Day 6: Emojis

Kyusung week promps

Author's note: This is, in fact, a fic where emojis are important, trust me. I swear. Don't let the first thousand words fool you.

_____________________

 

 

 

 

 

Morning texts

Kyuhyun wasn't a morning person. It's a known fact that Super Junior's maknae was a heavy sleeper who had problems getting up early and becoming properly functional right after waking up. That was simply his natural disposition. On top of that, because of his job as an idol, his circadian rhythm was a mess, as there were times he had to wake up in the early morning to attend an appointment, while some others he returned home more than a couple of hours after midnight. His love for videogames wasn't a help either, as staying up and playing until the wee hours at night was a very appealing thing to do, one of the bad habits he has developed through the years.

He had a list of bad habits and even some vices, if they could be called that, that he couldn't get rid of. The list included, of course, drinking alcohol. But not just any alcohol, no. Even if he enjoyed various drinks resulting of the fermentation of different fruits and cereals, there was one that stood out between all of them. Wine was a unhealthy pleasure he was careful to not exceed on, but one he would never get tired of, especially with the different tastes and fragrances the drink could offer. It was intoxicating. Addictive.

What one would expect from a substance that altered the brain functioning.

Sometimes he wondered if he should think about that artificial liver joke seriously. He didn't want to reach that level, but cirrhosis was a common effect of drinking exceedingly. Not that he was an alcoholic who couldn't control himself. He hadn't reached the level of addiction regarding alcohol.

What he could truly become addicted to was holding Yesung's hands. Some may even say he was already addicted to the whole enterity of Yesung's existence, but Kyuhyun thought love was a better term for what he had for the older man. Addictions are considered mental sickness, harmful behaviors that slowly lead people to their perdition. However, what he had with Yesung didn't make him sick nor unhealthy. It didn't hinder his interpersonal relationships nor interrupt his time working, though he had taken some mini vacation to spend some more time with his beloved. But no, being with the person known as Yesung, Kim Jongwoon or Kim Kanghoon didn't affect him negatively.

How could it, when only with his presence he brought him happiness and energy and filled him with life? A sole smile on Kim Kanghoon's lips or a single glance coming from him could brighten Kyuhyun's day extremely. And even if the time they couldn't be together hurt like how he supposed abstinence syndrome would feel like (as said before, Kyuhyun wasn't an addict, so he didn't have any idea of how it was like), he was an independent person who enjoyed his time alone, as well as the moments he shared with his own friends and family, just like Yesung. Neither of them was emotionally dependent of the other, they had a healthy relationship.

That didn't mean, though, that there weren't times in which Kyuhyun wished to spend all his time with Yesung and Yesung only, apart from the rest of the world, in a place there were just the two of them.

Wasn't that a sign of emotional dependence or obsessive behavior? No, it wasn't. The difference lied in the fact that Kyuhyun's wasn't but a fleeting thought he seldomly had, while in unhealthy relationships it's a pathological need what drives the person to stick to their lover's side all the time, consuming them. Or that's what Kyuhyun has read after investigating for a bit.

He wasn't a psychiatrist nor psychologist, but he had a basic idea about the matter. For some time, while Kyuhyun was still in denial about his feelings for Yesung, he tried to justify the great influence the older had on him with different pathologies and psychology concepts, even if those didn't apply for his lovestruck case. As a result, he ended up in a weird rabbit hole of information about psychological, biological and even evolutive theories about love, relationship dynamics and a lot of some other stuff related to that. It somehow became a good thing, as he became better at giving advices, but that's besides the point.

The important thing was that Kyuhyun wanted to spend as much time as he could with Yesung. In a healthy level, of course.

Waking up and having Yesung as his first sight in the day, everyday, was a goal Kyuhyun was working hard to achieve. However, there have been three major reasons as to why Yesung and Kyuhyun hasn't moved together; the first one was that Yesung wanted to keep living with his family some more time. He loved them so much he had infected Kyuhyun as well, they felt like family to him already (in a way, they were, just that they didn't know yet). On second place was that Kyuhyun wanted to increase his record of being the idol who has lived the longest time at a dorm. He wanted to make it harder to break before moving out from the dorms. That and living there made things easier for himself and his manager as well. And the last reason, at the moment, was that Yesung didn't want to live at the dorms.

So although there were some nights they spent together, resulting on waking up on the same bed, the quantity of mornings they woke up apart of each other was greater. It was something Kyuhyun wasn't happy with. But as there was little he could do with their busy schedules and different address in the short future, he had to bear it.

So, as lots of couples do to not miss each other, they sent each other good morning messages first thing after waking up.

Now, Kyuhyun isn't sappy. He is, in fact, a romantic at heart, but he isn't sappy. Definitely not. That's one reason why he didn't want to send cheesy messages first thing in the morning, but even when Yesung told him it wasn't necessary for him to do that, he ended up acquiring the habit. Mainly because he knew it would make Yesung happy, but also because there may be a small part of him with the slightest of levels of cheesiness. But just maybe.

Cheesiness levels aside, they both were happy with this practice. Yesung always had a better day after reading Kyuhyun's messages as his mood improved and Kyuhyun would spend his morning smiling like a fool every morning he received a message from Yesung, unless he had an early appointment he had to hurry up to. In that case, he would wear a not as goofy smile.

However, there was a minor (though it could sometimes be considered major) problem in that habit, which was Kyuhyun's careless sleepy self. As previously stated, Kyuhyun wasn't in the best form just after waking up. And given the nature of these type of messages, he tended to send them when still being half asleep. It all resulted in a few incomprehensible texts among a sea of minor grammar and spelling mistakes. (In Kyuhyun's defense, the person sending the messages wasn't him, but a half asleep man that on top of that didn't see well, as people shouldn't sleep with glasses nor contact lenses.)

It was usually easy to interpret the messages when they had small mistakes, but there were times Kyuhyun sent unintelligible texts rather alike to an encrypted code than something written in Korean. The worst was that not even Kyuhyun himself knew what he wanted to say, as he couldn't remember what  was he thinking while he was trying to type. Maybe he wasn't even thinking.

To solve this, Kyuhyun resorted to the use of his smartphone's autocorrect, trusting the function to correctly interpret his sleepy attempts at writing. And to fix those damned typos. Technology was made to make life easier, so why do not take the most of it?

It worked to some degree, as typos became lesser and lesser on their morning conversations. Sadly, autocorrect isn't omnipotent, as there are some things written so wrongly that not even the function could make a sense of them. But worse of all was when the autocorrect interpreted things in the wrong way. And, in some cases, very embarrassingly.

The biggest example of this was a conversation they held a few days ago. Yesung had an appointment first thing in the morning, so, as usual, he send his messages before preparing for the day. Kyuhyun knew Yesung's schedule, so he set an alarm to wake up early even when that day would be one of the few ones where he could take a break. Yesung tried to convince him to just use the time to rest and to better call him at lunch, but then Kyuhyun was stubborn on doing their dayly ritual and calling him at lunch. Yesung just let him be as he wouldn't convince him to do otherwise. He just laughed in advance at the unintelligible texts awaiting for him. He still wanted to be affectionate with Kyuhyun, though.

 

 

 

[Ye ❤️‍🔥]

(5:43)

- Morning ☺️😘💋

- Did you sleep well?

- I dreamt about you, so I woke up full of energy ✨🤭🥰😏

 

 

 

As always, Yesung was sweet (and a little playful). Something Kyuhyun not so secretly liked. Now, the most usual thing to do would be answering with a similar honey level. And that's exactly what Kyuhyun tried to do. But, as expected, it didn't turn out that way.

Kyuhyun's intentions were to write something along the lines of ‘morning, dear. I miss sleeping by your side, so I didn't sleep as well as I'd like. But as you're so lovely, I would have stayed awake all night just to see you. Love you hyung ♡.’ A sappy text like that.

But for some reason, Kyuhyun's words were transformed into something completely different.

 

 

 

- mfiebibg loop

- u miss sleeping by your side, so I didn't dkeru as hell as if like

- but as you're so poverty I would gave the state algae all night just to see you

- poop you hyung 🔪

 

 

 

Not even emojis were in Kyuhyun's favor, as the knife emoji was right next to the heart one given how often he used them. But how did Kyuhyun manage to transform ‘love’ into ‘poop’ with the autocorrect was a mystery never to be resolved. What wasn't a mystery was Yesung's reaction, which was to be the hell confused.

 

 

 

- ???????

- Poverty?

- Why would you give algae to the state???

- Poop??????

- Kyuhyun, are you even awake? 😂😅

 

 

 

Now, sleepy people tend to be sensitive, so seeing Yesung calling him by his name like that and not by a pet name made Kyuhyun frown. But that wasn't everything, no. The second biggest reason why he was upset was the fact that the older man was laughing at him. Kyuhyun was trying to be serious!

So, like the grown and mature adult he was, he decided to get angry at Yesung and throw a tantrum. Because back reading his messages to find out what was wrong or even ask Yesung didn't figure on Kyuhyun's foggy reasoning.

 

 

 

- 😡😡🤬

- Kyuhyun? What's wrong?

- 🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

- Was that supposed to be a series of hearts or are you angry?

- ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

- Were you trying to send the middle finger emoji or were you saying it was the first option?

- 🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

- How cute! 😄

- 🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪💣🔪

 

 

 

By this point, it was obvious Yesung was just teasing the maknae. Yesung knew there was something upsetting him, but as it was very likely the reason behind his tantrum was something silly, he didn't give it much importance. It would be useless trying to appease him, anyways, as he was still no better than a sleepwalker. So instead of comforting him, Yesung tried to keep fueling the maknae. It didn't result in the way he expected, though.

 

 

- Were you trying to send the bombs or were those typos as well, Kyu?

- ...

- Baby?

- 👁️

- Kkuru, what's wrong?

- 😌😊

- Love you hyung 💗

- Uh? Out of nowhere?

- Love you too?

- ❤️?

- 🥰😘

 

 

Having read Yesung calling him with his favorite pet name and receiving the desired response to his declaration of love (or something very close), Kyuhyun's humour got better. Since the stress passed, he relaxed and got (even more) sleepy, making him nuzzle in his bed and falling asleep. Yesung, who didn't understand what happened, send some more messages, trying to coax an answer from the younger without success.

It wasn't until hours later that Kyuhyun woke up for real. He got up feeling refreshed and very happy, so he hummed while washing his face and singed contently while cooking breakfast, though some people would consider it lunch given the time. And that's how Eunhyuk found him. Having smelt something being cooked, Eunhyuk went to peek into the kitchen.

"So you're alive?" Eunhyuk leaned on the aisle, seeing if he could steal some food once it were done.

"Unless I've become some sort of ghost or zombie, yeah. I'm pretty much alive." Kyuhyun looked at Eunhyuk briefly before before directing his attention back to the pan in the stove. Although his words were not very kind, his tone was light, something that caught Eunhyuk's attention. And on top of that, he was smiling.

Eunhyuk went to grab a strawberry milk from the refrigerator, spying Kyuhyun on the process. The chef of the dorms was humming, a small smile present on his face the whole time Eunhyuk glanced at him. Being eaten by curiosity, Eunhyuk tried to come up with some plausible reason for him to be this happy. "Did you win a gift card in any of your games or something?"

Kyuhyun turned to see at Eunhyuk, confused about how sudden and out of nowhere the question was. "No." He turned off the stove as his meal was ready and moved it to the table, Eunhyuk following on tow.

"A music award then?"

"It's not even time for those."

Kyuhyun was really weirded out by these questions. "What's up with you?"

"It's weird. You're being cheerful. Too cheerful."

"Should I be depressed or something?"

"I mean, in a normal day, you're only this happy when you talk with Yesung hyung in the morning."

"Your point?"

"You didn't, so it's weird."

"Uh? We did talk this morning." Kyuhyun didn't remember the conversation well, but he conveniently had very clear the interchange of ‘love you’ they had. Sure of the fact that he texted with Yesung, Kyuhyun looked at Eunhyuk with knitted brows. "Why would you even think we didn't?"

"Yesung hyung texted me a couple of hours ago and asked me how you were, so I thought you didn't wake up on time and didn't talk with him this morning."

"He asked you...? But why would he..."

Eunhyuk shrugged. "Maybe you said something that worried him?"

Kyuhyun tried to recall his words, searching for something that might have been unsettling, but he didn't remember saying anything like that. Heck, he didn't remember anything from the conversation. And maybe that was the issue. He went to his bedroom to retrieve his phone and check his conversation with Yesung as Eunhyuk sat down and served himself some food. Kyuhyun didn't have any notifications when he checked the time when he got up, but once he had the device on his hands, he understood. He left his conversation with Yesung open, so the texts he received were marked as read right after receiving them.

Kyuhyun cursed.

He read the morning text exchange and feel himself getting red. It's not that Kyuhyun were shy, but he did have some shame left. He walked back to the dinning room while reading the last texts Yesung wrote to him.

 

 

- Kyu? Are you there?

- Are you upset?

- I guess you just fell asleep

- I'll be on my way then

- Anyways, call me once you wake up

- No, wait, I may be busy 😓

- I'll just call you at lunch as we agreed last night 👍

- See you 😊🥰💋

 

Kyuhyun looked at the time and realized it wouldn't be long until Yesung called him. Phone in hand, he paced through the room while thinking how to keep living long enough to receive the call after receiving so much damage with all the embarrassment his texts involved. Eunhyuk saw the consternated man while eating said man's breakfast as if it were popcorn. If he stayed he was sure he would see something out of a drama and he was up for some entertainment. Feeling he was being watched, Kyuhyun turned to look at the avid spectator of his misfortune. He glared at him before pointing at the door.

"Go to your room. I have to talk with Yesung hyung and I don't want you here."

Eunhyuk crossed his arms. "You have your own room. Why do I have to move when you're the one who wants privacy? This is a common area."

"I won't let you eat anything I cook for three months if you don't go."

"Do you really think you can threaten me with food? Ha!" Despite his words, Eunhyuk got up and went to his room, not without taking Kyuhyun's breakfast with him.

Now alone, Kyuhyun inhaled and exhaled in an attempt to calm down. It worked to some degree, but he still jumped when he heard the ringing tone of his phone. He reluctantly answered and silently prayed Yesung would just forget about the subject, but divinity seemed to want to make fun of him that day.

— Has your mood improved or are you still sleepy? — Kyuhyun clearly heard the teasing tone in Yesung's voice and cursed him for sounding so y even when making fun of him.

"Come on. Aren't you even going to greet me?" Kyuhyun whined for having that subject brought up right after the call started.

— Hahaha, sorry Kyu, I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

"Well, I don't want to miss you so shut up before I decide to take revenge."

— Don't you miss me now? We haven't seen each other in a while.

"... A little." Kyuhyun's ears got red, but he had to be honest after hearing the dejected tone in Yesung's voice.

— I want to see you. The phone calls and texts have helped, but it doesn't compare to being with you.

"I know."

— And, well, this morning texts were nothing close as having you talking coherently to me.

"Hyung!"

Kyuhyun just heart Yesung laughing on the other end of the line and did his best to not imagine him with a wide smile on his face. He would end up forgiving him even when he was laughing at him. Well, he would forgive him anyways, but it would be too soon to do so right then. Kyuhyun tried to recall his upset self from that morning, but he couldn't remember anything. He still managed to keep his grumbling.

"I won't send you anymore texts. You don't appreciate my efforts to wake up early and talking with you."

— I didn't meant to make fun of you Kkuru, it's just unusual to hear you so unsettled. You're always so confident I sometimes feel you don't want to rely on me.

"But hyung, I'm always showing you how I feel. I don't imagine myself being so open with anyone else. And I'm not confident at all. You always make me lose my cool and end up acting like a cheesy fool. You move a my world, how could you think I'm not unsettled when being with you?"

There was a silent moment where Kyuhyun felt his face feel hot, he was probably the reddest he had been that month. He pursed his lips while waiting for Yesung's answer, which came with loud volume.

— See! You can say something so heartfull without bathing an eye!

"Is that all you're going to say? After everything I just told you?"

— Nope. I also wanted to tell you I love you, with cheesiness and all.

And Yesung said it was Kyuhyun who said the most sappy things. Kyuhyun just managed to mumble a flustered reply, but Yesung could clearly heard the ‘... love you...’ among all the other mysterious sounds. It seems it wasn't only his sleepy self who had problems making coherent words. He had to contain his laughter after remembering it, else he may end up making Kyuhyun angry again. But the memory brought him an idea from that very same morning.

— Oh, right. I think I have a solution for our morning communication problems.

"Do you?"

— Yeah, the emojis! It was way easier to understand how you felt when you used them.

"I pass. I don't want to use emojis for at least a year. I better use voice messages, even when they're kind of annoying as well."

— Oooh, that's a good one.

"I may mumble though."

— Hey, why don't we call each other instead? Oh, wait. We may end up waking the other....

"Let's start with texts and mark when the other responds."

— That sounds good.

They kept talking for some more time, but then Yesung had to go back to work and Kyuhyun had yet to eat, so they said their goodbyes before promising to have a phonecall later at night.

The change of strategy worked, though there were time where understanding each other was difficult. Nonetheless, there was no other incident similar to Kyuhyun's unintelligible messages.

And he did start using emojis again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________
More author's notes: Why do I talk so much about addictions in what's supposed to be a (unnecessarily long) silly emoji fic?

 

Ok, so it's almost three months later, but I finished all entries for KyuSung week kkkkkkkk. Now I can mark this as complete with ease (uwu)

Lol, this was the most difficult one to write because I had so many ideas but no way to connect them all. Then, when I chose a direction, I didn't have any idea on how to finish it. Sorry it took so long.

Thank you all for staying with this. It was really hard to squeeze enough coherence to keep writing but your comments, upvotes and subscriptions motivated me a lot to keep on going. I wanted to return something to you so I decided to finish this properly.

I hope you've had a smooth start of the year and if not, I wish things get better soon. Byebye (⁠。⁠・⁠ω⁠・⁠。⁠)⁠ノ💙