EPILOGUE

The Proposal (WenRene AU)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Wendy Son gazed absentmindedly through the airplane's window, she caught a glimpse of the reflection of her girlfriend, who was busy reading her favorite book. Instead of being fascinated by the marvelous blue sky, the brunette found herself mesmerized by the beauty of the lady beside her. Her slightly scrunched up brows and her pouty serious face makes it more hot and adorable at the same time. It was always like this, and it never got old. Wendy would look at her girlfriend and still question what she did in her past life to be allowed to have a relationship with a goddess. Maybe she had saved a planet; that would make a lot of sense.

"I can see you staring at my reflection. Didn't you say you were sleepy?" Irene Bae asked, her eyes still focused on the book she was reading.

Wendy peeled her gaze away from the window and turned to face the lady. "I was, but not anymore," she said. "You've been reading that book since we boarded. You need to rest your eyes."

It had been a year and a half since Wendy had confessed her love to this lady. It’s been a year and a half when they decided to give this relationship a try, and Wendy was just so grateful that they did. Two months after that scandalous confession, they moved in together because they couldn't get enough of each other, and Wendy discovered a multitude of endearing traits about Irene during this time. She never thought Irene could be such a big baby when it was just the two of them in a room, and how Irene was a person who loved cuddles and kisses so deeply. Irene always made sure she was the first one to get up every morning because she loved making Wendy's coffee and preparing their breakfast. Wendy found every little thing Irene did incredibly adorable.

While Irene is undeniably adorable when they're alone, she transforms into an entirely different person when it comes to business and work. Irene swiftly reclaimed her position as the editor-in-chief as soon as Reve's board of directors heard of the love confession that unfolded in front of the entire editorial department. Irene didn’t even have to do anything after that. Once the board confirmed Wendy and Irene's legitimate relationship—with a hundred witnesses attesting to its authenticity—they took it upon themselves to process all the necessary documents, legalizing Irene's stay in the US. It seemed that they were really reluctant to let go of their chief, recognizing the undeniable success that Irene brings to the business when she takes the reins.

Now that Irene is back, so is the return of the formidable boss. Despite the expectations that Irene might change her management style after finally dating and choosing the most generous and kind-hearted person in the building, the reality is a resounding, fat NO. While she has become slightly more considerate of others' feelings and has learned to listen to people's inputs and opinions, at the end of the day, she will always be Irene Bae. What she wants, she always gets, and what she says is what needs to be done. Just because she was dating a Wendy Son doesn’t mean she needs to change her approach to running her department. Her methods have consistently proven successful, keeping the business thriving and at the top of the chain, ensuring everyone receives their well-deserved paychecks.

And oh, by the way, she officially fired Jennie Kim.

As for Wendy, she has officially handed in her resignation to Reve. She refuses to let her relationship with the boss become the center of daily office gossip because she believes they don't deserve that. Working under Irene would pose a conflict of interest, and Wendy understands that people will always have something to say about it. Irene's position is crucial, and Wendy cannot afford to be a distraction now that the chief has successfully resumed her career. While Irene may not be bothered by office gossip, Wendy knows it could somehow stress her out, and she wants Irene to focus entirely on her professional responsibilities.

She didn’t bother pursuing that promotion because she didn’t want her relationship with Irene to be the means to achieve her dreams. That misguided arrangement they had was already in the past, and Wendy understood that in reality, she needed to work her off to reach her goals. Attending additional training and courses to enhance her skills, Wendy endured countless tiresome classes. After completing her training, she applied to another publishing house and successfully secured a position as an associate editor working under a senior feature editor at that company. While she may still be at the bottom of the career ladder, at least she's no longer a secretary. Wendy has begun doing what she loves. Irene also teaches her at home, although those late-night training sessions often take a steamy turn, and would always leave Wendy craving for more.

As a summary of her life after that daring confession a year and a half ago, Wendy was doing pretty great. She had finally landed her dream job, and with a hot, y, and caring girlfriend by her side, Wendy could confidently say that she was living the dream.

“I have to finish the book now because once we land, I will never get the chance to pick up a book again. You know how our holiday schedule is packed when we’re in Jeju.”

“We can always find time, babe.”

“No, we won’t. We're going home to spend time with our family, so that’s all we’re going to do while we're there.”

Wendy’s heart always swells when Irene uses 'our' in reference to her family – their family. This marks their second Christmas in Jeju, and Irene consistently looks forward to returning home. It's evident that Irene's mother and Halmi hold a strong affection for the lady chief, and they frequently spend time baking, cooking, and shopping when she’s with them. Even Wendy's father ensures he spends quality time with Irene, often stealing her away from the ladies for bonding through activities like golf or tennis. Their competent asses always love the challenges and both of them enjoy the recreational activities so much. It's clear that Irene has become Son Sang-hyun's favorite daughter, surpassing Wendy, but the brunette has no complaints. She simply loves how her family cherishes Irene as much as she does.

Irene loves everything about Jeju, and Wendy was just so happy that Irene gets to relish the experience of having a family again. She deserves to feel the warmth and care that a family makes you feel. 

“Whatever you say,” Wendy gives her girlfriend a smile and a quick peck on her lips.

“Is something bothering you?” Irene asks softly.

Is something bothering Wendy? Yes, there is. However, she doesn't have the courage to bring it into the discussion now.

Wendy's life seems perfect, but there's still a tiny missing piece to it.

The topic of marriage has never been brought up since they started dating and agreed to take things slow. They both decided to invest time in getting to know each other, a process that Wendy has thoroughly enjoyed. Dating Irene has made her a better person and has consistently motivated her to bring out her best. Similarly, Irene often expresses how Wendy inspires her to do more, emphasizing that there are no limits to what she can achieve.

But Wendy can’t refer to her as "fiancée" again, not yet. They technically weren’t engaged, so, for now, they're simply girlfriends. Wendy doesn’t even know how Reve managed to fix Irene’s US visa or fiancée visa because nothing was official yet. Perhaps they just needed something to prove Irene’s relationship with Wendy is real, something hundreds of their employees can testify to, and they took care of everything from there. As long as Irene’s career is secure and she’s staying, it doesn’t matter to Wendy how they managed to process that paperwork.

Don't get Wendy wrong, dating Irene is one of the most amazing feelings she has experienced in her life. However, she didn't pursue Irene just to have her as a girlfriend. Making Irene her wife and being her life partner has always been Wendy's goal since she asked Irene to date her in front of that crowd a year and a half ago. While Wendy didn't want to rush anything and agreed that dating is fine for now, she is starting to feel a bit selfish. She wants Irene for herself and she doesn't want to let go of the lady chief anymore. As she mentioned before, her dreams and her life are not just for herself—she wants to share them with Irene.

And yes, it would be even better if she could marry the love of her life.

However, Wendy wasn't sure if Irene was ready for that conversation. She feared that an official proposal might scare Irene away, as the lady chief has always been sensitive about her emotions. Wendy often feels like she's delicately holding a beautiful glass that could shatter with one wrong move, and she wouldn't be able to piece it back together. So, Wendy is careful. In fact, she has been tiptoeing around this topic for the longest time because she was also afraid that it would ruin this special relationship they have. 

But she also thinks having this talk during the most joyful season of the year, and on Christmas Day, probably isn't a bad idea. Maybe the love in the Jeju air would convince Irene that Wendy’s love for her is for life, and that it's finally time to officially tie the knot with her.

And so the brunette has arranged an intimate dinner for two at a fine dining restaurant in Jeju City tomorrow. She's been in touch with Sooyoung every now and then, and her best friend has been helping her in preparing for the day when Wendy will ask for Irene's hand in marriage.

And that’s what’s bothering Wendy. That's what makes her feel on edge. The thought of her proposal tomorrow makes her nervous as hell. She hopes everything will be perfect. She hopes Irene will say yes. 

If it’s a no, then it’s fine. Wendy has prepared for that possibility as well. She wouldn’t force Irene into anything she’s not yet ready for. If Irene says no, then so be it. Wendy will be patient and will try again. All Wendy wants to do now is to try. Because she wouldn't know the answer if she never asks.

“Nothing at all,” she answered.

“Son Seungwan, you’re a terrible liar.”

“I’m fine, I swear. Don’t worry.”

Irene’s brow scrunched together as the lady chief intensely examined the brunette’s face. As her lips curled into a dissatisfied frown, Wendy knew that Irene was not convinced.

“Fine. But you know you can talk to me about everything, right?”

Yes, my love. But I wish it was that easy…

“I know. I appreciate you for that.”

“I love you,” Irene said, looking straight into her eyes.

“I love you too, Joohyun.” Just like that, Irene leaned in, capturing Wendy’s lips with her own. The kiss was slow, gentle, and assuring. It was as if Irene was conveying that she's there for Wendy, no matter what, and it put Wendy’s heart at ease, at least for now. She knew the thought of tomorrow would still linger throughout the day, but for the moment, she chose to let them go. Irene loves her, and she loves Irene. That’s all that matters right now.

The kiss started to deepen, and Wendy groaned in frustration as she remembered they were in a public place. She had to stop before things escalated into something not meant for the public eye.

“Babe… We’re not alone,” she said, gently pulling away.

“Hmmm, how about the restroom?” Irene asks, naughtily biting her lips as she stares at the brunette. Wendy chuckles at her girlfriend’s playful suggestion. Who would've thought this is the almighty editor-in-chief of Reve Publishing Inc.?

“It’s morning, and people will be waking up any second now. They'll need the restroom because we're about to land.”

“Well then, make it quick,” the chief demanded. As Irene was about to stand up and drag Wendy to the restroom, her phone beeped a familiar tone, indicating an email from her secretary. Wendy smiled nostalgically, remembering the time when it was Irene’s notification tone for her when she was her assistant.

“Damn it. I forgot to turn off the notification. But I specifically advised her not to send me anything during my vacation trip!” Irene whined as she fished out her phone from her handbag, checking what the email was about.

“Take it easy on her, babe. She just wants to do her job, and her job includes notifying you if something important comes up. Didn’t you say a new book is scheduled to be launched once we get back from our trip, and it’s a big project?”

Well, that’s also one of the reasons why Wendy was so reluctant to propose. Irene is currently working on a major project, and the pressure is quite stressing her out. Handling such an important client means she can’t afford any mistakes. Irene has been putting in extra hours, going home late these past few weeks, just to ensure everything is smoothly flowing, even when she’s not physically present. It's a challenging task, and Wendy understands the importance of supporting Irene during such demanding times. The stress is making Wendy extra cautious about when to propose, and she wants to make sure it would not be an added burden to Irene’s hectic professional commitments.

Despite Irene's packed schedule, the chief took the time to mark this little trip in her calendar because Irene wants it to be their annual Christmas tradition to go home to Jeju. It's genuinely sweet of her. Irene might not be the type to express her feelings openly, but she expresses them through her actions.

She watched Irene sighed, shutting down her phone as soon as she finished reading the email. “I know, baby. But I made sure everything could wait until I returned. There’s nothing urgent to do while I’m gone because our next meeting with the client and the PR team is still two weeks away. I deserve to rest too, you know.”

Wendy understands that, even though Irene is attempting to shift her focus to this holiday trip, a part of her mind is still preoccupied with that big project in the US. She's putting in a considerable effort to distract herself, evident in her continuous reading of a book ever since they boarded the plane, as Wendy observed, just to divert her thoughts from work-related matters. An email from the office, especially from her secretary, just probably makes her a little bit paranoid.

“You do, but don’t put it all on Somi, love. Being your secretary can be overwhelming, and your responsibility in the company is crucial. She’s probably just scared of missing anything,” she said, offering a sympathetic perspective for Somi, recalling that the brunette herself was in a similar situation when she was just a newbie.

Yep. Somi took over as Irene’s secretary, filling the role previously assigned to Wendy. 

“Well, I get that. But she doesn’t need to send me an email saying the faucet in my restroom is leaking and that she called her girlfriend to fix it.”

The brunette laughed. Somi was probably panicking, feeling the need to report everything to Irene. She was just like that when she had just started her job. She’ll eventually get the hang of it and get used to how Irene likes things.

“Well, let’s not worry about that now because her girlfriend probably fixed the faucet by now. So, how can I get your mind off Reve?” she asked, winking playfully at the lady chief.

Irene smirked and stood, “Well, that restroom quickie offer is still on the table.”

“Five minutes?”

“Five minutes it is.”

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seulgi offered to pick them up at the airport since most of the Son family drivers were on holiday. Despite Mr. Choi choosing to work during this time, anticipating that most drivers would be on vacation, Wendy’s father insisted he could manage to drive himself to his appointments.

So here’s Seulgi, helping them load their luggage into the trunk of her car.

“I can handle the rest, you go ahead and start your car,” Wendy smiled at her friend, heading to the trunk for the last bag. Her phone began ringing right after she had secured their luggage and closed the compartment.

It’s her mom.

Tapping the answer button, she lightly knocked on Seulgi’s driver’s seat window, signaling that she would just take the call. Seulgi nodded, patiently waiting with Irene inside the car.

“Hello, mom.”

“Seungwan-ah!!”

Wendy had to move the phone away from her ear to avoid going deaf from her mom’s loud voice.

“Yeah, mom. I’ve missed you too, but you don’t have to shout. Seulgi has picked us up. What’s up?”

“Oh, sorry! You're on loudspeaker, so I thought you wouldn’t hear me well. Give me a minute…”

Wendy heard some shuffling in the background before her mom’s voice came through the speaker again. “I’m sorry we're not able to pick you guys up. We’re busy with these little Christmas decorations around the house. Sooyoung’s helping me out, and your Halmi is busy planning the dishes for our little family dinner tonight. Tonight's Christmas Eve, honey, so there’s a lot to do.”

Knowing her family, when her mother says “little decorations,” it means the entire mansion would be decorated until it looked like Disneyland, and “little family dinner” means the whole Udo island is family, and they need to invite everyone for the gathering, like the Christmas Eve party last year.

Wendy sighed, already anticipating this to be a tiring, long day. It would be nice if it were just a small event, allowing them to chill without having to exert too much energy interacting with everyone. First, they're still jet-lagged, and second, Wendy needs Irene to be in good spirits tomorrow because, you know, the proposal.

“Mom, can we keep it a small event? Just family? I don’t think we can handle such a big crowd tonight. We have a scheduled thing tomorrow, and I don’t want to tire Irene out. Please?”

Wendy hasn't informed her family about her plan. Only Sooyoung knows what will happen tomorrow night.

“Oh, honey. Don’t worry, it’s just us, family. We thought it’s best for everyone to celebrate an intimate Christmas Eve with their own families, so we didn’t really invite our neighbors. We sent Christmas baskets to each family on the island so they can use them for their celebrations with their loved ones. It’s just gonna be us tonight.”

The brunette sighed in relief.

“Sooyoung’s practically your unbiological sister, so, of course, she’s gonna be here. And…” her mom faltered, as if hesitating to continue what she was trying to say.

“And what, mom?”

“Uhm, I invited Seulgi as well… She’s already a part of the family, you know.”

“And what's the problem with that?”

“Well, given your history, will Irene be okay with Seulgi around?”

Wendy turned around and looked at two of the most important people in her life. Seulgi played a significant role in why Wendy has Irene now. If their past relationship hadn't happened, if Seulgi hadn't proposed before, Wendy wouldn't have run away to New York and met Irene. Seulgi was also the first one to give Wendy a little nudge, making the brunette realize that she couldn't let Irene go and that she needed to go after her when the latter ran away from their fake wedding. It just shows how Seulgi genuinely cared for her, even if they didn’t end up together.

However, she strongly feels that even without Seulgi in the equation, the universe would somehow guide her to Irene's arms. Wendy feels her soul is connected to Irene, believing it has always been Irene, even before their paths crossed. This could also explain why things didn't work out with Seulgi, because Wendy's heart had always been reserved for someone else.

A smile crept into her face as gazed at the two. Irene was literally sitting in the passenger’s seat, sharing silly laughs with Seulgi. It came as a surprise to Wendy as well that the two had gotten closer over the years. Never in Wendy’s dreams had she imagined the two staying in contact after their first Jeju trip. Well, probably because, as Irene promised, she worked on publishing Seulgi’s manuscript, and so it required a lot of discussions to finally come up with the launch date. The two had to collaborate for the launch to be a success, and Seulgi even visited them in New York just to be hands-on with everything that needed to be done. 

All the proceeds from the sales of Seulgi’s book went toward the construction of the school she was building. Even after the book was launched, the two would continue discussing how Irene could contribute books to Seulgi’s school. Reve has its own printing department and often ends up with many rejected books. While they still look fine and usable, they are discarded because they didn't pass the quality check. Irene found a way to repurpose them, and she donates these books to Seulgi’s school for the arts.

"Mom, they're fine. I already told you about how Irene donates books to Seulgi's school. They're in touch every now and then, so yeah, they're basically friends now."

"Oh, right! I keep forgetting about that! I always remember the weird tension between the two when you first introduced them, that's why… Mianhae."

Wendy chuckles at her mom's remarks. It was quite memorable, after all. Who could forget that? Irene was practically shooting daggers at Seulgi that entire day. "That's fine, mom. Where's Yeri? Is Dad coming?"

"Of course, honey! Your dad wouldn't even stop calling every hour to check if you guys already landed! My ears! God! He keeps saying he can't wait to show Irene the newly opened golf course in the city! That man… Anyway, he's with Yeri. They hosted a small Christmas party at one of our fashion boutiques; you know how Yeri is starting to learn how to manage our fashion line. She enjoys it."

A proud smile spread across Wendy’s face. Her little sister is really growing up so fast now. She's amazed at how mature Yeri has become in just a year. Yes, there's still partying every now and then, it's part of college life, let’s give her that – but it's incredible how she dedicates time to learn about the family business. This was not something forced on her. After that controversial sham of a wedding a year and a half ago, her father’s character drastically changed. Perhaps he realized the pain he had inflicted on Wendy throughout those years when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter