Cici and Lili

This Wave of Feelings

 

Jessica was even more surprised when they exited the posh restaurant only to find Cici and Lili, both sporting helmets, leaning against a motorbike. Jessica almost bumped against Wenwen’s back when the latter paused to glare at her stalker dormmates. And judging by Wenwen’s unsurprised expression, the latter had clearly expected her two roommates to stalk them on their dinner outing.

 

“Don’t tell me you two were stalking us at the restaurant.” Wenwen sighed in exasperation, her tone in English very much different from her native Mandarin.

 

Lili grinned sheepishly while Cici maintained a calm smile, all the while reasoning in English, “Hey, we just wanted to tag along but you just wanted Jessie for yourself.”

 

Jessica blushed when she heard Cici’s witty remark, which had left Wenwen speechless and had prompted Jessica to hide her face behind Wenwen’s back. The two troublemakers in helmets only chuckled as they watched Wenwen’s jaw open yet unable to counter Cici’s quip.

 

Wenwen blinked, surprised by what Cici had said, taking a moment before she finally composed herself, “You both should know better than to think this dinner was something other than my way of saying thanks to Jess for finding my precious lyric sheet.”

 

“Oh, come one, Yu Wenwen! You never thanked us like this. Well, you never treated us to this expensive place at least. Only Er Jie treated us to a really good meal before.” Lili admonished, pretending to be disappointed at her roommate.

 

“Enough trouble from you two. Let’s just go for some desserts nearby instead.” Wenwen sighed, apparently tired of her nosy roommates.

 

“Yey! You’re treating us!” Cici gleefully announced, as she removed her helmet, and hooked it to the motorcycle before she latched herself onto Jessica’s arm, much to Jessica’s surprise at the sudden skinship. “Come on, Jessie. We know where to go since we all frequent the café where we’re headed for.”

 

“B-But, what about your bike?”

 

“Lili’s gonna take care of it.” Cici motioned for Jessica to turn just as Lili revved up her motorcycle, moving it past their street and turning it around the corner.

 

Seeing a young woman confidently maneuver a motorbike was enough to fuel Jessica’s awe and admiration for her future classmates. She wondered what other talents the other girls had in store for her when classes officially start.

 

Wenwen came up behind them and Jessica felt something warm latch onto her free hand. She looked up to her right to see Wenwen’s gentle smile. Jessica felt her face warm and her lips upturn into a grin as she was sandwiched between Cici to her left and Wenwen to her right. The cold autumn air did not feel so cold and bothersome anymore as Jessica walked with her newfound friends.

 

Lili had already reserved a seat at the table for the four of them when they arrived at the café. She excitedly waved her hands for them to see. “I’m over here! Our usual spot!”

 

They all settled at the table with Cici taking a seat beside Lili while Jessica and Wenwen sat together. Lili gave Jessica the menu while Cici had offered to translate some of the items in the menu that she found the newcomer might be interested to try.

 

A waiter came to their table and asked in Mandarin if they wanted the usual, knowing that the trio were the café’s more frequent patrons. Cici, Lili, and Wenwen gave him their orders in Mandarin before he turned to cast an expectant look at Jessica, who felt pressured and shy at the sudden attention. She did not know how to say what she wanted in the language either, but the person beside her caught on and asked her in English, “What did you want to order?”

 

“I wanted a slice of carrot cake and iced tea to pair with it, but I don’t know how to say it in Chinese.” Jessica relayed her dilemma.

 

“It’s fine, just follow after me.” Wenwen assured as she slowly translated Jessica’s order for the other girl to follow along. The kind server also waited patiently as Jessica told him what she wanted to order in Chinese, Wenwen helping her on what words to say.

 

Cici and Lili watched on with satisfied looks on their faces, both glad that their dormmate was taking time off to hang out with someone other than her guitar or piano.

 

Their desserts and drinks arrived after awhile and this opened a chance for Jessica to get to know her fellow classmates. “Have you all prepared for the school’s opening showcase?” Jessica asked as she eyed everyone at the table.

 

“I’m still practising, Jesshie, but I don’t know if I’ll have enough time. Have you prepared?” Lili replied before she took a mouthful from her piece of cake.

 

Jessica shook her head, “I actually don’t know what to prepare.”

 

“What are you good at, Jessie?” Cici asked, curious of the newcomer’s talent.

 

“Uh,” Jessica wondered if it was a good idea to tell them, “I-I can sing… and… dance?”

 

“Then, maybe you should dance! I think there are a lot of jiejies who can sing, but there are only a handful who could dance.” Lili suggested.

 

“You must be an all-rounder, then!” Cici remarked as she took a sip of her drink, already impressed at the new student.

 

Jessica shook her head, denying Cici’s compliment, “I’m not. I was just taught how to do both in my school in Korea.”

 

“So, you should be good at doing both?” Wenwen pointed out.

 

“Not really. I only know how to do both.” Jessica replied, not giving too much about herself away, “Cici, what have you prepared?”

 

“I’m going for a song.” Cici answered, making her intended performance vague.

 

Everyone else shifted their gazes towards Wenwen.

 

“You’ll all know what I’ll do when the time comes,” was Wenwen’s smug reply.

 

“Show off.” Cici scoffed teasingly, making Wenwen laugh.

 

“I bet you’re all set for the rest of the school year with how hard you’re working on your music.” Lili added.

 

“You both know me too well.” Wenwen replied with a sheepish smile.

 

Jessica wondered how long the trio have been living together to have this kind of familiarity with one another. This made her think about the time she spent with someone back home. A pang in her chest ached as her mind attempted to slip back into the past, but Cici’s voice pulled her into the present.

 

“Hey, Jess, we should head back to the dorms. It’s getting late.”

 

Jessica nodded as they all got up and paid for their food.

 

The three dormmates were kind enough to make sure Jessica gets past her doorstep before she bid the trio a good night, each girl giving her a warm hug, something that caught her off-guard, but welcomed, nonetheless.

 

“Sweet dreams, Jess.” Wenwen whispered into her ear as the latter squeezed her in an embrace. Jessica unconsciously missed Wenwen’s warmth when she pulled away and bid her a wave before she, Lili, and Cici headed their way back onto the road passing through the dorm houses.

 

Jessica watched as their silhouettes disappeared from the dorm window before she made herself ready for the night.

 

+++

A/N: The first day of their school year is drawing near!!! :3 Jess will get to meet more sisters sooner than you'd expect! I'm just laying the foundations of AOTU through this chapter but you'll read about more of Jess' interactions with her other jiejies in the next chapter. :3 Hope you had a fun read! :D