CHAPTER 11

The Proposal (WenRene AU)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's 7 a.m, and it's the early morning of their wedding day. Irene didn't even get a wink of sleep. She doesn't want to look like a freaking zombie on her wedding day, but what can she do if her mind doesn't want to rest? It kept thinking about Son Seungwan, everything that had happened between them for the past three days, and how their decisions had led them to this very day: an event that would make such big changes in her life. She should already be deported back to Seoul, but this sham marriage arrangement with her secretary was poised to turn her life around, enabling her to continue the career she had painstakingly built through hard work and determination in the US.

Irene was very grateful for Wendy's help, and she should all be smiling now, knowing that once this day concluded, she would then be a full-pledged Son, legally. This was all part of her plan, and she should be giving herself a pat on the back for a job well done, but what's not part of the deal is developing feelings for her secretary. And now that the guilt was hard to swallow, she doubted herself if she could muster the courage to walk down that aisle and be done with this wedding once and for all.

The lady chief pushed herself out of bed and ditched her nightdress for a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. The bridal preparation would start at 9 a.m. and the ceremony would begin at noon, Irene still had time for a warm chamomile tea. Her fiancée didn't sleep in their room last night, as Halmi insisted that Seungwan use another room. "It's part of the tradition, dear. We can't have you two using the Baby Maker the night before your wedding. And you can’t see each other for the meantime either," she recalled what the elder woman said.

Now, Irene missed the warmth that Wendy exuded whenever the brunette was beside her.

As she trudged to the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea, Irene was welcomed by the bustling chefs who were busy preparing the dishes for the reception. The enticing aroma of both Korean and Western cuisines, as well as the sweet desserts, wafted through the air, prompting her to consider whether she should abandon her tea and indulge in a plate of these delicious offerings.

"Good morning, Ms. Bae. Would you like me to prepare something for you?" asked one of the chefs.

"Oh, I just came here to make myself some tea."

"Let me do it for you. Do you have any preferences in particular?"

"Chamomile, please."

The chef smiled and nodded. "I see. We are nervous about the big event later, huh?"

"Uh, yes. Just wanted something to calm myself down."

"Arasseoyo. I'll make it good for you," the chef sauntered away to prepare Irene's drink.

Irene didn't need to wait long for the chef to return with a fancy teacup on a fancy saucer. The convenience of having people attend to your needs reminded Irene of her job as the editor-in-chief and how she had Seungwan as her secretary. "Thank you," the lady chief politely bowed.

"You're welcome. We're here if you need anything else," and the chef made her way back to her main tasks.

With the teacup in hand, Irene tried to locate the studio where her fiancée might be. Seungwan had texted her earlier, saying she would be discussing the setlist of the songs to be played at the wedding with Seulgi. Apparently, Seulgi had arranged for a skilled vocalist and some choir students to perform at the wedding ceremony.

She discovered a room on the second floor with its doors wide open, and the sound of Seungwan's cheerful laughter resonated through the corridor. Irene just really wanted to check on the brunette, especially considering the traumatic accident they had experienced the day before. Additionally, Seungwan hadn't had a proper night's sleep due to her extensive involvement in the wedding preparations to ensure the day's success.

Another surge of guilt overcame Irene as she realized that, although Seungwan would also benefit from their fake marriage, she felt like she was the one reaping the greatest rewards from the situation.

She mindlessly leaned on the doorframe, unknowingly observing the interaction between Seulgi and Seungwan. Seulgi held a piece of paper, gesturing and explaining things to her fiancée, while Seungwan attentively listened, her hand wrapped around a take-away coffee cup. They were both so engrossed in their discussion that they remained oblivious to Irene's presence.


It was simply a sincere interaction, with nothing unusual happening to suggest that Seulgi might sabotage today's event. Yet, Irene couldn't shake the thought that Seulgi and Seungwan made a striking couple. They looked exceptionally good together. In an alternate reality, perhaps Seulgi and Seungwan had a second chance. Maybe they would have been planning their own wedding, but not in this one, not with someone like Irene being cast in with the role of a villainess in another person's story. 

She bit her lip as she found herself getting lost in thoughts that wouldn't matter anymore. This wedding is set to happen today, and Irene just wants to get everything over with so she can return to New York and resume her life, away from all these lovely people who don't deserve to be fooled like this.

“Babe?”

Seungwan's voice called, and Irene absentmindedly gazed at the brunette, becoming distracted by how beautiful Seungwan looked. Seungwan was dressed in a simple black v-neck long-sleeve shirt and jeans, her hair tied in a low ponytail with some of her bangs cascading gently down the sides of her face. She looked so breathtakingly captivating. Irene couldn't wait to see the brunette in her wedding gown later. Seungwan would be immaculate.

"Baby?" Seungwan called again, effectively capturing Irene's full attention this time. Irene mentally slapped herself, willing her mind to focus and not get distracted by Wendy's gorgeous face. "Are you okay?" the brunette asked, standing up and excusing herself from Seulgi. Seungwan approached her, gently holding her hand.

"Oh."

"Is something wrong?"

"Uh, no. I just... I wanted to check on you."

"You know Halmi said we're not allowed to see each other before the ceremony, right?"

"I know, but you guys didn't exactly tell me the reason behind it."

"Well..." Seungwan sheepishly scratched her head. "I'm not really sure, but they say it's bad luck. Like one of the couples might ditch the other during the actual wedding or back out, something like that."

Irene scoffed. "Do you really believe in that crap?"

"Well, no. But we'd hear an earful from the old woman if she saw us," Seungwan chuckled, her laughter becoming music to Irene's ears.

"I better get going then," Irene smiled and gently released Seungwan’s hand.

"No, I mean, really... Is something bothering you?" Seungwan asked softly, her voice laced with concern.

"I'm fine. Just feeling a bit nervous about later. Tiffany's going to be there, you know."

"Don't worry, I'll be there with you throughout the event. I'll make sure this will be successful. Not even my dad could do something about this."

“Thanks. I just want to let you know that… that I really appreciate you doing all of this. Making sure we’ll see the end of this deal. So, thank you.”

Seungwan flashed her a genuine smile. "Well, it's not like I'm not getting something out of this as well. This is a two-man job; you should be giving credit to yourself too."

Irene nodded and replied, "Alright. I'm going to let you continue your tasks with Seulgi."

As the lady chief took a couple of steps backward, Wendy caught her arm.

"What?"

"Where's my kiss?"

"Why would I kiss you?"

"Uhm… Well… Seulgi..." The brunette stuttered as she blushed and gestured her head to Seulgi, trying to convey to the lady chief that they should part with a kiss because someone else is within their presence, and they still need to put on an act.

Irene observed Seulgi, who was engrossed in her notes. Then, she turned her scrutinizing gaze back to her fiancée. "Seulgi isn't even looking," she remarked.

Seungwan's blush deepened as she nervously rubbed the back of her head. "Well... I'm just being cautious. You never know if someone is watching, you know..."

"We don't even look suspicious right now. We're just having a conversation."

"Still, we're getting married, and we should act as if we're head over heels in love and can't get enough of each other," the brunette insisted, her face forming an adorable frown.

Is she pouting?

This is quite amusing. Seungwan appears to be throwing a bit of a tantrum, and Irene is struggling not to pinch those cute little cheeks.

"It seems to me like you're just making excuses to kiss me," Irene couldn't help but smirk at how adorable Wendy looked. If she just wanted a kiss, she might as well say it straight to Irene's face, and she would willingly oblige. But no, Seungwan needs to act all silly and use their fake relationship as an excuse for a kiss. Might as well continue the teasing a little bit further.

Irene leaned dangerously closer to the brunette and whispered in a low, sultry voice, "We both know I've already claimed the 'Best Kisser' title, but don't you think it's a bit silly that you're using our fake relationship status to secure kisses from me, Seungwan-sshi?"

She watched Seungwan gulp as the brunette's eyes traveled from Irene's eyes to her lips before turning her cute, red face away guiltily. "I… That’s not true…," Seungwan stammered.

Irene chuckled and took a step back before Seungwan could literally combust in embarrassment. "You'll get your kiss later, once the officiant says you may already kiss the bride."

"F-fine."

As Irene moved away, attempting to leave a flustered Seungwan, she felt a pair of arms from behind, enveloping her in a hug.

"Unnie…," a sleepy Yeri mumbled from her back.

"Yeri?" Irene felt the girl nodding behind her.

"What do you need, Yerim-ah?" Seungwan inquired, mirroring Irene's confused reaction. Yeri was never this clingy to the lady chief, but Irene thought that today was a special case, knowing the kid's beloved Seungwan unnie would finally get married to another unnie. The kid was probably just extra excited and happy despite her sleepy state.

"I'm in trouble, unnie."

"Why?" the couple asked in unison.

"I can't decide which floral headpiece is better. I need help. I heard Irene-unnie's good with flowers."

"Aigoo… Yerim-ah, your Irene-unnie needs to prepare for the wedding too. Why don't you ask your Sooyoung-unnie for help?"

"Shiro," the girl stubbornly said, still clinging to Irene. "Sooyoung-unnie is terrible with flowers. I once asked her for help on what I should give my sick teacher who's in the hospital, and it turned out it was for the deceased."

The couple shared a laugh at Yeri's amusing tale.

"I got her," Irene mouthed to Seungwan.

"Are you sure?" Seungwan whispered with worry. Irene smiled and nodded at the brunette, letting her know it’s not that big of a deal. 

"Alright. Your Irene-unnie will go with you, but please make it brief. She also has preparations to attend to."

With that, Yeri released her embrace from behind Irene and enthusiastically agreed with her beloved cousin. "Arasso! Let's go, unnie!" She then spiritedly whisked Irene away from the brunette.

—--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You looked pretty hyped for someone who had to wake up super early," Irene observed as they walked, with Yeri practically dragging her into the girl's room.

"Who wouldn't be? My one and only Seungwan-unnie is finally getting married, and you'll be her wife. I'm gaining another sister," Yeri said with a shy smile, slowing down her pace so they could walk side by side.

"Really? I thought..." Irene hesitated, causing Yeri to stop in her tracks.

"What's up, unnie?"

"I always had the impression that you didn't approve of me as your unnie's fiancée," she said softly. "She probably told you about all the drama we've had at work."

Yeri chuckled at that. "Well, yeah, she used to complain a lot about you during her calls, and I was pretty confused about what kind of person her boss was to put Seungwan unnie through hell. But then she brought you home to meet the family as her fiancée, and suddenly it all made sense. I'm guessing all the arguing and fighting eventually led you both to a special place in each other's hearts. I've seen how you take care of unnie and the family, and how unnie clearly cares about you as well. It made me realize that what you both have is truly something special."

Could they have been acting so convincingly that everyone actually believes their relationship is real?

Or maybe what Yeri said is the actual truth and she just can’t seem to face it?

Her silence made Yeri's face contort in worry. The girl reached out for her hand and gently held it. "Unnie... You don't have to worry about what we think or feel about you. I like you. Auntie Seung-ah likes you. Halmi obviously adores you. She even passed down the family's traditional wedding gown to you. And yeah, I know Uncle Sang-hyun may seem a bit distant and cold, but that man loves his daughter so much he would do anything for her. He would eventually come around. You've already earned your place in the family, unnie. I can assure you of that."

Irene didn't know why, but her eyes welled up in response to Yeri's words. She bit her lip in an attempt to rein in the overpowering emotions that had gripped her since the moment she realized she had feelings for her secretary. She tried to swallow the massive wave of guilt she had been feeling since yesterday, but she was failing to keep everything inside. She couldn't hold it any longer, and a tear finally trailed down her cheek as she looked at Yeri helplessly.

This complex mix of emotions and the challenging situation were drowning her, and the awful truth was that not even Seungwan could save her this time.

"Omo, unnie. Are you okay?" Yeri asked with concern, placing a comforting hand on Irene's shoulder, an action that only intensified her tears.

This poor girl. This poor, beautiful family. They had no idea they had been wickedly deceived by a monstrous witch. They didn't deserve this. Seungwan, and all the people Seungwan cherished and loved, didn't deserve to be tricked and manipulated like this. They deserved so much more than to have a poisonous witch infiltrate their beautiful family.

"I'm sorry, Yerim-ah. I'm so sorry..." she uttered, her body trembling uncontrollably as she gave in to her tears.

"Why are you apologizing, unnie? You didn't do anything," Yeri anxiously asked as she pulled Irene into a comforting embrace and gently rubbed her back.

“Try to avoid anything that could further hurt both of you.” Joy’s voice last night echoed in her head. 

"I promise not to hurt your unnie anymore. I promise that I'll be better. I promise that I will make things right."

—------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun blazed high overhead, bathing Udo island in a brilliant daylight. A gentle breeze from the Jeju sea swayed the tall trees and flowers around the Son Mansion, infusing the air with their natural, earthy scents. It was a noon unlike any other, and the scene was set for a special traditional barn wedding.

Nestled in the northeast corner of the family's extensive property, a weathered yet still charming barn had been transformed into a wedding venue. The barn's rustic wooden floor was softened with scattered rose petals, and rows of wooden chairs were arranged for comfortable seating, with sunlight streaming in through the open doors. Simple string lights hung from the rafters, promising to add a touch of magic to the daytime celebration. Fresh and colorful floral arrangements adorned the wooden beams, while mason jar lanterns dangled, adding a cozy feel to the setting.

As guests gathered under the bright noon sun, the barn provided a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Here, a love story would unfold in the broad daylight, amidst the beauty of the island, creating cherished memories for the couple and their loved ones.

It would have been an enchanting start to a fascinating love story, but that's not the case.

This is simply a stage, the final act before the curtain falls.

Wendy frowned at the sad reality that this wedding doesn’t mean anything to the woman she truly loves. Despite breaking through Irene's thick barriers and getting a glimpse of her true softer side, Wendy knows Joohyun doesn’t really feel the same way about her. Wendy believed they could have a genuine friendship, but the idea of being in a romantic relationship still seemed distant, not for herself, but for the lady she longed for.

Taking a deep breath, the brunette composed herself, getting back into her determined mindset. She understood she had a job to do and a role to fulfill, even though this wedding was all for show. This wedding was a way to help Joohyun sort out her career problems, and Wendy was willing to help, promotion or not. Dealing with the New York issue was the top priority, and addressing her feelings or confessing her love to Joohyun would have to wait. Right now, she needed to stay focused. With her father's presence and Tiffany's watchful eyes, it felt as if the agent was just waiting for her to make one wrong move.

She anxiously tugged at her gown to relieve the tension she was feeling. It wasn't nerves about all the people who would be watching them today, but rather the uncertainty of whether she could handle seeing Joohyun in the bridal gown, walking down the aisle, all glammed up and looking ethereal. Just the thought of the ceremony where they would become wife and wife gave Wendy a fuzzy feeling in her stomach. She imagined she might literally pass out if this was all real.

Focus, remember? You need to focus.

"Oh, my Seungwan-ah, you look so beautiful," her teary-eyed mom appeared by her side. Her mother would walk her down the aisle to the altar, where she would wait for Irene.

Wendy planted a peck on her mom's cheek and offered a gentle smile. "Don't cry, Mom, or I might start tearing up too. We wouldn't want to ruin our makeup."

"Sorry," Seung-ah sniffled back her tears. "I just can't believe I'm finally here to witness the day when my daughter would marry someone. And it’s Irene, a person who's as wonderful as you, my love."

Wendy hugged her emotional mother. "Oh, thank you, Mom."

Seung-ah smiled and gave Wendy an encouraging pat on the back. "Are you ready?"

Wendy nodded, and the instrumental piano version of Ed Sheeran's "Tenerife Sea" began to play softly in the background.

As Wendy made her way down the aisle, she could feel the eyes of the attendees fixed on her. Sooyoung, her maid of honor, sat in the front left row, ready to provide support whenever Wendy needed it. Even though Sooyoung knew none of this was real, her eyes welled up with tears as she saw the radiant brunette. Yeri stood beside Sooyoung, wearing the elegant headpiece chosen by Irene. Her cousin radiated with pride and joy, eagerly awaiting Wendy's arrival at the altar.

Wendy's father stood in the front right row, appearing as dashing as ever. His face remained emotionless as he watched Wendy intently, much like a hawk. Whether deep down he was somehow happy to see his daughter in a wedding dress or he still did not approve of this marriage at all, Wendy could not tell. She had hoped he would show a bit of support and accept the fact that this is what his daughter wants, however, Wendy understood that it wasn't going to happen today because standing in the seat behind her father was the ever-smirking Tiffany Young. This just meant that her father's presence was solely to witness their failure, so he could later throw it in Wendy's face and claim he had been right all along. Well, Wendy wasn't going to let that happen, not on her watch. She refused to give them the satisfaction of witnessing her and Joohyun fail.

She shifted her gaze to the lovely elderly woman beside her father, Halmi. She could see her grandmother's eyes glistening with tears, threatening to fall as she watched Wendy walk down the aisle. Wendy couldn't thank this woman enough for all the things she had done for her since she was a child. As the eldest grandchild, Wendy believed she had been quite spoiled by her Halmi. Her grandmother almost always let Wendy get away with everything but also made sure she understood the consequences of her actions. Halmi consistently provided valuable life lessons that Wendy could apply in real-life situations, and Wendy was just immensely grateful to have such a wonderful woman in her life.

Wendy could certainly use some of those life lessons in her current complicated situation, but she was confident she would be fine. She’s a grown-up woman now. She can now handle things on her own.

The brunette mouthed a silent "Thank you" to her grandmother, to which Halmi gently nodded in acknowledgement.

As Wendy finally reached her position by the altar where she would wait for the love of her life, the music also halted for a moment. The instrumental would then repeat right from the start, but this time, Wendy would sing the verses as Joohyun walked down the aisle, towards her.

It was quite unusual for one half of the couple to sing the wedding song while the other walked down the aisle, but Wendy wanted to add a personal touch. Although she couldn't confess her feelings directly to Joohyun yet, she hoped that through this song, she could convey the message her heart longed to shout to the world. While she couldn't fully express her feelings at this moment, she wanted to let Joohyun know how much she meant to her. Wendy understood that singing a love song wouldn't be enough to convey the depth of her emotions, but it was the best she could do for now.

Sooyoung approached Wendy with a smile and handed her the wireless microphone. "Seungwan-ah, this is a bit sappy, but go ahead and get your girl," the tall girl whispered before returning to her seat.

Wendy then shifted her gaze to Seulgi, who was the one in charge behind the piano. God, this girl was so talented. Wendy was certain there wasn't any form of art that Seulgi couldn't master. While her main strength lay in dancing, Seulgi displayed a keen interest in various other art forms, including music, literature, film, and painting. You name it, and Seulgi had already ventured into it. Oh, to be God's favorite.

This part of the ceremony was something they had discussed earlier. The second segment had a different feel from the first, now accompanied by the soft strumming of an acoustic guitar, creating a more romantic atmosphere.

The music started once again as the main door opened, revealing the most beautiful woman Wendy has ever seen. 

The world seemed to stand still as Wendy watched the door reveal Joohyun in all her heavenly beauty. The moment was a whirlwind of emotions and eager anticipation, and Wendy literally felt her stomach twisted into knots. As she stood by the altar, all she could sense was her heart racing with each step Joohyun took down the aisle. Her presence, basking in a soft, golden glow, seemed to transcend the ordinary, casting an ethereal aura around her.

Wendy found herself utterly entranced by the gracefulness of Joohyun's movements. She almost forgot that she needed to sing. With trembling hands and her heart beating crazily within her chest, the brunette brought the microphone to her lips. Her vision blurred at the edges, and her eyes began to well up with moisture, but she willed herself to hold it in and focus solely on Joohyun.

You look so wonderful in your dress, I love your hair like that…
The way it falls on the side of your neck, down your shoulders and back…

As she sang the song's lyrics, Joohyun's gaze met Wendy's. It seemed to catch the lady by surprise that Wendy was the one singing instead of some random wedding singer, but it was a good thing because Wendy now had Joohyun's full attention.

We are surrounded by all of these lies and people that talk too much…
You got the kind of look in your eyes as if no one knows anything but us…

It was as though Wendy was speaking to Joohyun through their locked gazes. Joohyun glided forward, her steps filled with a grace that seemed to defy gravity. Her gown trailed behind her, the delicate lace and shimmering fabric catching the light. Each step she took caused Wendy's heart to quicken its pace.

Should this be the last thing I see? I want you to know it's enough for me,
'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need…

Listen to me, Joohyun. This is just the beginning of all the many things I want to say.

I'm so in love
So in love…
So in love
I'm so in love…

I love you, Bae Joohyun.

Wendy watched as her Halmi approached Joohyun halfway, extending her arms so that the bride could link them with the elderly woman. Halmi would be the one escorting Joohyun toward Wendy. Her grandmother had specifically requested to take on the role of Joohyun's parents, as the old woman expressed her fondness for Wendy's fiancée. Halmi wanted Joohyun to feel that she has a family here.

But Wendy’s eyes remained fixed on her bride, unable to tear away. She was completely captivated by the radiant smile gracing Joohyun’s face and how it illuminated the entire room. Joohyun’s eyes locked onto her once again, making the world narrow down to just the two of them.

You look so beautiful in this light, your silhouette over me…
The way it brings out the brown in your eyes, it’s a terrific sight to see…

It was as if the rest of the world had faded into insignificance, and all that mattered was the connection they shared in that specific moment.

And all of the voices surrounding us here, they just fade out when you take a breath…
Just say the word and I will disappear into the wilderness…

As Joohyun drew closer, a surge of intense emotions coursed through Wendy. It was a beautiful and fleeting moment, representing the journey that had led them to this very point and a glimmer of hope for a future together.

Should this be the last thing I see? I want you to know it's enough for me,
'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need…

I'm so in love
So in love…
So in love
So in love…

Halmi and Joohyun came to a stop in front of Wendy, and the elderly woman offered Joohyun's hand for Wendy to hold, which the brunette gladly did. With each step that she inched closer to her, Wendy’s love for Joohyun swelled with every passing second. She marveled at how her mere presence seemed to fill the surroundings with a radiant warmth that embraced them both. Wendy held Joohyun’s gaze as she continued to convey her feelings through this love song.

Lumière, darling, Lumière over me…
Lumière, darling, Lumière over me…
Lumière, darling, Lumière over me…

Time seemed to suspend itself and the world seemed to stand still as Wendy looked into those beautiful eyes, making her heart beat with a mixture of love, excitement, and gratitude for this extraordinary moment they were sharing.

Should this be the last thing I see? I want you to know it's enough for me,
'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need…

I'm so in love
So in love…
So in love, love, love, love
So in love…

She found Joohyun smiling back at her, her gentle, doe-like eyes glistening with… Was that tears? Did that mean Joohyun is feeling something for Wendy as well? Wendy could only hope for now, but she could swear that the way Joohyun looked at her with those sincere eyes seemed like an attempt to convey a message of her own. It was something serious.

You look so wonderful in your dress, I love your hair like that…
And in a moment, I knew you best.

“You’re so beautiful, Son Seungwan,” Joohyun muttered as Wendy finished the song. “And your voice, it’s mesmerizing.”

Wendy responded with a light chuckle. “You looked stunning yourself. It feels like saying you're beautiful is an understatement.”

“Thank you.”

The brunette then guided her bride onto the stage, and together they stood before the officiant who would preside over the wedding ceremony. She handed the microphone to the officiant, so that he could begin the event.

“Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family of Seungwan and Joohyun, welcome and thank you for being here on this important day. We are gathered here today, in the presence of love, to celebrate the union of Seungwan and Joohyun, by joining them in marriage.”

Oh my god, why am I so nervous?? Is it because I am literally standing beside a beautiful, ethereal being?

Irene must have noticed her fidgeting with her bridal gown because she reached out for her hand and gently held it. She began to rub the back of Wendy's hand with her thumb, attempting to ease the strange tension that Wendy was feeling. All the while, Joohyun's eyes remained fixed on the officiant speaking in front of them.

Wendy breathed in and tried to calm herself.

“Love is a powerful force that brings us together, and today, we witness the joining of two hearts, two lives, and two families. It is a moment of joy, of hope, and of promises for the future,” the officiant continued. “Seungwan and Joohyun, your marriage today is the public and legal joining of your souls that have already been united as one in your hearts.”

Before the officiant could continue his speech, Joohyun abruptly cleared , capturing Seungwan's full attention. She then slowly raised her left hand, the one not holding Wendy, successfully diverting the officiant's attention this time.

"My dear, do you have a question?" the elderly man asked.

"Uhmm… No," Joohyun replied, briefly looking at Wendy and then back at the officiant.

"Your hand is up, my dear."

"Oh… It's… Uh, it's not a question, but I do have something I need to say."

What is she doing?

"Joohyun…," Wendy called out softly, but Joohyun ignored her.

"Can it wait until after, my dear?" the kind man gently asked, trying not to sound offensive.

"No, it can't."

"Joohyun, what are you doing?" Wendy whispered. She had an idea of what Joohyun was about to do, but Wendy's mind was refusing to acknowledge the fact that Joohyun was really doing this right now. Joohyun didn’t respond to her question, but the lady gently squeezed her hand before letting it go.

Wendy observed as Joohyun took a deep breath and turned to face the murmuring crowd.

"Hi there," she began. "Thank you all so much for coming here today. I would also like to thank my bride's family and friends for preparing such a lovely venue for all of us to celebrate our marriage."

"Joohyun… You don't have to do this…" Wendy attempted once more, but Joohyun couldn't e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter