Falling From the Top

New Days

            The sound of gunshots invaded the small office, she could even hear some of the bullets whistling above her head. When the first burst of gunfire ended, she raised her head above the desk and aimed at the hit men, forcing them to take cover. She quickly sat back and watched over the other woman hiding with her. She didn’t seem panicked at all, instead she was calmly assessing the situation. 

“Looks like your employer betrayed you.”

“Thanks, I noticed that.”

            Bora stared angrily at the tall woman taking cover with her behind the desk where she was sitting just five minutes ago before a group of armed men entered the room. Lee Siyeon, CEO of Insomnia Corp., one of the most influential and dangerous people in the City. Her short blue hair was a good representation of her flamboyant and fearless behaviour. At only 25 years old she had climbed her way through the corporation ladder, eliminating her opponents in whatever way she felt necessary and was now looking at everyone from the top. Needless to say that a lot of people were after her head. One of those people was Kim Bora.

            Better known as SuA, she was one of the best bounty hunters in town. Also called the Corporates’ Bane, she had tried to come for Siyeon’s head multiple times, but each time the Wolf of the Financial District managed to stay one step ahead and Bora was forced to retreat.   But this time was different. This time she was right in front of her, pointing her gun at her, ready to pull the trigger when she was interrupted by those buffoons. For some reason, the Wang family had decided to kill her along with her target. She clenched her teeth at the thought of that missed opportunity that forced her to sit there next to her worst enemy. Siyeon must have seen the irritation on the other woman’s features because she decided to intervene.

“I can help you escape, you know.”

“Really?”

“But under one condition” Bora sighed but signalled her to go on. “Promise me to stop hunting me after that.”

            The bounty hunter rolled her eyes. That woman really never missed an opportunity to reduce the number of her enemies. But SuA didn’t have a choice, she was out-numbered and her only ally could stab her in the back at any moment. Siyeon knew that too, because she was in the same situation, that was why she had proposed the deal in the first place. As much as she wanted to weigh her answer, there was no time to lose, she could hear the others moving, they were probably about to circle them, the two women had to escape now.

“Fine! Get us out of here.”

“All right, activate your night vision.”

            The corporate’s irises shone bright indicating that she was logging in the security system through the Network. A few seconds later, the lights went down and small machine guns appeared from the ceiling and the walls. The hitmen had nowhere to hide, Siyeon had already marked them as targets in the system. The guns fired, the attackers fell, silence invaded the room once more.

“We need to go. There are more coming from the main elevator.”

            Siyeon grabbed Bora’s arm and lead her to the back of the room, she placed her hand on the wall on the left and the plate moved to reveal the entry of a private elevator. The bounty hunter expected as much from the CEO, she was obviously prepared for this kind of situation. They were brought to a small room where all sorts of weapons were stocked, at the back there was a small changing booth; a bag containing clothes and different cyberware was waiting inside.

“Take what you need. I’ll change quickly before leaving the building.”

            The business woman entered the booth while Bora looked at the different guns and amo at her disposal. When she was done choosing the ones she was comfortable with, Siyeon emerged from the booth with new clothes on. She had traded her suit with a pair of grey jeans, a tight white top and a black leather jacket with a design of a howling wolf sewn at the front with neon fibre, her heels were replaced by a pair of black rangers and her hair was tied in a bun that was covered by a black cap, only a few blue streaks stuck out in front of her eyes. The attire wasn’t enough to hide her natural charisma, but anyone who would come across her wouldn’t think she was a corporate at all. Bora herself had difficulty hiding her amazement, she shook her head before her staring could become obvious.

“Ok, let’s get out.”

“Wait.”

            Siyeon taped on the keyboard that was hidden under the fake skin of her left mechanic arm and a hologram was projected in front of her. Thanks to that they could see the images of the security system in the whole building and it was not a good sight. The Wang family really had decided to get rid of Insomnia Corp. Images from the outside showed that they were also waiting for the survivors: there was no escape route.

            The CEO swiped on the hologram and displayed the command board of her car that was most certainly parked in the private parking lot of the building. It didn’t take long for SuA to understand what she was doing. She was planning to let her car ride outside in auto-pilot as a diversion while they would run away by another exit. Not even 5 seconds after the plan was put to work, they heard an explosion. After that there was no way the militia forces wouldn’t show up, this would force the henchmen to give up their position for now and also buy them time to run and hide.

            SuA walked in front of Siyeon in the corridors that separated them from the exit and took care of the remaining goons who were still searching the building. Once outside SuA touched the cyber-wear on her temple and a motorbike came out of a dark alley.

“All right let’s move on. I know a place where we can hide.”

“No thanks, I go solo from here.”

            The bounty hunter raised her brows, she expected the CEO to say that but at the same time it didn’t look like the smartest move.

“You know who the Wang family is, right? Their gang has control over the whole Chinese district but their influence doesn’t stop there. Even with your connections there’s no way you can hide from them, even less fight back.”

 

            Siyeon had her back Bora and was casually taking a submachine gun from her bag pack which she then hid in her inner-jacket. Her voice sounded calm and indifferent.

“I know that very well.” She turned around and looked at SuA with a cocky smile. “I’m just better on my own.”

            The bounty hunter just sighed “Fine, do whatever you want.” She kicked the starter of the bike and left the CEO alone on the side walk while the sirens of the militia suppressed all other sound in the background.

 

***

 

            Siyeon had been prepared for this situation ever since she entered Insomnia Corp. as a modest office worker five years ago. To everyone she might have looked like the perfect representation of the successful corporate, powered by greed and ambition. Climb to the top, stay at the top, as they said. But she had always known that this was only meant to be temporary. People who lost everything were legion in the City, and she had never been as arrogant as to believe that she was any different. Give it up before they can take it from you themselves as always been her mind-set. That was why she was living on her own, all her connections were either useful or disposable. Everything she won, everything she earned, everything she built, she was ready to leave them behind, except for one thing.

            Her cyber-deck beeped. She brought her forearm in front of her and typed on the key-board to see the news update: “Breaking News: Insomnia Corp. building raided by unknown terrorist group. Over a hundred casualties (still counting). CEO Lee Siyeon reported missing after the remains of her car where found in front of the building.” Siyeon snorted. If only they knew. The image switched to an announcement made on the black market. A bounty was placed on her head and SuA’s. Great, this was just great. The Wangs were moving faster than expected. Yet another message showed up, still from the black market: “Great auction held at the Wang Factory building. Biggest price: 16-year-old girl, no cyberwares, 100% natural, suited for all purposes.” Siyeon’s mind went empty from rage at the sight of this.

“ them.”

            Now she had no choice. She had to get her back.

 

***

 

            In the shadow of the sky-scrapers of the Financial District lurked a malevolent crowd. The rusty apartment buildings and poorly maintained streets of the Jungle were the survivors’ den. Everyone down there was part of a gang or a mafia for the pack is always stronger. Those who still chose to go solo were forces to be reckoned with: legendary hitmen or skilled assassins. SuA was one of them and even a bounty of 20 million credits wasn’t enough for the small fry to try anything. She drove into a small alley were no one was going and parked her bike in front of a garage door. She walked to the small device attached to the wall and identified herself.

“Yubin, it’s Bora. I got your message.”

            The door opened to let her come in with the motorbike. The inside looked like a regular garage with all the equipment required, there was even a car being repaired. A door on the right opened and a young woman with short light purple hair greeted the bounty hunter.

“I don’t know what you got yourself into, but let me tell you it looks like quite the mess.”

            Bora laughed heartily at the very relevant description of the situation.

“Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to turn Wang Zhang Wei’s offer to be his body-guard. Still, I wasn’t expecting him to turn on me right in the middle of a job I was doing for him.”

“You are one of the best solos of the City. He probably thought it was better to have you dead than being used against him. You should have seen this coming.”

            The bounty hunter’s grin turned into a more embarrassed smile.

“Anyway! You said in your text someone wanted to meet me?”

“She’s waiting for you with a job offer.” She raised her hand above her shoulder and pointed at the door behind her with her thumb. “I don’t know who would be crazy enough to hire you in the current situation, but I’m a fixer, not a life coach.”

            Bora walked towards the room, Yubin following close, both of them already into their “working personas”. They might be Yubin and Bora when they were with each other, but to everyone else they were Dami and SuA, the most efficient fixer of the Jungle and one of the most feared solos of the City. She pushed the door which revealed a small office with an old couch a little on the right after the entrance with several other seats around it. With one look inside, she recognised the person sitting in front of her harbouring her usual smirk.

“Hello again, SuA.”

“Hello again, miss Lee. How has it been?”

            Even the proud Wolf couldn’t hide her shame, it had only been a day since they both saw each other and she was already there asking for her help. With a movement of the arm she offered SuA to sit on one of the small stools in front of her and didn’t make any comment until the other took her offer and sat down waiting for her explanation, Dami sitting next to her.

“I wish I could ask someone else than the person who kept trying to kill me for a year, but the bounty on my head is a huge liability, and I suppose it is the same for you.” She stared at the other woman with her piercing eyes which always gave the impression that she could read your mind. The Bounty-hunter nodded but let the former CEO continue. “I was planning to disappear and go on my own way but something unexpected happened.”

            She showed the announcement of the auction that she received the night before to the two in front of her. Of course, the fixer had already seen the news since it was her job to collect information on every movements of the black market, but SuA read it more attentively.

“All purposes?”

            The other two looked at her with a sombre expression coupled with anger on Siyeon’s part. Dami took the time to explain.

“People without any implants are extremely rare, especially girls of this age. Some people would give anything to have her. Most of the time it’s for science experiments or trafficking.”

            SuA couldn’t quite hide her disgust. Selling girls to be used like objects was infuriating to her. But still, this was to be expected in the black market, and this was certainly not the first time it had happened, so why was it important for the former corporate? Siyeon could see the interrogation on the solo’s face.

“This girl is mine, I bought her, and they took her when I was busy fleeing the raid at the company’s building. Now I want her back.”

 

            She didn’t know if it was the shaking tone of her voice or the rage in her eyes when she said that but SuA just couldn’t believe this was a simple question of getting her property back. After all, the young woman had left everything else behind without a thought, why would this girl be any different if she just considered her as one of her belongings?

            Next to her, Dami didn’t seem to care about her potential client’s feelings. She was much more concerned with facts, and in their case, they weren’t really in their favour.

“You’re suggesting entering the Wang’s territory just for that girl? This would need an army.”

“I can have that.”

            Now this was just surreal. SuA who until now had done her best to stay emotionless couldn’t let that pass, even Dami who had an implant to suppress the expression of emotions had to at least raise an eyebrow.

“How the hell?” SuA’s voice was very loud all of a sudden. Siyeon just smiled.

“I have connections.”

“Ok” Dami shrugged it off. “Then I can suggest a hacker to help you organise, locate the target and break the security. Her name’s Yoohyeon, I’m sending you her credentials if you’re interested.”

“Fine”

            SuA’s gaze went from Dami to Siyeon as they both stayed composed while she just stared dumbfounded for a few seconds before processing again at the mention of the hacker.

“Not that brat again!” The bounty-hunter said, displeased. 

“You know she’s good at her job, stop acting like a hag.”

“Hey! I’m a well-regarded bounty-hunter, I suggest you remember that.”

Dami shrugged. “Whatever, you need me to find work anyway.”

            Siyeon who was looking at the hacker’s references couldn’t help but smile at the bickering happening in front of her and it didn’t go unnoticed, but SuA didn’t say anything by fear of breaking the moment. This must have been the first time she saw the former CEO smile genuinely. After a moment, the corporate raised her head to make the deal.

“The hacker seems fine, I’ll pay her service as well, when can she be ready?”

“With a bit of persuasion, today. With that decided, we only have one person left.” Dami and Siyeon turned their heads to SuA. “Are you in?”

            The bounty-hunter didn’t know what to say. If Siyeon could have an army, why was she asking her help as well, it didn’t make sense.

“What would you need me for exactly? I’m not worth an entire army.”

            The former CEO expected that question and the truth was she didn’t know herself. With her relations and money that she had managed to save, she could do without the solo. But something didn’t sit right with seeing the only woman who ever got close to kill her being hunted like a dog without a mean of fighting back. Also, and this was harder to admit, she liked having her around. Bounty-hunter SuA with her reckless attitude and unshakable convictions. Despite the fact that she had pointed a gun at her multiple times, she felt she could trust her the most.

“How many people do you think tried to kill me since I became CEO of Insomnia?”

“I don’t know, a dozen?”

“Sixty-three. But I don’t remember any of them, because they were eradicated before they could even reach me. The only one I remember is you. Out of all the assassins sent to kill me, you’re the only one I ever saw face to face. You may not be worth an army, but I trust your skills above anyone else’s. So, will you protect me and help me get that girl back?”

            SuA was awe struck by this sudden flow of compliments coming from probably the person she hated the most. Until now she had only seen Siyeon as the embodiment of everything she hated: power-greed, money, indifference, manipulation. It was easy to keep this image in her head. But ever since she had lost everything, the woman had never tried to get it back, hell, she didn’t even want to take revenge. The bounty-hunter just assumed that the Wolf had been born into wealth and power but maybe that was not the case, maybe they were more alike than she thought. Siyeon was right about her, she had morals and a great set of skills and with those she was determined to find out what could make her worst enemy ignore her survival instincts and go after one of the biggest predators of the Jungle.

“I’m only in for the money.”

“As long as you’re in I don’t care why.” She turned to Dami. “Send me your price, I’ll pay right away for everything.” Her cyber-deck beeped, she looked at it and read the message before getting up and opening the door to step outside. “Tell the hacker I need her now, my connections have contacted me. SuA, I need you to come with me.” She stepped back and looked through the door frame. “Quickly.”

            SuA looked at Dami who waved her head towards the exit to signal her to go after the CEO. She got up and followed her new employer.

            This was definitely quite the mess.