Cry for Love

Clever like the devil, but twice as pretty.

Kai glares at his computer screen for heaven knows how long. His feelings are catching up with him, which means he’s not in the best of moods. He’s frustrated and he can tell Jongin is too, with the way he’s glaring at his phone. Nothing has worked so far.

They’ve been trying to contact Kyungsoo, and nothing has worked. He’s not answering and refusing to see them, but why?

That’s the part they can’t figure out, and it’s killing them inside. Not knowing what they did wrong and not being able to explain their side of the story. It doesn’t feel fair. If they could only reach him. Talk to him.

He’s been looking through their emails and files, trying to find anything in those contracts that could’ve possibly ruined their relationship. He found nothing, and that’s bothering him even more. The fact that he doesn’t have even a clue on how to fix the situation.

How to make him see they would never betray him. That they would never hurt him.

He sits back in his chair, groaning as he stares at the ceiling light. This has to be the first time his brain is so clouded by what he’s feeling that he can’t properly see the best way through a problem. His brain is a mess, and his stomach is a knot of anxiousness and frustration.

A cigarette is looking like heaven right now.

The door swings open, letting Minseok into the office as he carries a folder in his hands. He drops it over the desk and Kai’s hands rush to it almost on their own.

“I found our copy in the archive room. I couldn’t find anything that could make them react like this, though.” Minseok sighs.

Just as Kai was expecting. “Tell Chanyeol to get the emails with dates and the terms of the contracts. Maybe this might be enough to have a discussion.”

Minseok nods. “I also have been trying to contact people that aren’t from the core team, but it has been impossible.”

“We’re probably all blocked.” Jongin sighs.

It’s been a whole day since Kyungsoo picked up those documents. He had enough time to let the rest of his organization know about it. It was doomed from the start. And of course, they would never answer if it’s Kai, Jongin, or Minseok calling. They probably blacklisted their numbers.

Unless…

“Before we do anything, have Chanyeol come up here,” Kai says, leaning forward. “He might be the way.”

Kai doesn’t have much faith. He assumes that if Youngmin and Kyungsoo hate them, then it’s likely that the rest of them do too. And they’ve been instructed not to talk to any of them under any circumstances. When Chanyeol walks into the office and dials the number, Kai’s not all that confident, and he loses even more of that confidence when the phone keeps ringing.

It keeps ringing.

However, the ringing stops and they hear a sudden dry Park , into the line.

Something lights up inside of him.

“You’re on speaker,” Chanyeol says, not even bothering to greet the other man.

There’s a sigh. “ I shouldn’t be talking to any of you right now .”

“We know.” Kai jumps in. “We’ll be quick. We think that whatever happened, it’s a misunderstanding.”

Baekhyun scoffs. “ Don’t feed me bull, please. I saw the documents .”

“You see Baekhyun, I also saw the documents… and there’s nothing in there that could’ve provoked this.”

“ You really are cynical, aren’t you? 

“What I’m trying to say is that I need to see the contracts Soo has… I don’t know what’s going on, but I’d like a chance to fix it.”

“ I don’t think you deserve such a thing .” Baekhyun sighs. “ Listen, I have to- 

“Baekhyun, do I look like the type of person who would put this city upside down and do everything I can to get Soo back safe and then betray him? Why would I do that?”

“ For fun? 

Kai bursts out laughing. Alright, he got him there. “Maybe… but I don’t see how that benefits me in any other way. You’ve seen what I’m capable of doing for him, and that’s not even half of the things I would do.” Kai sighs. “You don’t have to trust me. However, I want to send you a copy of the documents I have and you can see for yourself.”

“ How do I know you’re not lying to me? 

“I may be a lot of things, but a liar is not one of them.” Kai frowns. “And you know I value loyalty the most. Had I been tired of my business or relationship with Kyungsoo, I would’ve told him.”

Silence.

Jongin takes a step forward. “We don’t even know what those documents say. Not really, since they are apparently different from the ones we made.” He runs a hand through his hair. “We’re still investigating why. But all you have to do is check them out and decide for yourself.”

Kai nods. “I could be lying to you right now… but what if I’m not?”

There’s more silence to the point where Kai thinks he hung up on them. He hopes he can spark his curiosity enough for him to give them a chance. That’s all he needs. That seed of doubt planted in his mind. Baekhyun then speaks again.

“ Fine, I’ll check them out. But I’m not making any promises .”

“That’s all we’re asking.” Kai smiles. “Chanyeol will be in contact with you.” Kai looks up at the tall man, who sighs, narrowing his eyes at his shoes.

“ Fine. 

And with that, the line goes dead. Somehow, that takes some weight off of Kai’s shoulders. He’s sure Baekhyun will be reasonable enough to see through whatever is going on.

“Do you think it’ll work?” Minseok asks. Jongin has the same question written all over his face.

“We don’t have many options, do we?” All he can do for now is wait and investigate. “Send these to him.” He hands the contracts to Chanyeol. “And call Junmyeon. I have a few questions for him.”

Junmyeon walks into the office a lot later. He looks slightly different from what Kai is used to, with his loosened tie and messy hair. His eyes look tired and if it wasn’t because of the situation, Kai would’ve probably just sent him home.

“Junmyeon,” Kai stands from behind his desk. “Thanks for coming this late and with such short notice.”

Junmyeon chuckles. “Nothing new, if I’m being honest.” He hesitates, shoving his hands inside his pockets. “Although I figured something was going on for you to call with such urgency.”

Kai nods. “Something is going on… have you heard anything elsewhere?”

“No.” Junmyeon raises an eyebrow. “Should I have heard something?”

“It’s too soon, I suppose… and I don’t think Soo’s team would openly talk about it, either.” Kai sits at the edge of his desk. “We are not doing business together for the time being… we’re being accused of betraying him, but I’m not sure what that entails or how I did so exactly.” He shrugs. “All I know is that we asked him to pick up those contracts for the SC group and he’s not talking to us ever since.”

Junmyeon’s brows furrow at this information. He scratches his chin lightly as he thinks. “There shouldn’t be anything in those documents.”

“That’s what I said. We’re getting the documents he has because I have the feeling they’re not quite the ones we asked him to pick up.” Kai sighs. “Which also leaves the mystery of why doesn’t he have the right ones?”

Junmyeon pulls back a chair and sits down. “If you’re wondering if I heard something… I haven’t. At least not related to you.”

Kai remains silent for a moment, his eyes rise to the ceiling. He knows he had the right documents. He checked them several times before and nobody, but his close team has access to his office. If his suspicion is accurate, then someone would’ve had to…

He sighs. “Of course… the security breach we had a few days ago.” He almost laughs at this. “After checking we concluded that they didn’t steal anything, however…”

“They could’ve changed something.” Junmyeon nods. “Small enough for you not to notice.”

“Which is oddly specific, but more than likely made, so this would happen.” Kai stands up.

“Do you have any leads on who did it?”

“We’re waiting on the security footage. Apparently, he was good at avoiding his face being shown, and the shots we have aren’t the greatest.” Kai bites his bottom lip. Foot tapping on the floor. “But that’s something.”

“I’ll keep an ear out. If someone slips, we’ll know.” Junmyeon stands up as well. “There have been some disputes, so I’m sure someone will talk, eventually.”

Kai frowns. “Disputes?”

“Yeah, looks like after Lee’s organization went to , other people have been interested in his territory… however, rumor has it someone has already taken over his side.” Junmyeon shrugs. “They’re running the business as if nothing happened.”

“Really? I figured they would tear it apart and divide it.”

“They tried, but whoever is in charge now has a solid team and is running a tight ship.”

Kai hums. “I see… I feel uneasy about this.”

“Me too.”

The idea of someone running everything in the shadows makes Kai think about past events, and if someone potentially dangerous is still out there and could still go for Kyungsoo, this is the worst time for them to not be on speaking terms.

“I’ll be in contact. In the meantime, keep your eyes open and stay alert.” Junmyeon says.

Kai chuckles. “As always.”

Junmyeon hesitates. “I don’t usually meddle in other people’s lives, but… are you okay?”

Kai laughs, not because he finds any humor in this, but because that’s the only thing he can think of right now. “No.”

And that’s more truthful than it’s ever been.

Waiting patiently has never been Jongin’s strength, especially with things or people he cares about, but he forces himself to sit still as they wait. His hands are curled into fists, trying to contain the anxious energy inside him. He keeps tapping the floor with his feet, which confirms the difficulty of the task.

He’s nervous.

And he can’t remember the last time he ever was.

Taking a deep breath, he glances at his brother, who, in appearance, is calm and collected, but he knows Kai is feeling the same way. All they can do is wait at the back of the not-so-busy restaurant for the signal. All they can do is wait.

About ten more minutes pass by until Chanyeol walks into their private booth. He nods, making Kai and Jongin rise from their chairs instantly. Jongin’s stomach turns into knots as they walk down the hall to the private room where they know Kyungsoo should be waiting.

Kai takes a deep breath

He pauses in front of the door. Chanyeol opens it for them and they walk in. Kyungsoo immediately stands up at the sound of the door and turns around to greet them. However, the hint of the smile he had on his lips dies the moment his eyes land on them.

He wasn’t waiting for them after all.

Initially, it was all about getting those documents from Baekhyun, in private, of course. However, they both couldn’t pass on the opportunity to talk to Kyungsoo. To see him, no matter how brief that encounter turned out to be.

Their stares collide for a fleeting moment. It’s too short to be sure, but Jongin thinks he sees the pain in them. The little signs here and there. Eyes slightly swollen, the lack of light in them. However, any sign of pain is gone when he looks back at them, leaving only what they feared the most… hate.

Or was it indifference?

Something Jongin has never seen in him. Not even when they didn’t like each other, Kyungsoo had never looked at them like this.

He frowns and heads for the door. However, Kai is quick to get in his way.

“We have to talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Kyungsoo’s voice sounds forced. Jongin doesn’t like this one bit. His heart is aching.

“There’s a lot to talk about.” Kai holds Kyungsoo’s arm gently, however the other snaps back. “When have I been the one to chase people I’m trying to screw over?” Kai’s tired eyes never leave Kyungsoo’s.

“You talk as if we weren’t enemies for years… you never had trouble with it in the past.”

“That’s a good point, but it’s not valid anymore… not after-”

“No need. I don’t want any fabricated explanations from you.” He then glares at Jongin. “From neither of you. Be grateful I’m not in the mood to end both of you right now.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“Don’t tell me what I mean.” Kyungsoo takes a step back. His eyes fall to the ground. “There’s nothing you can say or do. I’ve seen enough.”

“I know that’s not true.”

Jongin wishes he could say something, anything, that could get him to understand. However, his words are stuck in his throat. If he says anything, he’ll break.

“For once, Mr. Kim… you’re wrong.” Kyungsoo’s voice is impersonal. His eyes look detached when he gazes at them again. No signs of emotion or anticipation. No signs of that light whenever he looked at them. They were empty, and that alone made a shiver run down Jongin’s spine. His next words break them more than anything else could. “I’m done with you and everything you represent. Loyalty is something you preach so proudly, but apparently, it’s something worth little to nothing to you. It was all bull, and I should’ve known.” He scoffs. “Whatever it was I thought I felt for any of you is gone… I’m sure that shouldn’t be a problem. I bet your feelings were all lies as well. This was just a game, after all, one that we both knew how to play.”

Kyungsoo pushes past them, leaving the room. Jongin takes in a shaky breath. He feels the pieces of his heart leaking through his rib cage. He can tell his brother is just as triggered. Kai’s stare is glued to the space Kyungsoo had just occupied. They can’t understand how something they were protecting so greatly could be shattered in barely a few days.

Shattered in seconds.

Kai turns to leave, and Jongin follows him. Luckily, Chanyeol is waiting outside for them. He leads the way back to the vehicle where Minseok is waiting as well. They’re about to open the door for them, but Kai stops before they can.

“You got them?”

Chanyeol nods, and he turns to Minseok.

“Yes.” Minseok shifts his weight from one foot to the other.

“Give it to me.” Kai extends a hand.

“Boss…”

“Give me the ing documents, Minseok!” Kai faces him, shoulders rising and falling heavily with his breathing. From his position, Jongin can see the pulsating vein in his neck. Minseok lets out a sigh before he hands him the folder.

Kai scans the document, flipping through the pages fiercely, almost breaking them in the process. He reads through them, tension filling his body.

Jongin can feel Kai’s anger levels rising.

He hums, handing Jongin the papers. He scans through them as well. Just as they thought, this was nothing like the original. All the modifications and lies. Clause after clause, they’re all different from what they initially signed. All were designed to effectively screw Kyungsoo over, giving away his information, his contacts, and his business deals, with the promise of more to come. Jongin starts to understand his brother’s anger and honestly, he understands Kyungsoo’s too. He’s starting to feel it himself.

He’s about to say something when Kai launches forward, hand curled into a tight fist, colliding with the window of their car. It cracks under the pressure. Kai simply takes a deep breath as he steps back.

“Back to the office.” He murmurs.

Minseok frowns. “Kim.”

“Do I have to repeat myself?” Kai barks. “Back to the office.”

In moments like these, they all know better than to contradict him.

Jongin sighs as they get in the car. He doesn’t know how, or why, but whoever did this to them will surely pay the consequences.

He can bet his life on it.

 

 

 

....

Twitter: VanillaNini1