Can’t help falling in love

Clever like the devil, but twice as pretty.

“Be careful. Take it easy.” Kyungsoo sighs as they walk through the doors of Kai and Jongin’s penthouse. He quickly learned that Jongin isn’t the most patient injured man ever. To start, he wanted to get out of bed on his own when Yixing officially discharged him, claiming he was okay to walk. However, Kyungsoo knew he would need help, and just as he thought, Jongin took three steps away from the bed before they had to reach out to help him.

“I am taking it easy,” Jongin says. His frown deepens, and an involuntary pout appears. He doesn’t like not being able to do things on his own and it shows. 

“No, you’re not. You’re rushing.” Kyungsoo helps Jongin sit on the couch. Sighing, he looks at him disapprovingly. He’s too stubborn for his own good.

Kai walks through the door as well, holding several bags and dropping them in the living room. “You do know you can’t just be walking around. They shot you. A bullet. A real bullet went through your flesh.”

“I know.” Jongin rolls his eyes.

“If you actually listen, then you’ll heal sooner.” Kyungsoo folds his arms. He’s glad to see some color returning to his cheeks. “Do I have to come over to stay with you for a while?”

Both Kai and Jongin’s features light up at the suggestion.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “You two are impossible.”

“Well, we do have quality time to recover.” Kai smiles, sitting next to his brother.

“And you owe me a lot of cuddling time.” Jongin nods.

Kyungsoo chuckles. He had a feeling they would be like this. 

The rest of their team walks in with bags full of ingredients and other things. Kyungsoo said he would make lunch if Jongin promised he would rest properly. 

“I’m going to go get lunch ready,” Kyungsoo says. “Are you comfortable? Do you need anything else?”

“You?” Jongin still looks tired, so Kyungsoo is tempted to just sit with him. However, he had other duties to fulfill.

“Lunch won’t make itself. I’ll come back once it’s done.” Kyungsoo leans in to kiss Jongin’s forehead. He smiles at him, the relief once again rushing through his system. He’s glad Jongin is at the very least alive. It could've been worse. Kyungsoo then walks to the kitchen. He can hear the animated chatter as Minseok and Jongdae put some things away and leave others on top of the counter. 

Sehun is standing by the door with Chanyeol, and Baekhyun just sits on a stool to watch. 

“I think I value my life a lot more after the last few days,” Baekhyun says. “And Sehunnie’s driving when we’re in danger.”

Kyungsoo chuckles, looking for an apron. He’s happy to see they still are where he remembers. “Why? Was Chanyeol’s driving too much?”

Baekhyun scoffs. “I knew would go down when you told us to flip them over, but that man didn’t even hesitate. What is wrong with him?”

Kai laughs. “He’s special.”

“I mean, don’t get me wrong… it was hot, but I could’ve used a warning.” Baekhyun runs a hand through his hair. His eyes travel across the room to where Chanyeol is standing. 

“Me giving you guys an order was enough warning.” Kyungsoo smiles. He grabs a cutting board and some vegetables to get started. “You wanted to ride with him.”

Baekhyun gives his boss a half-smile. “I won’t say what came to mind.”

Minseok rolls up his sleeves and washes his hands before he turns to Kyungsoo. “What do you need help with?”

“Uhh…” Kyungsoo blinks, surprised by the offer. “Maybe you can start with the rice.” 

“This is nice, though,” Baekhyun says. “I’m glad you guys worked it out.”

Jongdae nods. “I’m glad too. Getting Kyungsoo to function was hard.”

Kyungsoo simply sends him a look.

“Nobody is happier than me,” Minseok adds. “I had Kim Kai knocking on my door at three in the morning, just because he needed a place Kyungsoo hadn’t been in.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen. “Really?”

“My memories of you were everywhere… I couldn’t focus.” Kai sighs.

“What would you have done if I never believed you?” Kyungsoo glances at Kai. He knows Kai can be a little extremist sometimes. He can already picture their entire city on fire. 

“Burn the city,” Kai replies. There it was.

Jongdae raises an eyebrow. “Why the city?”

“Well, people would have to pay for it. Every single person responsible for that.” Kai shrugs.

“It doesn’t work that way.” Kyungsoo chops some vegetables, transferring them to a bowl. “Maybe I would’ve had to talk to you then, to keep you from burning the city.”

“In that case, I would’ve probably convinced you we didn’t do it.” Kai smiles.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Perhaps, although it would’ve been really hard.”

“So, what you’re saying is that even then, there was a slight possibility of us getting back together,” Kai smirks. He rests his chin on his hand as he watches Kyungsoo work and move smoothly around his kitchen. That’s a sight he missed.

“To save the city,” Jongdae replies.

“But he would fall back for us.” Kai winks at him.

“I don’t think that’s what he said though.” Baekhyun chuckles.

“That’s all I heard.” Kai insists. His smile becomes a grin when Kyungsoo just looks at him fondly.

“I can’t deal with you,” Kyungsoo says. 

“That’s not even half of it. I can make a list of all the things he did.” Minseok shoots Kai a glare. “And remind me not to stop you when you’re angry and about to get shot down. I almost dislocated my shoulder.”

“I’m sorry Min!” Kai chuckles. “I’ll double your vacation time.”

Minseok rolls his eyes. “As if.”

They keep chatting and laughing, just as if nothing happened. Their lives falling back into their routine was something they were all grateful for. They can only hope things don’t get that bad again, but more than anything, they needed things to return to normal. 

To be around each other again.

Kyungsoo serves the food for everyone and as promised, he sits next to Jongin while they eat. It’s insane the way Jongin almost immediately melts against him, leaning his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder once he’s done with his food. It will never cease to amaze Kyungsoo the way this man is now so comfortable with him when, barely half a year ago, he couldn’t stand to see his face.

It’s crazy how fast things change.

Before they leave, Minseok walks over to the three of them. Judging by his face, he has something serious to talk about. 

“I don’t want to ruin the afternoon, but I wanted to let you know Choi's father is trying to contact you.” Minseok sighs. They hadn’t heard from the old man since he left his son in charge. However, there’s not much he could say that could change the outcome of this situation. If he wanted his son to survive in this world, he should have done a better job at keeping him in his lane.

“Probably to negotiate his son’s life. Not that there’s much left to negotiate.” Kai says, waving it off. “Tell him we’re busy.”

Kyungsoo frowns. “We shouldn’t put salt in the wound or worry him needlessly.”

“Well, he lost his right to talk about it when my brother got shot. I wasn’t going to let him hurt us any longer.” Kai shakes his head. 

He’s right. Kyungsoo would never risk their lives ever again. One hole in the stomach was more than enough. 

“I guess it’s true.”

“I will let them know, then.” Minseok nods, bowing politely before he turns around. “I’ll be back in the morning.”

Kai chuckles. “Take the day off, we will too.” 

“We both know that’s a lie,” Minseok yells from the door as he closes it behind him.

Just like that, the three of them are alone once again. 

Kyungsoo helps Jongin lie down, fixing the pillows for him. He can see his eyes slowly closing and Jongin trying to fight the sleep away. He’s losing miserably, though. 

“Jongin, just go to sleep… I’ll be here when you wake up again.” Kyungsoo brushes his fingers over his cheek, eventually playing with his hair.

“But you’re here and I don’t want to miss it,” Jongin whispers, his eyes already closing.

Kyungsoo’s heart fills with so many emotions. So many he can’t keep track of. These men have done so much just for them to be like this. And to think it all almost got ruined. He won’t let anyone else take this away from him.

“You won’t miss anything,” He leans in to kiss Jongin’s cheek. “I’ll be here for a good while.”

“Promise?”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “I promise.”

Jongin sighs, getting comfortable, eyes finally closing. Kyungsoo turns to Kai, who has been watching him with a smile on his face. 

“What?”

Kai shakes his head, his smile spreading. “Nothing, I just realized I never told you… but I love you.”

Kyungsoo’s heart jumps in his chest. He really just said that without hesitation. Like he was randomly discussing work affairs or the weather. Kyungsoo stutters, his brain trying to process what he just heard. Meanwhile, kai bursts out laughing.

“You don’t have to say it back. I just felt like it.” He shrugs. 

Kyungsoo blinks, trying to gather his thoughts. It’s not like he didn’t feel the same, or that he felt it was too soon. He just… caught him off guard.

“I love you too,” Jongin then mumbles and Kyungsoo turns to him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be falling asleep?”

“Not yet,” Jongin says. He opens one eye to look at him and smiles. 

And to think that they almost wouldn’t have this because people went out of their way to deceive him. He would’ve lost all of this and more. Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to say, except he does.

He sighs, a smile soon taking over. Reaching out to caress both of their cheeks, he shakes his head in disbelief. “You two are definitely something. However, I wouldn’t change that for anything. I love you both just as much.”

“Even when I may annoy you more often than not?” Kai smiles. 

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Yes.”

“Even when I might use my cute-cumber line every now and then?” Jongin asks. Eyes still closed.

Kyungsoo laughs then. “Even then.”

“Then…” Jongin opens one eye again. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber.”

And Kyungsoo didn’t need anything else.

...

..

.

Twitter: VanillaNini1