two.

wilted roses.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's almost 9 a.m.

Almost time for the Calculus test. 

Though, my mind is somewhere else completely as I ride the campus bus alongside Rima and Nina.

I am absolutely third wheeling right now.

We have to take the bus to this class since the building it is in is all the way on the other side of campus from our residence hall. It would be miserable to make that walk. I think most people would rather a 5 minute bus ride than a 30 minute walk.

I fight the urge to cough as Rima and Nina hold hands in the seats beside mine. I am one kiss away from emailing the professor, telling him I'm sick, and that I'll have to make up the test another day. They better not do that in front of me again.

"How are you feeling about the test, Miihi?" Nina suddenly asks me, turning her attention from Rima to me. "Rima told me you were really nervous yesterday and that's why you left us."

"I'm feeling better about it now," I respond, giving her a fake smile. "Hopefully it is not as hard as we think it will be."

Gosh, I really don't feel well right now. Am I running a fever?

I put a hand to my forehead. It feels warm.

"Good!" Nina smiles happily. "We have to stay positive!"

"Miihi," Rima suddenly speaks as well, taking a better look at me. Though, the way she is looking at me makes my heart quicken its pace. "Are you okay? You don't look too well."

"I'm fine, just tired," I assure Rima. Feeling tired is not a lie, that's for sure. But it is much more than that.

"Okay, good," Rima seems a bit relieved. I'm glad she cares about me at least.

I feel a tickle in my throat as I watch Rima rest her head against Nina's shoulder and tighten her grip around her hand.

Am I going to have to deal with this every time we have to go to this class now? I cannot stand it.

I feel a petal in my throat. But so I do not cough one up in front of Rima, Nina, and everyone else on the bus, I swallow it again. It's probably very bad for me to do that. I probably just need to cough them up. But, anything is better than letting everyone on this bus know that I have Hanahaki Disease.

Finally, the bus reaches our stop.

That 5 minute bus ride felt like it took 5 hours!

We get off the bus together, with Rima and Nina still holding hands. Now, we only have a short walk towards the building the class is in.

"It's cold," Nina mentions, crossing her arms around herself for warmth.

As expected for New York in February. 

"I'm not too cold. Take my coat," Rima offers to her, taking off her coat and reaching up to put it around Nina's shoulders. 

That's a lie, Rima. I can see you shivering.

I thought rather bitterly. She's lying to try to impress Nina! Though Nina didn't even seem to notice.

I'm cold too but no one would lend me their coat.

We were all good friends. With Rima and I moving here from the other side of the world and Nina moving here from the other side of the country, we grew close quick.

I am supposed to be supportive of my friends' relationship, but I just can't. I can't stand seeing Rima with anyone else but me.

We soon enter the warmth of the academic building.

The three of us arrive at class around 8:55 am. 5 minutes before the start of class. 

I sit down in my seat. It's not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter