Three

The bucket list
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The girl from Hawaii

 

 

 

One thing Dahyun always excelled at was being that person that everyone would immediately recognize. During her teenage and college days Dahyun was a social butterfly; she was friendly, liked by everyone, always trying to be helpful to everyone, and even though she didn't seek it out, thanks to her way of being she gained benefits and privileges that helped her survive through her college days. 

 

Perhaps it was her bright personality that attracted Jiro's attention, and what eventually led him to fall in love with the girl.

 

Jiro was studying accounting, it was in his second semester when he met Dahyun in his math 2 class. From a young age Jiro had great ability with numbers, which led him to participate in numerous math contests and debates. It was no surprise to anyone that he chose a career with numbers, after all that was his passion and he had great desires for his future.

 

Dahyun, on the other hand, just wanted to compose and play her instruments and perhaps, if the opportunity presented itself, she wanted to perform at some independent music festival. She would be happy to be able to show her art to the world, no matter if it was in front of five, forty or two hundred people.

 

However, her plans did not go exactly as she had hoped.

 

With her older brother, a young and renowned lawyer, her parents expected Dahyun to live up to her brother's standards, and that meant having to put aside her dreams, because for her parents being a musician would never be a worthy future.

 

She never wanted to disappoint her parents; she wanted them to be as proud of her as they were of Dowoon. So she followed her father's wishes and chose a career in accounting.

 

She got excellent grades in almost every subject, and even though she wasn't passionate about what she was doing, she was determined to finish her degree.

 

In the midst of all this, she met Jiro. A tall boy, athletic physique, black hair, dark brown eyes and a couple of small moles spread across his face. Unlike others, he was kind and very nice to Dahyun from the first moment they talked in that math class. Thanks to the fact that they shared four other classes together, that allowed them to be able to get closer and their friendship came naturally.

 

The big question of "do you want to be my girlfriend?" came on graduation day. Dahyun didn't even hesitate to say yes, as she was just as much in love with him as Jiro was with her. Nothing really changed in their relationship, because even before they were an official couple their circle of friends always joked that they looked like a married couple because of how well they understood each other and how they cared for each other.

 

The first step they took as a couple was to rent a small apartment in a neighborhood in the suburbs, a few minutes from the downtown area. It wasn't luxurious and didn't have all the amenities they could want but it was a start, and it was good enough for them. 

 

Everything was going smoothly and soon Jiro got a small position in his stepfather's real estate company. Dahyun also got a place, it wasn't his dream job but it had to be enough and she had to settle for that. In his deepest thoughts Dahyun still dreamed of becoming a professional musician but his chances were getting further and further away.

 

By the end of that same year Jiro got the top position in the company and his stepfather handed over half of the company to him, so Jiro became the new boss, and Dahyun was his second in command and his right hand man.

 

Fights and arguments were never usual between them, however they started to arise after Jiro's promotion as he tended to stay longer hours and hardly had time to spend with Dahyun in his free time. They would fight, and hours later he would come home with gifts or things that got Dahyun to forgive him.

 

Most of the time it worked.

 

The relationship kept going, with some ups and downs from time to time, but they always knew or tried (Dahyun most of the time) to put their relationship back together. It was for their fourth anniversary as a couple that Jiro gave Dahyun the best gift, something unforgettable, that would mark a before and after in the life of both of them, especially Dahyun.

 

That friday night, Jiro had come home with great excitement and when Dahyun questioned him, he showed her the two plane tickets bound for Hawaii.

 

"One trip to Hawaii, you and me. Two weeks just the two of us" he had said. He wanted to solve his relationship problems with Dahyun and believed that this trip would be the solution. 

 

The next day the couple boarded a flight to the island. 

 

 

Jiro had prepared everything in advance, he wanted his girlfriend to feel comfortable and intended to give her a big surprise before returning to Korea. He had even rented a beach hut for the whole week. Needless to say, the place had an incredible view and the ocean could be seen just a few meters from where the house was located. This house was in a private residential area but still accessible from the beach, in an area th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter