first // it's fate to meet you.

embrace your fate

 

Joseon Dynasty, Year 1526

King Shinjong’s reign, Year Eleventh

 

It was a lovely day. The skies were clear bright blue, clouds were dusting the skies. The sun was up and blazing hot, not too hot to the point one would want to throw their own clothes away and take a dip in the cool river for hours. No one could really afford to do that, especially the palace maids who kept running back and forth around the wide corridors of the main palace to serve and the palace guards who kept running back and forth into the main palace to see if the place was fully secured and protected.

 

They were rustling and busy, it was a usual occurrence in the palace where the royal family lives. However, everything was more hectic and busier than usual in the wide, marvellous palace where every peasant wanted to go and stay at. And that was because there were visitors, and there would be an important meeting.

 

Yi Iljin, or most known as King Shinjong, the current King of the kingdom — surprised the Minister of Public Works when he asked for his presence at the palace immediately. It was so sudden, that the nosy palace maids almost spread rumors that there might be a war but then, all of them were relieved upon seeing the arrival of the beautiful daughters of the said minister.

 

His Majesty specifically asked for Minister Kim to bring his daughters along. And everyone already took the hint that there might be something special that would happen soon. The palace maids were all ecstatic, creating gossip of their own. As they worked in the kitchen, wiped the expensive wooden floors clean, sweeped the courtyard — they chatted in a chirpy tone.

 

They were even more delighted when His Majesty summoned all of his children to be at the palace all at once; the princes, and princesses. There might be a huge announcement soon. The palace maids, especially the aunties were all excited and worked hard twice under the warm weather without a complaint lingering in their minds. Just happy enough to know that something was brewing inside the palace.

 

King Shinjong was getting dressed by the palace maids when one of his most trusted guards entered his chamber after getting his permission. The bulky guard gave his courtesy first, bowing to the King himself, “This lowly guard greets your Majesty,” He greeted politely. “I’m here to report that all of the princes and princesses that are within the capital’s range are already present with the Minister and his family at the table.” The guard then paused, glancing at him hesitantly.

 

Sighing deeply through his nose, Shinjong nodded a little bit. “You still have something to say. Continue.” He commanded in a strict, stern voice that could make one tremble as he remained still while the palace maids carefully fixed his royal attire. A red robe with huge embroidered dragon emblems on it.

 

The guard cleared his throat then continued to say, “Unfortunately, Your Majesty, we can’t find Princess Yujin.” He murmured, biting his lower lip as he glanced at the King before tipping his jeonrip down a bit to turn his gaze away.

 

His Majesty was silent for a while, the rustling of the fabric being properly arranged and the pitter patter of the palace maids who were working on the King were the only sounds that could be heard around the huge chamber.

 

“I want the third daughter to be present as well,” said the King with his authoritative baritone voice. “If you need to turn the palace upside down to find her, then do it. I want her there before I sit on my throne and start the meeting.” He ordered firmly.

 

The guard nodded respectfully and bowed deeply, “Understood, Your Majesty!” He yelled before running out of the chamber.

 

Once he was out of his sight, Shinjong could only just sigh in his heart. “That troublesome daughter,” He thought.

 

But unsurprisingly, when he reached the grand hall, his third daughter wasn’t there. Between his second daughter and the Second Princess, Gaeul and Fifth Prince, Jisung — there was a space that was for Yujin. The lowly guard could just tremble in his spot as he muttered that the batch couldn’t find them.

 

Useless.

 

However, he did not lash out because there were present visitors at the moment so all he could do was to compose himself then continued on without Yujin. He specifically instructed the guards that if they ever see Yujin, tell her to go to him immediately.

 

In the same palace, Yujin was taking a nap at one of the huge branches of the trees at the back. The wind whistled gently, and once her sensitive ears perked, hearing no more light footsteps around the area — she slowly fluttered her eyes open and took a deep breath, lifting her weight away from the tree where she was leaning and sat properly, dangling her foot while she bent the other one then rested her chin on her knee.

 

“Minister Kim and his daughters, huh?” Yujin whispered to herself, and clicked her tongue. “I do not want to witness such a boring session of a power-hungry man trying to sell his ‘best’ daughter to the King.” continued the woman, and scratched her nape.

 

She stayed for a while, humming along the wind before taking her hwando with her then jumped off from the tree, landing on her feet smoothly as if she did not just leap from a very far height.

 

Yujin then stealthily made her way towards one of the thick walls, smoothly climbing then leaped over to the other side; landing on her feet without even a sound. She entered an open window which shocked the person inside who was working on her dough peacefully.

 

“You scared me again, Yujin.” Jiwon exclaimed, patting her chest as she threw a glare at Yujin who just nonchalantly made her way to the table with a basket full of freshly baked bread on top of it. She took one, biting on it.

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes, rolling the sleeves of her hanbok up to her elbows again before continuing to knead. “Yuri will kill you once she learns that you stole her bread again, your Highness.” She said, expertly kneading the dough that she was working on.

 

Yujin chuckled at that, “She can’t get me,” She answered then took another bite before leaning against the table where Jiwon was kneading. The latter sprinkled some flour in her direction to , dusting Yujin’s dark robes a little but paid no mind to it and gave the younger woman a grin. “And stop with that formal title, I get goosebumps.” She nagged, faking a shivering gesture.

 

Jiwon just pouted at her, giving her a glance but said nothing. Yujin swallowed the piece of bread before speaking, “Did you receive a letter from Wonyoung? It’s been a while. Should I pay a visit?”

 

The baker snorted at her, snickering a bit. “Nope, not yet. But I’m sure Wonyoung is fine. Don’t sneak out again. I heard from the palace guards that His Majesty is summoning you today in the main palace.” She replied before checking the other batch of bread that was being baked at the woodfire oven.

 

Yujin shrugged and said, “I know.”

 

Jiwon looked at her pointedly. “Then you should go and show your face.”

 

The third princess snorted as a response, diverting her gaze away. She intently eyed the batch of dough resting at the side. “I feel very uncomfortable there. I do not belong there.” She whispered, and then glanced down at herself. “And they will surely force me to wear those… glamorous palace dresses I loathe.”

 

Jiwon was about to speak when another voice replied from the other side. “Other girls will willingly kill someone just so they can wear those glamorous hanboks that you loathe, Yujin.”

 

Yujin and Jiwon looked at the owner of the voice and saw another woman dressed in normal but wrinkled hanbok while dragging a sack of flour. She placed the sack at the side, letting it rest on the wall before throwing a death glare at the third daughter of the King.

 

“Your Highness, pleased to meet you here again in the dirty kitchen.” Yuri greeted with a mocking formal tone, “Even though you’re the Third Princess, I cannot let you pass for stealing my bread.” She pointed out, then tried to take the bread that Yujin was eating but failed.

 

“Palace attire . They bad.” Yujin answered, then took another bite. “They won’t even let me tie my hair up. They said it’s disgraceful. Only braids are allowed for some reason.” She grimaced then shook her head.

 

Yuri shrugged, “You know the nobles.” She said, and started to help Yujin. “You’ve been living in this palace for more than seven years already yet you’re still not used to their rules and lifestyle.” added Yuri.

 

Yujin narrowed her gaze and a sigh escaped her lips, her hold around her sheathed sword tightening a little bit. “Because I did not grow up here, because I don’t like it here, because I do not belong here.” She murmured naturally as if she said it a lot of times already.

 

Jiwon felt a little pity for her friend, “But unfortunately, you’re King Shinjong’s daughter.” She pointed out silently.

 

Yujin snorted, “Illegitimate daughter. I certainly am not for royalty.” She fired back then grabbed the handle of the hwando, lightly drawing the blade from its cover — the sharp metal shining. She continued to sheathe and draw the sword ightly out of boredom.

 

Yuri turned to Yujin, throwing a small piece of dough towards her direction. Yujin swiftly blocked it with her sword, smiling at her friends. “Even the Eldest Prince is ‘illegitimate’ as he was born from a concubine. Only the Crown Prince and Fourth Princess are the legitimate children of His Majesty with the late Queen.” She said, trying to make Yujin feel a little bit better.

 

Shrugging, Yujin shook her head to dismiss the idea. “At least they were all born from official concubines. His Majesty just impregnated my mother who was one of his spies. I’m the outcast and odd one.” Yujin replied and the two palace maids were about to say something when the third princess just sighed then waved her hand.

 

“I’ll just go to Yena. I think my sword’s blade isn’t sharp anymore. If the guards are looking for me again, tell them you did not spot me as usual.” Yujin bid her goodbye, and jumped out of the window swiftly before Yuri or Jiwon could stop her and bid their own goodbyes. They could only watch Yujin run off stealthily and glance at each other with sad looks on their faces.

 

As Yujin ran to the workshop while making sure no one spotted her along the way, she couldn’t help but to think about the past again.

 

She did not grow up in the Main Palace at all. She didn’t even know that there was a blood of royalty running down through her veins until seven years ago when the King himself paid her and her mother a visit at their residence at the outskirts of the capital.

 

Yujin grew up on the peaceful outskirts with her mother who was a blacksmith. Her mother was a former swordswoman and served in the main palace as a spy that would ensure the King’s (who was still a Crown Prince by then) safety. Until he got her pregnant nineteen years ago even though he was already married with his consort and had a lot of concubines with him.

 

The Great King Gunjong was enraged upon learning what happened and immediately ordered for her mother to go live far away from the palace, offering her enough money for her to live nicely with her still unborn kid.

 

Ahn Yujin was born with a natural talent for using swords like her deceased mother. At the age of five, she could already perfectly swing swords and use daggers to kill sheeps and pigs. Yujin knew that from the very start, swordsmanship was for her. Her soulmate was a sword. From then on, she also fell in love with metalsmithing and learned how to make different kinds of weapons — especially hwandos.

 

At the age of nine, Yujin was a swordsmanship prodigy, could perfectly forge a sword, and was incredibly talented in martial arts that not even an experienced palace guard could even stand a chance against her. She was smart, skilled, and strong.

 

Her mother, Ahn Yuhee, raised her properly, giving her enough love and discipline despite having no father figure present. She did her best so Yujin could live peacefully and taught her how to protect herself until she died because of an illness at the age of thirty-seven.

 

When her mother died, Yujin’s world shifted for the worse. Her mother was her whole world, her only family — although she had friends like Jiwon, Yuri, Wonyoung, and Yena, and the neighbors treated them nicely, her mother’s death was a huge blow. She was lost.

 

And she even became more lost when His Majesty, King Shinjong himself showed at her house’s doorsteps one night in her mother’s last day of funeral wake. Then introduced himself as her father.

 

He said he did love Yuhee dearly but until now, Yujin did not believe it. Even though he witnessed how the powerful King weeped in front of her deceased mother’s cold corpse openly in her presence that night. After the burial, the King took Yujin into the palace and made her live there without even asking Yujin.

 

Yujin hated it with all her heart. The life of royalty. It was too extravagant, it was glamorous but it was… cold and eerie, full of two-faced rascals who were ready to kill each other for power and the throne. A hell disguised as heaven. Yujin was not for it.

 

Although her half-sisters and the Crown Prince were nice to her, and she had a nice bond with them — it still felt she did not belong there. She hated the palace dresses, the high ceilings, the etiquettes, the strict rules, the expensive meats, the wide space, the golds, the palace maids and guards that kept following and serving her around like she couldn’t do things herself — oh, Yujin hated the noble life.

 

Yujin was born to swing swords. To protect and not to be protected. To serve and not to be served. She had a rough life where she had to work and steal at some point so she could buy her mother some medicine — she couldn’t sit still in her glamorous hanbok, learn how to play gayageum and daegeum, be pretty, and eventually get married to a man that would control her life. She couldn’t stand the luxury that was a prison hidden beneath.

 

So, it wasn’t surprising that the third daughter of King Shinjong was an infamous troublemaker who always wanted things her own way. His Majesty tried to discipline her when she was new, trying to get her used to the royalty life but when he saw how stubborn Yujin was and that she loathed it so much — he let her, although not completely. He did not let Yujin flee from the palace.

 

Yujin rarely shows up to events like royal meetings, banquets, occasions, and other more. She would only show if she got caught by the guards and would tie her up. Or, whenever her sisters could convince her. Because of this reason, most people didn’t know her. The workers in the palace, even the ministers, hate her because she was very hard to handle.

 

The public dubbed her as the ‘Rascal Third Princess’ and Yujin actually loved it. At first, people really had a hard time acknowledging her position because the King just suddenly passed on a decree that Yujin was the official Third Princess seven years ago. There was a shift in the position to her younger half-siblings because of that.

 

No one wanted to acknowledge her because she was another one that might be a hindrance for them to take the throne but Yujin wasn’t really interested. Her title caused chaos. People, especially the court officials were enraged, and criticized the King because of his decree. It caused complications and it tainted the royal family’s name because Yujin’s mother wasn’t even a concubine.

 

However, the King just shrugged it off. He was trying to make it up to Yujin, saying that the title would make her life more comfortable and she would be protected by it. Yujin refused to think the same. After she got the title, it became more hell-ish for her. Aside from her sisters and Crown Prince — her other siblings were hostile towards her because she was more favored by the King despite being an outcast.

 

Her life in the palace was nothing but hell. She hated that suffocating prison.

 

She refused to wear proper dresses for princesses, and insisted on wearing dark robes, boots, and tied her long hair messily. Sometimes, people would mistake her as a man because of her tan skin and tall figure. And it was okay.

 

Rather than being in the palace learning etiquette and how to play instruments while she waited for a man to ask her hand for marriage — Yujin ride horses, practices her sword skills, metalsmithing in Yena’s hut, doing archery, improving her martial arts skills, and hide from the palace guards.

 

She sometimes sneaks out of the palace too to visit her old friends and neighbors that were not working inside the palace unlike Jiwon, Yuri, and Yena. She usually strolled around the capital too, and would sometimes take a dip in one of the lakes. She would disguise as a man while roaming around to avoid curious eyes whenever she passed by while riding her horse.

 

It was very uncommon to see a woman riding a horse around the capital, after all. People thought it was very unpleasant because unfortunately, in this era, women were still destined to do the household chores. Riding horses, forging weapons, and knowing how to use a sword, just all Yujin was doing — they were banned and considered unfeminine.

 

However, it was pretty normal to Yujin and people who thought it was a disgrace could go to hell. She was raised to do these and she would rather have that way instead of living greedily and glamorously in the palace. She loved what she was doing.

 

And now, she was there, still trying to live her life while being in that damned palace.

 

It was quite a sob story, right? Yujin snorted in her mind, and her heart felt like it was being pinched upon recalling her past. Once she reached the hut where Yena worked, the negative feelings vanished. She beamed at the sight of metal, iron, and swords.

 

Soon enough, Yujin started to forge without a thought, until she got drowned in her work. It was better. She was feeling better. Recalling things from the past just made her feel ty, especially whenever she remembered her lovely mother whom she missed so much.

 

Hours passed by smoothly, she was hammering down her craft when suddenly, she heard some footsteps. Familiar footsteps so she continued what she was doing. When the door swung open, she did not even flinch. She glanced upwards and was greeted by Yena’s unamused look.

 

“What’s up?” She greeted her casually.

 

Yena just clicked her tongue, crossed her arms. “Knew it, you’re here. His Majesty is summoning you. He’s going to say something important, it might seem.” She said, and then approached her closer.

 

Yena, Jiwon, and Yuri were her best friends alongside Wonyoung who was a daughter of a rich merchant and residing in the capital. Yujin was glad enough that her friends were here with her in the palace, working for the royal family. The King knew that Yujin would be so lonely so he brought them along and offered them jobs. The three immediately accepted because working in the palace’s grounds was a lot of money and it could help their families, much better out there. They were protected there too.

 

Jiwon and Yuri worked in the dirty kitchen while Yena was one of the blacksmiths in the palace that made weapons for the palace guards, she also worked in the stables, taking care of the horses. They made her stay here bearable.

 

Yujin did not speak. Yena just sighed, and pushed her away from the stool, trying to take her tools away from Yujin’s hold. “Come on now, Jingoo literally threatened me earlier!” Yena whined.

 

Yujin sighed and finally surrendered, she glanced at the window. The sun was almost out. Well then. If she wouldn’t show, the King might throw a fit and tie her up again.

 

She washed her dirty hands in the bucket, alongside her face. “Did you feed Mongchi?” She asked Yena and the latter nodded, pursing her lips as she rested her hand on her hips.

 

“Yes, I did. I never failed to feed your beloved steed.” Yena replied then sat on the stool.

 

Mongchi was her horse. His Majesty gave him to her when she turned thirteen as a gift. Yujin loved that horse a lot. She had this irreplaceable bond with Mongchi.

 

“Okay, good,” Yujin murmured, then got her sword, strapping it on her side before turning to Yena who was continuing to forge the work she started. She smiled a little bit. “I’ll see you around. Finish it for me.” She said, approaching Yena and gave her a pat on the shoulders.

 

Yena just hummed, continuing to smith. Yujin left the hut and hid in the shadows. She spotted some palace guards roaming around the palace grounds with torches to light and guide them. Yujin slyly avoided them. She sneakily went inside the palace without even no one noticing.

 

She just got caught by Auntie Midoh, one of the head palace maids, who was guarding her room, probably waiting for her. “Oooh, you troublesome kid, you finally showed up.” She nagged when she noticed her presence.

 

Yujin just sheepishly grinned at her. The head maid eyed her up and down, nose scrunching when she saw how dirty and disheveled Yujin looked. “His Majesty is waiting for you at his library! Wash up and dress in cleaner clothes before you show your stubborn self!” She said, and pushed her inside her room.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Yujin rolled her eyes playfully as she let the woman push her inside and help her prepare the clothes but before that, she took a bath first, scrubbing herself clean.

 

Auntie Midoh looked satisfied when she got out of the bath. “Now, you look much better. Like a princess!” She gushed then helped her wear clothes, not too glamorous nor girly but a little bit neater than her usual.

 

Yujin could only pout as the auntie styled her hair down, slapping her hand when she tried to tie it up. “Third Princess, you will be meeting His Highness the King! You should look presentable.” She nagged, and so, she let her.

 

Yujin did hate all the palace maids, especially the one who always loved to tail her but Auntie Midoh was an exception. This woman genuinely took care of her and wasn’t forceful.

 

When she was escorted to the library where the King was, Yujin did not let Auntie Midoh take her sword away from her. She refused to give her the sword, letting it be strapped on her waist.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin stood by the doors guarded by armed guards who were looking at her intently. “Third daughter greets your Majesty,” She said with a loud voice, enough for the King to hear her inside. Her voice did not waver.

 

“Come in, I’ve been waiting for you, Third Princess.” When she got the King’s permission, the guards opened the doors for her and she stepped inside, chin tilted up confidently.

 

She saw her father standing on one of the aisle, hands behind him. There was no one but him inside so it really seemed like he wanted to talk to her alone. She approached and showed her courtesy to the King.

 

“Where were you?” the King calmly asked, glancing down at her. He was still taller than her after all despite her tall height.

 

“I was napping at one of the trees in the palace, your Majesty.” Yujin said lamely.

 

Shinjong’s eyes narrowed at his daughter, heaving a deep sigh, shaking his head lightly. Yujin took a look at him, she realized that his beard was turning gray already.

 

No one spoke for a while, and the deafening silence was alright for Yujin. The King would usually scold her whenever she did not show up at important events and hid away but now, there was nothing. It was silent.

 

Yujin paid no mind and waited, playing with her fingers.

 

“Your brother is getting married soon,” He broke the eerie silence with that announcement.

 

Yujin looked at him, “Who? Juyeon?” She asked, trying to clarify. She did not care about Juyeon. That bastard was an arrogant piece of that wanted to kill Sungchan for the throne. He once asked Yujin for a hand to hand combat duel and embarrassingly lost.

 

“No,” The King clarified, “The Crown Prince Sungchan.”

 

“Oh.” Yujin exclaimed.

 

Well, wasn’t that a good thing? The court officials were already pestering the King to wed the Crown Prince to a gentle maiden already because he was already nineteen. However, Sungchan kept refusing stubbornly, and tried to look for the maiden that would capture his heart so the King let him find a woman for a while.

 

Unlike their older brothers, Sungchan was no womanizer and didn’t really have interest in marriage. He was quite romantic too and wanted to marry the one who he loves, and not marry some random woman for power. After all, he wanted to pick someone worthy to get the title of Queen Consort in the near future.

 

But it looked like someone caught his attention already?

 

“To whom, may I ask?” Yujin asked, a little bit curious.

 

The King faced her fully, staring at her straight in the eyes. “To Minister Kim’s eldest daughter. Sungchan wished to marry her after meeting her last week at a banquet.” He revealed.

 

Yujin snickered mentally, so that was why Minister Kim was summoned with his daughters along. But she was really happy for Sungchan. She was alright with her brother and the guy treated her as if she was a real sister. It had been a while since she met Sungchan so she was outdated. She was late to know that his heart had been captured by a beautiful maiden already.

 

She was glad. She would once she got the chance soon.

 

“That’s great. I’m sure that Minister Kim’s eldest daughter will be perfect for the Crown Prince. My brother has an ice stone heart and that maiden managed to melt it down so I’m sure she’s a lovely, graceful woman with honor.” Yujin commented wholeheartedly.

 

The King nodded, looking a little bit satisfied and relieved that Sungchan chose someone perfect. “Oh, she is. She also just turned nineteen and still unwedded. Really perfect for the Crown Prince. That maiden is also intelligent, skilled in instruments, and has a kind heart. Every man in this world will be willing to kill thousands of other men just so they could have a hold of her hand.” He said softly.

 

Yujin nodded in acknowledgement, “She must be a real beauty and charmer then.”

 

“Her beauty alone can overthrow cities. She’s one of the most after-sought maiden in this country, and Sungchan is lucky enough to spot her unwedded, still. She has a very kind heart. Also calm and delicate.” The King continued to blabber and talk about her brother’s future consort. And Yujin thought that this maiden was such a lady. Her father talked about her so fondly and genuinely so he must really like her.

 

But then, his mood shifted a little. “However,” He paused and Yujin waited for him to continue patiently. “She’s against the planned marriage. She doesn’t want to be married to Sungchan, revealing that she has no slightest romantic feelings for my son which broke his heart a little earlier. She’s determined, and her eyes are flaming. She doesn’t want to be caged in a marriage and will rather die, she said. She threw a fit earlier.” He told her with pursed lips.

 

Well, Yujin couldn’t blame her, really. It looked like her future sister-in-law was a feisty one, someone who was righteous, and didn’t want to be controlled. The corner of her lips almost tugged upwards at the thought. It was just a shame that Sungchan wanted to marry her and the King would do anything to force her to marry the Crown Prince.

 

“Kim Minjoo is a very handful maiden,” the King murmured.

 

And Yujin thought that it was such a pretty name.

 

“She’s beautiful, she’s graceful, she’s kind but she’s determined and hard-headed. She doesn’t want to live in nobility and would rather devote her life to helping the poor.” the King continued to tell about this Minjoo maiden.

 

To be honest, Yujin was starting to admire this tough woman. Somehow, Minjoo reminded Yujin of herself.

 

“You see, I’m planning for the royal wedding to happen next year before Minjoo turns twenty. I want to send Sungchan first to the border to learn more about the military before he comes back here to marry Minjoo. In the next few years or so, I will pass the throne to him.” Shinjong said, and Yujin listened intently.

 

At the moment, Yujin still couldn’t get the hint. She didn’t know why the King was telling her this. She knew that there was something… there was a purpose. The King wanted her to do something but she wasn’t quite sure. And so, she finally asked.

 

“Your Majesty,” Yujin called, “What exactly do you want me to do?” She bravely asked.

 

Shinjong’s eyes sparkled, in awe that finally Yujin caught into things. He took a step forward, a little bit closer to Yujin then gave her a stern, pointed look that made Yujin tremble a bit in anticipation. It looked like the King wanted her to do something…

 

“I know that like your mother, like Yuhee… you are born to protect and serve, not to be protected and served.” The King started off and the mention made Yujin’s heart felt like it was being pricked by a needle. “To keep your brother and me feel at ease,” He took a step closer again.

 

Yujin’s breath hitched.

 

“I want you to personally keep an eye on the Crown Prince’s future consort. Minister Kim’s eldest daughter, Lady Kim Minjoo. I want you to protect her at all costs and keep her from running away until your brother comes back home and marries her.” The King finally dropped it.

 

A mission? A task? Yujin did not care. She was already loving it. She was finally going to do something that was thrilling and challenging. A flame ignited in Yujin’s heart, her veins thumping in adrenaline. Finally, she was going to protect and serve someone even if it was going to be in the shadows.

 

The King continued to speak, “In the next few days or so, enemies will surely try to target her after getting the news about the marriage inside the palace and there might be a huge chance that Minjoo will also try to run away.” He said with a sour expression then added, “With your excellent and topnotch skill in swordsmanship — also archery, and martial arts. There is no one capable of protecting the Crown Prince’s future consort but you, Yujin-ah.”

 

Yujin gulped, feeling her chest swell. No one but her could protect the future consort of the Crown Prince. Of her brother. Her fists trembled in a good way.

 

“Me and Sungchan trust you and your mad skills, Yujin-ah. If Minjoo is under your eye, nothing bad will happen to her. So, Third Princess,” The King took a deep breath before finally speaking again. “From now on, you are tasked to watch Minjoo’s moves, and keep her safe no matter what. This is the King and the Crown Prince’s order and task for you.”

 

Finally, the corner of Yujin’s lips tugged upwards, forming a rare smile she ever showed to people aside from her close friends. Ever since, she had already prepared for this. She did not expect that it would come so soon but still, she was glad.

 

“Understood, your Majesty,” Yujin answered, eyes hard and twinkling in anticipation and determination.

 

“I, Ahn Yujin, will keep Lady Kim Minjoo safe even if it costs other people’s lives. Even if I have to kill thousands for her safety. Even if I have to sacrifice myself. It is my duty from now on to protect her with all I can.”

 

///

 

(tw: blood, gore)
 

Yujin sneakily climbed up on the wall, leaping from it to the temple that was built near the courtyard of the Kim Clan’s residence. Without even the slightest sound, she carefully crawled up to the very top then hid herself at the roof. She kept glancing around the dim area, finding nothing suspicious yet.

 

Her keen eyes expertly sweeped the place to check, and tried to memorize its pathways — creating a map inside her head. She might guard this place for a very long time since the eldest daughter of Minister Kim stays here, and naturally, she had to memorize the entire place.

 

The estate was unsurprisingly huge and spacious with a lot of hanoks inside the said place for the peasants that worked for the family, and other purposes. Yujin silently eyed the pavilion near the garden, placed by the small pond. It reminded her of the pavilion in the palace, one of her favorite places there.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin’s shoulders relaxed when she realized that there was no threat lurking around but did not lower her guard. She clicked her tongue as she reclined on the roof of the temple, blowing the stray hair that was blocking her hair.

 

“They do not have guards lurking around at this kind of hour, really?” Yujin whispered to herself, in disbelief. Minister Kim was one of the most powerful and wealthiest court officials but he did not have consistent guards that could do rounds around his property?

 

After the King’s given task to her, Yujin immediately fled away from the palace with her horse and straightly went there to check. In Yujin’s defense, since she got His Majesty’s mighty words already — might as well start guarding today even though Eldest Lady Kim wasn’t aware yet. Minister Kim’s property was just fifteen minutes horse ride away from the palace but she thought it was too long. It looked like she would buy a small residence nearby or the King would order Minister Kim to let her live in his property so she could be closer to the person who needed her service.

 

Yujin stayed for a while there, laying down on the roof while stargazing and letting her mind run but still her sharp senses were still present. She was taking a nap when suddenly, she felt it, she sensed it.

 

She was born gifted with scary senses like her mother. And so, when she felt that there was a present near her, her eyes shot wide open then sat up, fixing her composure. She peeked her head on the roof, glancing down.

 

Yujin immediately spotted a figure lurking in the dark. She intently followed the said figure, trying to observe their movements, and figure out who might be this person. A threat or not.

 

Judging by their clumsy actions, and they came from inside one of the hanoks — Yujin thought that this was probably a maid. And once the figure finally reached the spot where there was a lit lamp, Yujin’s brow twitched.

 

Confirmed. A woman. And she was wearing a pink hanbok that was too detailed and expensive for a peasant woman that was working under a wealthy family. Yujin’s heart dropped when she saw that the woman was carrying something. Probably her belongings tightly wrapped around a clean cloth. She was having a hard time dragging it with her due to weight. It just said a lot that this woman wasn’t very experienced carrying or handling huge items.

 

And she was rushing to the unguarded back gate, looking desperate and in a hurry, barely looking around to check if there were people that might catch her.

 

It didn’t take long for Yujin to realize that this must be the eldest daughter of the Kim clan and the Crown Prince’s future consort, Kim Minjoo. Who was trying to run away and leave her home.

 

“Oh no,” Yujin mumbled under her breath as her eyes followed the maiden rush, almost tripping on her feet but continued to drag herself with her things towards the back gate. “Most people expect that she will run away but not this soon.” She continued to whisper to herself, a little bit relieved that she really did visit and stay around.

 

She was about to climb down and stop the maiden from attempting to run away when her eyes caught a shadow from a distance that made her halt. She squinted her eyes and lowered herself a little to avoid being seen.

 

There was another person hiding on top of the hanok near the back gate, eyes following the maiden that was rushing down the stony pathway, seemingly unaware of her presence as they were focusing on the woman below them instead. The said person was wearing a mask, and all black like her but Yujin was so sure that it wasn’t a spy of the Kim clan at all.

 

Not when she saw how the person from the distance drew their sword and also stealthily went down from the hanok.

 

“,” Yujin cursed, and also went down quickly. That person was there to kill the eldest daughter of Minister Kim, who was arranged to marry the Crown Prince next year. Words really do travel fast.

 

And Yujin wouldn’t let them harm Lady Kim.

 

On the other hand, Minjoo was struggling carrying and dragging her belongings with her. To be quite honest, it wasn’t too much but she wasn’t used to carrying things because she had servants that would handle it for her. She had a fragile strength, not used to hard work. And not like her father and mother would let her carry things anyway.

 

Minjoo was born from a very wealthy family, it was safe to say that she was born with a golden spoon. But even so, she was raised to be humble and kind. However, she couldn’t escape that wealthy life of hers. Those luxuries, golds, and power were just the good benefits, there was always an exchange. Unfortunately for the eldest daughter of the great Kim family, she was trapped and didn’t have freedom.

 

Now because of the same wealth and power, she was about to be sold off to the palace. She was being arranged in a marriage with the Crown Prince of Joseon. Which she opposed greatly.

 

Other girls in the kingdom would kill each other just so they could marry the Crown Prince and be part of the great royal Yi family of this dynasty. However, Minjoo begged to differ. She wasn’t interested in marriage, it was just another prison, she didn’t want to be controlled by a man and be seen as a beautiful toy. And that palace? It was hell for her.

 

Her own home was already a prison for her. Palace was much worse.

 

And so, the final straw was earlier when the King himself personally invited their whole family for supper. Minjoo should’ve known that this meeting was going to be a bad one. She shouldn’t have come and ran away while she still could.

 

Apparently, the Crown Prince fell for her beauty and charm last week when they met at a bouquet that Minjoo was forced to attend to by her mother. The Crown Prince was so determined to marry her, and would like her to be his consort. Minjoo didn’t want that. She just wanted to be away from riches, and teach kids how to write and read. To help people in need too with her intensive knowledge in medicine.

 

To other people, it must be a fairy tale, a lovely and romantic story that people would gush on once they hear that the future Queen Consort caught the future King’s heart at one glance. He fell so deeply in love at first sight that he was desperate to marry and cage her.

 

It was trash, Minjoo thought. Not even romantic at all. She already shivered at the thought of being with a man for the rest of her life, leaving her no freedom at all. She was a writer and that kind of story wasn’t even romantic at all.

 

And so, she finally decided. The moment they all went home, she was heavily scolded by her father and punished her, locking her alone in her room but Minjoo was smarter. She had enough and used it as an advantage to run away — when people were aware that she was locked inside and no one would bother to check her since her father ordered to let her in isolation.

 

She packed her things, mostly jewelry, expensive ornaments, and golds that she could trade for hefty sums of money so she would be able to start far, far away — then went down from her window. She had enough, and even though she wasn’t used to living in the streets and poverty, she was willing because it was better to reside in a poor village where she could do whatever she wanted unlike in her home or the palace full of gold but she had no freedom and she would be surrounded by hungry-powered men that would stare at her like she was a prey.

 

Her decision was firm, and when she reached the unguarded back gate, she was so happy and was about to shed tears of joy because she was so near, near reaching the freedom that she had been desperately chasing. The guards in the estate were nowhere to be seen because they were escorting her father to an emergency meeting in the court in the middle of the night.

 

Minjoo had a hard time opening the gate but when she managed to open it, her heart lit up in joy. With a triumphant grin, she grabbed her belongings and stepped outside with a little bit of difficulty. She was near! Oh, she could already taste the freedom.

 

She was already grinning to herself, looking down at the dirty, muddy pathway. She wanted to squeal and do a little victory dance but that could be done later. She needed to get away from the estate, fast. She had no place in mind but she would go somewhere far, far away where her family, the palace guards couldn’t spot her.

 

Taking a lungful of air, Minjoo finally tipped her head and was about to take a step forward when she was greeted by a tall figure in black, standing in front of her. She did not even notice.

 

She was frozen, and her heart dropped on the floor, rolling on her feet. Minjoo went pale as her fearful eyes met a pair of sharp, dangerous eyes that gave her an impression that this person was a bad one.

 

“Pleasant evening, Lady Kim.” It was a rough voice of a man. His voice had no trace of emotion, and his eyes even became more dangerous, looking down at Minjoo as if she was just a white rat. Under that mask, she was so sure that he was smirking smugly.

 

Minjoo’s breath hitched, taking a step backward as she trembled in fear. This man screamed danger, she needed to run away but it would be useless because first of all, she wasn’t a fast runner and she was sure that this man in front of her was skilled.

 

Now when she was just near grasping freedom, somebody was about to kill her?

 

“W-Who are you?” Minjoo asked, her voice trembling even though she tried to appear as tough. It just made everything worse because the man just chuckled deeply, as if he was mocking her.

 

And then, the man showed his sword, ready to kill her but before Minjoo nor the killer could react — something zoomed by. When Minjoo blinked, there was already some sputtered blood that tainted her face and clean hanbok. Her eyes just widened in horror when she noticed that the man in front of her also looked shocked at what happened.

 

Minjoo screeched when she blinked and the man was already headless.

 

And when the man fell down on the roadside, completely lifeless already with his head rolling on the other side, his soulless eyes wide in shock. Pool of blood started to appear on the ground from the man, and the gruesome sight made Minjoo fall down on her bottom, crawling away as far as she could from the headless corpse.

 

She had seen corpses before, she had seen injuries but she had never seen something so brutal like this. She was scared to death because there might be a chance that she was the next one who was going to die.

 

Suddenly, there was another figure that appeared before her which made her scream and she curled into a ball while leaning against the wall.

 

“Hey, stop screaming. It’s alright,” A soothing, husky voice entered Minjoo’s ears that made her less hysterical but still panicking and scared for her life. “Are you alright, Lady Kim?”

 

When Minjoo realized that this person in front of her was harmless, she slowly lowered her arms to take a peek, her lips were still trembling and her eyes were bloodshot, extreme fear painted in her orbs. She was greeted by a good-looking person that made her freeze a little, surprised and mesmerized.

 

She didn’t even notice that the other person was also stunned upon seeing her up close.

 

Yujin was in awe when she saw the eldest daughter’s face. So, the rumors were true. Eldest Lady Kim Minjoo’s beauty could indeed overthrow cities and men would beat each other to death if that meant they could take a glimpse of her face. Even in the dim lighting, one would still halt to stare and admire Minjoo. And it wasn’t just her face that was so attractive, even her aura, and whole existence.

 

Lady Kim Minjoo screamed elegance, beauty, and grace.

 

Her sisters were insanely pretty, Wonyoung, too but Lady Kim Minjoo’s beauty was incomparable. Even the goddess of beauty would be put down to shame if she would ever face this majestic creature before Yujin.

 

Despite her being in a disheveled state, with blood painted in her beautiful face, and eyes bloodshot in trauma and fear — she was still the most exquisite person Yujin had ever seen. All of a sudden, Yujin was faced with insecurities after seeing how beautiful this maiden was that it was too good to be true.

 

She lost her guard a little. No wonder her brother fell in love at first sight!

 

Wow, her eyes were so mesmerizing. She could see how Minjoo was stunned to see her too, a little bit confused.

 

She shook her head a bit when she finally collected herself up, and diverted her gaze away, “You shouldn’t go outside this late, Lady Kim. Look what happened, you almost got harmed.” Yujin coldly scolded then stood up from crouching, looking around but there was nothing. “Let me you back to your estate and clean yourself.”

 

Yujin offered her hand and Minjoo stared at it for a little bit long, not accepting it. “Who are you, even? And w-who’s that person who attempted to murder me?” She asked instead, and Yujin had to suppress her sigh.

 

“That man was sent to kill you, obviously, Lady Kim.” Yujin ignored the first question and replied to the second instead, still offering her hand but Minjoo was stubborn, and did not accept it, reluctant and not trusting Yujin.

 

Yujin swallowed her disappointment when Minjoo did not even take her hand and tried to stand up on her own, she almost fell because her legs were probably weak after what she had witnessed, supporting herself on the wall then took her belongings that was thrown at the side — the third princess could only watch her.

 

“Please let me be,” Minjoo coldly whispered, and tried to walk away. Yujin caught what she was about to do and grabbed her arm, preventing her from walking away.

 

Minjoo was surprised at the sudden touch, throwing Yujin a glare. “Get your filthy hands off me, I order you!” She shouted, her voice breaking a little.

 

Yujin did not budge though, eyes firm. It broke her heart a little because she knew that Minjoo wanted to run away and get her freedom desperately. Like her. But this was her duty, this was the King and the Crown Prince’s order. And their words were absolute.

 

She was there to protect Minjoo at all costs, and prevent her from running away.

 

“Lady Kim,” Yujin started off again as calmly as she could, “It’s dangerous to linger in streets during this kind of hour, especially with a face like that. You’ll be a target of the thugs.” She softly added, then gestured to the estate, meaning that she should go back inside.

 

Minjoo’s cheeks went pink after that and Yujin’s eyes must be just tricking her.

 

“No! I don’t want to be back in there so let me go, you… you stranger!” Minjoo shouted, trying to take her hand away from Yujin’s hold but of course, she was no match against Yujin’s strength.

 

Yujin heaved a deep sigh and glanced at Minjoo, “Don’t be too hard-headed, Lady Kim.” She said, and tried to nudge the woman but Minjoo gathered all of her strength to stay rooted in her spot, glaring at Yujin stubbornly.

 

Pressing her lips together, she and Minjoo had a staring contest and when Yujin realized that Minjoo was very determined to stay outside — she finally resorted to another option on how she could take Minjoo inside the estate to safety.

 

Swiftly, Yujin scooped the fragile and light Minjoo, placing her on her shoulders, leaving her restrained. She then grabbed the cloth that was on the ground.

 

Minjoo was so shocked because she just blinked and she was already on the stranger’s broad shoulders like a sack of rice being transported. “Let me down, you imbecile! How dare you!” Minjoo started to throw a fit, punching the stranger’s back as she got carried like that towards the estate helplessly.

 

This person really had incredible strength, holding Minjoo like nothing even though she kept moving and squirming like a child throwing a huge tantrum because she wasn’t given a pastry.

 

Halfway through the journey, they were met by frantic servants who were alerted when they saw Minjoo being carried by someone. One of the servant guys shouted while trembling, “Put our Miss down!”

 

Yujin rolled her eyes, “I’m not the bad guy here,” She clarified softly, then nodded at the back gate. “Clean up the corpse there and immediately send someone to the court to report what happened in the estate.” ordered the woman but no one budged, her brow arched.

 

The servants were all scared and unmoving, just glaring at her. The oldest servant was shedding tears out of fear because her Miss must be harmed. That made Yujin roll her eyes.

 

“I came from the main palace, and I directly work under the King and Crown Prince.” Yujin said with a firm tone and that made the others flinch. “Scram! I’ll take your Lady inside.”

 

And with that, the guy servants and some of the maidens ran towards the back gate while the others stayed to help Minjoo. When they got inside the estate, Yujin carefully placed Minjoo down and once she did that, the woman tried to run away but Yujin immediately blocked her way, looking down at her with a pining gaze.

 

The gaze was effective because Minjoo was intimidated but she still glared back, “Wash yourself up and dress in clean clothes. I’ll guard here although I’m sure that they only sent one killer.” She whispered and with that, the female servants urged Minjoo to go to her room and help her fix herself.

 

Minjoo was helplessly dragged, defeated. Yujin was sad for her but it was her job. She couldn’t do much but to protect her and make her comfortable as much as possible, encouraging her that it wasn’t a bad idea to marry her brother. Sungchan was a good man anyway.

 

Yujin guarded and checked around the house, finding nothing suspicious. Only lavish. And soon after, Minjoo came back, cleaner but she looked… unhappy, as if her soul got out of her body. With her, she was followed by her younger sister named Ning, Yujin met and talked to her before when they were younger in one of the bouquets that Yujin got forced to attend to but Ning was also completely unaware of her title, she didn’t even know if she could still remember her. And then, another two sisters trailed after, looking very lost and scared as they held onto Minjoo. They were definitely Sullyoon and Garam.

 

The sisters shared uncanny resemblance. They all looked alike but at the same time, they had their own charm and uniqueness.

 

No wonder Minister Kim was so protective of his daughters because they were all insanely beautiful. It wasn’t unfortunate that Minister Kim didn’t manage to produce a son, at least he got four beautiful daughters. Everyone in the kingdom thought it was unlucky of him not being able to have a son that could follow in his footsteps but Yujin knew that Minister Kim loved his daughters dearly and that he didn’t mind if he got no sons.

 

They all huddled in the spacious sitting room silently. Some servants were just at the side, glancing at them worriedly as they waited for Minister Kim to arrive with his wife.

 

Yujin stood at the side, leaning against a wall but never did once lower her guard, resting her palm on the grip of her sword, eyes closed but she could feel the gazes on her. An intense gaze as if to say ‘I want to bury you alive’, it was definitely from Minjoo, she wanted to chuckle. Then there was curiosity, intimidated gaze, admiration, and confusion.

 

“This is going to be my second time asking, you stranger, so speak up.” Minjoo’s voice suddenly boomed, and Yujin just realized how soft-spoken she was even though she was starting to lose temper. “Who are you? And why are you here alongside that… killer?”

 

Yujin didn’t even bother to open her eyes, she could perfectly imagine the looks on their faces already. “To clarify, Lady Kim, I’m not with that killer. Certainly not.” She answered, still trying to cover up her identity.

 

She didn’t know if she could introduce herself to Minjoo as her guard so she tried to keep shut first.

 

Minjoo stood up and marched towards her, Yujin remained unaffected, feeling the woman’s graceful presence beside her that made her breath hitch a bit. She smelled like flowers. “You said you work in the palace. I’m sure you’re not a palace guard. Then who are you?”

 

Yujin finally fluttered her eyes open, meeting Minjoo’s eyes silently. She was about to say that she was just someone who worked for the King again when suddenly, the doors were harshly opened, revealing a frantic Minister Kim and his wife.

 

“Minjoo! I heard what happened, my eldest daughter. Are you well? Did they harm you?” Minister Kim cried, rushing towards his daughter, and checked her if she got wounded or something, relieved that he didn’t find any injury.

 

Minjoo was mum, not saying anything, just feeling guilty and defeated. “I’m fine. Someone saved me and killed the one who attempted to slice me into half using a longsword,” She answered politely, but refused to meet his eyes, still probably upset and angry.

 

As if on cue, Minister Kim turned to Yujin who was silently watching. Minister Kim let out a surprised gasp when he recognized Yujin, turning to her as he walked closer.

 

“Y-You,” He stammered. “You saved my eldest.” He continued on, tearful, then kneeled on the floor to give her a full bow as a sign of gratitude and also respect because he knew Yujin’s status in the royal family. “I, Kim Ming, owe you everything for saving my dearest daughter, Minjoo. Third—”

 

Yujin immediately helped him up, and that cut him off from calling her. “Please, rise.” Yujin said in a firm tone, eyeing Minister Kim with seriousness in her eyes. “Fortunately, I happened to pass by because I was hunting. When I suddenly saw a suspicious figure stalking this maiden, Lady Kim. I immediately went to action when I saw he got a sword.” Yujin lied through her teeth.

 

Minister Kim nodded in understanding, very relieved because if Yujin wasn’t there then Minjoo was long dead already. “Thank you, thank you, Thir—”

 

“Please, all of you may call me Yujin. And no need to thank me again. Once is enough.” Yujin cut him off with a firm tone, hoping that this time the old man could finally get the hint. He did, thankfully.

 

“Yujin-ssi,” Minister Kim called, wincing a little bit because it was disrespectful calling someone from the royal family so casually like this but it was an order, he could only oblige. “Please, tell me what you want and I will give it to you as my gratitude for saving my eldest daughter. Gold? I will give it to you.”

 

Yujin shook her head, and glanced at Minjoo who was expecting that she would take it as an advantage to leech off from her father. There was annoyance and disappointment in her eyes when the money was offered. What a very righteous woman, indeed.

 

She wanted to smirk because really, she was powerful and richer than her whole family. Even though Yujin refused the money that she would get thanks to her title and family, she was still technically filthy wealthy. She got the money but she wouldn’t touch it, just getting some to donate to the poor people living in the outskirts.

 

“I don’t need anything,” Yujin answered, glancing at Minjoo again before staring at Minister Kim right in the eye, a little bit pissed off. “I just want you to assign guards who can roam around to check and protect the estate even in this kind of hour, Minister Kim. If I wasn’t coincidentally here, who knows what might have happened to Lady Kim?” She couldn’t suppress the annoyance in her tone.

 

Even though it was partly Minjoo’s fault for trying to run away, it was still the lack of guards that almost led Minjoo to death. She could’ve been assassinated in her room.

 

Minister Kim looked very guilty, and nodded in understanding. “After what happened today, I noticed that I’ve been very reckless and didn’t even think of the possibility that my daughters might get harmed. I didn’t even leave competent people who can guard!” He said, and lowered down his head in shame. “From now on, I will hire more people to guard our estate and ensure my daughters’ safety!”

 

Yujin nodded, satisfied, she would check again tomorrow. And so, she realized that Minister Kim wasn’t still informed about her protecting Minjoo. If she wasn’t mistaken, His Majesty would summon him again tomorrow at the palace. He would probably inform him about the task.

 

“Excellent,” Yujin said, and finally glanced outside. It was most likely nearing midnight. She should go home now, Mongchi was probably whining in the forest now where she left him. “I need to go now.”

 

“But—”

 

Yujin bowed at Minister Kim then turned to Minjoo before murmuring, “Don’t run away like that from your home, Lady Kim. Never attempt to go out of the estate in this kind of hour without someone who can protect you.” She reminded the woman and also bowed at her, and her sisters.

 

Minjoo was a little bit stunned but before she could even open and let out a remark, Yujin already ran towards the exit then disappeared.

 

Minjoo gasped and ran after her but when she reached outside, there was no one. Yujin wasn’t there. She kept looking around but nothing, just darkness. Yujin couldn’t run off fast like that, Minjoo could still at least get a glimpse of the person’s disappearing figure but…

 

Yujin wasn’t really just a palace guard, nor an ordinary citizen.

 

Letting out a sigh, Minjoo went back inside the estate with her concerned handmaidens. She winced at herself because her parents would surely scold her again.

 

Outside, at the roof, Yujin stayed — trying to sense Minjoo. Once she felt the warm presence away, she let out a breath. She looked up at the sky, the stars were out, and the moon was full.

 

“This was just the beginning, Yujin,” Yujin whispered to herself before finally escaping the estate without anyone noticing, and went back to her horse.

 

She wore her hat, and fed her horse a carrot, petting him lovingly. “Alright, Mongchi. Let’s go home.”

 

///

 

“Oh, Lady Kim?” Yuri asked, her face brightening up a little bit as she held a basket full of fruits, glancing at Yujin who was sitting soundly on the window while wolfing down an apple.

 

It was a sunny afternoon and Yujin decided to crash into the dirty kitchen where her friends work. The other palace servants that were working in the same field as Yuri and Jiwon were already very much aware of the third princess’ strong friendship with them. It caused some… issues because most were envious, and some even tried to create rumors that the palace maidens were just using Yujin so they could leech off more power and money when the truth was that before everyone even found out that Yujin was royal, they were already best of friends.

 

The third princess’ presence never surprised them anymore because Yujin was always visiting to bother or talk to her friends frequently. Although it was very uncommon for someone in nobility like Yujin to even visit such places, they knew that the third daughter of the King was a very simple person who also grew up in poverty.

 

“Yeah,” Yujin confirmed, turning to Yuri.

 

Yuri snorted, “My auntie used to work for the great Kims.” She answered, and placed the basket on top of the table. “She sometimes blabbers about how beautiful Minister Kim’s daughters are, especially the eldest. She also said she did not suffer from mistreatment. Although Minister Kim is a cold, busy man, and his wife is a quiet person — their daughters are all fair and kind.” She replied.

 

Jiwon smiled at them, butting in. “I’ve heard some stories from my mother also. Saying that she bumped into the eldest daughter of the noble Kim clan before and she’s the most beautiful person to ever exist.” She added.

 

Yujin was silent for a while, just eyeing the apple she had been munching down ever since earlier, and somehow — it morphed into Minjoo’s face for a few seconds that made her think, “Speaking the truth.”

 

She only snapped in her daze when Yuri’s voice entered her ears, “So, I’m sure you won’t have a hard time dealing with her.” She waved it off, and started to wash the fruits that would be used and eaten later.

 

“That,” Yujin started off, turning her head to look at her friends, “We can’t be sure.” She continued and jumped off from her spot, walking closer to them then swiftly snatching another piece of apple from the basket before Yuri could swat her hand away so instead, Yuri slapped her arm but Yujin remained unaffected. “That woman is stubborn-headed. I’m afraid it’ll be difficult to handle and control her.”

 

Jiwon released a very dreamy sigh, “She’s been caged there at her estate so it’s not surprising that she wants to go away. Strong women are always like that, always wanting to be independent.” She answered with a giggle as she continued to wash the fruits that were placed on the basin.

 

Yujin was about to say something when her ears caught something, rough footsteps. She stayed still, heaving a sigh, and after a moment — there were about four palace soldiers running towards her.

 

“Your Highness Third Princess,” One of them greeted, and kneeled to greet and show respect. “You’re being summoned by His Majesty to the throne room.”

 

Yujin quite expected it already, and so she glanced at her friends who were also looking at her while doing their own jobs. She slightly smiled and bid her goodbye, going with the soldiers without any objections which was a rare sight.

 

“I heard what happened yesterday night,” The King said after Yujin showed her courtesy. “I’m quite happy that you personally checked the estate even though I did not order you to, yet. And thus, Minjoo was saved from danger.” He complimented, very glad and satisfied.

 

Alright, that made Yujin’s heart swell.

 

“Your mother, I could still vividly remember,” The King suddenly opened another topic, feeling dazed as he reminisced but upon hearing him mentioning and speaking about her mother made Yujin’s face drop but she did not lift her head up. “She was also stubborn and worked on her own, even without my or the Great King’s order — she always moved without being told if she thought that it was the right thing. Her intuition was sharp, and yours is, too.”

 

Yujin felt her lips tremble, her fists clenching hard but she tried to remain unaffected.

 

The King seemed to snap out of his daze, shaking his head a little bit, his eyes solemn upon sharing a little story. “Back to the topic,” His voice was lower and quieter, “I don’t want you to be in Minjoo’s shadow, Yujin. I want you to be on her side always and not hide and protect her from the shadows. She also knows your identity now, right?” He asked.

 

Yujin shook her head lightly, “I did not introduce myself as the Third Princess, your Majesty. I said I just work under the main palace.” She answered truthfully that made Shinjong’s brow twitch.

 

“Oh? Why?” He asked simply.

 

Yujin smiled, “I want to give her a surprise. And I’m afraid she won’t take me seriously if I ever formally introduce myself as the third daughter of yours, your Majesty.” She answered honestly. “And… I think she doesn’t know that I’m a woman yet.”

 

The King was stunned for a while but he nodded nonetheless, “Alright, have it your way,” He softly muttered. “I already talked with Minister Kim a few moments ago, and informed him about the plan. He agreed in a heartbeat especially what happened yesterday, he thinks of himself as an incompetent and a failure of a father. You will suit the best, he said, because he already saw how you saved his daughter from harm.” He elaborated.

 

“Next week, you can formally introduce yourself to Minjoo as her guard. Right now, she’s locked up in their estate as punishment, grounded after her attempted escape.” The King continued on as he started to caress his beard, and Yujin took note of that, huh, a week was a little bit long. “Don’t worry, the Kim family’s estate’s security is much tighter but feel free to go there to check and see things.”

 

She frowned a little because locking Minjoo up in isolation for a week wouldn’t shake the lady’s will, that was for sure. The King once locked Yujin up also as punishment but it just made her seek freedom more desperately. But alright, whatever they see fit.

 

“Understood, your Majesty,” Yujin replied politely.

 

The King nodded, humming as he waved his hand off. “Alright. Stand up now and meet Minister Kim outside, he’s waiting for you.”

 

Yujin did what she was told to and exited the throne room after getting the King’s permission. She immediately spotted Minister Kim who was talking to one of Gaeul’s eunuchs.

 

“Your Highness,” the Minister immediately greeted, showing his courtesy, bowing to show respect. The eunuch did the same and excused himself. “This humble court official greets you.”

 

Yujin felt uncomfortable already, she just bowed back. “Please, call me Yujin,” She reminded him, and Minister Kim just pressed his lips together.

 

“I’m once again thanking you for what you did to my daughter yesterday, rest assured, she’s safe and resting now. The estate is more guarded than before, too.” He said politely and formally, bowing his head a little bit.

 

Yujin glanced outside, “It’s my duty, Minister Kim. I think you’re thoroughly informed now.” She answered instead, placing her hands behind.

 

Minister Kim bowed his head again, “Yes, I’ve been informed by His Majesty and I’m very thankful to him and the Highness Crown Prince for assigning such a trustworthy and skilled person like you, your Highness Third Princess. It just shows how much they care for my eldest daughter, Minjoo. I’m very grateful and lucky to have the royal family’s protection.” He said, and his eyes softened.

 

Somehow, Yujin saw the resemblance of his eyes to Minjoo’s doe eyes. The image of Lady Kim’s twinkling eyes haunted her mind again, making her go dazed a little bit but immediately collected herself when Minister Kim bowed in front of her again.

 

“Please protect my eldest daughter well, Third Princess. I’m an old, fragile, and incomptent father who’s always away because of work so I can’t always protect my daughters now, especially my feisty eldest.” Minister Kim continued on, and Yujin just stared at him, listening intently. “I can die happily knowing that my eldest daughter will be married away to the Highness Crown Prince Sungchan. I’m assured that she’s in good hands now. And I can sleep at night in peace from now on knowing that you’re always there to protect my lovely Minjoo.”

 

Yujin could only give a tight smile, not really knowing what to respond but she still opened , not wanting to appear rude. “Like I told you, it’s my duty to protect Eldest Lady Kim from now on, Minister Kim. I’ll do whatever I can to keep her safe from dangers and threats of this world until she marries my brother. Even if she’s finally married away, I’ll still keep an eye on her.” She said with a serious tone but she did not really know where the words came from.

 

Minister Kim looked even more relieved, and gave her a deep bow that surprised her a little bit. “Thank you, thank you, Yujin.” Yujin smiled at that, satisfied. He composed himself and met her eyes, gratefulness and relief written in his doe eyes akin to Minjoo’s pair.

 

“My heart is now at peace knowing that our Minjoo will be protected by one of the most skilled swordswomen in this kingdom. I trust you with every piece of my being, your Highness Third Princess.”

 

///

 

For a week, Yujin lurked around the shadows of Kim estate, not wanting to be seen by the guards and servants — especially the Kim daughters. As expected, Minjoo did not even go to the courtyard. She heard from the servants that Minjoo could actually go out from her chamber but she herself refused and locked herself up willingly.

 

She wouldn’t even eat if it weren’t her younger siblings forcing and soothing her. At some point, Ning cried so Minjoo could eat her meals because their eldest sister was refusing the food.

 

While she observed in the dark, she learned many things about the Kim clan, especially the Kim sisters that shared a very close bond with one another. The four sisters were all close with one another, and they did not even fight. Minjoo loved to spoil her younger sisters too, and she was the epitome of a perfect sister figure.

 

Yujin was extremely glad upon hearing their closeness because it was rare for siblings to be close with one another, especially if they came from a very wealthy family that even blood relation couldn’t contain and hold back greediness.

 

She heard a lot from Minjoo too and she realized how loved the sisters were, especially the infamous Eldest Lady Kim who was literally treated like a princess, the folks in the town saw the maiden as the ‘princess of the princesses’ because of her godly beauty, grace, golden heart, and fairness. Well, truth, Minjoo was even more of a princess than Yujin who literally had the title of ‘Third Princess’.

 

Minjoo was a timid lady but she could be fierce and rebellious also. She loved to write and read in her free time, and Yujin saw a lot of Kim estate servants going in and out of the main house carrying different kinds of books, scrolls, and many more. Yujin overheard once from a nosy servant that Minjoo would anonymously send out poems and wise quotations in writing competitions, then always won.

 

The woman could also paint, and could play various instruments. She was very talented, intelligent and hardworking. Yujin was in awe, very intrigued by what she couldn’t do. The maiden loved gardening too, and would sometimes talk politics with her own father. There were few times that Minister Kim would even ask for Minjoo’s own insight and thoughts about what was happening in their kingdom. He would sometimes use Minjoo’s advice in official court meetings.

 

It was really astounding. She usually advised Sungchan, too, if he was being summoned in court meetings to see if he was competent enough. Her brother was smart already but sometimes, his decisions could be a little bit… unfitting.

 

Finally, a week passed and Minjoo’s punishment was lifted. Yujin watched from one of the roofs as Minjoo took a step in their courtyard, blinking at the sunlight that was hitting her skin. It had been a while since she got outside because she was caged for a week.

 

Yujin’s heart ached a little but when she noticed how Minjoo became thinner and the dark circles around her her eyes became prominent. Apparently, too, Minjoo started to have some nightmares after what happened that night. Sometimes, when Yujin was guarding late at night, she could hear faint grunts and terrified screeching from Minjoo’s chamber. And that hurt her. It also took a toll on the maiden’s health.

 

But even so, Minjoo was still the most beautiful amongst them all. A butterfly surrounded by bees and bugs.

 

Yujin watched as Minjoo fluttered her tired eyes close and took a deep breath of air as the estate servants stayed still a few steps behind her. After that, she checked the flowers, and Yujin watched intently how a smile bloomed on Minjoo’s lips as she caressed one of the flowers.

 

Stunned, Yujin was stunned. Although the view wasn’t clear because it was too far, Minjoo’s smile was eye-catching and bright even though she lacked energy and enthusiasm. Lady Kim had a very gorgeous smile, as expected.

 

After that though, Minjoo went back inside with her servants, greeting her youngest sister halfway.

 

Yujin could sigh, and decided to climb down. She waited for Minister Kim’s arrival before she went inside, passing through the Kim estate’s gates while riding her horse beside Minister Kim’s carriage.

 

The estate servants and guards were in awe upon seeing the ‘lad on the horse’ that saved their miss.

 

After that, Yujin unmounted her horse and let one of the servants tie him up. She met with Minister Kim in front of the house, and bowed at each other again before they went inside.

 

Yujin was greeted by the familiar interior. She kept her hand on her sword that was strapped on her side, just in case. A warrior never let go of his weapon, ever. Even if he was sleeping, he would even hug it.

 

The sisters minus Minjoo greeted their father, all were surprised at the familiar stranger in their house. Yujin bowed to show her respect, and introduced herself. “Greetings to the Kim sisters. I’m Ahn Yujin, a swordswoman who works for the King.”

 

Ning’s eyes twinkled in recognition, covering a little in surprise but she composed herself, it was improper to lose composure after all especially that she was a noble. Sullyoon’s eyes were sparkling in admiration though, staring at Yujin openly, in awe.

 

While the youngest, Garam, didn’t look particularly impressed. She was the most quiet and shy among the sisters. She got a very intimidating look too that made Yujin shiver.

 

After the brief introduction, Ning immediately approached Yujin. “Aren’t you the kid I talked with before in a bouquet.” She asked, smiley.

 

Yujin nodded, her face still stoic. “That would be me,” She confirmed and tipped her head a little bit. “It’s nice to see you again, Second Eldest Lady Kim Ning.”

 

“Call me ‘Ning’ just like before.” Ning said with a big smile, a little bit excited. “I didn’t know that you’re a swordswoman and a guard. It’s rare to have a female guard, were you already training when we met the first time?” asked the maiden, bombarding her with questions.

 

Yujin nodded her head, “Yes.” But did not elaborate further, Ning whined and tried to pry out some details from her but failed because Sullyoon pushed her aside then started to stare at Yujin openly again with her big doe eyes.

 

“You’re a woman?” Sullyoon asked innocently, and blinked cutely.

 

Yujin coughed a little, “Yes, Second Youngest Lady Kim.” She answered awkwardly.

 

Sullyoon pouted, tilting her head but the sparkles in her eyes remained the same. “That’s too bad,” She mumbled, and Yujin was frozen for a while until the second youngest added, “I can’t marry you, then.”

 

Ning started to scold Sullyoon for saying things like that while Yujin just awkwardly stood there.

 

Garam glared at the side though and it didn’t take long for Yujin to realize that the youngest must be jealous because her sisters’ attention was not on her but on Yujin.

 

After that, Minister Kim approached Yujin and told her that Minjoo was in the pavilion, practicing playing gayageum so the third princess went there to greet the eldest daughter of the Kim family, also to finally introduce herself properly.

 

Yujin approached, and she was greeted by the wonderful sounds coming from the instrument that Minjoo was playing. The eldest daughter was playing skillfully and gracefully, hypnotizing the servants that were present and watching her play.

 

Even Yujin stopped on her tracks to observe, eyeing Minjoo who was focused on playing. She looked pretty, alright.

 

She continued on, greeting the servants silently then stood at the side of the pavilion without disturbing Minjoo at all. With that, Yujin watched and waited for Minjoo to finish her play.

 

The way the woman gracefully plucked the strings to create a very majestic sound pleasing to one’s ears really made Yujin feel amazed, couldn’t even take her eyes away from the playing woman. She didn’t even notice that Minjoo stopped playing already, in a daze.

 

That was when Minjoo noticed her, aware of her surroundings once again then glanced at her side when she noticed a presence. Their eyes met, and Minjoo was surprised to see her again.

 

“You,” Minjoo mumbled, and Yujin stared at her, a little bit awestruck to see her beauty up close and under the broad daylight too — that highlighted her sharp, pretty features.

 

“Impressive,” Yujin commented while leaning against the railing of the pavilion. “The words from the streets and estate are true, then. That the infamous Eldest Lady Kim is a woman full of talents.” She added and finally stood up properly. She could see how Minjoo’s cheeks turned a little bit red although her cheeks had this natural pink tint already.

 

“This lowly swordswoman, Yujin, greets the Eldest Lady Kim Minjoo.” Yujin introduced herself and bowed as respect and greeting to the maiden.

 

Minjoo stood up from her sitting position, eyes never leaving Yujin. Her eyes were not welcoming but not too cold either, curious as to why she was there again. “What is your matter here? Why are you in the estate again?” asked the maiden in a soft tone but there was hostility lingering underneath.

 

Yujin ignored it, and replied, “I came here to formally introduce myself, Lady Kim.”

 

Minjoo’s perfect brow shot up, “Haven’t you already?”

 

Yujin’s face remained unchanging and bowed deeply this time, “My name is Ahn Yujin. A swordswoman working under the King’s orders.” She said, and Minjoo’s eyes widened.

 

“Swords…woman? You’re a woman?” Minjoo was genuinely shocked and confused at the information. “I, I thought you were a lad.” whispered the maiden under her breath.

 

“I get that impression a lot, and it’s okay because I’m not feminine.” Yujin replied cheekily but her tone remained the same. She even looked down at her clothes, manly. Her tall height also did not help, and her handsome features. But if one would see her wearing a hanbok with her hair down, she was a beauty.

 

Beauty and handsomely, Yujin’s mother loved to compliment her with that.

 

Minjoo cleared to compose herself because she was caught off-guard, a little bit embarrassed too that she mistaken Yujin as a man despite her overly observative nature.

 

“What’s your purpose for coming here to the estate? My father must be home right now. You can find him inside.” Minjoo said, her expression turned a little bit sour upon mentioning her own father.

 

Yujin smiled because of that, she couldn’t suppress it. “I’ve arrived with your father, actually,” She replied, and Minjoo looked at her, confused. “I came here with a different purpose, and it’s involving you.”

 

Minjoo was intrigued because of that, “Speak.” She ordered.

 

And Yujin hoped that Minjoo would take the news well. “From now on, I will be your guard, Lady Kim. I actually got the orders to keep an eye on you from the King himself that very night we first met.” Yujin explained.

 

Minjoo was very much shocked when she heard that, her body swayed a little bit, her eyes firmly pointed at Yujin. “I don’t need one,” She finally answered back in a stubborn tone after a few moments of silence.

 

Yujin gave her a look of disbelief, as if mocking her and reminding her of what happened that night. Minjoo winced at that. The swordswoman just took a deep breath, “It’s His Majesty’s order, alongside his Highness Crown Prince. Their words are absolute and mighty so I’m afraid you don’t have any choice.”

 

Because of the mention, Minjoo’s eyes became hard and flamed in anger. “Great,” She huffed out, gritting her teeth. “Of course, they won’t really let me free, huh? Even though I vocally expressed how against I am regarding the arranged marriage.”

 

Yujin really felt bad but she couldn’t say anything to comfort the upset maiden.

 

Minjoo glared at Yujin before walking past her, walking out. The servants fumbled on their feet to follow their miss, leaving Yujin standing there in the pavilion alone.

 

Yujin sighed in her heart, and turned around to eye the figure of Minjoo that was getting farther and farther.

 

“I have no choice. This is my duty.” Yujin whispered to herself, leaned against the railing, staring at the water, following the fish swimming underwater.

 

///

 

“Why are you still here?” Minjoo was shocked when she went out of the house and saw Yujin there at the pavilion, sitting at the side of the bridge while dipping her hand in the water to play with the fish, to probably ease boredom too.

 

It had been a few hours already since she walked out after learning that this guard would be sticking close to her, and keep an eye on her for god knows how long.

 

She really thought Yujin had already gone away after giving her a rude treatment and when she walked away but… the guard even waited here in the estate.

 

Yujin looked at her as if she just asked a very ridiculous question. She stood up from her spot and walked closer to Minjoo, and the latter just only realized how tall the woman was, towering over her that she had to tilt her chin up to meet her gaze.

 

“Well,” Yujin started off, her lower lip. “I’ll stay here from now on since I have to keep an eye on you, all day, all night. Killers don’t appear at night time only, Lady Kim.” Yujin answered.

 

Minjoo stared at her in disbelief, “Unbelievable!” She shrieked which made the servants flinch because their ever-so calm and composed miss was throwing a fit because she had a personal guard from now on.

 

Yujin scratched her head, “Uhm, sorry?” She sheepishly apologized, not knowing what to say.

 

“I don’t need to be supervised! I’ll talk to my father about this,” Minjoo whined like a child and stomped her foot before walking away again like she did earlier.

 

Yujin could only watch the maiden’s figure disappear again after walking out for the second time of the day, amused. She just shrugged, and sighed. Well, it was already arranged. She had to be with Minjoo always so it was natural that she would stay near her.

 

“Just give her a few days,”

 

Yujin was surprised when she did not even notice that someone was beside her. She looked at the person, surprised because it was one of the servants she failed to notice that did not follow Minjoo along.

 

The servant smiled at her, “Give her a few days to warm up and accept the fact, and she won’t be too rude anymore. I’m apologizing on behalf of her,” She said, and bowed a little. Yujin, dumbfounded, just bowed back. She lost her guard there because Minjoo was being amusing.

 

Wow, she really lowered her guard unconsciously. Yujin coughed, and composed herself, “No need to apologize, miss…?” She hinted.

 

The servant smiled, “Yeji, Lady Kim’s one of two personal handmaidens.” She introduced herself.

 

Yujin nodded, taking note of that. She was very familiar because she was always close to Minjoo. “I’m Ahn—”

 

Yeji giggled, “No need to introduce yourself, I know you already.” She said, and Yujin awkwardly nodded along.

 

They just stood there for a few moments until Yeji spoke, “I’ve been with Minjoo since young, we’ve been best of friends despite me being her personal maid but still, she treated me as if I was her sister too,” She suddenly shared, and glanced at Yujin with a smile. “Minjoo is one of the kindest people in the world. She just hates getting caged.” She whispered.

 

Yujin thought, “I know. I do, too.”

 

Yeji then bowed at Yujin again which surprised the latter a little bit, “Please protect her well, Yujin-ssi. She’s precious to us.” She said, and excused herself. Yujin could only watch the handmaiden enter the estate.

 

Yujin sighed to herself, caressing the hilt of her hwando. “A lot of people are really asking me to protect Minjoo with all I can, it just says a lot about her as a person. She is loved by people because she’s a genuinely kind-hearted woman.” She whispered, and smiled.

 

Well, people shouldn’t worry then because Yujin could protect her well. That was her duty; to protect Minjoo at all costs. She would do her job as if that was the only purpose of her life.

 

///

 

A/N: well, i hope you guys enjoyed this! sorry for the mistakes... see you guys tomorrow~ share your thoughts?