Home

One Fine Day (in Japan)

Joshua slowly opened his eyes, a grey cloud peaked through his window, illuminating a dim color in his room. It was still bright enough to awaken him. His head ached again. . He should really control his drinking. The only reason he did it was to forget about all his problems and just allowed the alcohol to take over him. Sometimes it wasn't enough. His room was empty however, the bed he was sleeping in felt empty. Except for his body curled up under the sheets, they were so warm. He felt enveloped by them, almost as if they were home, he couldn't describe it. When the man realizes that he is only occupying the bed, he remembers the events of last night, how he kissed Seokmin, and how Seokmin kissed him back. The latter's lips were so soft, so warm—he wanted them again—he felt so crazy for thinking this way. Joshua barely knew the other man. He was just a hotel worker to him and everyone else.

Interrupting his thoughts was the sound of his phone ringing loudly. Groaning, Joshua reaches for it and looks at the screen to see who was ringing him this early. Of course, it was Soonyoung.

"Hey," He greets very tiredly.

"Hey, did you make it back safe?" His friend asks, getting straight to the point. "Seokmin brought you back, didn't he?"

Joshua was dreading answering these questions. "I'm fine," He rolls onto his back and rubs his eyes, "I have a headache."

"No , Sherlock. You drank and allowed a handsome stranger to take you home," Soonyoung says pointedly. "You two do anything?" Joshua can hear the eyebrow wiggle through the phone.

"No, we didn't," The older man frowns, "Nothing happened."

"Promise that's the truth?"

"Please shut up. I have a little hangover," Joshua whines. He stares up at the ceiling, unsure of what he was going to do that day. He was waiting for a call from his parents, demanding he get in their room to spend time with them and his siblings. This was a family trip after all. He wasn't really making use of spending time with them though, not like he ever wanted to. Soonyoung eventually says his goodbyes and hangs up, leaving Joshua alone with his thoughts; he pulls the covers over his face. Allowing himself to hide in the dark sheets, he shuts his eyes, telling himself to try and get more sleep—he really needs it. Yet, he's thinking about Seokmin again, how beautiful his face was, how perfect he seemed, he wanted him. Goodness, why was he thinking this way? He just wanted to sleep.

He did until he got another phone call. This time, it was his parents, telling him to get ready, as they were all going to be out in the city again. He was dreading this yet again. Nonetheless, the man gets himself together, trying to make himself seem ready and energetic for the day ahead when in fact he wasn't.

There was a knock at the door. It made Joshua stop in his tracks, halting the process of getting ready. The man hesitantly approaches the door, checking the peephole first, it was Seokmin. This prompted Joshua to quickly swing the door open. The hotel worker stares back at him with wide eyes, not expecting this sort of reaction.

"Good morning to you then," He greets, giving one of his signature, bright smiles. "How are we feeling?"

"I'm okay," Joshua muttered, lazily leaning in the doorframe. "Slept in some. My parents are having me go out with them."

"Ah, I see."

"Nothing too exciting."

There was some silence. Neither of them wanted to talk about the elephant in the room, but, they also wanted to talk about it more. Be with each other longer, make up for all the lost time they could have used together; make use of the tension that had been looming since they had met. But in the end, it was impossible, Joshua was just going to go back to Korea and Seokmin would forget about him.

"Ah, so," Seokmin begins, his mouth a little dry from how nervous he was getting. "Would you want to go out sometime? Together?"

"Tomorrow is Christmas Eve," Joshua says in a soft tone, "Won't you be needed to help out?"

"I'm getting some time off, silly," The other man lets out a light chuckle, "Why would they make us work during the holidays? Besides, I would like to spend it with you."

This made Joshua blush, he didn't know what to say. But, he enjoys the idea of going out with Seokmin. It makes his heart flutter. "I would like that too," He says, a smile starting to form across his cheeks. 

"That's good," Seokmin says and returns a soft smile to Joshua, "Just let me know when you return from your family outing. You still need to get me that Christmas present."

Oh. That's right. Joshua promised him some time ago, he should really keep up with those. "You are so right," Was all he managed to spit out before he felt his phone buzz, meaning it was his parents asking him to come and meet them in the lobby. The men nod and part ways, the thought that Joshua might see Seokmin later that evening continuously lingering. What he would do to get under that man's skin. But he told himself to not think that as he was out with family.

 


 

Joshua kept a smile on his face the whole day, for his parent's sake—for the sake of them not breathing down his neck for once. He only kept it plastered across his cheeks because he was thinking about Seokmin, it was keeping him together throughout this horrible outing. He felt like a teenager again. It was a little embarrassing, yet freeing. Of course, his parents were in awe at his lack of complaining that day, any comment about the cold weather did not escape his lips. However, they were proud their oldest son was taking charge for once, this is what they expected of him after all. Joshua was also taking the time to peek his head into the gift shops, wondering what he should get for Seokmin, even though they were going out tonight, he wanted to at least get an idea first.

God, he forgot how annoying buying gifts for people was.

Nonetheless, the family arrived back at the hotel, first, they had to attend dinner. Joshua was constantly checking his watch, he didn't want to leave Seokmin hanging. He was worried that it would be too late by the time dinner was over. He hated getting anxious, but he was trying to excuse himself early by lying and saying he was exhausted. Surprisingly, the lie worked on his parents, so he escaped back to his room. He took the time to change out of his clothes and put on ones that were more appropriate for a date, he FaceTimed Jeonghan for advice.

"Wow," The older man said, "You look hot."

"You're embarrassing me," Joshua whines. He was adjusting his brown belt, making sure it fits nicely across his waist.

"Then stop calling me for your honest opinion," Jeonghan rebutted in a sassy manner, "I'm serious, you look good though. How are things going with you and Seokmin?"

Joshua sighed quietly and picked his phone back up, he brought them to his bed so he could lie down after a long day. "We kissed last night."

"WHAT?"

"But I was drunk, hyung," Joshua cringed in thought, "It's a weird feeling. I've never felt so, like, enamored with someone before."

Jeonghan lets out a chuckle upon hearing this, "Joshua Hong experiences attraction for the first time."

" you," The younger man rolls his eyes, "I know what romantic and ual attraction feels like. I would expect my best friend to give me more advice, yanno."

"You of all people should know I love messing with you," The latter sticks his tongue out teasingly, but it's done lovingly. "So what are you two gonna do tonight?"

"I don't know!" Joshua exclaims, clearly exasperated. "I just want to spend time with him. I feel...so relaxed when we're together," He stays quiet to collect his thoughts. "I don't know what it is, hyung."

Jeonghan remains quiet for a moment, collecting his thoughts, "I guess this is the first time you've felt something since that girl you dated in freshman year." Upon hearing this, Joshua perks up, as if he had forgotten about his first year of college.

"I don't think I've thought about Jihyo in that long," Is all he was able to mutter, it made him feel so dull. "That was so long ago, Jeonghan."

"I know," The elder says, "Don't deny the fact that she left a mark on you."

"That's not true, hyung."

There was a light knock at the door, startling Joshua, it left the call silent. "I'll have to call you back," The younger man says and proceeds to hang up. He heads to the door and peaks through the little hole.

It was Seokmin. The man proceeds to swing the door open.

"Joshua!" The man beams towards the latter, "Hello! How was your day, sir?"

The aforementioned man can't help but smile. "Well, it's better now that I get to see you."

"Oh, don't make me blush," Seokmin replies, letting out a chuckle.

"What did you wanna do this evening?" Joshua asks. He can't help but be so curious.

The hotel worker hums and slightly shrugs, "I know it's a little cold out there, but let's go out for a drink."

"A drink?"

"Yes."

The two leave the hotel, realizing that staying at the hotel bar might not be the best idea—so they take to the streets. The neighborhood was filled with joy and happy spirits, it brought a grin to Joshua's face. The bar they chose was not too far away from the hotel and had a handful of patrons coming together in the name of Christmas. This brought warmth to the two men's hearts.

They approach the bar and place an order for two beverages. As they wait, they make small talk.

"How is your Christmas Eve going so far?" Seokmin asks.

"It's been alright," Joshua replies. "Spent it out with my family, a little bit dreadful, but I tolerated it."

The other man chuckles, "Why do you hate your family so much, Jisoo?"

The bartender hands the men their beers, Joshua places some bills on the table and lets him know to keep the change. They then find a seat somewhere in the bar where the two of them could just sit and talk. 

"I don't hate them," Joshua finally answers. "I suppose I can't stand them. I'm the older brother, I kinda raised all my younger siblings. I just want to be away from them, I can't stand this life that they're living. It's just this lap of luxury and what's it all for?" The man exhales after spilling so much emotional damage and sips his beer. He realizes that his problems are first-world and he acknowledges the privilege he comes from, but perhaps this was the first time all of his issues were put into perspective. Maybe he just needed to grow up. Why is he still acting like a baby?

Seokmin hums and his lips, tasting the leftover beer. "Sounds like you just suffer from elder child syndrome," He says with a soft chuckle. "I don't blame you, though." Joshua looks at him quietly and sighs into his cup, he sounds so pathetic. He sips his beverage, now contemplating every single life decision he has made up until now.

"I'm sorry," He mutters. But he is still determining why he's apologizing.

This catches Seokmin off-guard, "Sorry for what? Having complicated feelings about your family?"

"No- well, yes. But also no-"

This makes the younger man laugh. "You're so cute when you're flustered."

"Shut up! I am not," Joshua nudges the latter. "You're cuter," He mutters into his glass.

"What was that now?" Seokmin asks in his best fake-oblivious tone.

"Nothing."

The other man chuckles and returns the nudge. They sit in silence, sipping their beers. Joshua musters up the courage to reach into his pocket and pull out the Christmas gift Seokmin was anticipating.

"So.." He begins, which is not a great start to giving a stranger a Christmas gift by the way. "I had a hard time figuring out what to get you for Christmas. I went to so many stores to figure out the right gift, I don't know why I struggled with it. However, I had an epiphany. So I thought that you would want something with a lot of meaning."

Seokmin was unsure where Joshua was going with this (so was Joshua).

The elder placed a small box on the table and slid it toward Seokmin.

"Sir," He raised his brow and gave the other man a concerning look. "You really didn't have to." He attempts to slide the box toward Joshua.

"No, but I insist," Joshua replies, sliding back the box. This was so clique of them.

Seokmin surrenders and accepts the gift eventually. He pries open the box to find a soft, grey bag inside, causing him to give Joshua another look.

"Just open it," The man chuckles.

The hotel worker rolls his eyes and carefully unties the little bag, reaching his hand to see what is inside. He pulls out a necklace with a Christmas tree pendant. Simple, yet cute. But it also doesn't look cheap.

"Please don't tell me you spent a fortune on this?" He asks the older man.

"Well, define a fortune," Joshua replies.

"Sir."

"I said you could call me Joshua."

The two stare at each other intensely, without any apprehension though. They play it off with a smile.

"Look, I wanted to get you something nice and I thought a little pendant would be nice," Joshua answered softly.

"It's rather lovely," Seokmin replied and attempted to put it on.

"Ah, let me help you," Joshua smiles and reaches around the other man to make sure the chain is secure around Seokmin's neck. It makes him look a little regal. "I like the way it looks on you."

The hotel worker humbly smiles and nods, "Thank you. I'll think of you every time I look at this."

Hearing this made the older man flustered, he didn't know how to respond as his cheeks got red. So he did what he knew best: hiding his face in his beer glass. It almost felt embarrassing.

Watching this made Seokmin chuckle, "You are so cute, you know?" 

Joshua stays silent out of mortification.

Seokmin continues, "I'm surprised someone like you—you know someone with a background like yours—would take an interest in somebody like me." He takes a sip of his beer and sighs. "I deal with big, rich families all the time at the hotel. They're ruthless people, a lot of the time either putting more interest in themselves or living vicariously through their children. Yet, when I met you, I was intrigued that you wanted to break that cycle. I admire that, Joshua."

The aforementioned man stares shyly at Seokmin, almost at a loss for words. It's like they were taken from his mouth, every single one, fading away as if the autumn leaves were falling off the trees to prepare for winter. Perhaps Joshua's heart has always been too cold. Seokmin was thawing his frigid heart.

Perhaps that's what Christmas miracles were for.