Chapter Three

Breaking the Boundaries

“Omma! Omma! Look! I won first place in the talent show!” Little Yujin was running up to her mom and showing off her little trophy. 

 

Her mother smiled at the child. “Wowwww! Good job Yujinnie. I bet you surprised the judges with your lovely voice.”

 

Yujin nodded. “Is Ba home? I want to show him my trophy.” 

 

Her mother’s smile went away. “Unfortunately, he is working late so it’ll just be us two for dinner. Are you hungry? Do you want some tteokbokki tonight?” Yujin nodded happily as she held her mother’s hand.

 

[Middle School Years]

 

Yujin was sleeping soundly when she heard yelling in the living room. She quietly got up from her bed and exited the room. She sat on the stairs and sneakily listened to her parents' arguments. “I don’t understand why you can’t let her just be in choir. She’s only so young for so long.”

 

“What she needs to do right now is to focus on her studies! She needs to be ready when she takes over the company.”

 

“But honey, that's far from the future. She’s only 13 for god sake! Let her live her life as a young teen.”

 

“Singing will not get her anywhere. She needs to provide for the family when she’s an adult!”

 

They kept on arguing back and forth while Yujin just sat there, quietly crying in the background.

 

[High School Years]

 

Yujin quietly snuck into her house but suddenly the lights . There stood in the living room is her father, arms crossed and glaring down at her. “Where have you been, young lady?”

 

Yujin avoided eye contact with him. “I was just out with friends. Nothing much.”

 

Her father grew more angry. “You’ve been working. Don’t lie to me! I know you’ve been working part time when you should really be focusing on your studies and getting into a good college!”

 

“But Ba-”

 

“No excuses! Now you either quit your job or never come back!” Then, her father pulled out a piece of paper, “I also found this sitting in your room.” It was a flyer for JYP auditions. 

 

Yujin eyes went wide. “You went into my room without my permission?!”

 

“That is not the point! Why are you still trying to be an idol? You failed the first time! Why are you insisting that you can make it?!”

 

“Because! I believe I can make it. I can believe that I can achieve my own goddamn dreams! Not dreams that you laid out for me for your fuxkin ego.”

 

“Don’t you dare take that tone with me young lady! You will never amount to anything by becoming a singer! You will forever become a failure…”

 

Yujin suddenly woke up and stood up on her bed. She was breathing heavily, clutching her chest as she tried to calm down. Tears were flowing down her face. “I thought I would be over these nightmares…”

 

Suddenly, her phone alarm went off. She picked up her phone and turned it off. She looked at the time. “6AM. Time to get ready for another day.”

/////

 

After many exhausting days of hard work for their MV and for their performance, the boys are ready for their debut.

 

The boys were getting ready in the dressing room for their debut performance show. Nerves were getting to Yujin as she kept on replaying the nightmares that happened every night leading up to their debut. Suddenly, she received a back hug from her maknae. “Hyung you don’t look too good. Are you getting nervous about this performance?” Seojun asked with concern in his eyes.

 

Yujin smiled and patted the young boy’s hand. “I’m okay Seojun. I’m just… hoping everything goes well with this performance. I haven’t performed in front of a lot of people in a while, let alone live for people to watch.” Yujin got up, “But I’m gonna get some fresh air. Tell the others I’ll be outside the room for a bit.” Then she left the room. 

 

She leaned against the door and closed her eyes. She did her breathing exercises to make her nerves calm down. You can do this Yujin. You’re the leader and everyone looks up to you. You’re not alone in this debut. She opened her eyes and took one last breath. “Okay! Fighting!” 

 

Suddenly she heard some voices. “Oh! Yujin-ssi!”

Yujin turned her head and saw her manager along with the girls from Itzy. “There you are! I brought you and the boys another surprise.” 

 

Yujin smiled and bowed down to her manager and to the girls. “Hello manager. Hello Itzy sunbae-nim.”

 

The girls bowed to Yujin. “Hello Yujin-ssi.” Yeji spoked, “Debut jitters?” Yujin nervously nodded. Yeji smiled, “Oh don’t worry about it! You and the boys will do fine! You’ll put on a wonderful performance.”

 

Yujin smiled and blushed, “Thank you, Yeji sunbae-nim.”

 

Lia went up to him and lightly smacked her. “Don’t be so formal. You can just be casual with us, especially with me and Yeji. You know, 2000 liners gotta stick together.” Yujin nervously giggled.

 

The manager went up to Yujin. “Bring the others out. The girls want to give all of you some gifts.” Yujin nodded and went back inside to get the boys.

 

All of them stood outside and bowed to Itzy. Then, the girls pulled out their gifts from behind their backs. It was homemade banners for the boys. The boys were so touched with the gesture and they all decided to take a pic for their Instagram. After the gift exchange, Itzy said their goodbyes and left the boys.

 

The boys went inside their dressing room again while Yujin stood outside. She looked at the banner that she received personally from Lia. A wide smile was on her face. It’s every fan's dream to receive something personal from their bias. Suddenly her hands were shaking from her nerves. Damn it, I thought I would be over it.

 

Yujin tried to calm down her nervousness when out of nowhere, two hands held her hands which helped stop the shaking. Yujin looked up and saw that it was Lia, a smiled within her eyes and lips as she looked at Yujin. “I dropped something here but I saw how nervous you are. Especially with your shaking hands.”

 

Yujin nodded, “You didn’t have to hold my hands. I can do it myself.”

 

Lia shook her head. “It’s okay. You know you reminded me of myself when I first debuted with Dalla Dalla. I was also nervous and shaking alot because I can’t dance as well as before. But luckily, my girls were there for me. So don’t worry, you’ll be fine and don’t forget your boys will be there for you.”

 

Yujin smiled, “Thank you Lia sunbae-nim.”

 

Lia smacked her again, “Yah I told you you don’t have to be so formal. Lia is fine.” Yujin nodded again and pulled her hands away from Lia. Lia bent down and grabbed her item. “I dropped my keys so I had to go back and get them before I get scolded.” Lia bowed and waved goodbye.

 

Before Lia went far, Yujin shouted in English. “[Lia! Can we… be friends? You know, since we’re the same age.]”

 

Lia turned her head and smiled. “[Of course, Yujin. Hopefully we can hang out when we have free time. Good luck!]” Lia waved one last time and took off.

 

Yujin smiled as she saw the girl disappear from her sight. Yujin felt more confident in herself. “Alright let’s do this.” She went back into the dressing room to join the rest of her group.

/////

 

ANEMO's first debut and performance were a big hit. A lot of people are becoming fans of the new boy group. Some might even say they’re the boy counterparts of Itzy (you know 5 girls and 5 boys lol). Yujin couldn’t be happier with the support of their new fans. Granted, they still have some backlash but that’s what comes with being an idol. You just can’t please everyone.

 

Yujin was chilling in the JYP cafeteria when she saw a familiar dubu entering the cafeteria. She smiled and went up to her, “Dahyun noona!” Yujin went to her side and bowed.

 

Dahyun smiled and bowed as well. “Hello to you Yujin-ssi. Congrats on your debut! You and the boys absolutely killed it on stage.”

 

Yujin blushed, “Thank you. It means a lot coming from you. You know the biggest group of JYP. Maybe ANEMO will reach your level in a few months.” Yujin laughed as she received a smack from her senior.

 

“Yah, be more humble. You’re only rookies still. But you work hard and maybe JYP will be in good hands.” Dahyun laughed as she grabbed some snacks from the counter.

 

“Unnie,” Dahyun looked at Yujin, “Why are you here in the cafeteria? Don’t you live somewhere else with the other Twice members?”

 

Dahyun chuckled, “Yes but there’s nothing like coming here once a while and getting free snacks from the cafeteria haha.” Dahyun stuffed the last snack into her bag, “Well as much as I want to chat with you, I have to get going.” Dahyun bowed, “Congrats again and remember: it will only get busier from now on. So take care and don’t die. You owe me for stealing that last box.”

 

Yujin groaned, “Can’t you get over that? It’s been a couple of weeks and it’s just a box.” Dahyun shook her head and waved goodbye. Yujin sighed, “I swear that girl holds a grudge. Lesson learned, don’t steal her stuff.” Yujin chuckled as she went back to her lunch.