one.

wilted roses.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

How did that flower petal get there?

Confused, I start to do some research online. Honestly, it is starting to get my mind off my heartbreak.

I type into the search box 'I just coughed up a flower petal' to just see what pops up.

Immediately, some stuff showed up about Hanahaki Disease. I have never heard of it.

So, of course, I make the mistake of looking into it.

The website I click on describes it as "a non-contagious disease caused by unrequited love" and that it causes "flowers to grow in the lungs, stomach, and/or heart of the person infected."

Feeling a lot of concern with this information, I make another mistake by looking into it further.

The website continues to list the symptoms: coughing up flowers, fever, trouble breathing, fatigue and weakness, sharp chest pain, vomiting flowers.

Then, I read further.

This disease is deadly. Most people who catch it, if their feelings are not returned, will die. Only about 10% of people who catch this disease live through it.

I start to panic, laying onto my bed as I begin to shake. I wrap a blanket around myself in hopes that it would calm me down, but it doesn't work.

I definitely have this disease... I'm going to die! I'm too young to die! Please don't let me die!

I begin to sob. I have no idea what to do. 

Do I tell anybody about this? It would be embarrassing to tell somebody I'm dying because my crush doesn't like me back...

But one thing is for certain, Rima cannot know about this. 

I consider it for a moment, thinking maybe if I tell her, she would start loving me to save my life. But even then, it probably wouldn't work because it is not genuine love. I think it has to be genuine love for it to work. So, I would be dying and she would think that it's her fault. I can't have her think that!

It's my fault for foolishly falling in love with her and thinking she might like me back.

I continue to cry on my own until I suddenly hear a key beginning to turn in the lock in the door.

In a panic, I go to my desk and open my laptop, seeming like I am studying as Rima steps into our shared dorm room. 

"Hey, why did you leave so suddenly?" Rima asks me as she puts her bookbag down. "We missed you."

Sure you did. You were too busy eating Nina's face. I want to say sarcastically. But I know it would be rude and it would give me away. 

"What's the matter? You look like you've been crying," Rima's confused voice changes to a rather concerned one. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I let out a heavy sigh. "I just feel so unprepared for the test tomorrow. I felt like I couldn't focus in the library with all of the distractions..."

"Hey, it's going to be okay," Rima walks over towards me and rests her hand on my shoulder, which stirs something within me. "It is only the first test. There are like... three more after this one. So even if you don't do well on this one, you can redeem yourself. And hey, you'll know what to expect for the future tests too," she assures me. "Don't stress yourself too much over just one test. It's not going to define your academic career."

In fact, I know all of this. But, I had to come up with a believable excuse as to why I look like I just finished crying. 

"Why does Calculus have to be so hard?" I whine, turning my attention back to the screen. "And why does everyone have to take this class? I don't think I'm going to go into math!"

"Do you want to try some practice probl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter