Chapter 2: Hangman

Secrets | Alice in Borderland.

It’s been two days since I’ve played the game. Chisiya brought me with him to an apartment nearby. He filled me in on everything that has been going on since he got here, which wasn’t that long ago. But he already knew a lot, and that didn’t surprise me; Chisiya is known for observing everything, even the small details; who are talking to who. How they react to certain things.

You name it and he probably noticed it already. Like in the game Tag; after observing for a bit he knew what room was the safe zone.

 

But he doesn’t remember how he got here in the first place, same as me. But we will figure that out at one point. The most important thing for now is surviving. In 3 days my visa expires, but we’re not waiting that long.

 

“when do you want to go out and play the next game?” I ask as I finish the last bit of beans from the can. Since nothing was working, no gas, no electricity, nothing, we just lived on canned food and water. Last night however we discovered some coal for the grill outside, so we could make a hot meal, well.. instant noodles. But it was something hot at least.

 

“I think either tonight or tomorrow night. It would be great if we can find a Clubs or Diamonds game.” Chisiya says and throws out the empty cans.

 

“But there’s no way in knowing what kind of game we are until the game begins.”

 

“I know. But still. For now let’s just find some more food”

 

“And maybe some more comfortable clothes. This won’t do well in another game where we have to run.” I was still wearing my work outfit; I’m a pediatrician and like to keep my clothes simple, so for that day it was a pair of black jeans with a white blouse and a white jacket. But for the games it would be easier to wear something that’s a bit more stretchy and comfortable.

 

We head out for and look for a store that still has some food on the shelves. Most of it was already raided by other people around here. Some have been here for weeks, of not months already. So food was hard to come by sometimes. I did find some new clothes though; just a simple black sports legging and a shirt and hoodie to match with that. Those were light blue, just to keep a bit of color. The shoes were still fine; if I could walk in them all day at work, they would be fine here.

After our little shopping spree we headed back to the apartment. I changed my clothes there and Chisiya put the food in a safe place so people couldn’t find it.

 

“Should we go out tonight? Find the nearest game?” Chisiya asks from the other room.

 

“Fine by me.” I say back.

 

Later that night we make our way to the construction site. We each grab one of the phones that are laid out on the table and just wait for other people to join.

After 3 minutes the phones are all taken and the screen lights up

 

 

Registration has closed. There are a total of 10 participants. The game will now commence.

Difficulty, Four of Diamonds

 

I look up at Chisiya and just nod. A diamonds game; games that require intelligence, strategy and wits. I can do this.

 

[Game] Hangman

[Clear condition] Play a total of 4 rounds and guess the words. 10 turns per round to guess the words.  

[Rule] Guess one letter at a time - or use a turn to guess the entire word.

[Time limit] 10 minutes per round. If you don’t guess the word, you hang.

 

Chisiya and I look at each other and just follow the signs to the part where the game will be played. there’s a structure and we all see the ropes hanging there. I step up to one and see the wooden floor beneath me; a trap door. If one of us gets it wrong, the floor will open up and thus literally hang us. In front of me there’s a screen with the famous stickman game and all the letters of the alphabet.

 

We hear the announcement:

 

The game will now begin. Round 1. Please put the rope over your head and choose the first letter.

 

I do as I’m told and put the rope around my neck. I look at the screen and see the lines.

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _

 

Okay, 6 letters. I begin by choosing one of the vowels, that’s the best way to start in my opinion. I look at the vowels and press the letter ‘E’.

 

Now we wait..