3 - Bed Sharing / Roommates

Kyuwook Fest 2022 ~ a short ficlet collection~
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bed Sharing / Roommates – Ryeowook has never doubted Kyuhyun's love before, but sometimes scenarios in his mind differ from his reality. Sharing the bed with his lover is the only way to tame his insecurities.

 

The spotlights in the carpeted hallway of the hotel had been dimmed, signalling that it was past midnight and time to go to sleep for all the residents. No one was seen nor heard, until a soft click of a door echoed throughout the corridor. The complimentary, soft slippers silently padded their way till they reached a door just a few metres away from theirs. A soft hand clasped the handle, while the other tapped a magnetic key against the lock, wincing as the unlocking noise resulted even louder in the dead silence of the night.

“Ryeong?” a husky, velvety voice came from the bed. After closing the door behind himself, Ryeowook swirled around, pointing his soft gaze towards the direction the voice was coming from, only to find Kyuhyun comfortably lying against a pile of pillows while still contemplating his huge book.

“I thought you wanted to take your time while packing your stuff,” bewildered, Kyuhyun kept on looking at Ryeowook who took off his spongey bathrobe and tossed it onto a soft armchair somewhere in a corner of the room. Wearing nothing but a wrinkly, large t-shirt and a pair of shorts, he quickly reached the king-sized bed and crawled on it, wanting to reach the empty spot by Kyuhyun’s side.

“I’m done with packing, everything is ready for our departure, tomorrow,” he calmly explained as he took his sweet time arranging a few pillows next to his lover and then plunge into the soft comfortability of the mattress.

Setting aside his book – who had any time to read books when your cute boyfriend was nestling by your side, anyway – Kyuhyun let out a soft giggle. He moved his arm so that Ryeowook could scoot closer to his body and then held the man against his chest, where Ryeowook rested his head.

“I want to sleep with you tonight,” Ryeowook softly admitted, amidst a small yawn.

“You’ve spent the last three days ignoring my invitations, but you’re using the spare key I gave you just now?” Kyuhyun asked, confused.

Shrugging, Ryeowook placed a hand over Kyuhyun’s stomach, before slipping it around his waist and hugging the man tighter, as if he were hugging a giant body pillow. There was something bittersweet in the way he clung to his lover and Kyuhyun could feel it. It was making him a bit distressed and concerned.

“I know,” Ryeowook admitted “I just wanted to enjoy a bit of time with myself and my own routine, nothing against you,” he mumbled, repeating what he had told Kyuhyun ever since the first day they had reached London and settled in their respective hotel rooms. All the members were given a set of two keys each for their own bedrooms, however Ryeowook and Kyuhyun usually exchanged one so that they could freely come and go from the other’s too.

“You’ve told me that already,” Kyuhyun replied, gently caressing Ryeowook’s hip to comfort him better. “Are you alright? Nothing’s wrong?” Kyuhyun asked, a bit of concern stained his voice while his warm, big hand slipped through the cotton fabric of Ryeowook’s t-shirt to make all his loving gestures feel even more intimate as his fingers lightly skimmed on the bare skin of his lover. Ryeowook’s breath evened while he softly purred like a kitten in the hands of his owner: “Don’t you ever ask yourself what would it be like if we weren’t together? If we hadn’t been roommates?” he asked, out of the blue.

Stilling, it took a few seconds for Kyuhyun to realize the kind of question Ryeowook had just blurted. He furrowed his brows in confusion as he found a way to answer without sounding alarmed by that impromptu quiz. Sixteen years later and that had been in no way, for either of them, source for questioning the spontaneity and naturalness of how their relationship had come to be.

Why starting now?

“I don’t,” Kyuhyun simply answered, making Ryeowook stir in the hug so now he was propping himself on his hand while taking a good, puzzled look at Kyuhyun, doing it so he could perhaps detect the authenticity of his lover’s words.

“You… don’t?” Ryeowook asked again, confused “Why?”

Kyuhyun blinked several times as he looked down at Ryeowook, quickly blurting out: “I’m sorry, Ryeong, but why would I re-think sixteen years of my life spent with you, my best friend and lover?”

“B-because-“ Ryeowook blushed hard, looking even cuter as he fumbled with a way of expressing himself “I sometimes look at you during your tv shows, surrounded by pretty ladies all fawning about you and your amazing skills and-“

“And you should be thankful I don’t want to be with any of them but you!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, almost in shock after hearing Ryeowook sharing such a stupid insight that was coming from his insecurity. After all those years… Ryeowook should have known better than question their mutual feelings.

“I am!” Ryeowook pouted, quickly clarifying, the apples of his cheeks were warm and pink under Kyuhyun’s touch, who was cupping Ryeowook’s face in his hands so to direct his boyfriend’s look straight into his own “Don’t misunderstand me, I am grateful about all the years we’ve been together but,”

“I want to hear no buts, Ryeong,” Kyuhyun told him, brushing his thumbs along the other man’s cheekbones “What’s going on in your mind? Do you want to break up with me?!” the younger one worriedly asked because if he had been the first one to pronounce such a scary sentence, perhaps he might have been able to stigmatize it and push the whole idea away too.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter