sober

i wish you were sober

Uh, this is not an on-going fic. I just wanted to add some more.

 


 

 

“You know what, I won’t even ask what or how this happened. What I want you to do is sign these and for the two of you to lay low,”


 

Sooyoung blinked as she looked at the paper on her coffee table, the small blonde woman barking orders at her and a docile-looking Seungwan–err-Wendy looking out of place sitting on the floor by her table of her messy living room.


 

“What?” Sooyoung asked dumbly.


 

The small fiesty woman exhaled audibly as she ran her hand through her hair, “Look, Seungwan and I have a pretty chill agreement about me handling her career. But the stunt the two of you pulled last night is such a ing PR nightmare I know I will be cleaning it up for weeks, maybe even months to come,” Sooyoung have no idea what this woman is saying but she nodded as if she does. “So I want you to sign those papers, and I’m not asking.”


 

Sooyoung’s eyes turned to the soloist who looked like a kid that just got reprimanded by her mother. In a way, she probably is.


 

“And shouldn’t I know what these are?”


 

“Those are NDAs.”


 

“NDAs? As in–”


 

“Non-disclosure agreements. I need you two to stay quiet about your relationship..at least for the meantime.”


 

“Rela–what!?” Sooyoung exclaimed, hands slamming on the table, eyes turning towards the singer who suddenly stood up, interrupting her.


 

“Taeyeon-unnie,” the singer called, “May I talk to Sooyoung in private for a minute?”


 

Said Taeyeon-unnie looked skeptical but Seungwan–Wendy looked at her pleadingly before she sighed yet again and stood up to walk out of the unit.


 

There was a brief silence and awkward eye contact before Sooyoung can’t take it anymore, “What the is that woman saying? Relationship?!” she exclaimed, standing up to sit on the couch instead, her hands on her hair, “No offense, but I don’t even ing know you, Seungwan-ssi,” she says eyeing the other woman sharply.


 

Seungwan had the decency to look sheepish, “Okay, that’s my bad,” she says, “But technically, I didn’t lie, my name is Seungwan. Wendy is a stage name,” she admitted as she sat on the couch across Sooyoung.


 

Glaring at the singer, Sooyoung muttered, “Smartass,”


 

“Anyway, I’m so, so sorry, Sooyoung with an S and a Y,” Seungwan grinned, making Sooyoung glare at her some more, “But the Tiktok video is such a mess, Taeyeon-unnie was so pissed and I had to pacify her,”


 

“By ‘pacify her’, you mean you told her we ed, or we are ing? Are you ing kidding me?” Sooyoung is pissed and the headache from the hangover is not helping her.


 

Technically, yes, that’s the idea she got, and I’m sorry, I really am!” Seungwan says.


 

“One more time you say ‘technically’ to me, I will punch you in the face.”


 

Seungwan looked amused but she shook it away, “Look, if I told Unnie what really happened, I’m sure she’d accuse you of many things. Using me for clout, plotting to blackmail me, hell, probably stealing from me. And I’m pretty sure she was one call away from suing you for it, too.”


 

“Wait, what?”


 

“Please don’t punch me in the face but technically I am not out of the closet yet,” Seungwan says looking at her pensively, “Unnie and I had an agreement to keep that out of the public at least until I get more stable in the industry,”

 

“Uh, , I’m sorry,”


 

Seungwan waved a hand, “It’s fine, it’s not like there weren't any rumors before.” she says nonchalantly, “Besides, Unnie thinks she can still salvage it. And I believe in her,”


 

There was an awkward silence and Sooyoung almost forgot her hangover with the sudden guilt in , “Look, I really didn’t mean for that to happen, I was just so–”


 

“--drunk last night? Yeah, I was -faced too,” Seungwan finished with a grin and gosh, Sooyoung got reminded why she was eating faces with this woman last night. “It’s fine, really. I don’t really care much about it, it’s just this is important to Unnie. Long story short, she’s my mentor and she’s an amazing singer, she had her chance to fame but once her preferences were known, opportunities stopped coming,” she said with a melancholic look, “When she met me, I think she kinda projected her dreams and aspirations towards me. Mostly, I’m thankful for that but sometimes..”


 

“--it can be suffocating?” Sooyoung guessed.


 

Blushing a bit, Seungwan nodded, “Yeah, but I don’t wanna sound ungrateful. She just does what she knows is the best for me.”


 

Another round of silence.


 

“So what does this mean for me?” Sooyoung asked.


 

There was a pause before Seungwan spoke, “I don’t know, I’m sorry, Sooyoung. You can sign the NDAs and forget about everything since technically, that’s what unnie asked us to ‘lay low’, but..”


 

“But what?”


 

“..well, that won’t erase your problem about that video going around,”


 

“Oh,” Sooyoung says dumbly. Right, she almost forgot that this would affect her life as well. She also forgot that she is also technically not out of the closet. She shook her head annoyed at the fact she is hearing herself say ‘technically’.


 

“Or,” Seungwan’s voice made Sooyoung turn her attention back to her.


 

“Or what?’


 

“Or you could be my friend for real,” Seungwan finished making Sooyoung frown in confusion, “Well, we could hang out as friends in public to make it all seem like a bad misunderstanding between platonic relationships.”


 

Sooyoung snorted. “Why’d you say platonic like that,”


 

“Like what?”


 

“Like..I don’t know, your nostrils got bigger saying it,” Sooyoung laughed.


 

This made Seungwan laugh too. “You can’t blame me, it’s so weird saying or even thinking of being friends after last night,”


 

Despite the heat she felt on her face and on her ear, Sooyoung grinned at Seungwan, “You mean how you proved that your mouth ain’t just good for singing?” Seungwan had a playful smile on her face but then turned serious, “Hey what’s wrong?”


 

“I..” Seungwan trailed off, “I was drunk last night but I think I actually do like you. You’re funny and nice to talk to,”


 

Sooyoung felt her heart race but there’s also alarm bells going off of her head. “You met drunk me last night, I think that has a different criteria,”


 

It was unfair how Seungwan’s laugh sounds melodic, “I’ve only met sober Sooyoung with an S and a Y for a few minutes and I think she’s funny, and I still think I like her,” she says standing up to sit next to her on the couch.

 

“You do?”


 

Seungwan has that attractive grin in place and Sooyoung just wanted to pull her and kiss her again.


 

“And I think I’d like to get to know her more to find more things to like about her.” Seungwan says moving closer to her.


 

Sooyoung felt like she was free falling but she liked the danger and thrill of venturing into the unknown. Maybe this is what her friends meant when they say that she hasn't seen much of her youth or life.


 

For God’s sake, she’s 23 and can’t decide if she’s infatuated or just confused.


 

Of all the things that are confusing right now, maybe it’s time for her to stop thinking and planning about everything and just dive in and live with the consequences later–just like any other young person her age.


 

Deciding to stop thinking and overthinking, Sooyoung pulled Seungwan’s nape.


 

With the same feeling of her heart hammering, the butterflies in her stomach and her head in the clouds, Sooyoung can’t seem to find how this sober kiss differs from the drunken kiss last night.


 

Sooyoung may not be drunk kissing Seungwan in this fine morning but she felt might as well be.