tipsy

i wish you were sober

I only reread one time so bear with the mistakes.

 

---

 

 

“Today is her official first day!”

 

 

Sooyoung wanted to run away hearing Jennie's answer when the bouncer stopped her, asking for an ID at the entrance of the exclusive club they were about to go in.

 

 

“She’s a year late since she's already 22 today and she will be celebrating here!” Nayeon shared unnecessarily to the unimpressed bouncer. “Show her your ID, Soo,”

 

 

Trying to hide her face in embarrassment, Sooyoung presented her ID showing her birthday. The bouncer shrugged and moved the obstruction to let them in.

 

 

“Okay,” the bouncer said mechanically, “Regular booths for four new patrons,” he called to some staff inside.

 

 

“Let’s go!” Nayeon exclaimed as Sooyoung felt the girl pull her arm, dragging her into the entrance.

 

 

“So what do you want to do first?” 

“What drink do you wanna try first?” 

"We better heat up the dance floor!"

 

 

Sooyoung looked at Nayeon, Sana and Jennie who fired the questions as soon as they sat in an open booth.

 

 

Is this what peer pressure feels like? Sooyoung asked herself as she looked at her friends.

 

 

All her life, Sooyoung had always been the unnie. She has three younger sisters and she's very accustomed to taking care of them. That's why she felt a little culture shock when she entered SNU. She joined a club and befriended this senior student Joohyun who oddly took a liking to her and introduced her to her equally odd bunch of friends: Yongsun who is easygoing but can be very strict. Jisoo, who seemed to be quiet but also an oddball. And these three: Nayeon, Sana and Jennie who are the ones who had interest in partying among the others. They're all so different but they weirdly fit together. The common denominator of the six of them is them having different points of being a mom-friend.

 

 

Sooyoung naturally blend into this group and she feels like she's unofficially been declared as their group's maknae. She tried to defend that she is older than Sana but instantly debunked when Sana insisted on her “life experiences”—night outs, drinking, out of town trips, etc.

 

 

“Um, let’s order drinks?”

 

 

Though feeling unsure, the proud smiles they gave her made her smile, too.

 

 

[Two hours later]

 

 

Sooyoung is feeling a bit tipsy as she made her way out of the bathroom for the third time in the last hour. Alcoholic drinks make your bladder full, she woozily noted to herself.

 

 

Oof,” Sooyoung heard as she bumped into someone. “Hey, careful there, girlie,” she looked up and saw the most gorgeous woman she had ever laid her eyes on. Short brown hair, softest brown eyes and cute pink lips. She looks familiar, she thinks hazily as she continues to stare. “Hey, are you okay?” the girl asked some more, snapping her fingers in front of her.

 

 

 

That’s when the drunken Sooyoung realized she hadn't said anything at all, “Y-yeah, I’m okay. Just a little dizzy,”

 

 

The woman blinked and a brush of worry passed her face, “Do you want to sit down?” she asked. “My booth is just here,” the woman motioned to the door a few steps away from there. Sooyoung looked past the woman to their open empty booth across the hall. This is probably not safe but she suddenly felt tired and somehow believed it was too long to walk there, so she nodded.

 

 

When they entered the private booth, Sooyoung was surprised to see an empty room. The absence of things other than one shoulder bag made her ask, “You got a booth for yourself? Where are your friends?” as she pulled off her blazer and placed it behind the couch, not realizing how rude that sounded.

 

 

The woman chuckled, “Bold of you to assume I have friends,” the woman said with a gorgeous smirk.

 

 

Confused and dizzy, Sooyoung tilted her head, “You’re too pretty not to have friends,” she said with a pout. “I’ll be your friend,” she offered.

 

 

 

A full look of amusement is now present on the woman’s face, “You’re cute,”

 

 

She shook her head, “No,” she said, still pouting, “I’m Sooyoung.” she added, “..with an S and a Y,” she said as an afterthought.

 

 

A musical laugh was heard from the pretty lady. “Adorable,” she heard the woman say, “Hi, Sooyoung, nice to meet you, I’m Seungwan,” the gorgeous woman said as she took a glass of water on the table, “Here drink this,”

 

 

Two glasses of water later, Sooyoung felt her head a little clearer as the impact of her unfiltered behavior earlier started to sink in.

 

 

“Um, I think I should go.” she started to say, taking her blazer from the couch, “My friends are probably looking for me,” she added, and it might be the alcohol in her system but she thought a fraction of regret flashed through Seungwan’s face.

 

 

 

Nevertheless, Seungwan shrugged with a dazzling smile and nodded her head.

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung is now back on their booth but she’s still thinking of the girl she met earlier. That Seungwan girl looks familiar, she kept thinking, she must’ve seen her somewhere but she still can’t put her finger on it.

 

 

“Hey, stop sitting and start dancing!” Nayeon suddenly said, pulling her off the booth.

 

 

When she came back earlier, she sobered up a bit and recalling how embarrassing her behavior was earlier, she decided not to drink anymore.

 

 

“If you’re not drinking, at least get tipsy,” Sana said, putting a glass in front of her, “Here, a lady’s drink. It’s not a hard drink so you won’t get drunk,”

 

 

“Try it, it’s fruity,” Jennie said with a smile.

 

 

Here it is again, the peer pressure, Sooyoung thought to herself. Oh, frack it, she thought as she grabbed the tall glass and tasted the fruity flavor Jennie is talking about. 

 

 

“I like this better,” she decided.

 

 

 

Though the lady’s drinks tasted better than the hard drinks, Sooyoung learned that it still makes her bladder full. So a few minutes later, she is once again walking her way to the bathroom.

 

 

While in front of the mirror and tidying up her appearance, Sooyoung realizes that once again, she's tipsy and not sober anymore. She knew this because she felt like everything was spinning and she felt like laughing so loud just for no reason.

 

 

However, that didn't stop her from gulping her five straight shot when she came back to their booth. Sooyoung yelled, “Whooo!” as she turned to Nayeon who still had 2 shots left and the girl looked ready to throw up, “I won!” she declared proudly.

 

 

Tonight, Sooyoung learned that she has a higher tolerance for alcohol compared to her seasoned drinker friends. She just beat Nayeon on the 5-shot challenge and she’s very proud of that.

 

 

Sana clapped her hand twice, “That’s enough, we all should go home now,”

 

 

Sooyoung eyes turned to Jennie who she was hoping to decline the offer, but Jennie looked slightly apologetic as she answered “She's right, Soo,” said the girl, looking at her phone, “I already texted Jisoo to pick us up,” she declared.

 

 

Whaaat?” Sooyoung whined, slurred. An overwhelming feeling of wanting to throw a tantrum engulfed her. At the back of her head, she knew she was being childish and difficult but she still wanted to stay. “Whyyyyy?” she asked, dragging her syllable.

 

 

Her two friends chuckle, “Soo, you’re drunk,” Jennie stated simply.

 

 

Noooooo,” she answered, “I’m not drunk!”

 

 

“Fine, you’re not drunk,” Sana started to say, “..but Nayeon is,” she added motioning to their almost passed out friend, “So can we please take her home?”

 

 

“Can’t we stay a little longer?” Sooyoung pouted.

 

 

A look of amusement was dancing on her friends’ face.

 

 

“Well, I just texted Jisoo like a few minutes ago, so maybe we still have a few more minutes before she arrives?" Jennie said. She had an inkling that her friend was making fun of her.

 

 

“Fine, I’ll be on the dance floor until Jisoo-unnie arrives,” Sooyoung declared, standing up.

 

 

“Be quick, Soo!"

 

 

Not looking back, Sooyoung waved her hand lazily, she was feeling a bit annoyed with her killjoy friends. Man, this is liberating, she thought as she moved her body to the music.

 

 

The music wasn’t even slowing down when she felt someone dance behind her, she turned to see a guy smiling at her. She decided that he looks decent, so she turned her body towards him and allowed herself to dance with him but she saw to it that she put distance between them.

 

 

The guy started to move his head towards her ear and she heard him say, “Hey, I’m Sehun,” Sooyoung's drunken ears thought it was funny how he made his voice sound lower which made her chuckle.

 

 

This seems to offend Sehun because he is now frowning at her. “What the is funny?”

 

 

There is still a remnant of her amusement when she looked at his fuming face—which again, she thought made things funnier. “I’m sorry,” she said, not sounding a bit sorry. “But it’s a ‘no’ from me,”

 

 

“What did you just say?!” this time, this Sehun guy looked highly offended and Sooyoung knew at the back of her mind that she is probably in a dangerous situation—the guy looked well off and privileged—but the look on the guy’s face was really tickling her. It’s not her fault that he looks like a standard jerk and everything is really funny.

 

 

Adrenaline rushed through her seeing some other guys about to approach them—probably Sehun’s lackeys—she laughed at how weird this situation is and felt like she was in a movie or something. She laughed before she started to sprint away, yelling, “I don’t swing that way,” she laughed some more thinking how easy it was to say that when she's drunk and laughed even harder seeing the look on Sehun’s face.

 

 

It was probably luck that the crowd was flowing her way, so Sooyoung easily walked past some but the boys tailing her were not as lucky, so she easily lost them. Looking back at the boys, she was tempted to stick her tongue out, so she did. She was still running, loving the rush of adrenaline that she didn’t notice she was about to bump into someone.

 

 

The inertia was so strong that both of them fell onto the floor.

 

 

“Ouch,” she heard the person underneath her say.

 

 

“I’m so—“ Sooyoung started to say but then the person interrupted her.

 

 

“—Sooyoung with an S and a Y!” the remark surprised Sooyoung and realized that it's the same girl she met earlier, Seungwan, looking at her with the most amused smile.

 

 

“Where is she?”

 

 

Sooyoung became alert hearing a man's voice from behind, and she noticed the confused look Seungwan gave her, “We have to hide,” she said seriously leaning her face (too) close. 

 

 

Seungwan was about to open when the younger girls’ eyes focused on something behind her.

 

 

“There she is!”

 

 

The birthday girl turned around confirming that it's indeed the guys chasing after her, struggling to get off the wild dancing crowd.

 

 

“What—“ Seungwan started to say but Sooyoung grabbed her arm, pulling her to stand up.

 

 

“Come on!” she started to run towards the kind-of familiar hallway (still pulling the pretty girl) to the private booth.

 

 

When they stumbled into the room, Seungwan turned to her, with a confused face, “What,” she started, catching her breath, “What are you doing with Sehun’s lackeys?”

 

 

Sooyoung got her back on Seungwan as she was closing the door, the question made her turn to the girl quickly as she blinked, “Wait, you know those guys?”

 

 

Seungwan shook her head no before starting to say, “I don’t know them, but I know Sehun,”

 

 

This made Sooyoung look at Seungwan, then without a word moved her head closer, “You look really familiar,” she said instead.

 

 

Suddenly self-conscious, Seungwan turned her head away from her. “Well, I guess I have one of those faces,” she responded, looking everywhere except Sooyoung's general direction.

 

 

Shaking her head, Sooyoung pulled Seungwan’s shirt to make her look at her, “I think I would remember seeing a beautiful face like yours,”

 

 

This made Seungwan shake her head, “You’re a flatterer,” she said, “Let’s just drink, okay?”

 

 

 

 

An hour later, Seungwan and Sooyoung downed two bottles of red wine, a bottle of champagne and a little over a dozen of random shots, lackeys and friends forgotten.

 

 

“So, I think we drank too much together for you not to tell me why a pretty girl like you is drinking here alone?” Sooyoung asked with her drunk and loose tongue. 

 

 

Seungwan exhaled before grinning at her, “You’re a smooth talker, are you flirting with me?”

 

 

This made the other woman smile, “Is it working?”

 

 

Hearing this, Seungwan looked at her, slightly laughing, “Are you serious? Because I’m drunk, you’re really pretty and I actually like you that I might flirt back,” 

 

 

Sooyoung's eyes shined dangerously, “I wouldn’t mind that,” she said leaning closer to the other girl.

 

 

Smirking, Seungwan leaned her head closer, intending to tease Sooyoung, but the other girl didn’t deter.

 

 

In fact, Sooyoung even leaned a little closer then her eyes looked down to Seungwan's lips..

 

 

That's when Seungwan lost all her self control. She leaned her head closer, meeting Sooyoung’s fuller lips and hazily thought it tasted like strawberries. They both pulled away breathing heavily before looking at each other’s eyes and then came in for another kiss.

 

 

From the first kiss, Seungwan thought Sooyoung’s lips felt a little dry so she hazily thought to quickly run her tongue over the slightly cracked lips but was surprised when the other woman opened and gave her entrance.

 

 

Both girls were out of breath when the second kiss ended.

 

 

Then suddenly remembering something, Sooyoung moved her head closer to Seungwan’s once more. “You really, really look familiar,” she said, “Are you a celebrity?”

 

 

With a slight blush, Seungwan smiled at her, “You know what, Sooyoung with an S and a Y, I think you’re drunk,”

 

 

Once upon a time, Sooyoung thought drunk people are annoying for always saying they’re not drunk when they’re obviously are, but right now, she knew she was out of it because of the alcohol and still she shook her head no denying Seungwan’s accusation.

 

 

This, not surprisingly made her head spin some more and the next thing she felt was nausea. Although she had half a mind to turn away from Seungwan, another half of her mind was out of it so she turned her head towards her lap and threw up there.

 

 

Ugh,” she said, using her hand to wipe . “That’s disgusting,”

 

 

Seungwan chuckled, “You’re a mess,” she said as she turned to grab something from her bag.

 

 

Smelling the foul odor, Sooyoung suddenly pulled off her blazer, “Ugh,” and now she’s pulling her blouse just as hastily.

 

 

When Seungwan turned to the girl, she almost jumped, seeing the girl pulling off her blouse. “Hey! What are you doing, Sooyoung?”

 

 

The girl peeked at her through an eyelet on her blouse. “It’s smelly..I’m smelly,” she complained.

 

 

Seungwan can’t help but chuckle on how cute the girl in front of her is. Then the next thing she knew Sooyoung was throwing up again, this time, some got on her. She wanted to complain but looking at how adorably drunk the younger girl is, she can only shake her head as she stood up to get some tissue.

 

 

When Seungwan turned back to Sooyoung, she was surprised that the other was already sleeping soundly, with the loud music and smelly vomit in the air. Looking at the awkward position with an arm off the blouse but the other hand and her head was still in it, she shook her head once more.

 

 

“What do I do with this girl?” Seungwan wondered to herself, pulling off her blouse leaving the thin undershirt, a white tank top, on. She didn’t want to just leave the girl in here but she’s also hesitating if she could bring her to her home.

 

 

Unconsciously, Seungwan checked for the time. It was only past 12am. Maybe she can wait a little before waking up the girl. She wasn’t sure what to do while waiting but suddenly the foul odor of vomit bothered her. 

 

 

Feeling like she can't take the smell, Seungwan decided to get some fresh clothes from her car.

 

...

 

Opening her car, she pulled some clothes for the drunken girl back at her booth, too. Since she only got some vomit on her jacket, she decided to just pull it off and put on another one before going back to the bar.

 

 

When she entered the bar again, armed with a few clothes for Sooyoung, she was greeted by her best friend, Seulgi, who owns the bar. “Wannie!”

 

 

Seungwan can immediately tell her friend was tipsy. “Seul,” she called. “Why’re you still here? ..and drunk? Are you okay?” 

 

 

Although Seulgi owns a bar, she rarely sees her friend get drunk. Aside from the fact that her best friend tends to avoid liquor in general (a bit ironic), the bar also practically runs itself and her friend is usually in a hurry to go home, therefore this is a weird case.

 

 

Drunk? I’m not drunk,”

 

 

Shaking her head, Seungwan immediately walked to her friend and guided her to sit on one of the empty open booths.

 

 

“Hey, did you and Rosé have a fight?” she asked a bit worriedly.

 

 

Rosé is Seulgi’s..partner. They own this business together and they’re in a complicated not-relationship.

 

 

Her question made Seulgi chuckle cynically, she motioned to one of her employees as she answered, “We’re fine,”

 

 

Unconvinced, Seungwan just looked at Seulgi dryly, “I know you like Rosé, and I like her too, but sometimes, I want to bag that girl and throw her into a river,”

 

 

 

 

There was a stinky smell when Sooyoung woke up in the quite-familiar room, she was alone. She roamed her eyes around the room, and saw a bag that was not hers and some other article of clothing, she was convinced that Seungwan just stepped out for a while.

 

 

After she completely pull off her smelly blouse (finally) Sooyoung was on her undershirt, a white tank top and was about to grab a shirt when she noticed something across the table. Seungwan must’ve just stepped out since she left her phone in here. She reached for the phone just as the ringing stopped. 

 

 

Tilting her head she caught the lockscreen displaying that there are 37 missed calls from 4 different contacts. Still with her inhibitions out of grasp, Sooyoung grabbed the phone and slid the lock screen. She was mildly surprised that it doesn’t have any security.

 

 

Feeling an ounce of guilt, she turned her head to the door objectively mortified with her own compulsion to tinker with a virtually stranger's phone. Sooyoung tried to brush the guilt aside telling herself that she won’t be reading private messages, she only plans to see the girl’s gallery and some stuff.

 

 

However, seeing one app she easily became distracted. She snickered to herself thinking of what little she knows about Seungwan and seeing a certain app on her phone.

 

 

In the short time they spent together (more than half with them being drunk), she didn’t peg Seungwan to be a TikTok user. She snickered again as she opened up the app. She scrolled a few minutes before she itched to create one.

 

 

She had been recording for just a few seconds when she realized she didn't know how to use the app. She tried to edit it to make it cooler but damn, she still thought the video felt dorky.

 

 

Her finger was about to tap the delete video when she heard the door open and immediately tried to casually hide the phone.

 

 

“Oh good, you’re awake,” she looked up and saw Seungwan by the door smiling, handing her a piece of clothing, “Ready to go home?”

 

 

Trying to brush off the slight guilt for snooping around, Sooyoung smiled nodding her head, “Yes please,”

 

 

What Sooyoung didn’t realize is that she accidentally clicked the “post” button.

 

 

***

 

 

The next morning, Sooyoung’s sleep was disrupted because of the loud ringing of her phone. She tried to ignore it but as soon as it stopped ringing, it rang again.

 

 

She blindly looked for her phone and with eyes still closed, she answered the call.

 

 

“Soo! What the heck? Where are you?” it’s Sana.

 

 

The drunken girl hummed sleepily, “Home,” she answered simply.

 

 

“How did you even—“ her friend cut herself, “Never mind that,” she vaguely pictured her friend shaking her head, “—what did you do last night?”

 

 

Then suddenly scenes from last night flashed in Sooyoung's mind and she felt embarrassed for more than half of those. “I—“ she started to say.

 

 

“—actually don’t answer that,” Sana cut her off again, “The whole country knows you’re with Wendy Shon last night and more than half of it thinks you’ve had with her,”

 

 

“I was with who doing WHAT?!”

 

 

All of a sudden Seungwan’s smirk and smiles last night came to her. How the heck did she not realize that ‘Seungwan’ is Wendy Shon, the soloist?!

 

 

Before Sooyoung could arrange her thoughts, a knock from her apartment door came and she mechanically started walking to answer the door.

 

 

“A video of you, or topless—I think—was posted on her official TikTok account last night. It had been deleted but of course people have saved a copy of it,”

 

 

Hearing this, Sooyoung face palmed herself, I should stay sober for the rest of my life.

 

 

When she opened her apartment door, she was shocked to see the people on the other side.

 

 

“Sana, I think I might have to call you back,” she said, her friend was still saying something when she abruptly ended the call.

 

 

Standing on her apartment door is an unfamiliar and pretty middle aged lady with none other than a guilty-looking Seungwan AKA Wendy Shon behind her.

 

 

“Hi, Miss Park, I’m Kim Taeyeon, Wendy's Manager, and I think we need to talk,”  

 

 

Shifting her eyes to Seungwan, Sooyoung read the apologetic look on the singer's face who is also mouthing ‘I’m sorry’.

 

 

Sooyoung had a feeling that her life would take a 180.