That Way: The Other Side

Friends Don’t Look at Friends That Way

She looks at me and everything just stop.

 

I don’t want her like a best friend.

 

Not anymore.

 

When? Since when did everything changed ?

 

Was it when we almost kissed?

 

I hold my breath in, trying not to smell her perfumes. It was too much, everything was.

 

The way that I got to smell her perfume with every breath that I took.

 

The heat of her body against mine and the warmth of her breath tickling the crook of my neck.

 

I look down, wanting to tell her to move a bit. But my eyes is locked with hers instead.

 

And I drowned, in the chocolate orbs of hers. How could they be so beautiful.

 

So enchanting.

 

My gaze moves to her lips. The way it parted and her tongue came out to wet the slightest chapped lips entice me.

 

My head moves lower, unconsciously. Suddenly, our lips were just an inches away from each other.

 

But the bang on the door surprises her and she moves to look at its direction. My lips landing right at the corner of hers.

 

Waves of disappointment hit me. Almost!

 

I almost got a taste of her lips. Almost!

 

But almost is never enough.

 

Are all the teasings that we got from the people around us finally getting into my head?

 

“Watching you two is like watching a long romcom drama. We know the leads are going to fall in love, but we’re still have a long wait until it happens,”

 

“Both of you are giving old married couple’s vibe. Why not just marry for real?”

 

“I swear one of these days we wouldn’t even be surprised if you say you two are together,”

 

How come I have never noticed how cute she looks in her oversized sweater and morning hair? Why now?

 

I have seen her in dresses and suits.

 

Versace.

 

Gucci.

 

Prada.

 

You name it, I have seen it all.

 

I have seen her – now that actually came out wrong, but it’s the truth anyway – and seen her in her best dress.

 

But why can’t I take my eyes off of her now. She is only in her oversized sweaters that barely grazes her mid thigh and her morning hair is still a mess as she sit across me, slurping on her cereals.

 

Why suddenly?

 

How?

 

How did my heart suddenly thumps so hard at the sight of her.

 

Another Friday.

 

And we spend the end of the day at the same playground that we have been visiting every Friday. Shes sitting on the swing next to mine when she suddenly talked about the offer she got.

 

She is getting promoted. But, she would have to leave, not only the neighborhood.

 

The whole continent even.

 

If she accepts the offer, she would be transferred to their branch in Sydney.

Would I be okay?

 

Would I be?

 

Would i?

 

“Should I go?” She asks, and everything in me just screams no.

 

But I can’t be selfish.

 

Right?

 

Who am I to stop her from finding her success?

 

Do I even have the right to?

 

But do I want to stop her?

 

Yes I do.

 

So I opted for a safe answer, not knowing how much I would regret when she reached to a decision herself.

 

“I don’t know. It’s quite a good opportunity for you to just let it pass,”

 

And we stay quiet after that. Until the sun sets and the skies turn dark.

 

Even until the time that we have to leave.

 

That was the first time, that we say goodbye in silence.

 

Why does my heart hurt this much?

 

Why does the thoughts of her leaving scare me this much?

 

Am I falling for her?

 

Or am I just scared to be lonely?

 

I stare at her back as she sit right in front of me. Hearing her sighs, she must have thought that I wouldn’t be here to send her off.

 

“How can I, really?” I mentally scoffed.

 

I saw her scribble something on random piece of paper that she found.

 

I saw her dazed out.

 

What was she thinking about?

 

Is it hard for her to leave, just as much as it is for me?

 

Or is she okay with this separation?

 

Will she ever be?

 

Will I ever be?

 

Okay.

 

“Calling for the passengers for Korean Air flight KE123 to Sydney, Australia. Please proceed to gate M13”

 

She crumples the piece of paper in her hands, tucked it inside the pocket of her jeans and get ready to walk to her gate.

 

She takes the first step, and that is when I realize.

 

I am not okay with her leaving.

 

And I will never be.

 

So I stand up and says, “Don’t leave,”

 

She turns around, eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Don’t leave,” I say.

 

“Why?”

 

“Be … because we’re friends and friends don’t leave friends behind,” my fists clenching tightly and I think there’s probably nails’ mark on my palm.

 

Disappointment.

 

That is what I see in her expressive eyes. And that is when I knew, I ed up.

 

“Then I do want to be your friend anymore,” she says and walk away.

 

Her silhouette getting smaller as the distance between us grew. My heart hurts more with each step that she takes.

 

“Please stay!” I say, this time a bit louder and I can feel people around us staring.

 

Probably thinking that we are shooting a scene from a movie, only there is no camera around for it to be.

 

“Please stay because I can’t imagine my Monday or any other days without you.”

 

“Please stay because I can’t imagine my future without you,”

 

“Please stay because I …”

 

“Because I … I,”

 

Too much. Everything is just too much.

 

The attention.

 

The hurt.

 

The loud thumping of my heart.

 

But I know I have to continue.

 

I have to. Else I’ll be losing the only girl that ever matters in my life.

 

Please stay because I love you,”

 

And she stops from walking away. So I take that as her hints for me to continue.

 

“More than friends. More than myself. More than words could explain. So please stay and let me spend the rest of my life making up to you for I have been stupid and forced you to hurt in silent for so long,”

 

 

 

This is from another person’s POV.

Should I come up with a definite ending or should I stick wit this open ending?

Tell me your opinion on this chapter in the comment.

 

Don’t forget to subscribe and upvote. Thank you.