second // embrace and accept your cruel fate.

embrace your fate

 

 

The next day, Minjoo was still ignoring her existence. Yujin just tried to go around with the servants. Ning mostly talked to her, and Sullyoon. Garam stuck close with her sister though.

 

The day after that was almost the same, and Yujin felt like she was just a ghost to Minjoo. It was making her a little bit… off but she shrugged it away. She also visited her younger sister, the Fourth Princess, Hyunseo because she sent a letter that she missed her already so she immediately went there.

 

She talked about her job and Minjoo. Hyunseo wasn’t really liking Minjoo’s attitude towards her sister and wanted to speak to her. Yujin just cooed at her, hugging her little sister as she that she was growing up in a cool way like her.

 

The fourth day, Minjoo was throwing a fit again because Minister Kim refused to let her out of the estate.

 

“I feel suffocated, father,” Minjoo argued back, angry. “I want to go out. I will be bringing my servants to ensure my safety.” Minister Kim wasn’t amused, still refusing.

 

Yujin was at the side, observing the argument between the daughter and her father. Minjoo was actually saying the wrong words that was why Minister Kim wouldn’t agree.

 

Finally, after a while, Yujin sighed to herself. Minjoo was very stubborn-headed and she was determined to get out of this estate, she wouldn’t even hesitate to climb up the wall just so she could leap over at the other side but the guards would surely stop her before she could even reach halfway.

 

“I will accompany Lady Kim outside the estate, Minister.” Yujin said, and that caught the two’s attention, turning to her. Minjoo was frowning and Minister Kim looked alright.

 

“Alright. I’ll let you out, just bring Yujin with you.” Minister Kim said, and continued to write something on the parchment paper, ignoring his daughter who was giving him a pointed look.

 

“But—”

 

“No buts, go,” Minister Kim said firmly.

 

And so, Minjoo and Yujin went out of Minister Kim’s study together, silent.

 

Yujin stood quietly at her side, glancing at Minjoo, waiting for her ‘thank you’ but nothing. Instead, Minjoo glared at her and asked, “Why did you do that?”

 

The guard stared back, “Don’t you want to go outside, Lady Kim?” She asked in a polite, mocking tone.

 

Minjoo’s glare became sharper, and huffed, walking away again without saying anything to go to her chamber to probably fetch her things.

 

Yujin snorted at that, and just shook her head in distaste. “Why does she like walking away from me?”

 

Yujin waited for Minjoo at the gate. The maiden appeared soon after, and their eyes met as Minjoo approached closer. The swordswoman did not say anything and just followed after, two steps behind the woman as she clutched her sword tightly.

 

The walk towards the heart of the town was silent as expected, Yujin did not say anything and just kept observing the surroundings, trying to sense if there was something suspicious around. So far, there was nothing but she never lowered her guard down, especially that they would be blending into the crowd soon. More risk.

 

Minjoo just happily greeted the townspeople that were familiar to her, and Yujin realized that Minjoo was really popular around. The people were very polite to the infamous Eldest Lady Kim, too. Minjoo was indeed loved by people. Throughout their journey to the market, people would greet and bow at Minjoo with a smile, the latter would do the same, giving a brighter grin. The kids flocked over her too when they spotted her, dropping their toys as they ran towards Minjoo to greet her, “Eldest Lady Kim!” Minjoo gave them each a head pat, reminding them softly to stay healthy.

 

Yujin couldn’t help but to think of something. Minjoo would definitely make a great Queen Consort. She was popular to people, even great with them — she was very loved by everyone because of her beauty and kindness. She was going to be the perfect Queen.

 

The guard watched silently as Minjoo smiled brightly at the kids, teasing them. And a perfect woman like Minjoo wouldn’t want to be a Queen, she wanted freedom, she wanted to roam around and help people freely.

 

Her heart ached at the sight.

 

Minjoo continued to stroll, and once they finally reached the market, Yujin’s hold on her sword even became tighter. It was crowded and there was a bigger risk so she stuck closer to Minjoo who tried her best to ignore her, smiling and greeting people.

 

“My, my!” One of the old ladies exclaimed upon seeing Minjoo, her eyes sparkling. “It’s Eldest Lady Kim, it’s been a while.”

 

Minjoo smiled at her, “Oh, Grandma, I already told you to call me Minjoo.”

 

The old lady waved her off, “Absolutely not, that’ll be too disrespectful!” She said then happily pointed at the goods she was selling, warm dumplings and other accessories. “I’ve got new crafts! My granddaughter helped me make them and she’s much better than me.”

 

Minjoo smiled and checked the crafts. Yujin focused on their surroundings, subtly roaming her gaze around the area, it was making her a little bit tense because almost all of the people here were looking at Minjoo, although in an adoring gaze — some were lust and to be honest, Yujin was tempted to pluck their eyes out. Lady Kim only deserved to be looked at like she was a goddess.

 

“They all look wonderful, Grandma Yoon.” Minjoo complimented and grabbed a hairpin then paid for it. She also eyed the dumplings, feeling her stomach rumble at the sight so she also bought one but then, her eyes caught a tall figure at her side.

 

She glanced and she realized that, yup, she forgot that she was with this tall one. After hesitating for a moment, she paid for two dumplings, asking the grandma for another one. The old lady handed out the other hot and fresh dumpling to her, chirpy.

 

“Here,” Minjoo said, handing Yujin the other dumpling without looking at her.

 

Yujin was pleasantly surprised, amused. She looked at the mouth-watering dumpling then to Minjoo then to the dumpling again and to Minjoo again until the latter’s face turned red. “Come on, take it before I change my mind.” She mumbled so Yujin immediately took it, immediately having a huge bite, and hummed in delight afterwards.

 

“Your dumplings are all tasty, Grandma.” Yujin complimented with a big grin, her cheeks stuffed with dumplings.

 

The old lady blushed, slapping the air out of shyness. “Oh why this handsome lad! Please enjoy your food!” She waved them off.

 

Yujin did not bother to correct her, just happily eating her dumpling, and thinking that Minjoo was indeed the kindest — she was a step closer to Minjoo’s heart, it may seem.

 

However, Minjoo was a little bit bothered by it. The two of them continued to walk through the busy marketplace, Minjoo continued to ignore the gazes and kept greeting the folks she knew politely while Yujin became extra observant as she nipped on her food.

 

“Why aren’t you bothered getting mistaken as a man?” Minjoo quietly asked.

 

Yujin almost choked on her dumpling, surprised that Minjoo initiated a conversation when earlier — she looked like she wanted to strangle Yujin to death. “Not really much of a big deal,” She replied plainly, it was better because people in this society belittle women. She would just garner more unpleasant looks from people if ever. “You shouldn’t be too bothered by it when I don’t.” Yujin added cheekily.

 

Minjoo huffed at her, “Who said I was bothered?” She asked, and then continued on. “I will be upset if I were mistaken as a man. I’m proud to be a woman.”

 

Yujin was amused at their conversation. “I didn’t know you’re a feminist, Lady Kim.” She replied.

 

Glancing at her, Minjoo arched her brow. “Am I?” She whispered and shrugged, “I’m just… In this world where men rule and lead while women submit and follow, I just feel uncomfortable. I’m a strong woman, you’re a strong woman. We should be unafraid to tell people that we’re not weak, that females can rule and lead too. Do you get it where I’m coming from, Yujin-ssi?”

 

Yujin blinked, stunned at the powerful statement that Minjoo had said. She was also in awe when Minjoo finally called her by her name. She was surely warming up, that was good.

 

The corners of Yujin’s lips tugged upwards, “It’s not that I’m afraid, Lady Kim,” Yujin clarified. “I just do not want to garner attention.”

 

Minjoo nodded at her reasoning, “Understandable. If you flaunt that you’re a woman, they’ll look at you as if you’re a whole joke or nothing but a toy.” She whispered, a little bit bitter.

 

Yujin smiled secretly to herself, and their journey continued on quietly. They went to some shops, and fabric stores. Their last stop was this literature shop, Minjoo was browsing and checking out some brush and inkstone when suddenly, a tall good-looking man entered the same shop.

 

At one glance, one would know that he was from an aristocratic family. His posture, his expensive robes, and his handsome looks screamed ‘young master’ all over. Yujin paid no mind as she looked around the shop as well as she waited for Minjoo but when she came back from browsing — she saw the newcomer approached Minjoo, trying to have a talk with her.

 

Yujin walked closer to check and listen to their conversation.

 

“I haven’t seen you around the streets of Hanseong. Your face is something that one will never forget,” The man said with a charming smile on his face, eyes sparkling in admiration.

 

Minjoo just smiled at him, “I do not usually go out, only if my father permits me to.”

 

The man laughed heartily, “Well, I understand him. Just look at you, mylady.” He dreamily pointed out, and Minjoo blushed a little that made Yujin frown. They were flirting?

 

They continued to talk until the guy started to scoot closer, and Minjoo looked quite uncomfortable already. Yujin knew she had to in soon.

 

“Ah, pardon me, I forgot to introduce myself. I was taken aback to the point my manners flew away,” He said, and gracefully bowed as a sign of respect for Minjoo, smiling lightly. “This young master of the noble Choi clan greets you. My name is Soobin, may I know yours, lovely maiden?” He then suddenly reached for Minjoo’s hand without her permission, which shook the latter.

 

Yujin’s grip on the sword tightened, and immediately stepped in between them. Minjoo looked insanely uncomfortable when the guy touched her so suddenly, and was relieved when Yujin stepped in.

 

Yujin’s eyes were piercing and intimidating as she stared at the disrespectful man. Soobin was taken aback, fear igniting in his eyes. “And who are you? Me and this lovely lady were having a good chat, you’re rude.” He said, acting tough but Yujin’s presence obviously scared her.

 

“You do not touch my Lady without her permission,” Yujin spat coldly, and tried to intimidate him by slightly drawing her sword out.

 

Soobin flinched and raised his hands above, “I apologize, I apologize. I do not mean any harm. You do not need to draw your sword out, guard. I’ll be on my way and won’t bother your Lady anymore.” He stammered, and bowed to them before running away from the shop, his imaginary tail between his legs.

 

Yujin huffed, putting her sword back. “Men are getting braver these days. They should scram.” She said then looked at Minjoo, a little bit worried. “Are you alright?”

 

Minjoo looked like she was out of it, caressing her hand. “I’m unharmed, don’t worry. Just aghast because of his brash actions. His manners indeed flew away.” She replied, shaking her head.

 

Yujin took a deep breath, “Let me you home, Lady Kim. It’s better to be at home now.”

 

Minjoo did not fight back, and just followed along. Yujin stuck close to the maiden as they walked home, and did not encounter anything bad after that.

 

///

 

After that, Minjoo continued to warm up around Yujin but still, the Lady did not initiate conversation anymore unless needed. Finally, after more than three weeks, the woman was accepting her fate — that she was going to be caged, and Yujin would be guarding her all day, all night. And if Yujin was needed for an urgent errand, another female swordswoman guard named Chaeyeon would temporarily keep an eye on her until Yujin came back.

 

“To the palace?” Minjoo asked, turning to Yujin. The guard nodded.

 

Yujin just relayed the news about Minjoo being summoned by the King and Crown Prince that day. She got the news from the palace messenger just a little while ago.

 

“His Highness the Crown Prince will be departing to the military border in two days, and he asked for your presence — wanting to have a talk to you before he goes away for a year.” Yujin continued to elaborate and Minjoo’s expression just turned more sour as she spat words.

 

Minjoo snorted bitterly, “They won’t really stop bugging me about the marriage, huh?” She whispered, putting down the brush as she let out a very deep sigh. She was solemn.

 

Yujin pursed her lips together, feeling her heart getting poked by a needle as she watched Minjoo’s shoulders slump in defeat. Knowing his brother and father, they wouldn’t let Minjoo go. The decision was set, and the King himself was already preparing the plans for the grand royal wedding that would happen next year.

 

Minjoo noticed her expression, and shook her head, “Do not pity me, Yujin.” And yes, she dropped the formality now, and that relieved Yujin a little. She glanced at her with a sad smile, “It’s really a curse to be born in an extremely wealthy family, and with this kind of beauty too.” She whispered and then picked up the brush again. “I just hope that my sisters won’t go through the same situation as me, I want them to live however they want.”

 

Yujin clenched her jaw. Upon being close with Minjoo these past few weeks even though they were not really that… close to the point of friendship, their relationship was purely professional and just for work but… Yujin had already developed a soft spot for this woman. Even though the lady was hostile and cold to her, it didn’t erase the fact that Minjoo was a lovely person in general.

 

She couldn’t speak, remaining mum beside the sitting Minjoo. The lady noticed her silence, and side-eyed her as she continued to write. “Do not worry. I will be going, it’s not like I can refuse. The King and the Crown Prince’s words are absolute. They might tie me up and drag me to the palace if I ever refuse.” She said with a slight sad smile on her face.

 

Yujin could only stare at Minjoo until the time where they had to depart to the main palace came. Minjoo obediently went to the carriage herself and was escorted by palace guards and Yujin.

 

In no time, Minjoo found herself seated in the throne room, the King was seated on his throne where she had to look up just to get a glimpse of him. The Crown Prince was present, too, in the room and was at the far side — staring at her with adoration and longing in his eyes. Minjoo ignored him.

 

“I’ve already been preparing the arrangements for the wedding that will happen next year. I want it to happen as soon as possible because I’m not getting any younger, I need my son to be wed to you so I can be at ease.” The King’s voice echoed around the almost empty room.

 

Minjoo uncomfortably shifted on her sitting position. There was no familiar presence that could somehow… soothe her. She was tense. Even Yujin did not enter the room so she was left with the King, Crown Prince, the secretary, and palace guards there.

 

It would be better if Yujin was there, to be honest. At least that woman would make her feel a little bit safer. Minjoo felt so intimidated being in the same room as these royals.

 

The King continued to blabber and the Crown Prince continued to openly gape at her. Minjoo could only force her head to nod politely until the meeting ended, all Minjoo just heard was ‘marriage’ and ‘wedding’.

 

The King excused himself because there would be an official court meeting he had to attend so she was left with the Crown Prince who looked dashing in his expensive robes, looking reluctant to approach her.

 

Minjoo stood up, and turned to Sungchan’s direction, giving her courtesy before turning her back — desperately wanting to walk away. She didn’t want to face him.

 

“Lady Kim, wait,” He said, and Minjoo halted on her tracks. “Please, allow me to have a conversation with you. I wouldn’t be able to personally communicate with you for a year. I can only send you letters.”

 

Clenching her fists, Minjoo faced the Crown Prince with a cold look. Sungchan was in awe, gaping at her face again but he regained his composure.

 

“I actually tried to talk to the King regarding this matter,” Sungchan started off, his lower lip. “I wanted to court you first after I came back but… the King wanted me to marry you already.”

 

Minjoo did not say anything, her gaze lowered, refusing to meet his eyes. Sungchan looked very sad over that, sighing to himself as he continued to explain. “It looks like I’ll try my best to court you through letters and after our marriage. Rest assured, Lady Kim, I’ll be a very good husband.” He continued on to blabber and Minjoo just listened half-heartedly, thinking of other things such as dragging Yujin again to the market.

 

“I will be going now then. It’s such a shame that I won’t be able to see you for a year, and it tortures me. I hope that you’ll stay healthy and safe. I know my sister will protect you well. I bid my goodbye now, Lady Kim.” Sungchan said, and bowed.

 

Minjoo finally snapped into reality, Sungchan’s words passing through her ears. “I wish you a safe trip to the border, your Highness the Crown Prince. I hope you will stay well and healthy throughout the training.” She could only reply, a little bit absentminded.

 

With that, they exchanged courtesy before parting ways, Sungchan looked a little gloomy but Minjoo could care less. She wanted to be out of that suffocating place.

 

She was escorted by some guards outside and she immediately looked for Yujin but she failed to see the woman around. She was confused because this was where she left Yujin.

 

“Yujin is summoned so she’s not here,” Chaeyeon suddenly appeared and surprised Minjoo with the news. “I will be escorting you home, Lady Kim.” She said with a smile.

 

Minjoo just nodded and followed along.

 

///

 

The next few days passed by a breeze and Minjoo noticed that Yujin was always away, being summoned to the palace so she was with Chaeyeon. Truthfully, Chaeyeon was a fun guard. She initiated conversation well and tried to make it less boring, cracking unfunny jokes too that would make Minjoo chuckle sometimes but… she liked Yujin’s quiet company more.

 

For almost a month of being around, Minjoo got used to their silent dynamic. Yujin was always quiet and loved to be in her own little world, she sometimes would murmur to herself that would pique Minjoo’s interest.

 

The guard loved to observe her surroundings and whenever they were in the pavilion, with Minjoo doing her own thing and Yujin guarding — Yujin would usually just watch her silently in a comfortable way. Personally, Minjoo hated being stared at but Yujin would usually watch her in amusement or in an intrigued way silently so Minjoo let it pass until she got used to it.

 

At this point, it didn’t feel a little bit right not being watched.

 

“Unnie,” Sullyoon’s voice snapped her back in reality, and Minjoo flinched, glancing at her little sister. “Are you alright?”

 

They were currently in the pavilion, Minjoo was teaching Sullyoon calligraphy because the latter wasn’t blessed with it, unlike her. Minjoo just nodded and smiled, “Yes. Just zoned out a little bit.” She whispered then looked around, Chaeyeon was still the person who was guarding them close, staring at the sky with a smile on her face.

 

Sullyoon noticed it, and smiled, “Looking for someone?” She teased.

 

Minjoo’s cheeks flushed, feeling like she got caught. “No, nothing.” She waved it off and they continued to work, Sullyoon just smiled and followed the older sister’s instructions.

 

Yujin appeared after a few hours, exchanging with Chaeyeon. Minjoo was a little bit relieved upon seeing her, and continued to teach Sullyoon.

 

Soon after, Yujin started to watch again, curious as she leaned against the railing. Minjoo smiled secretly, not even catching herself at it. Sullyoon did, though, glancing at the guard who was watching them fondly and silently at the side.

 

Sullyoon excused herself afterwards, having a session with a lecturer that afternoon, leaving Minjoo and Yujin there at the pavilion alone.

 

Minjoo tidied up her things, glancing at Yujin who was sitting at the side, eyes closed — seemingly taking a nap. She braced herself up and finally asked, “How are things going in the palace?”

 

Yujin opened her one eye, taking a peek at her. “Oh, fine. Just a little bit hectic because of the Crown Prince’s departure from the capital but all is good now. That’s the reason why I’ve been summoned frequently to the palace.” She replied, crossing her arms, feeling a little bit laidback.

 

Minjoo hummed, and then stood up, gesturing for a servant to take their things inside the estate. “Alright then, get up,” She said to Yujin, and the latter looked at her, as if asking where to.

 

“Accompany me to the market, I heard that there’s a new writing competition. I want to register anonymously again.” She said with a smile then walked away, entering the house.

 

Yujin was a little bit stunned, and from then on, she realized she finally got into Minjoo’s good side.

 

///

 

(tw: blood, death, gore)

 

Minjoo registered anonymously as ‘White Pearl’ this time, she was friends with the friendly organizer of the event already so her identity was safe. And to be honest, Yujin was looking forward to it — she wanted to see the process of making such a story.

 

But then days passed and Yujin just watched Minjoo stress over it, unable to write something that was satisfying to her already. Every single day at the pavilion or garden, Yujin accompanied and watched Minjoo try to write and fail, murmuring to herself that it was bad and not interesting enough.

 

Yujin did not know that Minjoo was very competitive and perfectionist. Even she herself got stressed whenever she saw Minjoo writing with her brush and ink and then crumpled down and threw the parchment paper away after a few words.

 

A week after and nothing, Minjoo looked very sad and stressed. Yujin knew she had to say or do something to ease the lady’s heart.

 

“Still nothing?” Yujin asked timidly, worried.

 

Minjoo groaned, and sighed to herself, massaging her temples. “Yes,” She answered truthfully and looked at the brush she was holding with a defeated gaze. “I… I can’t write something good.”

 

Yujin nibbled on her lower lip, “Don’t stress over it, Lady Kim. I’m sure ideas will come naturally.” She tried to cheer her up but Minjoo just whined and rested her head on the table, looking like a wet puppy.

 

“I need to submit my entry next week, Yujin. And I want to win. The money prize is so good, I’ll be able to donate such a hefty amount to the ones who are in need…” Minjoo whispered and sighed heavily again, looking troubled. “Somehow, I can’t write something interesting and new. I want something that hasn’t been written before…”

 

Minjoo continued to whine over it like a child. Yujin scratched her head, and looked up at the sky, trying to think of something that could help Minjoo. An interesting story? Hmm.

 

Out of the blue, a gist of the idea entered Yujin’s mind and before she could even stop herself from saying it — she spoke, “How about… a girl orphan who was living in the outskirts of the capital suddenly learned that she was a royalty.”

 

Minjoo looked at her, eyes wide and Yujin panicked. “I, I— It’s just a random silly idea that sudden—”

 

“Perfect. Excellent, it’s excellent Yujin.” Minjoo commented, and gasped to herself, writing it down with her eyes twinkling in motivation. “The betrayal… The curiosity… The shock… The thirst of wanting to know the answers… Perfect, Yujin.” She continued to murmur to herself as she wrote down quickly but still so gracefully.

 

Yujin blinked, nodding slowly, “Glad I helped?” She was slightly relieved, somehow.

 

Minjoo stared at her with sparkling doe eyes, “Do you have any other specific details about it?” She asked in a hopeful way.

 

Oh no. Yujin knew it was a bad idea to mention it but she couldn’t help but to refuse when Minjoo was looking at her like that… as if she was the glint of hope that she had been waiting for a week now.

 

With a sigh, Yujin started to say some little details — Minjoo wrote them down, not knowing that it was actually Yujin’s little life but she didn’t need to know that. Just happy that she could help Minjoo this way, and to be honest, it wasn’t so bad because after a week of watching Minjoo get stressed over it, she looked very happy writing the story down.

 

She just hoped she wouldn’t regret this.

 

And for a week, it had been their daily routine. Minjoo wrote down while Yujin watched from the side, answering Minjoo’s questions if there were any. The maiden would sometimes ask for suggestions and advice so Yujin would help her.

 

It was safe to say that Yujin contributed a lot to Minjoo’s piece, and the swordswoman was a little bit uncomfortable reading it because it was literally her own biography. Minjoo was still unaware of it and it was better that way.

 

For some reason, the writing session made them a little bit closer. Yujin noticed. At first, Yujin would just sit on the railing and would observe there from afar but the next few days, she just realized that she was sitting beside Minjoo already as she gave suggestions, guiding Minjoo throughout the process too — she checked the details and everything, and watched Minjoo work that close which was endearing.

 

Minjoo did not mind the closeness too, even directly staring at Yujin’s eyes whenever the latter was speaking about the little ideas and scenarios. They were comfortable with each other, and that was great.

 

On the last day of writing, Minjoo and Yujin sat across from each other. The former was holding the parchments where the story was written, reading it outloud to Yujin with her soft, hypnotizing voice.

 

Yujin listened to it intently, feeling her chest getting heavy as she reminisced along the story while she stared at Minjoo who looked extra dashing and bright that day, with the afternoon sunlight kissing her pale skin. She stared a little longer than usual.

 

“So, how was it?” Minjoo asked after reading the story out loud for Yujin to judge, a little bit nervous.

 

Yujin grinned at her, a dimpled smile that she rarely showed which surprised Minjoo a bit. “You write well, Lady Kim.” She sincerely complimented, a little bit proud.

 

Minjoo sighed in relief, and smiled back at Yujin — eyes turning into crescents and Yujin captured that moment in her brain, thinking that it was one of the most breathtaking sights she had ever witnessed.

 

After that, Yujin accompanied Minjoo out to the organizer. The latter submitted the entry and the old man was delighted, saying that it would be a sure win again this time as long as Lady Kim wrote it.

 

While they were strolling around the heart of the capital, Minjoo glanced at her shoulders and saw that Yujin was still walking two steps behind her so she slowened her pace so they could walk side by side. “Stop doing that.” She whispered.

 

Yujin glanced at her, confused and oblivious. “What?”

 

Minjoo noticed their height difference again once they were walking shoulder to shoulder. “Walking two steps behind me, it makes me feel unsafe. Start walking beside me from now on.” She ordered, and looked forward again.

 

Yujin was stunned for a little while before soundlessly giggling, “Understood, Lady Kim.” She said, and her grip on her hwando tightened even more.

 

They continued to walk until Minjoo spoke again to break the silence, “If I win first place, I’ll give you a reasonable amount of money.” She said after clearing .

 

Yujin glanced at her with a questioning look, “What for?”

 

Minjoo met her eyes, looking at her as if she was ridiculous. “As payment, of course. The story is basically yours, I just wrote it down on the parchment.” She explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

“I do not need money,” Yujin deadpanned and shook her head. “No. I just gave you the main plot and ideas, suggestions too.”

 

However, Minjoo wasn’t convinced and in the end of their bickering, they decided that it would be for the better to donate all of the money if the story ever won. Minjoo passed through a noodle shop, and halted on her steps — Yujin instantly stopped too.

 

Minjoo glanced at her after staring at the shop, “At least let me treat you. You’ve been helping me make the story for a week and no buts or I will treat you coldly again,” She threatened after seeing Yujin open to protest, with that, Yujin shut close.

 

Yujin was still hesitating though and so Minjoo rolled her eyes and grabbed the sleeve of Yujin’s robe, dragging her inside the noodle shop.

 

“This is the least I can do to pay you back for everything, Yujin-ah.” Minjoo said as they sat on a vacant table, “Order anything you like, it’s on me.” She added with a smile.

 

In the end, Yujin ordered a bowl of noodles and ate it heartily. Minjoo got one too and she was happy that Yujin was enjoying her food so much. It was rare for aristocrats to linger in those kinds of places but Minjoo loved simplicity so it wasn’t unusual for her.

 

Another peaceful week passed, and Minjoo and Yujin went to see the organizer. Minjoo was nervous wreck, biting her nails as they walked. Yujin didn’t know how to help her calm down, all she could do was to say, “I’m sure you won.”

 

Oh, it did. They won the first place, and Minjoo gasped in happiness, clutching Yujin’s arms as she bounced lightly on her feet. The organizer laughed heartily at her as he complimented Minjoo’s unique work, and sudden change of genre but it was pleasant and people loved it. He gave the prize money and told Minjoo that she was anticipating her entry again in the next competition.

 

Yujin was happy enough to see her lady being all smiley as they walked out of the shop. Minjoo kept grinning, clutching the bag full of coins, she looked very chirpy. “Why, you don’t look happy.” Yujin teased, and Minjoo chuckled.

 

They continued to talk about things, and arrange where they should donate the money until in the middle of their journey — Yujin felt something. A bad tingling.

 

“Yujin?” Minjoo noticed her unusual behavior, worriedly looking at her guard. “Everything’s fine?”

 

Yujin did not answer, frantically looking around with her sharp gaze. She smelled danger, she could feel it. It was very near, she had to be alert. “Minjoo,” She called softly.

 

Minjoo tilted her head, “What’s wrong?”

 

And as if on cue, something caught Yujin’s eye on the northside — there she saw two hooded figures standing at the roof, eyeing them. And once she spotted them, one of the bandits flinched and swiftly threw something in their direction.

 

Everything went in slow motion for Yujin. She could feel Minjoo’s obliviousness and the blades that were approaching fast. Her body moved accordingly on its own, tackling Minjoo on the ground then rolled their body until they were under the table of a fruit stall.

 

Surprised and horrified screams filled up Yujin’s ears. She had no time to slack off. She immediately sat up, and turned to Minjoo who was lost and surprised.

 

“Someone is attacking, stay still.” Yujin whispered, and there was panic in Minjoo’s eyes when she heard the news from the swordswoman.

 

Yujin swiftly went out of the table after securing Minjoo there, and drew her sword, eyes roaming around and focused. She saw the black figures, one was approaching from the left and one from the right.

 

She had a quick mental calculation, and assumption — for sure, there were no other bandits aside from these two that were sent. And as much as possible, she shouldn’t go far from Minjoo. She had to stand her guard.

 

Yujin twisted her body to the left side, seeing how fast that person was approaching, and tightened her grasp on the hilt of her sword. The person was surprised at her offensive stance but before he could even back out or stop, Yujin was already in front of him.

 

From his exposed eyes, Yujin saw the shock and horror at her speed. Before he could even do something, Yujin pierced her sword in his stomach then took it out as fast as she plunged it in. Yujin had already moved on the other side before the blood from his hole could even gush out. He fell lifeless on the ground which made the innocent civilians and vendors scream in horror.

 

Yujin used her daggers to stop the other bandit from approaching Minjoo closer. It stopped him, making him step back instinctively as the daggers hit the ground. When he looked up from the distraction, he was greeted by Yujin who was mid-air — the tip of the sword pointed downwards.

 

The guard landed her feet on his torso, making him fall on his back — Yujin used this advantage to pierce her sword into his throat. After that, Yujin stared at the pool of blood before taking her sword out.

 

She gave the lifeless bandits one last look then looked around, nothing more. Minjoo was safe now. The bandits that were sent were also amateurs, they hadn’t even gotten the chance to draw their swords out and fight Yujin. They were taken aback at how fast she was.

 

Yujin shook her sword a little bit to take out some blood that painted the blade before sheathing back her sword then ran to Minjoo. When she went back, she spotted Minjoo at the corner under the table, shaking.

 

But before she could even call her, her heart stopped as she felt multiple presence behind her. A sweat rolled down from her temples, and when Yujin sensed them move — she also faced them, swiftly drawing her sword back again then blocked the attack of the first sword that was about to slash her into half.

 

Using force, she threw the other bandit on the other side to block the other attack of the enemy. There were five of them! Yujin thought there were no back-ups but she was fooled. She shouldn’t have lowered her guard.

 

She needed to be fast because Minjoo was there, and she was scared that if she didn’t take them all down immediately — they would get her. And so, the beast inside Yujin got unleashed.

 

With her devillious skill, Yujin started to move and swing her sword, catching the bandits off-guard. Her swordsmanship skills were mad! Even the bandits had never seen someone so fast and skilled with a sword like that — Yujin handled the sword as if it was just a harmless toy.

 

Taking advantage of their surprise, Yujin hit the first one her sword could reach, slashing him through the throat then kicking the other one that was beside the other bandit. She then swiftly changed the position of the blade and pierced it into his stomach and turned around to grab the other one who was on her reach and placed him in front of her to use him as a shield to the attack the fourth one did.

 

Just like that, three of them were down. It shook the fourth one but he managed to put up a good sword fight. The sounds of blades clashing one another filled up Yujin’s ears, and the gliding of the sharp edges. Oh, she needed Yena to fix this afterwards.

 

The guy managed to hit her a few times, tearing her flesh on the arm, and leg but nothing serious. He was more skilled than the other ones so he must’ve trained for a long time but still, no match for Yujin who was just trying to spot a good opening.

 

Finally, Yujin saw the good timing, and used her foot to kick him away. Once he stumbled, Yujin used it to slash the sword across his chest.

 

She let out a breath, and there was when she realized the fifth one was missing. She had been too focused on taking out the other one that she did not even notice the last one disappearing.

 

And then, when she turned around — she saw the last bandit, standing a few meters away from her, an arrow aiming in her direction. But before she could even fully face him and comprehend, he drew the bowstring and shot her. Yujin wasn’t able to move quickly and the arrowhead went straight into the side of her stomach.

 

There was a burning pain in her lower body, and a sharp sting. Yujin could taste blood on her tongue but she wasn’t still fazed, adrenaline rush going through her.

 

She still went for it, moving at fast speed — she took out small blades out of her robes and threw it straight into the last bandit. He was also shocked, staying rooting in his place as blades pierced through his body. And before he could even do something, Yujin was already in front of him — her eyes wild and flaming in anger.

 

“You will be seeing your master and other ‘friends’ in hell soon. I’ll make sure of it.” Yujin growled, clutching his collar so he wouldn’t be able to run away, the tip of her sword hovering above his stomach already.

 

The bandit let out an ear-shattering scream when Yujin finally pushed her sword further until the blade was finally inside his insides. She even twisted her sword first before taking it out, and kicked his head before huffing a breath out.

 

She looked around the mess, she really had to ask Minister Kim to clean them out. A lot of people witnessed it too. Most of them were hiding inside the hanoks or ducking behind their stalls.

 

Yujin felt the sharp pain again in her side and saw the arrow pierced through her stomach. She bit her lower lip, and whined softly as she took off the arrow. It hurt as hell but it wasn’t the first time she got shot by an arrow like that. She checked the bloodied arrowhead to see if there was poison but there wasn’t. She sighed in relief. Now, she just had to get it stitched.

 

She then threw the arrow away with a wince. She immediately approached where she left Minjoo, staggering her way towards there as she clutched her bleeding stomach.

 

“Lady Kim,” She softly called once she was there. Minjoo looked at her, eyes teary. She probably saw a glimpse of what was happening or heard it, there was the same trauma in her eyes — Yujin’s heart broke into pieces.

 

“Yujin-ah,” Minjoo whispered, horrified to see that Yujin had cuts and looked very hurt. “D-Did you get hurt?” She gasped when she saw that the swordswoman was bleeding on her stomach. “Oh my! You’re bleeding!” She was panicking, going pale and frantic.

 

Yujin shook her head, “No, I’ll be alright.” She answered then checked out again. “It’s safe now. Let’s go home.” She offered her dusty hand. She noticed how dirty it was and was about to retrieve it when Minjoo held it tight, no matter how dirty it was.

 

It just showed that she trusted Yujin a lot.

 

Yujin helped Minjoo crawl out of the table, and Yujin held her close. Minjoo also stuck closer, clutching the front of the guard’s clothes, eyes alarmed. She kept looking at Yujin’s bleeding stomach.

 

She saw that Yujin kept wincing everytime she moved, and she was starting to go paler. “Wait,” Minjoo said and took out something from the inside of her robe. A cloth. She used it to press into Yujin’s bleeding wound to lessen the bleeding. Yujin grunted and coughed in pain but she was thankful.

 

Holding her close, Minjoo walked towards the horse that was outside of a meat shop as per Yujin’s instructions. The latter took out a pouch full of money then threw it at the roadside before saying, “To whoever owns this horse, just buy a new one with this money.” She shouted and told Minjoo to mount it first.

 

Minjoo did, and helped Yujin who was having a little bit of a hard time getting on but managed anyway.

 

Thankfully, the horse was calm and friendly, not minding if she was being ridden on by two strangers. And fortunately, Yujin had this ability to tame horses instantly by touching it, even the coldest and angry horse.

 

With that, Yujin tried to get Minjoo home as fast as possible. She had to report too and tell the others to clean up the mess that happened in the market — in broad daylight, too. Although it was usual for violence to happen, still, it was a horrifying incident. She was also bleeding a lot, and she was slowly getting light-headed. But still, she kept going on.

 

Yujin did not even notice that she was holding Minjoo very tightly and protectively, she was trembling, too. Minjoo noticed it, and just snuggled closer to Yujin, feeling a little bit safer now that she was this close to the woman. However, the maiden was still in panic as she helped to put pressure on the cloth to avoid bleeding excessively. It was helping but in this kind of rough journey, Minjoo was scared that Yujin was in great pain.

 

It was shown on Yujin’s face that there was pain, and Minjoo was very much in awe of her endurance. She gritted her teeth, a tear slipped past her eye. This was the cost of that good for nothing arranged marriage. She was risking other people’s lives.

 

Yujin did not even realize how hurt she was. Minjoo’s life was indeed in danger and she might get killed any time of the day. Yujin was so scared that she might fail to protect this woman. She couldn’t afford to fail. Fear just struck her instead of pain.

 

They managed to reach the estate soon, and they all flocked to greet their lady but all gasped in surprise and horror when they saw that their miss was painted with Yujin’s blood. And they became even more frantic upon seeing the guard who was bleeding and in great pain.

 

“Help her! Get the doctors, scram you all!” Minjoo yelled at the top of her lungs as she slowly unmounted the horse then helped Yujin.

 

The guard grunted in pain but laughed breathlessly after as she leaned against Minjoo for support, “Don’t be too hot-headed, Lady Kim. I’ll live.” She whispered.

 

“Hold it, Yujin. Help is on the way.” Minjoo whispered desperately, and Yujin nodded weakly, and smiled reassuringly.

 

Some servants helped Yujin because Minjoo couldn’t help her alone. They dragged the woman, and they were greeted by Minister Kim halfway, he was very shocked upon seeing Yujin but the latter just smiled and lowered her head a little to the Minister as a sign of respect.

 

“Minister Kim,” Yujin called, and gave him a toothy grin. A proud one. “This lowly guard protected your daughter with all that she could. Please clean up the mess in the public market for me. Also, please take Minjoo to the bath and wash my blood off her skin and clothes.” Her voice trailed off.

 

And after saying that, she fainted in Minjoo’s arms.

 

///

 

Yujin lived, of course. She would never die. Not in that kind of little situation. Actually, after a few days, she could already move around and surprisingly, her wound healed pretty quickly. Thanks to the expensive herbal medicine too, her recovery sped up.

 

Every single day, Minjoo would visit her, looking very guilty but she had never mentioned anything. She took care of her, even cleaning her wounds.

 

And everyday, Yujin would reassure her. “It was nothing, really. Nothing I can handle.” However, Minjoo was still feeling guilty and sad over it.

 

Until Yujin had finally recovered well, Minjoo stuck by her side to attend to some of her needs. It didn’t take long.

 

After that, Minjoo suddenly shut herself again in her chamber. She refused to go out and eat, even her sisters couldn’t make her go out. When Minjoo was regaining her brightness again, a storm befell once again. Yujin was very guilty even though she successfully did her job.

 

It had been a few weeks since the incident and Yujin was dead worried. She herself had to bring Minjoo’s food in because she would throw a fit if it was a servant and would ignore the food if it was her sisters or parents.

 

“Lady Kim,” She softly called, holding a golden tray full of newly made dishes. “I’ll go in.”

 

When she entered, Minjoo was sitting on her bed, staring at her window. She was only wearing her inner clothes but it was fine since Yujin was a woman. The latter just felt a little bit shy though.

 

“Come, eat.” Yujin softly encouraged and Minjoo glanced at her, sighing then hugged her knees. The guard took a deep breath and tried again, “Minjoo.” And the maiden froze at the call, “You should eat, do you want me to feed you?”

 

Minjoo weakly shook her head and finally faced her, cheeks flushed. “I’m no infant.” She whispered and started to lazily nibble on her meat.

 

Yujin stared at her, worried. Minjoo had gotten thin already. Things were really getting into her. Even though Minjoo was fierce, independent, and tough — she was still a fragile craft that should be held dearly because if she ever fell, she would break very badly.

 

“The Crown Prince sent you a letter.” Yujin announced, then showed an envelope sealed with wax with Sungchan’s signature stamp. She placed it on the table beside Minjoo’s bed but the latter looked very disinterested.

 

“You’ve gotten thinner,” murmured Yujin sadly, eyes downcast.

 

For the past few months, they have really gotten closer. They were already in the line of ‘friends’. So, Yujin was allowed to worry as hell. Their conversation was always casual.

 

Minjoo noticed Yujin’s sadness, and gritted her teeth, staring at the food. Without thinking much, she started to eat. Her servings were her usual, and she always failed to eat them all especially these past few days but she inhaled them all — thinking that this might cheer up Yujin a bit and make her less worried, and it did.

 

Yujin watched her, amused, the corner of her lips tugging upwards. She continued to watch the lady silently as the latter ate all of the food that was served, determined to not leave even a single grain of rice.

 

“Happy?” Minjoo asked after she gave Yujin the tray full of empty bowls.

 

Yujin chuckled, “Ecstatic.”

 

Minjoo sighed and looked at her, “How’s your wound?” asked the maiden.

 

Yujin smiled and showed her where the wound was, it was perfectly stitched up, and was healing cleanly. “All good.”

 

Another week had passed like that. Minjoo’s condition did not go even better and even had the palace doctor check on her because she was having nightmares again. Yujin couldn’t even sleep well because she would always hear Minjoo’s terrified screams and scared sobs outside. She was also the one who kept waking the maiden up from her nightmares, and would soothe her.

 

It had been hellish for Yujin too.

 

Yujin was guarding in front of Minjoo’s room, already dozing off as she leaned against the wall but suddenly, there was a shrill cry coming from inside so the guard sprang up and entered the room immediately, shaking Minjoo up — the drowsiness that was present in her system was long gone after hearing Minjoo’s terrified screech.

 

“Minjoo, hey, hey. Lady Kim, wake up…” Yujin exclaimed, and tried to hold Minjoo down who was thrashing on her bed. Soon after, Minjoo finally fluttered her eyes open with a gasp and held onto Yujin tightly.

 

The taller woman scooped Minjoo into a warm, comforting embrace. “It’s okay. It’s another nightmare, it’s not real.” She tried to coo, and patted Minjoo’s back in a comforting manner.

 

Minjoo did not reply and just calmed herself down before laying on her bed again, Yujin tucked her as if she was her child.

 

Yujin was about to blow the fire off and go out so Minjoo could rest again when suddenly, she felt a tug on her robe. It was Minjoo who was looking at her with her sparkling doe eyes.

 

“Can you… stay?” Minjoo pleaded, and Yujin felt her heart get pricked by a needle.

 

Minjoo looked so vulnerable. The beautiful bird was starting to grow weaker and weaker the longer she was imprisoned by people who thought it was the best if she would stay around and never use her wings to fly freely.

 

Yujin couldn’t refuse, her chest was hurting and heavy. “I will,” mumbled the woman, and added, “For as long as you want.”

 

Minjoo gave her a small smile, her dry and pale lips stretching. “Until sunrise, Yujin.” She whispered and slowly closed her eyes, trying to sleep.

 

So, Yujin did, sitting on the corner of Minjoo’s bed. She clutched her sword very close to her, and kept glancing at Minjoo until the lady had finally fallen back to sleep again.

 

A little while after, there were familiar footsteps approaching but Yujin still prepared her sword. The doors opened slightly and a head peeked in, their eyes met, it was Garam.

 

“Is… unnie okay? Did she have a nightmare again?” She asked timidly, worried.

 

Yujin nodded, giving her a tired smile. “She did, unfortunately,” She replied. “Don’t worry Youngest Lady Kim. I’ll keep an eye on your older sister.”

 

Garam nodded slightly and went back to her room, soon after, Ning followed. “Are you sure? You should sleep, Yujin-ah.” Yujin blatantly refused and assured the second eldest that she would be alright.

 

Unsurprisingly, Sullyoon checked too.

 

Yujin glanced at Minjoo, she really did have very caring younger sisters. They all loved each other genuinely. It was just a shame that they were born from a very filthy rich family. It had its downfall too, being too wealthy.

 

That same reason made everything hard for Minjoo. She wanted freedom but…

 

Yujin could only sigh. Maybe in Lady Kim’s next life, she would be born under a simple family where she could be free and happy at the same time.

 

Three days later, Yujin was guarding the front of Minjoo’s chamber again, trying her best not to fall asleep. She had been sleep-deprived these past few weeks already because she had been constantly guarding Minjoo. She refused to be switched to Chaeyeon or any guard, she would only switch if she really needed to relieve herself or was summoned by her father to the main palace but aside from that, she refused.

 

She was dozing off again when she heard and felt a slight thud inside the room. She was alert, holding her breath, and focusing on what might be it. Silence after that thud and slight vibration she felt on her feet.

 

But still, out of concern, Yujin faced the doors. “Minjoo, everything’s alright?” It was past midnight already and she thought the woman might be having nightmares again but oddly, there was no scream or anything.

 

Silence. Very odd silence.

 

Normal guards would just shrug and continue their duty but Yujin wasn’t an average one. She felt something was missing, and she couldn’t even sense any presence or breathing inside the room, so, without thinking of it much — she shouted, “Minjoo! I’m coming in!” And barged the door open.

 

There wasn’t any figure on the bed or behind the partition screens. She couldn’t simply feel any presence inside. Her heart dropped, especially when she spotted that the windows were wide open.

 

Yujin immediately ran towards the opened window, her frantic eyes roaming around the estate yard, and there she spotted a familiar figure running with all her might towards one of the walls, trying to climb there desperately. The guard’s breath hitched, and swiftly leaped out of the window — landing on the ground easily before running towards that direction.

 

Minjoo was trying to climb the high wall, despite its roughness, and the rocky texture bruising her hand — she kept climbing with determination and desperation. She had nothing with her; gold, valuable accessories. She was just in her silk robe, and the thought of running away would be better, to be roaming free around the world rather than being caged inside.

 

However, when she climbing, an arm was wrapped around her waist — preventing her from moving. Minjoo did not even notice her, wincing. Of course, Yujin wasn’t an ordinary one but… she thought that it might take a while for her to realize that something was off. She underestimated her.

 

“Lady Kim, don’t,” Yujin’s voice entered her ears, making her shiver. Her whole body went tense. “Minjoo. Let’s climb back down and talk about it.”

 

Minjoo did not move, still determined to get out of here as her lips quivered. She managed to open and found her voice after a moment, “Let me go, Yujin. Let me be.” She silently whispered, pleading — begging.

 

Yujin’s arm around Minjoo’s slim waist tightened, she did not say anything and just rested her head on the side of the maiden’s hip. “Let’s go back to your room, Minjoo. The guards will be approaching this area soon to do their rounds. You might get in trouble again…” She answered instead.

 

With her lips quivering, Minjoo roared, “Don’t you get it!?” Yujin flinched, feeling intimidated by Minjoo for the first time but her hold did not loosen at all. The maiden’s fierce voice echoed around the empty courtyard. “Don’t you get it that if I stay, I’ll get my freedom taken away fully? I do not want to be a royal.” She whispered, her voice cracked. “I might go insane if I stay here.”

 

Yujin did not say anything, and sighed heavily. “But you’ll get killed if you’re out there, Minjoo.” She said, biting her tongue after.

 

Minjoo inhaled sharply at that fact, “I know. But I’ll try my luck. I’ll change my appearance, I’ll run away from the capital.”

 

Yujin nibbled on her lower lip, “Before you can even escape the capital, soldiers will manage to catch you already. You’re playing with the King and the Crown Prince, Minjoo. You’ll lose either way.” Even though it pained Yujin to say that, she had to convince Minjoo down. “This way, we’ll be able to keep you safe.”

 

Minjoo shook her head, turning to her with her bloodshot eyes. “My life was way more peaceful until that… Crown Prince of yours suddenly fell in love at first sight in my beauty!” She yelled, “It would be better if I run away, get myself killed if I’m too unlucky to serve as a lesson to them! This will teach my father a lesson! So, he will live with guilt and won’t let my sisters go down this kind of path I’ve been forced to walk on.”

 

The guard was silent for a few moments, her chest heaving heavily. Minjoo was also silently sobbing, catching her breath after that. She then started to murmur, “And you might lose your life if you keep protecting me, Ahn Yujin. You already almost died while in the process of trying to protect me! I don’t want people who I consider important in my life to die because of me.”

 

“That’s my duty!” Yujin replied back to Minjoo with a raised voice, taking a deep breath before continuing. “To risk my life, to die in exchange for your utmost safety!”

 

“This… this is more than a job for me, Minjoo.” Yujin continued to murmur against the maiden, “Especially that I also consider you as one of the most important people in my life. You’re a friend, Lady Kim. And I will protect you and take care of you until my very last breath. I’m willing to gamble my life and death.”

 

Minjoo was mum, her grip on the wall loosening as her palms burned, her energy started to wear out after all of those running and shouting. Yujin mostly supported her weight by holding her from behind.

 

“I know that you crave for freedom, you don’t want to be caged, you want to fly around like a free bird. Like me. But this world is cruel, Minjoo. Let’s accept that fact now.” Yujin said, and gulped. She knew she had to discourage Minjoo, she had to — even if she wanted to throw up knowing she was saying absolute craps. As much as she wanted to set Minjoo free, it was not up to her. “Your sisters need you, Minjoo. They’ll be sad if they ever learn that you left, just like that.”

 

There was a pregnant silence, and the crickets could only be heard. Some fireflies were floating around too, as if they were circling Minjoo and Yujin, watching them amusedly. The moon was full that night, and it felt like it was also staring down at the both of them, waiting for their next exchange.

 

Soon enough, a chuckle could be heard from Minjoo. “Are you saying that I should embrace my fate, Yujin?” She whispered.

 

Yujin bit her lower lip, hard enough that it almost drew blood. “Yes,” She said plainly, sounding forced. “Because running away from your fate won’t do any good, Minjoo. Not in this kind of situation, you can’t escape.” She whispered, and immediately added, “But I’ll be here. I’ll stay by your side for as long as you want.”

 

With that, Minjoo conceded, feeling defeated once again. She let Yujin put her carefully on her feet because she was barefoot. Yujin sighed softly, “You shouldn’t be walking around without footwear.” She said, and caged Minjoo into a warm, tight embrace.

 

Minjoo just melted into the hug, feeling tired. She stayed still, her feet on top of Yujin’s. “I hope you mean all those words,” The lady whispered against her chest, and Yujin slightly the former’s hair — it was silky, long, and soft as expected. Well-taken care of. “That I’m important to you, and that you will stay beside me for as long as I want because they’re the only things I will hold onto. I hope they’re genuine, and not because it’s your job to stop me from running away from this hellhole.”

 

Yujin chuckled, and pressed a light kiss on Minjoo’s crown. She did not even notice her action, it felt almost natural — as if it was a need, a need to plant a kiss on Minjoo. “I mean them. I mean them genuinely, Minjoo.” She murmured, hugging the lady even tighter.

 

Minjoo was frozen and taken aback at what happened but she didn’t feel bothered, instead it was oddly comforting. For Yujin, her mother always did that to her when she was feeling extremely sad or upset, and it was very effective — unknowingly, she did the same to Minjoo out of instinct.

 

They held each other like that for a few minutes until Yujin heard some footsteps of the guards approaching but before they could even see them — the guard had already sneaked Minjoo back inside her room and slept on the floor again, beside Minjoo. They talked about things until the both of them went into their respective dreamland.

 

///

 

After that incident, it wasn’t surprising that they became closer with one another. They became even more comfortable, to the point Minjoo did not mind touching Yujin’s hand to drag her to the garden or kitchen — hug her out of the blue, and cling onto her arm whenever they walked around the mini lake behind their estate or whenever she was whining or if she wanted something for Yujin.

 

And the guard had a hard time getting used to it before but as days, weeks, and months passed by, she got very comfortable with it. She knew that the Eldest Kim sister was a clingy one, especially to her sisters. But Minjoo warmed up to her while Yujin had a very hard time adjusting to the lady’s clinginess.

 

Even to her handmaidens, she was never that clingy so Yeji, and Minjeong, the other one — were surprised whenever they would follow their lady and saw her clinging to the tall, mysterious guard.

 

Months had already passed after what happened that night and autumn finally came. After the incident, Minjoo never brought it up, and Yujin did not, also. The two of them mostly spent their time in the estate, sometimes at the palace garden if Minjoo wanted to be in a new environment. She sometimes got sick of the view in the estate already. The King permitted Yujin to take Minjoo around the palace, he didn’t mind — even ecstatic that Minjoo’s condition was starting to be better.

 

Sometimes, Yujin would take Minjoo to Yuri and Jiwon’s workplace to keep the lady entertained. They all bonded really well, and after a few meetings, they were already bickering, especially Yuri and Minjoo. There were a few times that Yujin brought Minjoo to Yena’s hut to introduce them to one another.

 

Yujin even showed her metalsmithing skills which left Minjoo in awe. The maiden even almost burned herself because she was excited to see a scalding hot iron and was about to touch it out of reflex. Thankfully, Yujin had a faster reflex. Aside from that, they would just roam around the spacious palace then go home.

 

They were mostly in the pavilion, with Minjoo doing her usual stuff like painting, writing, playing instruments — while Yujin would observe her at the side quietly, and would only come up to her whenever Minjoo ordered her to.

 

To pass time, Minjoo would sometimes teach Yujin how to paint or play instruments but she was just really bad at it. But still, it was still fun and it made them spend time happily and peacefully. The lady also wanted to train swordsmanship from Yujin.

 

It was hard to get Minister Kim’s permission because swordsmanship was really uncommon for women but when he realized this might help Minjoo in the field of self-defense — he allowed minimal training only, and would be kept as a secret because people might judge Minjoo and the whole family if they ever learned that Minjoo was doing ungraceful things.

 

The first few sessions were very… difficult. Minjoo had no experience of holding a sword and her arms were weak and wobbly. Her grip on the hwando was very unstable, and she was really a lost cause. So, Yujin then made Minjoo try archery and bullseye, the latter had a little talent.

 

Minjoo’s eyes were sharp and clear so even though she had never drawn a bow before — she managed to hit the target at her first try. She had a potential in archery so they stuck to that. Even Minjoo herself started to love it.

 

Because of this, the other sisters wanted to learn how to draw a bow too, Garam wanted to learn how to use swords though but Minister Kim and the Kim matriarch did not allow them.

 

Archery became another time-killer.

 

“Should we practice archery later?” Minjoo asked Yujin, who was sitting beside her.

 

They were in the pavilion as usual, and the weather was cool, and bright. Just perfect. They were the only ones present there because the servants were needed inside the estate. There was a feast that was going to be held tomorrow so they were flocking around and busy. It was better since they always loved to watch Yujin and Minjoo creepily sometimes and it bothered the guard a lot.

 

Minjoo was writing something, a poem, while Yujin was just doodling random characters on a piece of scroll with her brush. “Should we? Didn’t you complain about your strained muscles just yesterday?” She replied.

 

The lady snorted, and placed her brush away, then faced Yujin without saying anything. She had been staring at Yujin for quite a few times already, and it was making the latter feel a little bit off. “What’s wrong? Is there something on my face?” She finally asked.

 

Minjoo shook her head, scratching her chin. “I just realized I’ve never seen you wear your hair down. Always the usual bun or that, hair tied up with your side bangs.” She whispered, observing Yujin, and the latter was fazed, getting conscious of her looks suddenly. “I mean, you look good in that kind of style but…” She started to murmur to herself.

 

Huh, Minjoo was very random and blunt. And Yujin couldn’t take compliments well. Sure, she did know that she was… attractive, alright, she had some looks thanks to her beautiful mother but… unlike Minjoo’s delicate and sharp features, Yujin’s features were rough and prominent. She had few scars too on her face, on her forehead, on the bridge of her nose, across her brow, and right cheek.

 

Even though Yujin knew that looks weren’t that important, under Minjoo’s heavy gaze — she suddenly felt so conscious of what she looked.

 

“It’s much more… refreshing and convenient for me. Sometimes, my eyesight will get blocked by my long hair, and we don’t want that, don’t we?” Yujin replied with a chuckle, fiddling with the dry tips of her hair. She realized how rough and dry it was compared to Minjoo’s. But then, she never cared about feminine stuff. Although she was very hygienic. Her appearance was gruff and full of scars which was fitting for a swordswoman.

 

Minjoo still kept staring at her, and Yujin uncomfortably shifted on the cushion.

 

“Can you… take your tie off?” The maiden requested, saying those words carefully.

 

Yujin was a little bit dumbfounded at first but she did it anyway, she took off the tie and headband, and let her hair fall past her shoulders. It was slightly long now, the last time she had cut it off was months ago. She combed it hastily so it would look much better.

 

When she met eyes with Minjoo, the latter was frozen in shock — just openly gaping at her, mouth slightly ajar that confused Yujin a little bit. Now, she felt rather insecure because she thought Minjoo was shocked by her ugliness but it was actually the opposite. “There, Lady Kim,” She said, lowering her head.

 

“You… you,” Minjoo was at a loss for words. And Yujin slightly puckered her lips, thinking that the maiden was stammering because she couldn’t take in Yujin’s ungraceful looks but…

 

“You’re so beautiful, Yujin.” Minjoo murmured, in a daze as she stared at the guard lovingly with her doe eyes that were twinkling fondly.

 

Yujin was also taken aback at the sudden compliment, gaping at Minjoo back. She couldn’t believe that Minjoo called her… beautiful, despite her manly appearance. And to be honest, it triggered something in her chest — a warm feeling spreading in her existence like wildfire.

 

Minjoo scooted closer, kneeling so she was a little bit taller than her now, and Yujin swore her heart halted beating for a moment as she looked up at Minjoo’s eyes, not averting her gaze at all. There was just something that she couldn’t pinpoint, that even though she was nervous as hell, she had to stare back.

 

“You’re very beautiful, do you know that? Your feminine appeal just got covered by your job and style but… you’re very exquisite, Yujin. I'm at a loss of words.” Minjoo started to blabber, reaching her hand out to fix Yujin’s long hair — letting the strands glide along her palm.

 

Yujin did not move or say anything, just silently observing. Her eyes lowered from Minjoo’s eyes to her nose — what a perfect nose, indeed. So sharp and tall. She was getting so distracted that she did not even realize that Minjoo was starting to her hair, and tucking the strand behind her ear.

 

Her gaze then lowered again unknowingly, and she stared at Minjoo’s pink, luscious lips. Getting hypnotized on how it moved whenever she would spout out another batch of compliments for her. Oh, that pair of lips, people would kill thousands so they could just… kiss it.

 

She only snapped back in reality when Minjoo took out something from her robe, and then did something on her hair. Minjoo leaned back a little to check her fully, a smile blooming on her lips that almost distracted Yujin again.

 

“Pretty,” Minjoo murmured, looking satisfied at her work, eyes turning into crescents.

 

She had just clipped a hair pin on the side of Yujin’s head. And it looked absolutely perfect for her. There was a butterfly design on it. It was really cute and pretty.

 

Yujin blinked, confused, then used her hand to reach for the accessory that was attached to her hair. With the craft, the other side of her hair wasn’t going past through her hair whenever she moved which was alright. “Hair pin?” She asked.

 

Minjoo nodded, “It was the hairpin I bought the first time we went out, remember?” She said, and Yujin just hummed, of course — she had a very sharp memory after all. “It doesn’t fit me but whenever I look at it, somehow, I keep picturing you wearing it. And wow, you do look extra prettier with it.”

 

Yujin’s whole face went red, she couldn’t handle the shyness so she was about to take the hairpin away and tie her hair up again when Minjoo noticed what she was about to do. The maiden immediately scooped her jaw, making her turn to her, their eyes met again. Chocolate orbs met pools of sweet, warm honey.

 

“Do not take it off yet, I’m still admiring you.” Minjoo whispered, and Yujin’s hand that was about to take the hairpin off slowly lowered down until it was resting on the clean wooden floor of the pavilion.

 

Shivers ran down through Yujin’s spine as Minjoo’s fingertips started to caress the scars that were scattered permanently on her face — she traced them lovingly. “L-Lady Kim,” She wasn’t used to this kind of proximity, and her heart was beating like crazy, and there was this… sensation in her stomach, as if there were butterflies raging inside of them.

 

The feeling was unfamiliar and Yujin was freaking out internally.

 

“They must’ve hurt a lot before,” Minjoo whispered, and her tone lingered with sadness. “I’ve never had any scar…”

 

And that alone somehow struck them both on how different they were but still, despite the differences, they just kept shuffling closer and closer to each other.

 

A noble woman, and a swordswoman.

 

There were sparks, all of a sudden. They felt it. Both of them.

 

As if Minjoo got burned, she retreated her hands away then sat back properly on her seat while clearing . Yujin suddenly missed the delicate feather-like touches on her skin already, she also looked away.

 

Neither spoke throughout until Ning suddenly appeared, joining them in with a bright smile, chirping a compliment at Yujin when she saw the latter’s new look — she was pleasantly surprised. But she was oblivious at the sudden awkward tension between the two, just blabbering about her etiquette class.

 

///

 

A/N: anddd here’s the next chapter! i hope you guys enjoyed it :P because the last one is going to be a little heavier but trust y’alls hearts to me ;] by the way, this story reached a whooping 46k words so… damn. i also realized i'm still bad at narrating action scenes. anyway, sorry for the mistakes again! i hope you guys will comment down your thoughts. upvotes are well-appreciated too. let’s meet tomorrow with the last chapter!