[A] The Story of Us

Redemancy

Karina cares for Winter more than she cares for her image.

 

"Mahal, are you ready?" Tanong ni Karina kay Winter. 

Winter chuckled and nodded her head. 

"Yep! Are you excited?" Winter exclaimed. 

Today is Yu Corp's 5th anniversary. It is also their 7th wedding anniversary. 

They got married despite their young age. Siguro sasabihin ng iba na hindi pa sila ready, but they are. 

"Of course! We have come a long way, baby." Karina hugged Winter and chuckled. 

"Baka naman ikwento mo na naman sa mga investors ang love story natin ha?" Umirap si Winter.

Every anniversary, Karina tells their investors or partners their love story. How they met in school, got married as soon as they graduated, and now, they're happily married. 


They got into a huge fight the night of their tenth anniversary. May fundraiser din para sa charity nila ng gabing iyon. 

Winter sat on the farthest table. Away from Karina. 

"Sorry na, mahal. Upo ka na sa tabi ko, please?" Karina begged. Pinagtitinginan na sila ng mga tao, pero Karina did not care. She only cares about her wife. 

"Promise mo muna na maghuhugas ka na ng plato," nakacrossed arms na sabi ni Winter. Karina whined but nodded her head. 

"Sige na nga! Promise!" 

The fight on their 10th anniversary was not the last time. The dishes became bigger. They started arguing over food and then curtains until they got to the point where they argued over cars they would buy. And then they got into a fight about why they tied the knot at a young age, then the pregnancy, everything. Every little thing. 

Palaki nang palaki ang away. And they should have known better. Everything has a simple solution. 

Constant communication. 

On their 22nd wedding anniversary, they were exes. 

Winter stood on the far corner of the function hall. 

Umiinom lang siya ng champagne habang nakatingin sa mga tao. They were talking, and laughing. Kapag naman nakatalikod, they'll badmouth each other. Typical rich people. 

Winter was just like that. Noong asawa pa siya ni Karina. Noong siya pa ang asawa ng Chairwoman ng Yu Corp.

Pero, she stopped being Karina's wife when she filed for divorce. 

Winter smiled. It still hurts. Seeing her ex-wife smiling at people, her eyes never meeting Winter's brown ones. 

Pinagtitinginan din siya ng mga tao, pero walang naglakas-loob na lumapit. 

Wala naman siyang balak umattend sa event, pero importante ito kay Karina. And she knew that the older would want her there, kahit na hindi na sila nag-uusap. 

Their divorce ended well. No one took advantage or anything. They just decided that enough is enough. 

Konting tampuhan lang naman ang nangyari. Hanggang sa lumaki, hanggang sa sobrang lumaki na hindi na nila alam kung paano ayusin. 

"Are you here with someone, Winter?" Tanong ni Ningning. A mutual friend.  

"Ah, no. Kasama mo ba si Giselle?" She asked. Ningning nodded her head.

"She's with Karina. I haven't seen you since last year. Where have you been, Winter?" Tanong ulit ni Ningning. 

Winter scrunched her nose. Her eyes are still waiting to meet Karina's black ones. 

"I traveled. I wanted to breathe," maikling sagot ni Winter.

Showing up here is embarrassing. Who would show up at their former wife's event? 

Besides, Karina hasn't talked to her, or even looked at her. 

"Did you?" Winter looked at Ningning with a raised brow. 

"Did I do what?"

"Breathe. I know that the past years have suffocated you. Pero sana alam mo na Karina did love you. And I think she still does." Winter chuckled bitterly. 

"I know." 

Tumingin ulit si Winter kay Karina. 

How could she tell the girl how much she misses and loves her? 

Ningning excused herself, leaving Winter alone in a room full of strangers. She sighed. It might be her time to leave this party, no? 

Aalis na sana siya nang makita niya si Karina na papalapit sakanya. 

"Winter," the girl greeted to acknowledge her presence. 

Winter bowed her head slightly as a sign of respect. 

"Karina. Congratulations." Matanda na sila. They should know how to act civil towards one another. Besides, Winter is one of the biggest shareholders of the company. She should be here, right?

"Thank you. I am glad that you came," maikling sabi ni Karina. The people are staring at them. Hindi naman secret na naghiwalay na sila. 

"I can't miss this, can I? Anyway, now that we've talked, I better get going." Nagmamadaling sabi ni Winter. She needs to go. 

Everything hurts. Even breathing hurts her. 

"The night is still young, Winter. Stay for a while, please." Mahinang sabi ni Karina. 

Karina lost the battle of pride. She always does. Winter chuckled bitterly. 

"I don't see why I need to. Congrats ulit, Karina. I—" Winter looked at the older girl. She wanted to tell her she loves her, that she misses her with all her heart, instead, she smiled. 

"I am glad that you've become the person you always wanted to be." Sabi ni Winter at umalis. She did not look back, too afraid that she cannot will herself to leave when she saw another glance of Karina.

That was the last time Karina saw her.