Rapport

This Wave of Feelings

 

The other performances went on and Jessica found herself getting inspired by the different stage performances set by the students. There were a number of performances that had caught her eyes.

 

Wenwen, in particular, had amazed Jessica with the former’s guitar prowess, vocals, and charisma. The musician had not only impressed Jessica with her amazing stage presence, but also with how well Wenwen had balanced playing an instrument while singing.

 

Cici had also surprised Jessica with a carefree performance that ended up stunning everyone with a last-minute magic trick of suddenly throwing flower petals on stage. The tall girl’s magic trick had made everyone wonder where she had hidden her flowers during her vibrant performance. But then, there were also other surprises from the other performances.

 

Liu Lian had also been a person of interest for most of the students for she had opted for a more theatrical performance rather than showing a band experience, given her preference to playing the keyboard. Jessica was impressed with how smooth Liu Lian had transitioned from playing one instrument to another.

 

Things got even more exciting for the new student when she witnessed performances from Xinling, the TWINS, and Weiwei. The four seniors have shown off their vocal abilities which wowed the audience. Jessica was also surprised that the TWINS did not perform as a duo, but as individuals with their respective songs. The first day had started out great and more enjoyable as the day progressed.

 

+++

 

A lunch break finally got everyone the reprieve of just sitting in the grand hall and the nerve-wrecking wait that would grip those who have yet to perform. Jessica looked at the busy mess hall where everyone sat down for lunch. It was packed with students, both familiar faces and unfamiliar ones.

 

“Hey, Jess.” Wenwen approached her, taking Jessica’s tray from her hands, “Come and sit with us.” Jessica felt hesitant when she followed Wenwen to the table already occupied by Cici, Lili, Jinyan, and Er Jie. Had Jinyan not been already eating with Er Jie, Jessica would have thought that the table had been reserved for Er Jie and her dormmates.

 

“Hello, Jessie. Sit down and eat. We only have an hour before the afternoon performances and the team building sessions start.” Er Jie motioned for Jessica to take her place across the table.

 

A slender student with long dark hair and a charming smile approached their table and casually sat down on the vacant seat beside Jessica. Jinyan and Wenwen’s eyes lit up when the newcomer joined them at the table. Jessica was familiar with her face as she had seen her in one of the dorms but could not remember her name.

 

“Xiao Ai, I believe you have met Jessie?” Er Jie asked the newcomer.

 

“I remember you from when Xiaolei jie introduced you to us at the dorm.” Xiao Ai addressed her seatmate, “Everyone here has heard of you.”

 

Jessica felt like clamming up when she heard Xiao Ai’s remark. “I-I guess, the academy doesn’t really take in newcomers?”

 

“Oh, we do. I mean, I’m new here, myself.” Xiao Ai replied with a chuckle, “I’m Zhang Tian’Ai but Er Jie here, always calls me Xiao Ai.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Xiao Ai. I think you already know my name since you’ve heard of me, but you can call me Jess. I would think that everyone talks about me because I’m a foreigner?”

 

“I believe so and everyone’s interested in your talents. No foreigner has entered Phoenix Academy for a thousand years, so you’re special.” Xiao Ai said with a gentle smile, “I’m actually looking forward to see you dance since our teachers had mentioned of wanting to see you dance.”

 

“Yeah, Jessie. I am curious at how good you are at dancing.” Lili added.

 

“I am looking forward to seeing you perform a dance number the next time.” Cici interjected.

 

Jessica blushed at their enthusiasm in wanting to see her dance, “Maybe next time.”

 

“We look forward to it.” Wenwen grinned, her eyes meeting Jessica, further reddening the latter’s cheeks as a result.

 

“Oh my, your face is flushed, are you okay?” Xiao Ai asked, concern etched on her face.

 

“No, I’m fine.” Jessica replied, only to be pulled into a nice warm hug by Xiao Ai.

 

“I bet you’re cold in that outfit of yours. I’ll keep you warm.” Xiao Ai muttered against her hair, making Jessica feel her cheeks reddening once more. The moment was not missed by the others at the table and Er Jie chuckled at the two when Xiao Ai finally pulled away.

 

“Tian’Ai, are you trying to hit on Jessie already?” Er Jie teased, making the others at the table roar in laughter.

 

Wenwen smiled bitterly along, her eyes never leaving Jessica as the latter joined Tian’Ai in trying to refute Er Jie’s teasing remarks.

 

Jessica felt more relaxed with the group of people around her as they continued with their small conversations. She picked up a few lines in Mandarin thanks to her newfound friends who were all eager to teach her.

 

+++

 

A/N: Sorry for the slow updates. Things have been hectic with my life. For the meantime, has anyone watched Seaside Band?! It's fun and awesome! Love the sisters involved in it! :3 And we got more KelSic moments too! :3 Hope everyone's winding down for the holidays! :D