Of Cake Batter & Dectectives

You are My Saviour

Baekhyun's POV Nine hours later.

 

He takes a deep breath willing his hand to stop shaking as he rounds the corner to where his bakery stands, it's may be sunrise soon but in the early pre dawn light and sparse activity around him is enough to give him the jitters. This little patch of ground and concrete he's worked so hard to create used to be his safe haven, now he's terrified of what he will find on his doorstep. 

 

Taking a deep breath he can't really think about what could be waiting for him, he has a busy morning ahead of him, and a show cooking live to prepare for tomorrow. The other item he has to prepare for he would rather not think about, he should of left the moment officer Park opened his mouth. Closing his eyes he desperately tries to fight of the shame of being called a scoundrel, had Officer dickward been more cordial he himself wouldn't of been so brat like. He's not proud of his own smart mouth last night but he felt both helpless and insulted. Even if his dreams were filled with that man's deep baritone voice and how this  man had been blessed by all the gods to look like a walking Adonis, stupidly tall with defined long legs too match. He really doesn't want to admit that Officer tall, dark and handsome would of ticked all his boxes, until those admittedly gorgeous glossy lips started talking.

 

It was just a disaster and now said Officer dickward is going to be here at some point today, he just knows he's not going to be discreet and will have his regulars either scurrying away, or fawning over him. He's not sure which one makes his chest pang more. Shaking his head he may of had some rather saucy dreams of exactly what Officer Park can do with those handcuffs. right now though with this stalker making him feel a little more like a lamb to the slaughter and after last night and Officer dickward routine, their relationship will be purely professional. He admits a small part of him doesn't want the officer to get hurt, the other part of him is not so forgiving of the words the officer threw out last night even after the apology his walls were solidly in place.

 

Shaking out his icy white hair, he can't think about what happened last night or the beautiful yet insufferable officer, checking his watch he has less than an hour before Jongdae arrives and he needs to get the baguettes in the oven. Honestly he's never been more thankful for his idea to freeze certain batters and doughs, as it certainly makes his morning routine so much easier. It's no longer the eye watering 3am starts, sure he still is at the bakery before dawn every day it's open and often last to leave. It's why his love life is non existent and his social life just an extension of the cafe it's all late night pizza and chicken. That's why he's so u sure as to who this stalker could be, as much as he wished he went to a different precinct he truly does need the officers help. 

 

Finally having the courage he steps up to the back kitchen of his bakery, his hands tremble a bit as he opens up the doors. A sense of dread swimming in his gut like a water snake, but as the lights flick on and he crosses the threshold, there's no sign of any crisp Manila packaging waiting for him. Closing his eyes again he feels slightly foolish but relieved to know his day will not be spent dreading what's in side the brown envelope. Instead he can concentrate on making all the early birds there bread and pastry fixes. Formulating a plan of baguettes and sourdough first then doughnuts and his famous matcha, white chocolate and raspberry crepe cake, he fires up the oven, washes his hands finds his Favourite boy band playlist and gets to work.

 

One hour later, there's a beautiful smell wafting through the kitchen, baguettes are cooling on racks complete with their white floured coats there's two dozen crispy sourdough cob loaves resting on cooking racks ready for the counter. Beautiful cherry scones are backing in the oven, his best selling cake is almost complete it just needs the Chantilly cream and fresh raspberries. He may even have time for the decadent miso and caramel brownies, when he gets the fright of his life.  It's only a second but his heart almost leaps out of his chest when he sees a shadow in the corner of the kitchen, but when he spies out the corner of his eyes his best friend with a smug grin on his face. He's far to slow to stop the undignified squeal that has his friends famous troll like laughs filling the tiny space.

 

"Chen you scared me to death, why are you creeping around like a thief in the night!"

 

"Technically I'm not, I called your name a good five minutes ago, but you've been so absorbed in making perfection that I just didn't want to disturb you I know you well enough to know you must really be stressed if your making a crepe cake."

 

He wouldn't normally make a fuss about the cakes he's making but with the impending arrival of A certain officer he's affair his usual morning muffins would make him feel like all the other bakers out there. "Am I truly that transparent?"

 

"You only make this cake when your looking to impress, and I bet you've just poured melted chocolate into caramel and miso. You can try and say no but I can smell it from here!"

 

"Oh fine yes I'm making my signature brownies, yes I know it's not even 7am, that this amount of chocolate before noon is not healthy!"

 

He knows exactly what's coming next, he truly is so thankful for his best friend as he would truly be lost with out him, especially after last night! He truly has every intention of going to stay with his beautiful troll of a friend, but his anger at the police officer and just wanting to use his own bath and bed overruled any form of sense and self preservation last night. He'll never admit it either but he really just wanted to dream about,  Officer Talk Dark and handsome in his own bed. He just wouldn't be able to live with the fact that after said officers treatment, he still had vivid fantasies of being at his mercy. 

 

The angry heat in his cheeks rising at the very notion he could quite happily get on his knees for the same officer that insulted him. He's not a blind man and that stupidly handsome face will no doubt feature in many an x rated dream, his pride won't let him fall for the officer. Not because of last night he's just acutely aware of that ever present feeling of being watched and after receiving those disgusting photos, he doesn't want to bring attention so degrading to anyone else. He's still but been able to think of any one from his very limited dating past, he poured through the bakery instagram feed, yes there are mentions of the cute pastry chef but nothing of a pattern or anyone being pushy about details. 

 

"Hello earth to Baekhyun! Are you even listening to what I just said!"

 

Feeling a little sheepish at being once again, staring into space he turns back to face his closet friend. Who instantly softened his own hard stare, clearly able to read him like a book and pick up on his own nervousness. 

 

"Oh my god You finally went to the police, what did they say! Are they investigating? Can they help you are they able to tell you who is behind the photos!"

 

"Please calm down Chen it wasn't that easy I met the biggest jerk. In fact, he was very much officer dickwad!"

 

"Officer dickwad?"

 

"Chennie chen I'm in so much torment, wait let me start at the beginning, that envelope wasn't just off cut out letters, it was vile ographic photos that I will not explain. So I took your advice and yes I did go to the station, however made a complete tit of myself as I wanted to be as inconspicuous as possible. I dressed like a homeless person with items from our lost and found, I won't bore you with that info what I will say is said Officer is the hottest man on the planet with legs for miles, and muscles staring against his clothes. However he is such a jerk and the owner of an ego the size of the universe!"

 

"What did he say?"

 

"Oh, you won't believe this first he thought I was snitching then he thought I was from the slums! That i was trying to save my skin from all those feral idiots out there. To top it off he thought because I'm a little bit smaller then the average baker, that I was pulling his leg!"

 

"Well you are short Baekhyun, I take it he was a little bit more hesitant at first to even listen!"

 

"You could say that, he was so dismissive and he is just,  just, sorry I mean he is perhaps the most arrogant man I have ever encountered, he formed an instant assumption of me that couldn't be further than the truth. I could repeat verbatim exactly what he said but it just makes me angry!"

 

"Let me guess your sassiness also reared its self, come on Baek, you may be small but you too can't deny that you can be a bit judgmental!"

 

"Yes I did do the whole don't judge a book by its cover with a little too much of my attitude, in my defence I was pissed off! Only an hour prior I had expelled the contents of my stomach by what was in the envelope!"

 

He truly hates how fear consumes himself when he thinks of these vile photos, and that constant feeling of being watched. The trembling of his hands make it impossible to mix the cake batter in the bowl in front of him, he truly hates this feeling of weakness and being out of control. Yes he's not some idol or supermodel but the spotlight like this was never what he wanted, he just wanted to use his patisserie skills to make people happy.

 

"Aw Baek it's all going to be ok, right now and I'm thinking of your safety, I think we really should stop with the live demos starting from tomorrow, I don't like to see you like this!"

 

"Let's keep tomorrow's live as planned Chenie I already have the ingredients for the chiffon cake, besides you said we have followers waiting for it. Please I promise it will be the last one, whilst we are in the subject of the video, the officers will be coming later to view our security camera footage!"

 

"I take it this is the reason for the more creme da Le crème of your baking, I mean is there anything left for me to help with!"

 

"Everything that we need is in the oven, all three batches of muffins will be done in about 5 minutes. Doughnut batter ready to go, I was contemplating a d I should do avocado toast too, but I don't think we have any!"

 

"No we don't you didn't ask me to add to inventory, but please tomorrow leave me something to help prepare. I know your anxious about everything but we can't have out favourite baker burn out because of it!" 

 

"Sorry I just feel so on edge right now, I should of called you last night to stay but I just was so wired for all the wrong reasons."

 

"I'll come pick you up tonight, because I doubt you will consider leaving before the bakery closes."

 

He doesn't have to say it, as they both know the only thing in his love life right now is this bakery. It's been years of blood, sweat and tears to get Cake and Scone to where it is today, it's his livelihood and baby. Instead of words he feels a conforming hand on his shoulder, his friend and business partner understands this the most, they may joke about him being the slave to the kitchen, Jongdae is the whizz at finance and spends hours editing their livestreams and vide for that ever perfect Cake and Scone aesthetic. 

 

"Baekhyun won't you tell me what those photos were of, maybe I can help."

 

"Chen, they were filled with my face superimposed on someone else's body, but not just anybody this duo were committing acts I would never even dream of. I know exists, but this was so much more!"

 

"Ok say no more, I think too that it's best that you do satay with me even if it's just a couple of days for the police to make progress."

 

"Thank you, now I don't want to talk about photos, or officers that are too handsome yet arrogant untill I have to see his face again. All this negativity will make my cakes sink!"

 

Baekhyun turns to the divine mixture in his bowl, these brownies will go down so well and will make everyone's days so much better, including his own as he makes a mental note to trim some slices for the team. He conveniently ignores but doesn't miss the face of his best friend either, but he will never admit how much his heart skipped beats in the presence of officer dickward last night. It's surely illegal for anyone to look so dashing, so raw so perfectly alpha male. Thankfully he manages to stop himself from full on swooning like some love sick groupie, he can't think like that not right now. 

 

He's got the rest of these cakes to finish, then get the bakery open for the mad morning rush that will sweep them off their feet. Thankfully he has another hour to get the next batch ready as he predicts, the items he chosen to cook today will sell like hot cakes.

 

Three Hours Later 

He finally bags up the last slice of his matcha crepe cake in to a box for the ahjuma, wanting to surprise her husband. With the last bow and presentation of pastel yellow box he watches as she leaves, the morning rush finally over and allowing him a moment to breathe, when he hears the whine of his best friend. "Good lord I'm so ready for a coffee, today's been insane and it's only, oh yuck how is it only 10am!"

 

He can't help but smile at his business partner, even after all their years knowing each other he still isn't a morning person, he knows the longer his friend is without the liquid gold know as caffeine and coffee his troll like awhey's will wake the dead. Leaving the man to his dramatics, he's quick to head to the coffee pot and get the treats he hid earlier. They all deserve a treat after that mad rush, he's so engrossed in making perfect coffees with just the right amount of cream and sugar that he doesn't notice how the busy bakery is suddenly silent.he's too busy concentrating on not dropping the tray in his hands to notice the two new patrons that have arrived. Whom watch his every move like hawks, it's only when his best friend lets out a squeak that's almost a moan dies he notice how the once usual calm atmosphere is heavy with commanding testosterone.

 

Testosterone coming from one man in particular, there in all his glory is the very man that sets his skin ablaze, both in a raw, visceral, explosive need to climb him like a tree. Yet the memories of last night invoke his need to instantly snap back with all the fire his temper and stubbornness he can hold. He will never admit it but the absence of that haughty attitude of last night, and the surprising commanding aura makes his knees week. 

 

He's only able to squeak out an "officer park we agreed you would not turn up until after the morning rush!"

 

Chanyeol's POV .

He can't help but feel deflated at the unease still in those gorgeous eyes of the man in front of him, serves him right really. He really was an yesterday and now the subject of his only case, will forever mistrust his intentions. This true beautiful delicate pixie, has nothing but distrust in those eyes, he so wishes that they crinkled up in relief. Yet he knows it will be along time for Byun Baekhyun to even acknowledge him cordially. 

 

Even if his own dreams last night were very x rated and involved running his hands throughout that thick and fluffy ice white whispy hair. Those lips and eyes that could make every Disney princess jealous have been doing very naughty acts in his dream, but now this pixie once again has the mistrust coming out of his  sinful petite body in waves. 

 

He winces as the memory of Sehun and his slap across the base of his skull comes to fore front of his mind, he deserved more that just the slap. Had every intention of rescinding his application for promotion, how could he possibly think he was worthy to be promoted when he almost broke one of the basic rules of being an officer. Thankfully his task force manager appeared only to pick up his walkie talkie, where he was ready to hand in his badge. His superior just patted his head gently before explaining that his punishment was to win the case, and if he didn't then they would talk about desk duty.

 

So instead of going home straight away, he stayed for a few hours and used the basic information provided to dig up a bit more on the gorgeous baker before him. Where he found out Byun Baekhyun is not just a bakery owner, oh no he's a prodigy one who came top of his class and has worked in some of Seoul's top hotel kitchens. Who could of been a world famous chef but instead decided to open a successful bakery rather then lead a full kitchen. He delved a little deeper and found nothing out of the ordinary aside from exceptional patisserie skills. Good schooling, supportive parents, no major debts and certainly no addictions or loans from loan sharks, nothing on the police database either, when means there isn't even a speeding ticket. The only glaringly obvious slight anyone would have would be the fact that this beautiful pixie is gay if anything can be interpreted in from those photos.

 

Something that makes his heart beat as he would before he opened his mouth yesterday, could feel that sweet tension between them. He can't wallow in his stupidity any more, he realises quite embarrassingly that he's practically zoned out and it's Sehun who is cautiously conversing with the beautiful pixie. He would normally puff his chest up at hearing that he's the lead officer in the case, but the mistrust still in those gorgeous eyes makes him wish the ground would swallow him whole.

 

He needs to snap out of those thoughts though, he has a job to do and if this beautiful clearly scared pixie, is only interested in keeping it professional then he will do it. Even if urge to protect to protect this one perfect man is strong,  he knows going all OTT officer  is just going to make this scared doe eyes boy pull away even more. "We thought it best to come and see if there was any advise we could give you in strengthening security here!"

 

Are the words he hears, but the fire directed to them at those words from both Baekhyun and the other man behind the counter, instantly makes him realise they will need to tread carefully whilst they are here. It's time to take back control of this conversation.

 

"Mr Byun, I appreciate that we are a lot earlier then you would like us to be, but I would like to talk to you more about the package you received in private if possible, my college Officer Oh in the meantime will try to blend in!"

 

"Officer Park, you two blending in will be like rain in the Sahara!"

 

"Mr Byun I promise we are not here to be a nuisance,  really would like to get whoever is behind that package, behind bars  but too do that we have to finish the questions from last night!"

 

"Fine, Jongdae  an you hold down the fort, I will be out the back!"

 

The words of thank you die on his lips as he watches Baekhyun flounce away like the pixie he is, his perky derrière swaying as he goes.  He tries really hard to ignore the simmer of arousal that explodes through his veins at the sheer perfection in front of him, shaking his head he jumps in to action and follows Baekhyun through the swinging grey doors. 

 

Hes surprised when he passes through the double half expected the kitchen to be bigger, not that he knows what a professional kitchen should look like. It's all silver aluminium appliances and spotless worktops, there's lingering smell too of freshly baked bread. A tiny little area of the kitchen is set up like all those influencers, tripods and that weird circular back light. Turning slightly to the left he sees an aluminium wire shelving unit filled with an assortment of dried  ingredients and spices, where he watches Baekhyun walk behind to the very back of the kitchen. All to an area slightly hidden by those floor to ceiling shelves. There he's sees smock of an office complete with modern iMac and a desk that's filled with various paper recipes a battered leather notebook, and a jar of half drank iced americano.

 

There's one thing that glaringly sticks out to him, there's very little in the way of security cameras in both the kitchen and the bakery. He also failed to see anything on the exterior of the bakery side, there also wasn't any safety guards to protect the bakery front. Thankfully he saw the sign for the bakery being cashless which would make this beautiful pixie less likely to be a target for money. "So officer Park what else do you need to know, I'm guessing as your here to ask more personal questions!"

 

"I am Mr Byun, I thought you would be a little more comfortable somewhere your familiar with!"

 

"Nothing is going to be comfortable about this Officer Park!"

 

"Mr Byun, I appreciate that we got off on the wrong foot last night, and that being personal is the last thing you want but for my team to solve this and get whomever is behind this, behind bars we are going to need to work together!"

 

Chanyeol is really trying to remain calm, and not use that condescending speak before thinking tone he used last night. He knows this beautiful pixie has every right to be mad at him, if this questioning doesn't go to plan then he will run this case in the shadows and leave Sehun and the other officers to it. 

 

"I haven't yet compiled the list of people making complaints, there's not really any repeat offenders save for one lady who is known to the shop!"

 

"Ok if you can get me her details we can run her through the system, is there anyone else that could be the culprit. Think about any messages of jealousy and negative comments aimed directly at you, anyone seen lingering around the shop as well!"

 

"I will go back through the feeds to see if any comments are personal, to be honest officer park nothing has screamed at me. As for people lingering me and the rest of the team are far to busy to notice what goes on outside the bakery. There are often lines out the door so most customers linger for a bit."

 

"I hate to ask this as it's a bit more personal, any trouble with anyone in your love life, if it's not a disgruntled customer, next obvious contender would be a disgruntled former flame!"

 

"I'm not yet 30 Officer Park I can assure you I've not been sowing wild oats, yes I have had intimate relations they have been mutually beneficial. There was only one date who seemed to give off a strange vibe but nothing really advanced between us"

 

He has to try really hard to ignore the flames of jealousy at hearing that this beautiful pixie has been intimate. He knows he has no right to think this man is al and that under those much better fitting clothes he can see broad shoulders, and a tiny waist. Byun Baekhyun is a beautiful man whom should have men falling at his feet. "Have you heard further from this man?"

 

"No and I've not seen him about either."

 

"Ok I will take his name please we can also run him through the system. After all we can never assume and it's better to be safe than sorry!"

 

"Kim Donghae, Mrs Beech is the customer who is most vocal with complaints but she does cost every other day to purchase pastries still!"

 

"Ok thank you for that inform now I've noticed you don't have a great deal of security cameras!"

 

"I've never really thought about it, we don't keep cash on site it's all electronic through encrypted software and nothing about the letters I have had is about money!"

 

"Do you have those letters here, If not please bring them in as I can enter them in to evidence and see if whoever this is has slipped up!"

 

He stops mid statement when he notices how pale the beautiful pixie before him has gotten, it's startling how fast it's happened like milk draining from a bottle. Then he notices how those beautiful normally fire filled eyes are  glassy and no longer focused. Alarmingly and possibly worse is that this beautiful pixie is starting to tremble. 

 

"Baekhyun!" Concern growing by the second when the call of his name goes completely unanswered. Chanyeol is an officer of the law he recognises this is a reaction to bad news and quickly whips around the kitchen for whatever could of triggered the man in front of him. He can't see any thing obvious as he scans the kitchen, he's almost completed his 360 scan of the area, until he catches a smudge of brown hanging from the back door. His heart starts thumping in his chest, and he can feel his blood rush to fill his heart with oxygen as that smudge of brown is identical the Manila envelope that sits on his desk. A sudden shadow beside him has him instantly turning in time to see Baekhyun trying to move towards it, but also wavering like someone who's about to collapse 

 

He's quick to grab on to the tinny man trembling against his arms, as he not so quietly barks out a command of "no don't touch it" in to the hair of the man falling in to his chest, he winces at the gasp over his tone but he doesn't have time to apologise as the trembling pixie in his arms looses the fight with his adrenaline and forcing then to the ground that only his quick reflexes manage to soften Baekhyun's fall. 

 

He manages to catch the man in his arms, just as Sehun and the other man rush in to the kitchen, He doesn't hesitate and furthe4 barks out "close the bakery, and call the precinct, Baekhyun's had another letter!"

 

 

To be continued 

 

Hello my lovelies, 

Yes I know so cruel to leave it, stay tuned for the next update I promise it won't be 6 months apart again 

Ohh this is starting to get juicy with both our pixie and Officer divkward, and with the stalker are you already for what's coming? I know I am and can't wait for the ride ahead.

Please as always let me know what you think, I hope I'm delivering something original

 

❤️❤️❤️❤️