Chapter Three

Traces of Footsteps

 

Jaejoong was paddling down the street, his lungs hurting. Jaejoong was almost at the house.

 

Looking down the street, he didn’t see his friends standing in front of the house, where he expected them. Thinking they had played a prank on him, he pulled his phone out and sent them a scathing text, it read:

 Don’t tell me this is one of your practical jokes. I paddled as hard as I could all the way down here. I’m in front of the Marion house  

 

The moment he pressed send, he heard his name being called. Turning around, he saw no one. Then he heard it again. “Over here, you idiot.”

 

Looking at where the sound came from, he saw his friends. All nine of them were standing behind the gate, not where they told him they would be.

 

“Hey! I never heard you saying we were meeting inside the estate.” He hopped off his bike, slightly annoyed.

 

“Stop whining,” moaned Junsu. “And just come in.”

 

Junsu could be the sweetest guy ever, but only when he wanted to.

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes back at him. “You are all ridiculous.”

 

“You’re a whiny baby,” Yunho teased, smiling at him.
Come over,” he waved at him.

 

Yunho opened the gate and pulled him inside by the forearm.

 

“We have something to show you,” Yunho whispered, pushing him deeper into the estate.

 

“Not so sure I want to know what it is.” They all laughed.

 

“No worries, Jaejoongie, we promise not to show you something gruesome, nothing to terrify you.”

 

“I hate all of you,” he said.

 

‘What? We promise. Only drinks and fun tonight.”

 

“Um, Yunho who are you kidding?” Jaejoong said with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Yeah, who are you kidding?” Murmured Changmin, with his head down.

 

“Remember what I said, Changmin,” Junsu hissed.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” He rolled his eyes. “How could I forget?”

 

     “Well, good to know,” Junsu reiterated.

 

“Okay what the heck is going on between you two?” Jaejoong asked with suspicion.

 

“You know they’re always like this.” Yunho slung his arm around Jaejoong’s neck as he smiled.

 

They started walking deeper into the estate ground. Closer and closer to the big mansion standing stark white against the darkness.

 

“Wha–” Swallowing, Jaejoong started again. “What are we going to be doing in the house?”

 

“Nothing, but remember we have something to show you.” Murmured Myungyeol.

 

“Oh, yeah, so what is it that you guys can’t wait to show me?” Jaejoong asked, still following his friends.

 

“Don’t worry.” Yunho said and smiled at him. “When we are there, you will know,” Yunho whispered near Jaejoong ear. 

 

That creepy feeling slithered down his spine again. His stomach lurched. He felt the need to run back into the sanctuary of the street.  He leaned more into his friend’s comfortable body heat.

 

He was with the nine people in his life that he trusted. And he still felt so alone, like he was all by himself. Shaking his head with the hope of killing those horrible thoughts that were running through his head. But he was nervous. He didn’t know anymore. 

 

The house loomed over them. It never looked this terrifying in the daylight.

 

“So what is inside this old house that can be so interesting that you’ve invited me to view?” He asked, in hope of getting them to spill the beans.

 

“Other than the fun?” Junsu said in a sing-song voice.

 

“Yes, other than that, Junsu.”

 

“Stop trying Jaejoong,” Junsu wagged his finger at him with a playful smile. “You will have to wait to see it.”

 

“Okay, whatever,” he said in a resigned voice.

 

There they were in front of the door, Yunho pulled his body away from Jaejoong’s, but kept his arm around his neck, and with his other hand he pulled the door open.

 

Jaejoong paused.

 

The friends flowd in.

 

“Come on, Jaejoongie, don’t chicken out.”

 

“I am not!”

 

His friends laughed. 

 

Looking back at the safe, but empty street, he turned around and looked at his friends’ smiling faces.

 

“Let’s go,” Yunho said, reaching out to grab his elbow.

 

 Taking a deep breath, he let Yunho guide him inside.

 

He had nothing to fear, these were his friends. They would never wish any harm, or do any harm to him. That was for sure.

 

Smiling at them, he said walking in, “I am not chicken.”

 

The boys hooted.

 

The moment he entered, the door swung back into place. He was swallowed by the never ending darkness.