Two

The bucket list
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first day of the rest of your life.

 

 

 

Dahyun was never a believer in those superstitions that people used to tell, like the stories of the red thread of destiny, or soulmates. She never believed in the coincidences of life, and that everything happened for a reason, nothing was coincidence.

Or so she thought, until Sana arrived unexpectedly and decided she wanted to be that little coincidence in Dahyun's life. Something that doesn't happen twice. Sana was like a gift sent by the gods, or the universe? Dahyun isn't quite sure who she should thank for putting her in her path that day, but she does it anyway.

After that afternoon at the fast-food local, Sana and Dahyun created a list of things and resolutions that Dahyun wanted to accomplish. They were pretty accessible wishes, and Sana promised her that she would help her fulfill each and every one.

Dahyun wasn't quite sure what she did right to deserve Sana or for the girl to want to stay together with Dahyun when she barely knew her. 

When Dahyun asked her a second time, Sana just shrugged and said that she felt a special connection between her and Dahyun. 

Now she was ready to start completing her wish list. 

 

But first, there is something Dahyun must do, something she is not sure she wants to face. Again Sana gives her that little push she needs.

"Come on, you'll be fine. You can do it" Sana takes her arm and gives it a light squeeze in support. 

Dahyun nods, plucks up her courage and together they walk into Mrs. Park's restaurant, Jihyo's mother. After sending a group chat message the night before, Dahyun had asked her friends to meet there because there was something important she wanted to tell them.

The weather inside the restaurant is quite cozy and pleasant compared to the cold outside that night. There are a few tables occupied and people are enjoying a nice dinner. Dahyun doesn't need to look around, she simply walks to the back, to a slightly secluded round table that was always reserved for her group of friends whenever they usually gathered to eat there. 

Still with her arms entwined, Dahyun guides Sana through the place until she reaches the table, where her friends wait for her arrival while chatting animatedly. 

"Dahyun! Hello!" it is Chaeyoung who greets her first. 

Everyone's eyes glance at Dahyun and then at Sana, and then at their linked arms.

They occupy the only two empty seats and sit next to each other. The curious eyes of their friends continue to watch intently between Dahyun and Sana.

"Family, meet Sana" she finally makes the introduction, she has a nervous smile on her face. "Sana, meet my friends, and my family too." 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Dahyunnie told me about you" Sana says, smiling warmly. The nickname doesn't go unnoticed by any of them. 

"So, is this it?" Nayeon is the one who asks, she raises her eyebrows curiously, "Is this why you wanted to meet us here, to introduce us to your girlfriend?" 

Dahyun chokes on his own breath and opens his eyes wide. She quickly feels her cheeks burning, and next to her Sana is just as flushed as she is, but she seems to hide it better. 

"N-no, no, Sana is not my girlfriend. W-we're just friends." 

"Then why are you so nervous dubs?" Jeongyeon decides to .

"Well, too bad, I think they would make a cute couple" Nayeon follows Jeongyeon's joke. 

"Yeah, I think so too" Sana says, surprising everyone at the table, especially Dahyun who turns her head to look at Sana, even more flushed than before. Sana laughs, "I'm just kidding, relax." 

When the joke ends and Dahyun stops being a blushing bundle of nerves, Jihyo's mother comes to the table to take their orders for what they are going to eat. She greets Dahyun with a comforting hug, is introduced to Sana and Mrs. Park greets the girl with a big welcoming smile. 

"Well, what did you want to tell us then?" Jihyo picks up the conversation after her mother returns to the kitchen. They all look at Dahyun paying attention to her. 

Dahyun looks at each of them, suddenly feeling fear and insecurity return, she swallows hard. A hand takes hers and rests on her leg. Dahyun looks at their joined hands and then at her owner; Sana offers a smile, reminding Dahyun that she will be there for her at all times. 

Dahyun takes a deep breath and exhales before speaking, "I'm sick. I have three months to live." her heart pounds, nervous.

An overwhelming silence encompasses all the occupants of the table. None of them is able to utter a single word, and the atmosphere almost becomes uncomfortable. Dahyun squeezes Sana's hand a little.

"What?" Chaeyoung manages to ask. Her face is unreadable, just like the rest of them.

"Dahyun, I swear to god if this is another one of your pranks I'm going to hit-" Jihyo doesn't manage to finish the sentence.

"It's not a joke. She's not lying" Sana interrupts her.

"What are you talking about?" Nayeon questions, her voice slightly shaking. 

Calmly, Dahyun proceeds to tell them everything, from how she found out about her illness to how she ended up on the rooftop, where Sana found her afterwards. 

Silence reigns again after Dahyun finishes speaking. The expression of grief shows on everyone's faces. Nayeon is about to cry and Jeongyeon quickly offers her a paper napkin, while hugging her sideways. 

"Dahyun I..." 

"I don't want you to feel sorry for me, I'm fine. I'm still the same old Dahyun. Nothing will change." she smiles slightly. A sad smile unable to hide.

"You tried to do that? Are you crazy!?" Nayeon angrily snaps between sobs looking at Dahyun. "How did you even think of doing that!?"

Dahyun feels bad for making Nayeon cry. The girl was strong and could even be a who would finish anyone with a couple of words, but she had a kind and weak soul when it came to her friends, especially Dahyun. Nayeon had cared for, protected and loved Dahyun as if she was her younger sister, that's why she was willing to take all Nayeon's yelling and insults about how irresponsible Dahyun had been in making such a rash decision like that. 

"...What if Sana didn't make it in time?" Nayeon was still talking. Her eyes were red from crying as was the tip of her nose. There was a mixture of hurt and anger in her voice. 

"Nayeon, I don't think this is the right time to reprimand Dahyun for his bad decisions" Jihyo intervenes giving Dahyun a look. Nayeon follows the line of her gaze and all her anger quickly disappears as she sees that the younger girl isn't even looking at anyone. 

Dahyun isn't able to lift her head, she doesn't want to look at them, to see the disappointment on her friends' faces. Her chest constricts with guilt and she makes a great effort not to cry in front of them. In fact Dahyun had not cried at any time since the doctor confirmed her condition. It was like a dam that was slowly filling up and might soon burst. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get angry like that, it's just that you..." Nayeon stops speaking feeling another wave of tears fill her eyes and a lump forms in . Jeongyeon doesn't stop hugging her and Nayeon silently thanks her with a sideways smile.

"We love you Dahyun, we're not angry, we're just worried about you" Jihyo says, knowing that's what Nayeon would really mean. 

Fearfully she raises her head and meets her friends' gaze, however she is surprised and her urge to cry intensifies even more, because they are not looking at Dahyun with pity or mercy like the rest of the people, her friends' gaze only conveys love and affection for Dahyun. 

"We are a family, we won't leave you now Dubs" Jeongyeon said, sketching a soft smile.

"Yeah bro, we will be with you no matter what" Chaeyoung also smiles at her showing her dimple, her eyes also shining with tears but she makes an effort not to cry. 

For the first time in two days, Dahyun smiles genuinely, his heart feels warm after a long time. She is comforted to know that she has the unconditional support and love of her friends, her family, and now also Sana. 

 

Even if her fate is unfavorable, Dahyun feels that she can face anything. 

 

 

 

__________

 

 

 

Monday

9.00 AM

 

Dahyun sighs as she pauses to look at the building rising in front of her. She's been here many times, more than she could count on her own fingers. And today is probably her last day stepping foot in that place. 

She clutches the folder in her hands tightly, walks through the sliding doors, greets a few staff members, and advances to the elevator that takes her up to the fourth floor, where the office of her (soon-to-be) former boss is located. 

"Good morning Yeojin," Dahyun greets the girl behind the desk outside the boss's office. Yeojin was Mr. Jiro's assistant. 

"Oh, good morning Dahyun unnie. It's good to see you back" the younger girl smiles at her. 

 

Yeah well, it won't be for much longer... she thinks. 

 

"Is the boss in? I have some papers to deliver to him" 

"Of course

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter