Reflecting

Just the Two of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JONG KOOK’S P.O.V:

Today, I woke up with an empty house. No Ji Hyo, No Min Hee. When I went downstairs, I only saw a note on the countertop and the dishes that Ji Hyo cooked for me so that I won’t starve today. When I read the letter, I really wanted to punch myself. I tried to call her, but her phone was turned off already and all I can do at that time was to cry and ask myself where they went. I wasn’t able to eat the dishes that she prepared, and I wasn’t able to go to work because I’m so devastated. Other people might think that I’m really seeing that lady in the office back then, but I’m really not. It is true that I already cut the connection between me and her long ago after that sinful night. I should really blame Haha with this mishap that’s happening right now, but I just can’t because even that brother of mine, was drunk and he said that he was not in his own bedroom too that very night. As I sat behind the counter in the kitchen with my hands supporting my head, I start reflecting on my wrongdoings.

 

4 YEARS AGO:

This is where it all began. 4 years ago at the company meeting that was being held in the conference room of my company. We were having a problem in one of the factories at that moment and at the same time, we were having a decline in sales. I told my employees to just be open with the money that’ll be used for fixing the equipment in the factory as long as they put it in the inventory, but then I found out that there’s this bastard who tried to take advantage of this. Well, I was able to fix it at the end of the day, but the decline in sales is still ongoing, that, I held a meeting to think about a new strategy to be used to turn things around. As I encounter these problems, my friend Dong Hoon, who is also part of my company, asked me to have a night out with him to remove the worries I had at that moment. Well, I hesitated at first, accepting Dong Hoon’s request, but then I decided to call my wife. Anyway, at this moment, my wife doesn’t know about the ongoing hitch in the company, but I still let her know my whereabouts every time I go out.

“ Yeobo” She quickly answered.

“ Yeobo, what are you doing? Did you eat your dinner already?” 

“ Yeah, I ate earlier with Min Hee. She’s asleep already after playing.”

“ Aigoo, she must’ve been so tired. I missed her the whole day”

“ Yeah, she is. And she missed you too, our baby asked me to relay this to you. What about you, did you have your dinner already?”

“ Yes, I’m still finishing up some papers for the meeting. But Dong Hoon asked me to drink with him.”

“ Ah Dong Hoon oppa. Okay, you can go. Don’t drink too much, you won’t be able to drive if you’re drunk.”

“ But I was expecting that you won’t allow me.” I jokingly said to her and she laughed

“ Oppa. Why wouldn’t I? you know that I trust you more than anything else. You won’t do funny business while drinking outside right?”

“ Of course, I won’t. I will behave I promise.”

“ As you should! (I laughed as she said that ‘cause I can clearly see her face scrunching while saying that sentence) You should go then. Be careful, if you can’t drive, call me and I’ll ask my driver to pick you up. I’m not ready to lose you yet. Understand?”

“ Yes, yes. I understand. You sleep early and don’t wait for me. Love you yeobo.”

“ Arasseo. Enjoy your night, no funny business oh? Nado saranghae.”

That next morning, I thought I safely got home, but then I saw myself in a different environment- a different room and with a different woman beside me. I was ing scolding myself for the slip-up when I promised my lovely wife that I won’t do any funny business outside and against her, but here I am, under the white sheets of what seemed a hotel room. I can’t believe that I’ll be sleeping beside a random woman the whole night when I was supposed to be lying by my wife’s side. After waking up, the headache welcomed me as usual, but seeing the situation I am in right now, I endured the pain and got up from the bed to go home of course. The woman woke up after I buckled up my belt and greeted me, but I ignored her and immediately walked out of the building.

 

BACK TO PRESENT:

As I remember that sinful night, I decided to stand from where I am sitting right now and grab a whiskey and sat at the bar I had at home, yes it’s still early, but I can't help myself from doing it. I’m so frustrated these past few days. If I didn’t drink myself into oblivion that night, I won’t lose the beautiful family that I have right now. I hurt the most precious person that I have in my life. She’s so understanding towards me, but all that I give her was pain. As I was thinking about it, Kwang Soo went inside our house. I’m so shocked because he’s in Korea again after so many years. He was so shocked to see me drinking so early in the morning, but I think he knew already and still tried to remain calm and didn’t ask me about it.

“ Hyeong, why are you drinking so early in the morning?”

“ I just feel like drinking up.”

“ Don’t you have work to do? And where is noona? Why can’t I see her and Min Hee around?”

“ Kwang Soo yah. I know that you know why she isn’t here. And yes, she leave me already. Because I’m a bastard, I hurt Ji Hyo so deeply that she already filed for a divorce.” He looked at me with disbelief present in his eyes.

He grabbed my collar, our faces inches apart. With gritted teeth, he told me, “Then what are you doing here hyeong? You’re supposed to find her. Find Min Hee! This is not you, I know what happened years ago, but it, you should find them and seek her forgiveness. Noona is badly hurt, yes, but you shouldn’t stop begging. I know it’ll hurt your pride, but knowing her, she won’t file a divorce and leave it in your care knowing that you won’t give it to her lawyer so easily! That means, she’s trying to give you one last chance! Why are you being a coward again? You should conquer everything! You promised me hyeong, you promised me that you’ll take care of her, but look at you.” He let go of my shirt and slumped back in the seat beside me.

“ But Ji Hyo told me that she can’t take it anymore. I shouldn’t hold her back because she’s suffocated already. I don’t wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter