1

Breath In. Breath Out.

Chapter 1

 

The world that we knew was nowhere to see. Everything was destroyed. These past months I had seen things that no one can ever imagine. I was living happy life when everything went wrong and turned in a nightmare. Then the days became full of horror, fear and blood...

 

There were ten people. Ten lucky survivals. A small group living with a small hope. Everyone with different story, with different loss. Now I can’t remember the faces of those people. I was wandering alone for a few days when I found them. The city where I used to live was destroyed and turned in to a desert.  For few weeks life was like a short dream. Days were replaced by a sleepless nights, but we were happy, because we had each other. Suddenly this short dream came to the end. That was the last time I smiled.

 

I remember that night. We were staying in the little camp. After a small dinner I went to sleep.  I woke up from my slumber due to loud noises around me. I couldn’t see but I could feel them, the monsters that will destroy you without thinking. You could hear cries full of pain and fear in the camp. A warm hand took my hand and said that I should run and hide. That moment I forgot how to breathe and fear took control of my body. The same person was pushing me out of the camp. I wanted to help others, but there was nothing I could do then. I was just a teenager without any skills. I left the camp like a coward. That was the last time I heard a voice and felt the warmth of human’s hand.

 

I came back to the camp next morning with hope to see anyone alive. My hope faded away quickly.  Everything was covered in red color. Near the fire place there was a body.  A dead little girl’s body. That was the last time I cried.

 

Alone…

 I was left alone...

 

The days went and I didn’t meet anyone. No living soul could be found. Cities were changed by other cities. All of them were abandoned. I don’t know how long I was traveling, but then by a pure accident I met them.

 My saviors…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

This city was no different from other that I have been. Empty buildings, rusty cars, scattered things. The smell of rotting meat was in the air. The night was coming and it was time to find a place to stay. I was walking in this city for a long time already, but I never noticed the shadow fallowing me already for few hours, waiting for the perfect time…

 

The huge building was before my eyes. It will be my shelter for tonight. I opened the door and darted inside. All you could hear was the howl of wind. Finding a small corner where the cold wind wouldn’t reach me, I was starting to get ready for the night’s rest. Even The last food I ate was two days ago and my stomach was rumbling, still I closed my eyes after deciding to sleep for a bit.

 

I don’t know how much I slept when I heard the noises. The fear came back again. Slowly I opened my eyes to look around. It was sitting in near the exit of room and was looking at me. When he saw my face full of horror he smiled, that bloody smile. This creature was growling at me and his lips. He knew that his late dinner is here.  Now I was shaking, the chances of surviving were slim.

 

The creature stood up.  It was walking slowly towards me. I grabbed a small rock lying next to me and threw at him hoping for a perfect chance to escape. A cry of pain was heard and that’s all I needed... I decided to escape that moment, but suddenly I was on the ground. All I could feel was pain. The creature was on top of me. The sounds of evil laughter were coming from him. It started to touch and the exposed part of my slim body. I was shouting and screaming. The end was coming soon...

 

Suddenly the creature stopped his action. He was listening to something. Then the loud shot was heard. Monster lunged to the place where the shot was heard from and the fight started.  Someone took my lifeless body from the fighting scene. A warm hand was holding me and a soft voice was whispering encouraging words to me and pleadings to don’t give up.

 

“You are save now “

 

Those words were the last thing I heard before everything went black…