Night Raid

New Days

The night was covering the City. The group was patiently waiting in a van near the Wang villa while Yoohyeon was hacking the security system to help the infiltration. This raid was only one out of the many other attacks that were going to break simultaneously against strategic facilities belonging to the Wangs.

Siyeon had never been in this kind of operation. She was trained with all types of guns, and she had some hand-to-hand combat practice behind her. As one of the most influent corporates in the City she also had had her share of dangerous situations involving gunfire, bombs and all sort of assassination attempts, so of course she was trained to not give in to the pressure of it all. But still. This whole thing was on another level.

She looked at the other members of the team. Everyone was wearing combat gear with smart helmets that had a combat interface. Because of the equipment it was impossible to tell everyone’s identity. The only one she recognised right away was SuA. The solo must have felt the gaze upon her because she turned her head to Siyeon and gave her a thumb up.

“Guys, I’ve breached into their security, their communication system should fall any second now.”

Yoohyeon’s voice had resonated in their ear-pieces. One of the other two teammates for this mission stood up and started to speak, Siyeon immediately recognised JiU.

“Quick recap before we go. Our main objective is to find Wang Zhang Wei. Once we find him and take care of him, we go for the girl. We will be in contact with Yoohyeon during the whole operation, she will keep us updated on the situation in the villa, and help us locate the target. Ideally, SuA and I will be the ones who will clear the threats and engage combat, Siyeon and Hwang will cover our backs and stay away from the fight as much as possible. Understood?”

Everyone nodded. Siyeon looked at the fourth member of their team. They were the only person on the team she hadn’t met before. All she knew was that their codename was Hwang and they were the only one with a sword in addition to their assault rifle. Yoohyeon’s voice resonated again.

“Their whole system is down; you can go in.”

“Good. We’re ready to go. Activate the night vision, everything inside has been shut down.”

 

***

 

They had been inside the villa for almost an hour now, going through every room to try and find the one where Zhang Wei was hiding. Despite her best efforts Yoohyeon couldn’t find him on the security cameras. Her only lead was a security card used in the West wing of the villa, right where JiU’s team was.

The group had already encountered multiple guards who were trying to take back control of the situation, but all of their communication system had been hacked, thanks to the data that Siyeon gave to Handong. Unable to call for reinforcement or organise a counter-attack, the enemy’s defence teams were left alone, roaming in the corridors, hoping that the next group they would encounter would be on their side. They were being chased like mice in a maze with no way to escape.

Siyeon had no doubt their opponents were in a high level of stress, because even with SuA on her side she couldn’t help the anxiety from creeping in when they walked in those dark corridors with no sign of life except the occasional rounds of gunfire that could be heard from unspecified locations in the villa.

“Wang’s last known location is the next door on your left. He hasn’t used any access card since then so he probably has prepared something to welcome you, be careful.”

that.” SuA answered.

They were in front of the office door. SuA and Siyeon on one side, JiU and Hwang on the other. The two bounty-hunters were the ones closest to the door, facing each other, while the two others were facing the corridor on each side to make sure no one would take them by surprise. When they were sure no one would come, they prepared to cover for JiU and SuA with a suppressive fire. Everyone was waiting for Yoohyeon’s signal.

“The door is unlocked.”

JiU pressed the command, Siyeon and Hwang fired a round of bullets with their semi-automatic rifles, forcing the men inside the office to retreat in their dead angle or cover themselves with their cyberware. As soon as the shoot-out ended, the two solos stepped inside.

“I go left.”

With her enhanced legs, SuA got immediately at close range with the first bodyguard she came across. Her first punches were blocked, but it had forced her opponent to engage in close combat, therefore she could use him as a shield from the other guard who was trying to shoot her without taking down his friend. The man was taller than her, his built was massive and his cyberwares were probably designed for maximum damage. She couldn’t afford a long fight.

She let him move first. He went straight for her temple with a left hook. Too obvious. She lowered her body, stepped forward and moved to dodge then replied with a short right hook that landed on his jaw. Her punch was accompanied with an electronic wave to disturb her opponent’s reactivity. He repositioned himself, tried to land another hit but found out his accuracy was lacking. Bora blocked and this time let out the blade that was hidden in her cyber-arm. She stabbed the guard in the abdomen and turned inside to finish him. The man’s body dropped on the floor. She heard another voice calling her out.

“Got you .”

The other guard was pointing a gun at her. She didn’t have her human shield anymore, but she didn’t worry. She knew who got her back.

“Are you sure about that?”

A shot coming from the entrance pierced through his head. Siyeon had always been a better markswoman than she was a fighter. This target was particularly easy since the guy was two heads taller than Bora. Even if she was in front of him, he wasn’t covered.

“Serves you well for being tall”, SuA added with a disdainful look at the corpse.

She looked at the situation on the right side of the room and found that Hwang had also moved in to help JiU get rid of her opponents. The bodies of the four body guards were covering the floor in front of them, leaving only one person left.

Zhang Wei had assisted to the scene without moving. If he had, Siyeon would have gladly put a bullet between his eyes. Nonetheless, the man looked proud, even in defeat. His eyes scanned the group in front of him. He knew he couldn’t escape.

“Well done, bounty-hunter SuA, bodyguard JiU, CEO Lee - or should I just say Lee Siyeon now?” He adorned an amused smile. Siyeon sent him a scornful gaze under her helmet. “And who are you?” He rested his gaze on Hwang. “Oh, I see. You came all this way to see me fall, Han Dong, the Tiger of the black market.”

Han Dong pressed a button on the side of her helmet to remove the visor.

“I couldn’t let anyone else take your life, Wang Zhang Wei, the tired old man.”

Her opponent repressed a small laughter at the provocation.

“If you are anything like the rumours say you are, you will know that every leader has their pride and I refuse to yield just yet.”

He reached for the scabbard that was hanging on his side and drew a thin double-edged sword. No doubt it was built in a special alloy that made it sharper and more resistant than any common blade. The blue shining pattern on the length indicated potential modifications.

SuA, annoyed, simply took her heavy pistol from its holster and shot. With a swift movement of the blade, Wang deflected the bullet and used the surprise effect to rush towards the solo. His sword would have pierced through her had Han Dong not deviated it with her own sword.

“Not so tired after all.” She said simply before adopting a fighting stance. “I’ll be your opponent”

“Very few people know how to wield the jian sword. I am glad to fight against you.”

JiU, who had stayed stoic for the entirety of the mission, suddenly looked distressed. After all, it was her master engaging in a sword fight instead of letting the solos ending things. It did not help that Wang obviously had implants that increased his reflexes and perception. Who knew what else he had. She tried to intervene before it was too late.

“Ma’am, you don’t have anything to prove…”

“JiU.” The bodyguard instantly fell silent. “This is Wang Zhang Wei’s last fight on this earth. Stay behind and bear witness.”

Han Dong could not care less about her bodyguard’s worries, because unlike her she understood what this fight was about. The Wang leader had already accepted defeat in his heart. This was not about killing. This was about dying with pride. Despite their differences, Han Dong respected him. Maybe if she had known his reputation, SuA wouldn’t have acted so abruptly, because this man had once defeated an entire elite squadron only armed with his blade. The only way to hit him with a bullet was to do it by surprise, which had no chance of happening here. The only solution left was a melee fight.

The two leaders were facing each other. They knew this would only be a matter of one, maybe two strikes. Swords fights were always about precision and efficiency. Han Dong made the tip of her blade dance in front of her, looking for a spot in her opponent’s defence. Wang stayed calm. She darted her blade forward, aiming for his throat. He raised his elbow to deflect with a short movement and then extended to cut her shoulder. Han Dong brought back her sword to block. He used that new opening to redirect his blade and slice her left leg.

Han Dong had lost the first exchange. The wound was deep. She had no choice but to end the fight quickly, otherwise she would lose too much blood. In fact, she could already feel that her leg was becoming numb. She couldn’t put too much weigh on it, which was a huge disadvantage. Nonetheless, she adopted a fighting stance once more, choosing to be on the offensive again, this time aiming at the abdomen. The opponent moved to block but before their swords could meet, she redirected her blade with a short loop and aimed at the other’s throat. This time, his sword was too late.

Blood pooled from Wang Zhang Wei’s wound and drowned his throat. Because the cut wasn’t too deep, he would need a minute to die of drowning. He looked at his opponent with his disoriented eyes and for the first time the Han leader could read fear in them. She walked towards him, put a hand on his shoulder and brought her lips close to his ear.

“This was an honourable fight.”

The tip of her blade went through his ribcage and took a last breath out of him.

JiU immediately ran towards her boss before she could lose more blood. She reached for one of the large pockets of her military pants and used the tourniquet of her first-aid kit to stop the bleeding on Han Dong’s leg.

“We need to get to the medical team. The rest of the villa must be secured by now.” She put two fingers on her ear-piece. “Yoohyeon, how’s the situation?”

“The opponents have been dealt with. We have some casualties on our side as well. The medical team has already been called. Everyone is gathering in the main hall.”

“Good, we’ll meet them there.”

Another communication came through their ear pieces.

“Ma’am, we’ve found the girls who were held captives here.”

“Good.” Han Dong answered. “Bring them in the main hall and make sure that they are safe, nothing shall be done to them, understood?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

She turned to Siyeon.

“I am ready to honour my part of the bargain.”

They all went back to the main hall right after the entrance. The lights in the villa had been turned up again, some of the Wang soldiers had decided to surrender and were being disarmed by Han Dong’s men. In the middle of the room, a group of young girls and women were waiting, surrounded by guards who were handing them clothes that they had found in the villa. There was fear and distrust in their eyes, they were used to be seen as products, there was no reason for it to change just because there had been a change of ownership.

Siyeon scanned the group, trying to find Gahyeon. Suddenly she recognised the girl and walked straight towards her. She took her helmet off to let the younger one recognise her as well. The guards tried to stop her, but Han Dong signalled them to let her pass. Gahyeon was confused at first, but when she recognised the woman walking towards her a smile illuminated her face as tears started to cloud her eyes. Siyeon opened her arms and the girl rushed in to hug her.

“Miss Lee, you’re here, you’re really here.”

“I’m here little one”

She could feel the tears in her neck and the hot breath that the younger one could barely control. Gahyeon’s sobbing prevented her from making any coherent sentences. Instead she just repeated thank you while tightening her grip behind Siyeon’s back. The older woman tightened her grip in return and kissed the girl’s forehead while whispering reassuring words to calm her down.

“It’s okay now.”

Bora was watching the scene from a distance with Minji next to her. This was what she had risked her life for this past week and it was worth it a million times. To see this girl safe and Siyeon smile so bright. She never would have thought that a simple smile could trigger so many emotions in her. She wanted to protect this woman to see her smile again like that, to see her happy.

Han Dong moved forward and took back control of the situation.

“I am Han Dong, and from now on everyone who was captive here will be under my protection.” She walked towards Gahyeon. “This includes you as well. Even if I’m sure miss Lee will provide everything you need.”

The girl raised her head to see the one who was talking to her. Han Dong was intimidating. Her gaze was sharp, one could guess that she didn’t often show affection, but when she looked at Gahyeon her eyes were surprisingly warm. The leader was beginning to understand why Siyeon risked everything to save that girl. Things needed to change in the black market, forced ion and trafficking had to stop. She went on, this time addressing herself to the corporate.

“The attack is officially over; we’ll take it from here. You can leave and take her somewhere safe.”

Siyeon let Gahyeon go from her hug and walked towards Bora. The two looked into each other’s eyes, saying nothing, but understanding perfectly what both wanted to say. Eventually, Siyeon had to settle for the conventional sentence.

“Thank you, miss Kim.”

“No problem, miss Lee.”

They both smiled awkwardly, aware of the shallowness of this exchange when what they truly wanted to express was way beyond simple gratitude. Unable to say something else, Siyeon started to walk away with Gahyeon.

Minji, who had assisted to the scene, turned to her friend with a serious expression.

“What exactly do you think you’re doing?”

“What do you mean?”

“You like her, Bora.”

The solo looked away with an embarrassed laugh. “What? No! What are you talking about?”

Minji was still looking at her with a scolding gaze. She had seen Bora like this before when they first started dating. It was obvious she had feelings for the blond woman and it was also obvious that the feelings were mutual. But she also knew that Bora could be really dense when she was in that state.

“Just go after her!”

“I can’t do that! it would be weird.”

Handong had heard the exchange as well. It may have been surprising for some, but the gang leader really enjoyed this kind of drama. She shouted to be heard from Siyeon who was almost gone.

“Miss Lee!” The corporate turned around. “I think it will be better to take SuA with you as well for tonight. We never know what kind of retaliation you can face.”

Siyeon looked at Bora with interrogating eyes. She didn’t want to force her to follow her if she didn’t want to. After all, her contract ended when they got Gahyeon back, she had no more obligations. The solo adopted a carefree attitude.

“I mean, unless you still think you’re better on your own.”

“We both know I’ve been proven wrong on that.”

The corporate waited for the solo to join her at the gate and exited the villa.

 

***

 

Siyeon came back from her bedroom where she had put Gahyeon to sleep. The young one was obviously exhausted by all these emotions and collapsed almost immediately after she was tucked in the bed. Bora was waiting on the couch of the living room.

“How is she?”

“Exhausted and relieved, I think.”

“And how are you?”

“Exhausted and relieved.” Siyeon offered a tired smile and sat next to the solo. “You didn’t have to accept you know.” Bora looked at her, a bit lost. “Coming back here with me. You didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to.”

For a moment Siyeon studied Bora’s features next to her. The solo was fidgeting in her seat, not quite sure what to say or do next. On the other hand, Siyeon knew perfectly where she wanted to go. But before that there was something that needed to be cleared out of the way, the one thing that she was afraid of.

“Yoohyeon sent you the files about me, hasn’t she?”

“How do you…” The solo’s eyes went blank for a split second, trying to process the information. For how long had she known? It probably didn’t matter now. “Never mind. Yes, I’ve read them.”

“Is that why you stayed? Do you pity me?”

This question angered Bora. She didn’t want her feelings to be reduced to that. Among the many things she had felt for Siyeon, pity had never been one of them. The first one had been blind hatred for everything the corporate stood for. After the second time she missed her shot, hatred began to be mixed with respect. During the times when both of them played a game of cat and mouth with each of their lives on the line, she even took a sort of liking for the corporate. Disgust had also been in the balance sometimes because of the Wolf’s cold-blooded actions, although as a bounty-hunter she was in no place to judge. During their week together she had also felt a lot of irritation. Turned out the former corporate loved teasing her and she was too hot-blooded to stay quiet about it. At some point she found herself feeling at peace when Siyeon was around and that’s when she realised she couldn’t ignore her growing feelings any longer. When Bora learned about the corporate’s past, it didn’t really change anything because at that point she had already decided to protect that woman’s smile at all cost and she didn’t need an extra reason for that.

Bora was looking at Siyeon in the eyes, unable to hide the pain that the question had caused her. Maybe the blond woman didn’t feel like her, maybe she just liked to tease and nothing else. The solo felt a wave of disappointment coming over her.

“Lee Siyeon, you may be good at negotiations, but you are terrible at understanding people.”

“You think so? I remember that I have one question left that you must answer honestly.”

Bora groaned. “You’re infuriating sometimes; you know that?” Siyeon stared at her with a look that meant “Yes”. Bora sighed. “Go on, what’s your question?”

“Miss Kim Bora, are you catching feelings for me?”

The solo’s brain stopped processing. All this time when she thought Siyeon was being oblivious or straight up mean, she was giving her opportunities to confess. The former corporate was looking at her with her icy blue eyes. She knew what it meant now. Desire. She couldn’t believe she was beaten at confessing her own feelings, but she was happy to oblige.

“I think I am starting to fall in love with you.”

Siyeon didn’t confess back. She captured Bora’s lips with such intensity that the other could feel all her frustration and need in her kiss. The solo broke out and looked at the corporate with a smirk.

“Are you catching feelings as well miss Lee?”

She didn’t get an answer, simply a deep chuckle, the one she wanted to hear for the rest of her life. Siyeon captured her lips once more as a way to seal her feelings into something more meaningful than words. This time Bora didn’t escape.