5 - Marry U

Kyuwook Fest 2022 ~ a short ficlet collection~
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Marry U – A simple gesture, one question, could change their lives forever on that last, meaningful day. Especially if Ryeowook is afraid Kyuhyun could be in a ditch because... duh, why is it so difficult to pick up the phone?

 

Grumpy like he had never been before in his whole life – and that was quite the statement, since he was pretty good at sulking as a weapon to demand things from people – Ryeowook angrily shoved his clothes back into the small carry-on he had taken with him after splitting from the other members, in London.

“Wait and see, Cho Kyuhyun,” he mumbled through his pursed lips while moving around the room to gather his personal belongings “If I were you I wouldn’t even show your face to me,”

Trying his best to push everything into the suitcase, Ryeowook had to eventually give up on his plan to roll up layers of clothes into a single ball when he realised the two halves of the bag wouldn’t properly shut. He loudly groaned as he pulled everything out and on the bed once more. Angrily, one by one, his clothes were tossed everywhere before Ryeowook could talk himself into keeping his cool and neatly folding them back the correct way. Perhaps that might help.

It was late afternoon and, surely he knew he had to pack his things to get ready to travel up north to Rome so they could get on the one-way direct flight to Seoul the next day, however that wasn’t exactly the kind of last day Ryeowook had envisioned to spend in such a beautiful place: lonely and grumpy while recollecting his thoughts and feelings.

After making exciting plans and promising his boyfriend to finally hire a boat to reach the astonishing Blue Grotto, Kyuhyun had left rather early and without any other words but a simple “I’ll be right back, okay?” murmured through a kiss they exchanged after their sumptuous breakfast.

Half a day later, Ryeowook was still wondering where Kyuhyun might have gone without caring to send him any updates on his whereabouts.

Pulling his head higher, Ryeowook took a quick glance at the orange sky casting a powerful, lukewarm light through the window and everywhere in the messy bedroom. He sighed, saddened by the fact that that would have been the last sunset he was going to witness on that magical isle, and the first one without his lover by his side.

No matter where they were, on the beach or taking a walk through the old, narrow streets back downtown, Ryeowook was always accompanied by Kyuhyun, who had also sworn to him that they would always watch the sunsets together, for as long as they were allowed to be together on earth.

The fact that now Ryeowook was sitting on the bed, rather disheartened, surrounded by his things, alone in the messy room that looked as if a small tornado had just decided to target that very same area to sweep things around in confusion, was making him feel concerned as well.

Going through pretty much all the stages of anger, Ryeowook was now nearing despair as he took his phone into his shaky hands and typed another message directed to Kyuhyun.

“Please, call me back so I can understand if you’re still alive,” Ryeowook typed, now very worried as per why Kyuhyun wouldn’t even bother replying or calling him at all. What kind of urgent business did he have in a foreign country, to be this out of reach?

Ryeowook quickly scrolled through all the messages he had sent, the beginning of which had no sign to be left on read, therefore Kyuhyun was actively checking his phone at some point.

“Come on,” he muttered again, intensely staring at the screen as if his mental powers had any special ability to manifest Kyuhyun’s reply.

Nothing happened, though.

Sighing, inconsolable, Ryeowook tossed the phone on the bed, before letting his back fall on it as well. Cautiously, he looked at the ceiling, lulled by the distant waves crashing against the shore. He loved the smell of the sea permeating the air, it made him feel nostalgic but also satiated, as if he were able to wholly reconnect with parts of himself that were past forgotten, maybe buried. Oh how much needed was one of Kyuhyun’s tight hugs right now?

Tired, Ryeowook closed his eyes, acknowledging that sleep was about to take over, when he heard a soft knock on the door which drove him to spring up and skip all the way across the bedroom.

Quickly grasping the handle, he twisted it so to open the door. In his mind there was nothing but a mix of words that wouldn’t make any sense as he didn’t quite know how he would have greeted Kyuhyun yet. Would he be ragingly angry still? Or more relieved to see him finally back, into his arms where he belonged? Ryeowook couldn’t really tell.

What he could say for sure was that he couldn’t be any more aware of his disappointment completely bared on his face, when he noticed that the person on the other side of the door wasn’t Kyuhyun.

A kid with messy, blond curls and the sun-kissed skin showing from his baggy shorts and tank top was smiling in front of Ryeowook, who looked terrified as he didn’t know how to politely tell the kid to go away and leave him alone.

Thankfully, there was no need to get lost in useless words, because the kid simply motioned forward as he reached out to Ryeowook and handed him a small piece of paper.

Curiously fiddling with the finely decorated card, Ryeowook spotted a neat handwriting that he immediately recognised as Kyuhyun’s. His heart immediately swelled as he took in a deep breath of relief. Perhaps plotting things he could hardly understand, but at least Kyuhyun was somewhere, alive and breathing, and not at the bottom of a ditch like Ryeowook was beginning to imagine due to the lack of response.

“Shining in the sunlight
You’re smiling dazzlingly
As I look at your beautiful face
I’ve gone blind.

Let’s go to the secret island with only each other,
Name the first star we meet and stay there.”

“Hey! Where did you get this?” Ryeowook tried to ask the kid, who had already ran away and was nowhere to be seen. The words he had just read were taken from the first verse of one of Kyuhyun’s latest songs: Together.

The lyrics of the song, without even realising it, were summing up that idyllic getaway they had just had on such a beautiful island. And Ryeowook was starting to wonder whether that holiday had been thoroughly planned because inspired by such a song. It wouldn’t make any other sense.

Mentioning the sunshine, summer days idly spent in the company of each other, the moon and the star shining over the secret island… everything was leading Ryeowook to think that impromptu holiday was intricately linked to such a sweet, melancholic song.

“Kyu?” he called from the door, expecting Kyuhyun to show up at his command.

No answe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter