Epilogue

New Days

The young woman rushed downstairs with her bag on one shoulder. Today was the day she decided to act. She rushed across the office room where Yubin and Yoohyeon were talking about the latest mission the hacker was supposed to go on.

“Where are you going like that?”

“Han Head Quarters.”

“Ooh, I see.” The hacker gave her a thumb up. “You got this kid!”

“Please try not to create a mess, JiU complained again last week.” Yubin added.

“I’ll try!”

She took her motorbike and went to the Chinese District where the Han mansion was. No matter how many times she walked in that building, the people there always seemed upset to see her. Maybe it was because she liked to hack the cameras to hide her entry, or maybe it was because she always treated the mansion of the most influential mafia leader like her personal playground. In any case, the murderous looks from the security guards never kept the pink-haired woman from casually walking in as if security wasn’t for her.

A raven-haired woman placed herself in her path and she was forced to stop. But she didn’t lose her act.

“Where’s Dongie?”

The bodyguard sighed.

“For the last time kid, this is not how you address the leader of the Han family in the middle of her headquarters.”

“I’m not a kid!”

“Then stop acting like one.”

“Oh because you think a kid would know how to hack the camera?”

“Don’t tell me you did that again…”

“Hey Minji! Hey kid!”

“Bora!” The pink-haired girl exclaimed cheerfully when she saw the bounty-hunter walk in.

Minji looked at them in disbelief. “Oh so she gets to call you kid?”

“Come on, I raised her, it’s normal.”, SuA passed her hand in her hair and adopted a proud parent attitude.

“You’ve known her for four years.”, Minji looked down on her with her arms crossed.

“Still counts as raising her.”

“Are you here to accept another mission?” The hacker asked before the two could continue their bickering.

“No, I’m here to see Siyeon. She told me she was here.”

“She’s still with Han Dong, you’ll both have to wait.” Minji replied.

From inside the leader’s office, the two women could hear Gahyeon and Bora’s loud voices coming from the hall while Minji desperately tried to quiet them down.

“It looks like she’s finally going to take you to your words. You shouldn’t have made that bet.” Siyeon said with a smile.

“I made it because I wanted it.” Han Dong answered in her usual confident tone. “But still I feel like I don’t deserve that chance. I once considered her as an object. If it weren’t for you I still would.”

“I already told her that.” Han Dong stared at Siyeon, there was no sign of resentment in her eyes, simply concern. Siyeon went on. “When she told me she was going to win that bet for you, I told her how you first considered her and how risky it was to get too acquainted with the mafia world.”

“And?”

“She just shrugged it off and said that people make mistakes, some bigger than others, and that was it.”

Han Dong laughed, reassured. “I really like her a lot. I hope you know that.”

“I do.” Siyeon stood up from her chair and went to the door. “Time to let her in before she hacks the system again. Sometimes I wish Yoohyeon hadn’t taught her so well.”

The door opened to Bora and Minji bickering while Gahyeon was playing on her cyber-deck installed in her left arm. Just like Siyeon’s old cyber-arm.

“Nice to see you miss Kim.” The fixer said with a loving smile.

“Nice to see you miss Lee.” The solo answered while taking her partner’s hand within hers, entangling their fingers together.

Siyeon kissed Bora and stayed like this for a few seconds just to feel the other’s smile on her lips. Her gaze got caught into Gahyeon’s and judging by the hacker’s pout, she was growing very impatient. Siyeon broke the kiss and extended an arm to signify to the young woman to come closer, which she did, reluctantly at first but once she was caught into the taller woman’s embrace she couldn’t repress her smile. The fixer planted a kiss on top of the smaller one’s head and whispered to her.

“She’s waiting for you inside.”

Gahyeon looked up at her with a grin and broke the embrace to walk into the office.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Bora asked Siyeon.

“She’s twenty. Even if it weren’t a good idea, it’s not our place to meddle in her life.” She kissed Bora on the forehead. The bounty-hunter tucked her arms inside the fixer’s leather jacket and buried her face in her neck.

“You’re right. Now let’s go home, I’m tired.” She raised her head to wait for Siyeon’s answer, but all she got was a soft peck on the lips.

 

Inside the office, Han Dong was sitting on her desk, directly in front of Gahyeon who had chosen to sit on the chair. As cocky as the younger one may have appeared in front of the others, once in front of the Han leader, her persona seemed to hang on a very thin line. Despite the fact that they had a relatively short age-difference, Han Dong was the only one who had that effect on Gahyeon. The leader knew that very well and in ordinary circumstances she would have played with that but today was different. She wanted to hear what the young hacker was about to say. So instead she sported her enigmatic smile, the same she had when Siyeon came to ask for her help four years ago, but Gahyeon didn’t know that.

“What is it that you so desperately want to tell me Lee Gahyeon?”

The pink-haired hacker took a deep breath. Here we go.

“Do you remember two years ago, when I asked for a dinner with you and you said…”

“Ask again when you’ve made a name for yourself. Yes, I remember very clearly.”

Gahyeon smiled, it made her really happy to hear that. It meant that the other one had been waiting for this day too, and it gave her the confidence to go on. She showed her a smart screen with a ranking of the best hackers currently available on the black market. Gahyeon’s alias was written right under Yoohyeon’s, which made her the third most requested hacker. Considering she had only started seriously two years ago, this was not a small feat.

Han Dong tried to keep her poker face but she couldn’t help the proud smile that formed at the corner of her lips. The hacker really had overdone herself just for her. Even after two years, her feelings stayed and she came back to her even though she could have changed her mind. Nothing could make Han Dong happier. However, she couldn’t just let her win yet, she wanted to make this last, so she teased a little.

“As expected from the girl who hacks in our system every week.”

“I know you let me do it.”

“And you’re smart enough not to get too cocky. You’ve really grown a lot. But still, sometimes a little overconfidence is in order, don’t you think?”

Gahyeon was waiting for the Chinese woman to invite her to dinner, after all, she had done the hardest part of the bet. But Han Dong’s provocative smirk told her all she needed to know to plan her next move. She raised from her chair, placed her hand on the leader’s thigh as she moved her body closer, their eyes staring at each other with desire, their lips almost touching.

“Will you have dinner with me?”

Han Dong’s heart skipped a bit, but she couldn’t lose her composure. She grabbed Gahyeon’s chin between her thumb and index and looked deeper into her eyes.

“I made the reservation two years ago, you’re late.”