Chapter 5: Recover

Secrets | Alice in Borderland.

After the game I didn’t get any sleep that night, or the next one. I’m still a bit in shock; the screams and cries from the other people are in a constant loop in my head. When it’s time for dinner Chisiya hands me some food and sighs.

 

“Still no sleep?”

 

“Nope. That guy said I shouldn’t beat myself up over this, but somehow I can’t seem to do that this time.” I sigh and take a bite of my food.

 

“How do you do this?” I ask him.

 

“Well, it happened a lot at work, you know that.” Chisiya and I were both working at the same hospital as a pediatrician.

 

“Sometimes you try so hard to save the people in there, but sometimes even trying your hardest isn’t good enough..” He takes a bit of his food.

 

“Remember that girl who was in a car accident?” He continues.

 

“Yeah, I remember. She caught that bacteria shortly after the surgery. That ended up with her getting sepsis, which eventually killed her.” I look down, remembering it all as if it was yesterday.

 

“Yes, her. And you know we did everything we could to help her. But in the end she still passed away. We don’t forget these things, but we do move on from it, knowing we gave it our all. And that’s on the people we could help. With this game you couldn’t even help them.”

 

“That makes sense actually.” I take another bite of my food and nod.

 

“In the games to follow just try to remember that even if you could do everything to help and some people don’t make it, you did your best, and that’s what counts. Don’t feel bad. Death is just something we have to deal with.” He said in his usual calming way.

 

“Thanks Chisiya.” I look at him and even manage to smile a little.

 

“It actually helped.” I continue. Might have also been his way of saying it. He’s always so calm, even in the most hectic situations.

 

“Let’s just take another day or two off before we find the next game. I think we still have four or five days on our visas. Tomorrow we can look for some food and water.” Chisiya sits back and we just ate the rest of the food in silence.

 

That night I finally catch up on some sleep. Finally being able to shut off the sounds and the thoughts.

 

The next morning we eat the last bit we have in the cabinets for breakfast. Chisiya and I go out and search some houses and apartments nearby, hoping they still have something left or hidden away. But it’s either empty or expired so covered in mold. I sigh as I open another cabinet. Nothing again. That’s when I hear a voice behind me.

 

“There’s nothing there.” It’s a male voice.

 

I turn around and see an old man standing there. He sighs and just leans sits on the floor.

 

“Are you okay sir?” I ask.

 

He nods. “I am. My visa expires today. I don’t have to play the games anymore.”

 

My eyes widen as he says so.

 

“Sir, are you sure about that?” I ask nervously.

 

“Yes. I am fine with it. I had a good life. I’m going to see my wife today.” He nods again and just smiles.

 

Chisiya leans against the doorway and joins the scene, taking it in.

 

I think about the conversation yesterday and just smile back at him.

 

“Go be with your wife. I’m sure she missed you.”

 

“I miss her as well, but not for long anymore. I have some water and food left in the bedroom, hidden under the floor under the bed. You guys can take it. You’re still young, your whole lives ahead of you. Good luck with the games and keep winning so you can go home and be happy together like me and my wife were and will be again after 3 years.” He looks at us and just smiles.  

Pretty sure he thinks we’re a couple, but I decide not to correct him. Chisiya also stays silent and nods in response, as do I.

 

“Will do sir.”

 

Just then I hear something; it’s a laser that shoots straight through is head. It came from the sky. I look at him and see he still has a smile on his face.

 

“That’s what happens when either your visa expires, or you quit the game early.” Chisiya says.

 

“I’ll go get that food and water.” He continues and walks to the bedroom, hands still in his pockets and hood up.

 

I grab a blanket from the living room and throw it over the old man. Now I know what will happen when my visa expires. Let’s make sure that never happens. We’re going to play another game soon and honestly, I’m more motivated than ever to win and stay alive.

 

As we make our way back to the apartment I notice the other survivor from the last game. His name was Kyuma. But for some reason, he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Could be because it was quite hot today. I can’t help but notice he’s in great shape.

 

“I remember you two from the other day. Also on the hunt for food?” He begins.

 

“You doing okay now?” He looks at me.

 

“I’m doing better now yeah, and yes, we were on a hunt for food.” I nod.

 

“Were? So you found something? Could you tell me where?”

 

I just grab two cans from the bag and walk over to him.

 

“Take these. See it as a thank you for the other day.” I hand them over to him but he only grabs one.

 

“One will do, and no problem. I could see you’re new here. It’s only polite to help those out. I’ll see you around. Goodbye.” He smiles and nods, walking past us and continuing his way.

 

Chisiya raises his eyebrow.  “When did he help you?”

 

“After the third round, when that old man didn’t make it. And he also tried to make me feel better at the end of the game.” I nod and put the can back in the bag. “His name is Kyuma.”

 

“Interesting.” Is all he says as he continues his walk. Does he know Kyuma already?