Chapter 2

Battle of the Stars

Chunji spent the weekend thinking about it long and hard, and he had come to the decision that he could do as Niel seemed to want. He could act as though nothing had happened between them. Though he was still a little irked by the thought he'd somehow managed to incur the other boy's hatred. They'd have to sort something out between them about that, or there would be a very unpleasant tension underlying all group interactions from now on.

 

From what Chunji had been able to gather, L. Joe had just been waiting until everyone knew who Niel was before he invited the new kid to come sit with them. Which meant that although they weren't in classes together, Chunji was now going to be seeing Niel on a daily basis.

 

He couldn't decide if the thought made him happy or sad.

 

He had decided that his defeat at Singstar was meaningless in the grand scheme of things. He wasn't so arrogant or stupid as to see that loss as the end of the universe. He could see past that, even if it irked him a little to know that he'd finally found a worthy competitor. He had a lot of respect for Niel and his abilities. Chunji could even say that he could easily see the two of them becoming friends, now that the younger boy had made an impression on him as an interesting sort of person.

 

But then that just reminded him about the kiss. Chunji couldn't say he was too fussed about the kiss. It hadn't been his first kiss, and judging from Niel's reaction, It hadn't been his first either. It didn't seem like anything to make a big deal about really. Sure it was a little disconcerting to know that the two of them might kiss as a result of any passionate confrontations between the two of them. But that could be taken care of.

 

Niel's hatred of him on the other hand...

 

He didn't even know what he could have done to make the other boy hate him. The two of them had only been in the same room as one another for a few hours before Niel had made his judgement. Although their argument and subsequent kiss, couldn't have helped Chunji, he was pretty certain that Niel already hated him by that time. And with how desperate L. Joe seemed to be for the two of them to meet one another and become friends, he doubted his best friend had been spilling anything incriminating about him to the other boy.

 

So why did Niel hate him?

 

He felt uncomfortable now that he knew Niel hated him. It felt like the most important thing in the world to find out why he did. He couldn't stand the thought that he was hated for some unknown reason. He had never known anyone that had displayed their hatred for him so prominently, and it concerned him the the person with all of these negative feelings directed towards him, was supposed to become his friend. He couldn't stand the idea of fighting with someone that sat with him everyday. He just wanted to clear the air between them; to have the chance to explain himself. Maybe it was all a misunderstanding and then they could go on to become good friends.

 

But then he got irritated by how desperate he felt to make peace with the younger boy. He was the oldest. He hadn't done anything wrong. Why should he have to go grovelling to some young, new kid, begging for a chance to make things right between them. He hadn't done anything, so why should he need to apologise like that. If anything, Niel should be apologising to him for the way that he's been acting ever since they first met.

 

Chunji groaned as he made his way through the school gates, realising as he walked, that he must've dawdled on his way to school. Curse Niel for making him think about him so much! Normally Chunji made it to school with around 5 or 10 minutes in which he could speak to his friends before class. Now, because he had gotten distracted, he made it into the school grounds just in time for the bell to ring. Now he wouldn't get to see anyone until recess, which was a good two and a bit hours away.

 

He stomped childishly as he walked, not in any particular hurry to make it to his class. His classroom was nearby; he'd make it into the room ages before his teacher, no matter how long he took, given how close he was. Besides, with the Niel centred thoughts that had been cycling through his mind almost non-stop, he couldn't exactly call himself eager to start learning; he probably wouldn't be able to focus properly today.

 

He sighed as he passed the office, noting with only distant interest the swarms of other students trickling past him. The hyper conscientious students would already be long gone by now, but the average and unmotivated students were still walking further into the school. Even the slowest students, who would stand around talking for 5 minutes after the bell, had started moving. Perhaps that was why, during his cursory appraisal of his colleagues, the group huddled over by the gym caught Chunji's attention.

 

There was a group of about 6 boys, none of whom were moving. They were too far away for Chunji to be able to see their faces, and he found he was a little uncomfortable at their arrangement. It seemed as though they were crowding around one person, so that they would be unable to leave. Chunji hesitated, as he observed them, wondering if perhaps he should make his way over to them. Something about it all made him feel restless.

 

He almost expected them to start throwing punches and kicks at the person, but nothing happened. Chunji could only guess that they were talking about something. He guessed the other person would probably be alright, and sure enough a moment later the group started to break up.

 

Chunji had been right that they had been surrounding someone, who waited until they had moved a good distance away before he started to proceed to class. He could tell it was a guy because of the uniform he was wearing, even if his crossed arms and hunched shoulders meant that Chunji could no longer see the emblem on his blazer.

 

He couldn't decide how he felt when the other boy came close enough for Chunji to be able to pinpoint his identity.

 

Niel.

 

The part of him that hated the younger boy, saw this as his just desserts. That he deserved to get a stern talking to by one of his elders for his attitude. But a much larger part of him was concerned. He was worried what the other boys could have said to him that would make him look so troubled.

 

Chunji considered tugging him aside to ask him; to make sure he was okay, but he couldn't bring himself to do it right now. At this rate he was probably going to be late for class. That thought alone might not have bothered him so much, being such a good pupil, that his teacher would probably forgive his tardiness, but what purpose would it serve? Niel hated him. He would probably just get angry at him and say it's none of his business. It might only serve to make things worse between them, then how would they be able to become friends?

 

Chunji supposed the only thing he could do would be to tell one of the other guys. It's not like he could help. It was a miracle that Chunji himself was left more or less alone by the other students. During school hours he was one of the top students in school, and under normal circumstances, that should have resulted in some sort of backlash from other students. Especially when his lack of real muscle tone was added into the mix.

 

Niel would need someone like CAP to take care of him in this instance. Chunji noted with interest that CAP did seem to be a little protective of Niel at L. Joe's party. Chances were good that CAP would help the younger boy out. Course of action decided, Chunji made his way to class, planning on informing CAP about what happened, the moment that he got there.

 

Though with how late it was, he might have to wait until their first class finished before he tried speaking with him.

 

- -

 

Chunji kept his ears wide open to all of the conversation between the group members at recess. He was trying to work out if any of them were talking about the incident before school that day. Niel was being so animated as he talked to Ricky and Changjo, despite how recently he'd met both of them, and the differences in their ages. He felt a little jealous, knowing that Niel had spent the same amount of time around those two as himself, and while they had earned the right to see this side of him, he had only garnered the younger boy's dislike.

 

He was a bit disappointed as well. The Niel that they got to see seemed to be so much fun; full of energy and life. He could easily say that he liked this side of Niel.

 

It was a shame that he wasn't going to get to see it.

 

The moment Niel's eyes landed on him, he could see the way they clouded over. He'd been so vivacious; so open but the moment Chunji was near him he shut down. He internalised. He drew completely within himself, saying as little as possible. They flickered slightly, before sliding away, Niel not even bothering to look at Chunji; to acknowledge his existence in any way.

 

Chunji wondered if that flicker had been because of his concerns about what had happened this morning. But Niel gave no indication that he knew, Chunji had seen what had happened that morning. It seemed the response was just because of his hatred once again. Chunji had to suppress a sigh at that, even if he felt a little relieved.

 

Perhaps he'd been worried for no reason after all. He'd have to tell CAP. But instinct told him that he was being too optimistic.

 

As recess was ending, CAP drew Niel aside, as the other members of their group split up, making their way to their respective classes. Chunji cringed, as he turned to leave, able to feel Niel's harsh glare upon him. Clearly CAP had taken what he said to heart, and hadn't been kind enough to leave his name out of it.

 

Niel knew that Chunji had sold him out.

 

Suddenly he felt like lunch was going to come far too soon.

 

- -

 

Chunji was almost tempted to go and ask his teacher something after class, just so he wouldn't have to go see his friends right now. But just one look in his teacher's direction, made him reconsider that plan. What sane teenager is so reluctant to see their friends during lunchtime?

 

He walked much more slowly than usual. He considered going to the library instead, but his stomach grumbled. It had been too long since he last ate; he wouldn't be able to last until he got home before eating something. Besides, a trip to the canteen, when you were as far back in the line as he was bound to be, would definitely delay him for a while. He might've been able to lose up to half of his lunch break, waiting to be served.

 

He felt a little sick at the thought that he saw waiting for so long as a relief. Darn Niel for making him feel guilty. He could only imagine what the younger boy was going to have to say to him after his and CAP's little chat earlier. He had no idea what that boy was capable of.

 

Immediately images of Niel attacking and murdering him flashed before his eyes. He was so distracted, he was only vaguely aware of L. Joe calling him from the middle line. He shook his head distractedly, sending his friend an abashed grin as he approached him. “Hey.”

 

“Hey. What's up?” L. Joe queried, with a grin. They might have been good friends, but because Chunji was older than L. Joe they weren't in the same classes, and so they didn't hang out very much during school hours. But they more than made up for it during lunchtimes and after school, when they would walk home together.

 

Chunji shrugged good naturedly, “Eh, you know. I was hoping to get something to eat, but it looks like it could take a while.” he commented idly, gesturing back at the rest of the line indifferently. It wouldn't hurt to spend a few minutes here, talking with L. Joe, instead of going to the back of the line, to wait in silence.

 

L. Joe nodded his agreement, before giving his friend a grin, “What were you planning on getting?” he enquired, curiously.

 

Chunji paused momentarily, never having made it any further in his thoughts than deciding to get something from the canteen. “Oh yeah, ugh... I'm not sure. I suppose it depends what's left when I get up to the counter.”

 

L. Joe scoffed, “Judging from the length of the line, that would be nothing.” crossing his arms as though he were looking down on his friend's stupidity. Chunji gave him a light shove, forcing L. Joe to stumble backwards slightly.

 

“Hey!” L. Joe exclaimed with a laugh, gaze falling, embarrassed when he bumped into a random girl. “Hand over your money.” he stated, gesturing with his outstretched hand, for Chunji to do so quickly.

 

“What? What for?” Chunji demanded, gobsmacked. L. Joe wasn't the sort of person to reveal his thought processes without being asked to do so. Chunji couldn't think of any reason why he should give L. Joe money, and he wouldn't put it past the other boy to say so, in the hopes Chunji would end up paying for something for him.

 

L. Joe rolled his eyes, “Gee may—” he began, Chunji jumping in with a bout of childish laughter, “Gee, gee, gee, baby baby baby” he continued, ducking his head, cheeks a little pink, when he saw the odd look L. Joe was giving him. “Sorry. Please, continue.”

 

“As I was saying, maybe because I'm planning on getting you something to eat when I get up to the counter.” L. Joe finished, with a shrug. Chunji smiled, but it felt as though it wasn't very strong. He was grateful that his friend was offering to do this for him, but at the same time, he was a little reluctant to hurry over to sit with the group.

 

“Isn't that nice of you.” Chunji commented, as he started pulling his coins out of his right pocket, counting out the change he was handing to the younger boy, “I'm not sure I can remember the last time you offered to be this nice for no reason.”

 

“Well, maybe I have a reason.” L. Joe commented slyly, but noting the curious look his friend sent him, he nodded in the direction of where they sat with their friends. “And that reason would be?” Chunji questioned with a raised eyebrow, when L. Joe showed no signs of continuing.

 

L. Joe gave his friend an assessing gaze, as though he were deciding whether he would answer him or not. Finally he sighed, running a hand lightly through his hair as he moved up in the line. “I don't like the thought of Niel being out there by himself. CAP has mentioned to me before that some guys have been messing with him, and Ricky and Changjo need to go to the library today. CAP is at practice today, so Niel is out there by himself. I want you to go keep him company until I can join you.”

 

Chunji shuffled in discomfort. After his little discussion with CAP earlier, the thing Chunji had most wanted to avoid was to be anywhere near Niel. Now L. Joe was saying that he wanted the two of them to be alone together. “Ah... Are you sure that's really a good idea?” Chunji questioned lightly.

 

L. Joe gave his friend a curious stare, “Why wouldn't it be?”

 

Chunji fumbled for a moment, not sure what sort of answer he could give the other boy that would explain everything. “He....doesn't seem to like me...much..” Chunji commented, noting the blank look L. Joe gave him in return. He felt nervous, with the look L. Joe was giving him.

 

There was no way he was going to get out of this.

 

“Okay you know what never mind. I'll see you soon.” he commented, with a shrug, dropping the money into L. Joe's palm, as he left the canteen. He tried to give off an impression of cool, confidence, but really his heart rate jumped.

 

He could see Niel sitting on one of the metallic benches, alone, but he nearly froze when the boy lifted his head. It would have been childish, but a part of him hoped that maybe if he stopped moving Niel wouldn't see him. But the realisation that Niel might see his fear if he were to do so, hurt his pride more than his fanciful thoughts.

 

Niel turned away from him, but the action did nothing to calm Chunji's racing heart. He'd been dreading this moment for hours. Perhaps he'd been dreading this moment since he first realised Niel hated him. Maybe it went back even further.

 

He sat down beside the younger boy, the silence hung between them awkwardly. Niel huffed, arms crossed. He was clearly very agitated at having to be so close to Chunji. He supposed he couldn't blame him. The other boy already hated his guts and then Chunji telling on him earlier, couldn't have helped that in any way.

 

“Why did you have to do that?” Niel demanded, irately, his body still turned away from Chunji as he spoke. Chunji could gather that it was probably to help Niel control himself, although a small part of him wondered whether he was concerned about expressing his anger or his clear desire for him.

 

“What do you mean? Why did I have to talk about this morning, or why did I have to tell CAP in particular?” Chunji queried.

 

“Both.” Niel grumbled.

 

“I dunno.” Chunji began, hesitantly, this was the closest he'd come to having a normal conversation with the other boy since they'd first met, it felt important somehow. “It just looked like you were in some sort of trouble. It didn't look right, and you and CAP seem close. I figured I should let him know, that it looked like you were....” he wasn't sure how he should finish that sentence.

 

“It's no trouble. Some guys from my class wanted to have a few words with me, that's all. Now you've got him all worried about me.” Niel huffed, “You're just being a nuisance. So stop butting your nose into my business, okay?” he finished.

 

Chunji knew he should have expected that sort of response from the younger boy, but still he felt a little hurt. He'd only been trying to look out for him. So what if Niel hated him, wasn't he allowed to do the right thing by him? Knowing that he was getting in trouble for worrying CAP, just made Chunji feel a bit defensive. He hadn't done anything wrong. But he held his tongue, knowing that anything he said at this point would only make things worse.

 

- -

 

“Was he alright?” L. Joe questioned as they started walking home. Chunji threw his friend a curious look, wondering what he could have been talking about, before his eyes widened in realisation. L. Joe was enquiring about Niel.

 

The younger boy seemed to think that they could only talk about Niel when they were alone. That their conversations about the younger boy should be a private matter. This was the first moment they'd had alone since lunch. Maybe he should try telling L. Joe about what was going on between the two of them? But then again, L. Joe seemed so sure that they'd become good friends. He didn't want to disappoint him.

 

“Yeah, he was fine.” Chunji responded, his answer probably sounding a little forced because of that momentary pause.

 

If L. Joe noticed the hesitation, he gave no indication of it. “Ah I'm glad. That boy's got enough to worry about without having some of the guys hassling him.” he confided, relieved.

 

“What do you mean?” Chunji asked, finding himself very curious about Niel. It felt like every scrap of information he found out about the boy might help him shed some light on what was going on between them, and help him fix it. Right now he knew absolutely nothing about the other boy.

 

L. Joe waved airily, “Oh you know, being the new kid at a new school. You know he only just moved here as well? And then there's the fact that he lives alone, at our age, can you believe it?” avidly informing his friend about the other boy.

 

Hearing about Niel's home life made Chunji feel a little guilty. He knew that their fight really wasn't his fault, but at the same time it felt like he was adding to the younger boy's problems. L. Joe was right. Niel had enough things to worry about already. He might not have been actively trying to antagonise the younger boy, but he knew that avoiding him and not talking to him certainly wasn't going to help things between them. It made him sad that they had to have such a bad start at getting to know one another.

 

He decided that he'd have to apologise to Niel. He didn't know what he could have done, but that didn't mean that he shouldn't apologise. That he shouldn't try and give them a fresh start. He'd have to lay their squabble to rest once and for all.

 

- -