.

“Is that why you ran away?”

“I ran away for multiple reasons, though you were probably 80% of them at least,” she glared accusingly. HoWon laughed nervously at her honestly before looking over to her parents’ graves. He bowed respectfully to them and smiled.

“Umeonim, Abeonim, you did a great job of raising your little girl. I can safely say I’ve never met anyone like her and will never meet anyone like her.”

HoWon held DaeHee’s hand as she stared at their graves.

“Where’s Coco?”

“I left him with TaeSung-sshi.”

“Is DaeHyun coming by soon?”

“Mmm, probably. I’m sure EunWoo went looking for me at the bakery, so she’ll have relayed the message.”

He kissed her on the cheek. “I guess I’ll see you later then.”

DaeHee blinked, standing up as he started to leave. “Where are you going?”

“I have to go fill out the paperwork for a certain police assistant to become an official police officer.”

Her eyes sparkled in excitement before she smirked and whispered mischievously in his ear, “I guess you really are starting to respect my …or do you just want some of it that badly?”

“Please, DaeHee. At least act decent in front of your parents. …since you apparently can’t act decent in front of mine.”

“Hey, not my fault I basically used my body when I was working undercover.”

HoWon smiled, kissing her quickly on the lips.

“Don’t stay too long.”

She nodded, waving as he left.

Silence settled in, but it was comfortable for DaeHee as she just stared at the pictures of her mother and father, wondering if they were watching over her or not.

“Such a child. Running back to Appa and Umma when you’re having boy problems. Aish, Jung DaeHee, I thought you were better than that.”

Laughter filled as she ran over and hugged DaeHyun, who she hadn’t seen in years.

“That’s not fair. You might have met with Appa and Umma multiple times, but this is my first time seeing them!” DaeHee whined with a pout, earning an almost condescending pat on the head from her older twin. Curiously, DaeHee looked around.

“Where’s EunWoo?”

“She decided to wait in the car. She said it was probably best to give the two of us some time together since I haven’t seen you in three years,” DaeHyun explained, receiving an appreciative nod from DaeHee.

“You’re lucky…” DaeHee told him. “EunWoo…is an amazing person. You better be treating her right or I’ll have your head, you got that?”

“Yah, yah, weren’t you the one who tormented her for the longest time?”

“Hey! I was just making sure she cared about you!”

DaeHyun almost cackled at her outburst, sitting down next to her after greeting their parents.

“You look well. I’m glad…”

DaeHee turned to DaeHyun.

“…are you okay?”

“Hmm? Yeah, I’m fine, why do you ask?”

“Because I’m your twin, DaeHyun, and something seems off.”

His eyes became distant, staring at his Appa’s grave.

“…what would have happened if EunWoo didn’t convince InSu to move on? Would he always go after you? Would you have sacrificed yourself so he could never get the bloodbots?” DaeHyun revealed, knowing he couldn’t hide anything from DaeHee. “Not knowing what was going on with you for so long…I’ve had nightmares of what could have happened.”

“HoWon…I’m sure he would have stopped him,” DaeHee answered confidently. “Not just for me, but because he cares about InSu. And InSu cares about him. After all, it was HoWon, that gave him that sliver of hope for moving on when he first became depressed. InSu-sshi…it’s scary what love and devotion can make you do…not being able to give up.”

“Like KaeYeon?”

“…you know…I told KaeYeon I forgave her Appa.”

“Did you mean it?”

“At first, no. But I thought about it…”

DaeHee took a damp cloth and cleaned the tombstones gently.

“He must have had a story. Maybe…at some point in his life, he had people he cared about and he snapped when they were gone. Maybe he couldn’t move on. But even though he was mental, he raised Kae. Sure, she was messed up, but…he did raise her and she still appreciates him for it. He had been there for her…” she reasoned with a sad smile.

“Would we have been like that…if it wasn’t for TaeSung-sshi and B.A.P?”

DaeHyun shook his head.

“I don’t know…it’s scary to think about…”

He held her hand.

“But it doesn’t matter. There’s no point of these what-ifs. We have our futures to think about, right?”

She held his hand with a smile.

“Right.”

“And we’ll always have each other.”

“No matter what.”

The two twins stood up and bowed one last time to their parents.

“Happy anniversary, Appa and Umma.”

With a tranquil air lifting from their spirits, they left the graveyard to head back to the bakery. DaeHee had some catching up to do with the rest of their families and friends. Things were definitely going to be loud and crazy when they get back.

But for the moment, the two twins silently held hands down the road back to where EunWoo was waiting for them.

And in the moment, they could have sworn they felt their mother and father walking with them, just as they did when they were kids.

They would always have their parents to look back on.

And although their future was uncertain…

They knew that they had a new family that was there whenever they needed them.

 

=====================================================================

 

Was that ending lame?

Was it?

;__________;

Was it not satisfying?

I hope I answered all the questions that were left unanswered.

Oh my goodness, this has ended.

I will be leaving a long note in the next chapter and thanks to, so don’t leave me all yet!

HOWEVER, THIS STORY HAS COME TO AN END.

~Kira :3

P.S. Thanks to everyone that has stuck with me! I promise a little surprise in the future! :)