Chapter Four

Traces of Footsteps

“Where the heck is he!” Exclaimed Yunho. Now he was really annoyed.

 

They had been waiting for nearly an hour for Jaejoong and he wasn’t picking up when they called him. If they didn’t leave in about ten minutes they would be late to the Party. Where he was they didn’t know.

 

“Did he send you any texts?” Yunho asked YoungSaeng.

 

Youngseang pulled his phone out and checked his inbox. “Nope. The last text was the same one we saw in the chat.”

 

Yunho frowned. 

 

“The same one where he lied about being here.”Junsu said with a loud sigh.

 

“Are we being tricked?” Changmin asked with a gleeful glint in his dark eyes.

 

“Could be, and I am not here for it. We’ll be late!” Hyujoong said.

 

“You know what, I bet he is still standing in front of that house waiting for us. When we said near the Marion house, I think he thought that’s where we said to meet us,” Changmin said, trying to rationalize Jaejoong’s texts and his absence.

 

“Let go then,” YoungSaeng exclaimed.

 

“Maybe?”

 

“He wouldn’t make that mistake. Plus, he could call or something.”

 

“True, Junsu, but let’s just check. If he is not there, we’re leaving,” Yunho said.

 

“Aww. Perfect Halloween prank ruined,” Junsu whined.

 

“Served you right.”

 

“We still have next year,” Yunho said, already walking.

 

The nine teens ran down the street trying to reach their friend so that they wouldn’t be late to the Halloween party. That they couldn’t afford.

 

----------------------

 

“He's not here! I thought you said in front of the Marion mansion. He’s not here,” Myungyeol whined.

 

“It was only a suggestion.”

 

“Okay, I was just saying, dude.”

 

“The question here is, where is Jaejoong,” Yunho said, growing concerned now.

 

“True.”

 

“I’m calling him again.”

 

It was probably the twentieth time.

 

“No answer.”

 

“Maybe he waited on us and when he missed us he went home, you never know.” Suggested Changmin.  

 

    “He’s still not picking up,” Yunho said.

 

    “Should we call his home?”

 

“I don’t want to worry his parents.”

 

-------------

 

After calling Jaejoong for about the hundredth time, they finally gave up. Knowing that something was up, they gave in and called Jaejoong’s home. Only to get his dad, and he said Jaejoong sped out of the house saying to his sister that he was going to meet them. They haven’t heard from him since.

 

When they felt like there was nothing more to do, they told his family how they had been waiting for him for an hour straight. And they still haven’t seen him. It wouldn’t have taken him that long to get to their meet-up place

 

The school was called, only to get the same saying. They haven’t seen Jaejoong.

 

Finally, his parents said they should just call the cops. They would be meeting them.

 

When the cops came, after they answered all the questions they could, there was still no answer for where Jaejoong was or could be. 

 

Jaejoong was missing, and they still didn’t know where he was, and it was all their fault.

 

Pressed together in a corner of the street, they watched the adults move around them in a dreamlike trance. The nine of them tried to hold back their despair at every hour that passed.

 

Finally, around midnight, the cops decided it was a good idea if they checked the house ground. Maybe he went inside thinking his friend could be waiting in there for him. 

 

They came out an hour later with the dead body of Kim Jaejoong in a black bag. 

 

The boys were so shocked, Junsu and Changmin passed out. There it was, their worst nightmare coming true, one of their friends was dead and it was all of their fault.

                                                                         

Kim Jaejoong was dead.