third // escape your fate.

embrace your fate

 

 

After that incident, Yujin became a little awkward Minjoo because alright, alright — she was freaking out! She started to feel some things and she couldn’t handle them, confusing her, and it made her act dumbly.

 

Minjoo became a little bit distant too. Yujin thought it was for the best because, really, she was starting to panic over her feelings. She tried to ask her friends about it but the way she explained things to her friends confused them — especially Yena who just gave her a dumbfounded expression, “W..Wha… butterflies in your stomach? Yujin, are you alright?”

 

She knew that there was nothing wrong or bad about it but the feeling was really making her icky, especially when she was around Minjoo. She couldn’t even make eye-contact to the maiden anymore after that because her heart would rage and rattle inside her chest.

 

But after getting no help, she decided to keep them, and shrug them away. It would fade anyway, she was shocked. Yup, that was it! Moved that Minjoo complimented her a few times.

 

She had already worn her hair down quite often, and she was very ecstatic because whenever Minjoo would see her like that — there was a satisfied glint in her eyes, and the maiden would stare at her a little bit longer than usual too. She kind of loved the attention, despite the sudden awkward distance.

 

The younger sisters already noticed their awkwardness with one another, Minjoo never clung to her anymore too. And Minjoo looked like she was always restraining herself around Yujin. Sullyoon was the most observant and vocal about it, asking Minjoo and Yujin about it but the former would just answer, “Huh? Nothing has changed.” And the latter would just nod her head, agreeing even though the three weren’t convinced.

 

Another day had passed, and a messenger came by the estate. The Crown Prince sent a letter to Minjoo and Yujin. The guard took the letters, and she had read the contents of the letter that was sent to her. It was the usual blabbering of Sungchan about the military training, and how much he missed seeing Minjoo.

 

However, after reading about the part about how he missed seeing Minjoo’s face and getting absolutely awe-struck — Yujin immediately closed the letter and tucked in her robes, holding herself back from crumpling it down with her fist. She didn’t know… really, but she felt so off and strangely agitated upon reading those words.

 

She then went back inside the estate and saw Minjoo at the side of the hanok, sewing something. She cleared to make her presence known then handed her the letter, “Usual letter from the Crown Prince.”

 

Minjoo took a deep breath, taking it from her hand then did not even bother reading it, just tucking it inside her robe as she continued to sew. “Can you accompany me outside? I need to buy some fabrics.” She asked.

 

The maiden was allowed again from going outside of the estate just last month but Yujin would bring nothing less than five guards with them that would protect them from the shadows. After the latest incident, she was more careful.

 

Yujin smiled at her, “Alright.”

 

They went outside, and as usual, Yujin clutched her sword tight as she walked down beside Minjoo, her sharp eyes roaming around. After buying everything Minjoo needed, they decided to go home after getting some dumplings to eat on their way home.

 

However, they bumped into someone who was very familiar with Yujin.

 

“Ahn!” A feminine voice shouted across the street so Yujin and Minjoo both looked at where the voice came from.

 

Yujin’s eyes sparkled in recognition, raising her hand up a little to greet the approaching lady. Minjoo was just silent though, observing the stranger.

 

“Wonyoung,” Yujin greeted with a dimpled smile. “It has been a while, how are you?” She asked, eyeing her friend who was also delighted to see her after months of not meeting one another.

 

Wonyoung looked dashing at her expensive hanbok, and she had two guards, and one handmaiden with her. She was another gem of the capital city. “Yeah, I’ve been trying to reach you out but I’m always unable to.”

 

Yujin gave her an apologetic look, “Sorry about that, Won. I’ve been really busy with my duty.” She said, and Minjoo’s brow twitched upon hearing the nickname. Were they that close? Minjoo thought to herself, feeling a little bit neglected at the side so she tugged at Yujin’s robe.

 

Wonyoung pouted, “We’re really growing up now, huh? My father is also starting to teach me accounting and finally introducing me to his line of business,” She whispered, eyes solemn. And finally, for the first time, she glanced at Minjoo. “Oh?”

 

Yujin noticed it, and immediately introduced her. “Ah, Wonyoung. Meet the eldest daughter of Minister Kim, Eldest Lady Kim Minjoo.” She said with a small smile. Wonyoung nodded, and gave her courtesy out of respect and proper greetings.

 

“Greetings, Eldest Lady Kim. I’ve heard a lot of things about you around,” Wonyoung said with a bright smile and their eyes met again when Minjoo gave her courtesy back. “My name is Jang Wonyoung. A merchant’s daughter and Yujin’s childhood friend. Pleased to meet you.”

 

“Likewise, Jang Wonyoung-ssi.” Minjoo said back, and added with a smile. “Please, do call me with my name. I do not like formalities.”

 

They stared at one another, and Yujin was slightly confused at the heated eye-contact but she took it as a great sign that they would get along very well. She was glad! But actually… it was something else that even Minjoo couldn’t pinpoint.

 

Minjoo felt a little bit threatened by Jang Wonyoung. The way she looked at Yujin, the way she smiled at the woman, the way she stared at her guard irked the hell out of her so much.

 

Wonyoung broke the eye-contact, clinging onto Yujin which surprised Minjoo a little bit. “Yujin-ah,” She whined, and pouted cutely. “My father is pushing me to marry Sunghoon!”

 

Yujin seemed not to not mind but Minjoo did mind. She glared at Yujin and Wonyoung’s locked arms, feeling very oddly angry upon seeing that. She could only do that to Yujin!

 

“Eh? Wouldn’t that be better? Sunghoon is so into you, he won’t even look for another girl and will never control you. If I were you, I’d marry him straight away. He’s a nice man, Wonyoung. You’ll be able to live comfortably.” Yujin answered, and Wonyoung wailed, resting her chin on Yujin’s shoulders.

 

Minjoo’s right eye twitched at the sight.

 

She wasn’t liking their closeness at all but she couldn’t do much and waited. She didn’t know but she was getting annoyed as Wonyoung continued to whine about her marriage with this man, and Yujin would reply the same — as if encouraging her to take the opportunity already because at least with him, she wouldn’t be mistreated and her family would stop pestering her too. A win to win situation.

 

“Can I just marry you Yujin?” Wonyoung whined, and Minjoo gritted her teeth.

 

Yujin gave her a look of disbelief, “What are you even saying?” asked the guard.

 

The two kept bickering until the conversation went longer and longer. Although Yujin would glance at her from time to time, Minjoo didn’t love the divided attention. She selfishly wanted Yujin’s attention on her, she wasn’t used to seeing Yujin entertain other people like that aside from her.

 

There was a bubbling sensation in her stomach, she wasn’t liking it. She didn’t know where the ill feelings came from but she felt so… annoyed.

 

“Yujin,” Minjoo finally called, the irk getting in her head.

 

The two immediately stopped talking. Yujin turned to her, eyes wide. “Yes?” She asked, scooting closer to her, and Wonyoung couldn’t help but to let go, their arms getting unlinked. The latter slightly pouted at that but she observed them silently.

 

“I want to go home. I feel drained already.” Minjoo murmured with no energy in her, which worried Yujin — the latter immediately nodded in understanding. Of course, Minjoo still had a say. She was still Yujin’s lady after all.

 

Yujin glanced at her friend, throwing an apologetic look. “It’s nice meeting you again out here, Won. But I need to go now. Let’s just catch up through letters. By the way, Jiwon is asking for some soap from you.” She said before facing Minjoo, gesturing to her that they should continue walking so they did. She did not even glance back at Wonyoung who just muttered a small, ‘Alright, bye’.

 

That made Minjoo smirk a little, sticking to Yujin’s side closer. After a short walk, Minjoo finally clung onto Yujin like before, surprising the latter — the swordswoman flinched in shock at the sudden action. She wasn’t expecting that Minjoo would cling onto her like that in public space, where nosy eyes were scattered around. But she liked it.

 

Yujin immediately relaxed on her hold so Minjoo was relieved, she then finally asked without a filter. “Are you that clingy with your friends? Even with Yena?” She whispered, sulky.

 

“What? No,” Yujin replied, and glanced at her, paying no mind to the people who kept glancing at them because Minjoo did not mind them either. “Won is the only clingy one. Ever since we were kids.”

 

Minjoo’s hold on her arm tightened but Yujin did not notice it. “Oh?” She was silent for a short while and then murmured something that the guard couldn’t even hear despite her sharp hearing senses.

 

“What are you saying, Minjoo?” asked Yujin, leaning a little bit closer to hear the maiden louder.

 

Minjoo glanced at her, looking annoyed. “I said,” She said through gritted teeth, pausing for a moment, and then continued. “Can you call me, ‘Joo’?”

 

Yujin was frozen but they continued to walk. Finally, Yujin’s mouth opened and said, “...Joo?”

 

The lady beside her smiled smugly, liking it. “Good girl.”

 

Yujin was surprised at her words, feeling something tingling in her chest.

 

Her attention was focused on Minjoo but suddenly, there was a figure that appeared in front of them — out of instinct, Yujin unsheathed her sword in a flash then pointed it to the person in front of them.

 

“Oh!” The man exclaimed, surprised when he got pointed at by a sword. His bamboos scattered everywhere because he jumped away in shock after the sudden attack. “W-What!”

 

Even Minjoo was surprised. She was just having a staring contest and clinging to Yujin and the next moment, she was tightly pressed against the guard. Yujin held her close and tight to keep her safe and protected in her arms while she pointed her sword to the ‘threat’ that turned out to be a harmless seller.

 

The guards behind the shadows also prepared after they saw Yujin draw her sword out but did not move further upon seeing the situation. Chaeyeon communicated with the other spies in the shadows through eyes, still not lowering their guard down as long as Yujin wouldn’t place her sword away.

 

Yujin’s dragon-like eyes softened in guilt when she realized that the man wasn’t going to do anything harmful to Minjoo at all. She immediately sheathed her sword back swiftly and then bowed.

 

“I’m so sorry,” Yujin apologized, lowering her head even more but still held Minjoo close.

 

The swordswoman was really scared, so afraid.

 

///

 

“The weather is really gloomy today. It might rain,” Minjoo murmured as she looked up at the sky, peeking through the carriage’s window. Yujin, who was riding a horse beside her, gave her a look before tipping her chin up to glance at the sky.

 

Indeed gloomy. There was a huge chance that it would rain.

 

They were on their way to the palace. Every member of the Kim family was summoned and invited by the King for a sudden feast. Even Yujin was clueless of the occasion. Maybe just a random feast. His Majesty liked to throw bouquets, feasts frequently anyway.

 

All of them reached the palace in no time. And in contrast to the gloomy weather, the palace was actually lively. The servants were all smiling brightly. Somehow, Yujin got nervous because what if someone ever slipped and called her ‘Your Highness’?

 

Until now, Minjoo was still clueless about her title and she would rather keep it that way because it just might create conflicts. The palace servants knew that Yujin hated being called formally too but still… they still called her by her title because it would be disrespectful if they wouldn’t. They would just keep their mouths shut.

 

When they entered the grand hall, Yujin stayed back first, she gave Minjoo a reassuring look as she and her sisters went inside.

 

“Yujin-ah!” A familiar voice called her, and Yujin was relieved to hear that voice again, and was also relieved that Minjoo and the others were finally inside so they wouldn’t be able to witness her interaction with her eldest sister.

 

“Eldest Princess, my first sister,” Yujin greeted back, and she was engulfed in a hug by a shorter woman.

 

Eunbi grinned at her, pinching her cheeks. “You’ve gotten thinner but… you look livelier.”

 

Yi Eunbi, the First Daughter and Eldest Princess. Yujin’s eldest sister, and the one who took care of her a lot when she was new to the palace. She genuinely loved her sister so much. She was kind and genuine, always taking good care of Yujin.

 

It had been a while since she dropped by the palace since she was residing near the military border. She was wedded to one of the youngest Generals of the country. But she paid a surprise visit to the palace.

 

They caught up with one another until another person appeared, followed by servants as he confidently strided towards the hall. He just halted in front of them, side-eyeing them, then just walked away just like that while Eunbi and Yujin bowed even though he didn’t see it.

 

Eunbi huffed, “He has no respect, really.” She clicked her tongue. “I think he’s plotting to kill Sungchan and Junmyeon to take the throne.”

 

“His Highness Second Prince Taehyung is really… insufferable.” Yujin whispered to herself. Taehyung was one of the most annoying siblings ever. He was greedy for power, he was a womanizer, and had no compassion for others.

 

They continued to happily catch up, Yujin felt happier after learning that Eunbi was pregnant — happy to know that she would have a niece or nephew soon. Her baby bump wasn’t still that noticeable but still, she was happy. They were excited.

 

Another person appeared, calling Yujin happily, “Unnie!”

 

Yujin’s heart warmed upon hearing that voice. She turned around and her dimpled grin appeared, “Your Highness Fourth Princess,”

 

Hyunseo, the youngest among them. She was Yujin’s favorite alongside Sungchan. She really loved them dearly. Hyunseo could be insufferable but she was a fun and great kid that had this rebellious side in her.

 

“You’ve gotten taller,” Yujin chirped when Hyunseo was close enough for her to pat her head.

 

Hyunseo huffed, “Of course. I’m almost twelve!” She answered then clung onto Yujin.

 

“Second sister,” Yujin also warmly greeted her other sister who came with Hyunseo with a smile. The said woman smiled back, giving her a wink as a greeting.

 

Gaeul was the second princess. Although she and Gaeul weren’t close like she was to Eunbi — she still depended on the woman and she took care of Yujin too. She was just more reserved and liked to keep things to herself but she was a good listener and adviser. She was also rare to be in the palace because she was already engaged to a man from a noble family too. Her wedding would be held after Sungchan and Minjoo’s though.

 

After that, they all dragged Yujin inside despite the latter’s protest.

 

“It was Father’s order!” Hyunseo firmly said as she tugged Yujin inside the hall. And with that, Yujin surrendered and went there. Chaeyeon actually asked for her sword because the palace was protected anyway but Yujin refused, keeping her hwando with her.

 

As long as Minjoo was around, she would never give her sword away.

 

Minjoo was delighted upon her appearance though, just frowning a little bit when Hyunseo happily dragged her across the table of Minjoo’s family. Yujin cursed mentally, thinking of an excuse that she would make once the maiden asked about it.

 

The feast started too soon once the King was seated on his throne, meeting eyes with Yujin first. It was a lovely dinner, everyone was responsive and having a nice time besides Yujin who was uncomfortable and kept meeting gazes with Minjoo who was far from the other side.

 

When the wine was brought in, it started to pour heavily. There was booming thunder too but it did not stop them from drinking their heart’s away. Hyunseo mostly stuck on Yujin because she was scared of thunder, Yujin held her close.

 

Minjoo looked worried from the other side, she was also comforting Garam who was also scared of thunder.

 

The feast continued on, and for some reason, the King drank a lot of wine to the point his full face went red. He kept laughing, and throwing jokes. Minister Kim was also having the best time of his life. However, the lively atmosphere did not last long.

 

The King suddenly stood up from his seat, showing his wine cup with a grin. He started to say his speech, and everything. Yujin was taking a sip from her own wine when His Majesty’s eyes met hers. And she knew she was doomed.

 

“The main reasons why I gathered everyone here are because I want to celebrate something... firstly, to my first daughter Eunbi — she’s pregnant, still in her second month. We’ll be preparing a bouquet solely for that reason soon.” He said, and raised his cup, taking a sip.

 

Everyone was happy for Eunbi, and the pregnant lady kept smiling gracefully at them. And then, the King turned his head towards the Kim family. “Second, to announce that I’ve picked a great month when the Crown Prince and Eldest Lady Kim will marry. Next year’s New Year’s.” He said, and Minjoo lowered her head, Yujin clenched her fists below the table. Hyunseo looked at her older sister worriedly.

 

“I’ve consulted Sungchan about it and he agreed. He will be returning home a week before the wedding to officially propose to Eldest Lady Kim Minjoo of the Kim clan.” The King continued, and somehow, the hall became oddly eerie. Every person present in the room could feel Minjoo’s negative energy except for the King himself.

 

The King’s body swayed a little, obviously drunk but he held still. He glanced at Yujin, and the latter felt her breath hitch.

 

“And lastly, to celebrate my third daughter’s birthday in advance.”

 

The King announced then raised his cup to Yujin’s direction. Yujin froze, eyes wide. Oh, no. But before she could say or stop her father, the King let out a boisterous laugh.

 

“Let’s all have a cup of great wine to celebrate the Third Princess’ nineteenth birthday in advance. Her birthday will happen on the first day of September but unfortunately — my third daughter hates celebrating her birthday with bouquets or feasts, and I have an official court meeting that day.” The King continued to slur, his attendants lingering around him if he ever fell or trip.

 

“Happy Bornday in advance, my dearest third daughter — Yujin. This drink is for you.” The King said with a laugh then straightly downed his wine.

 

Eunbi and the others drank their wines for Yujin. However, the Kim sisters couldn’t even bring their cups near to her lips, especially Minjoo who was looking very shocked. Her eyes wide in shock and confusion.

 

Yujin panicked, ignoring her siblings who were looking at her worriedly and confusedly because she wouldn’t drink her own wine and kept stretching her neck around to glance at the other table with a frantic look in her eyes.

 

“Let’s all continue this feast. Sit back and enjoy!” The King’s voice boomed around the hall before plopping back to his seat with a drunken smile but when he glanced at Yujin’s direction, his smile slowly faded upon seeing the restless look on her daughter’s face as she eyed someone from the other side.

 

Oh. He slipped. Minjoo didn’t know about Yujin’s title and it was still yet to be said.

 

A few moments after, Minjoo stood up from her position, bowing at her parents then to the King’s direction before running away from the hall — ignoring Minister Kim’s calls, and her sisters’ shouts.

 

Yujin stood up in a flash, chasing Minjoo then immediately went to a palace guard that was about to run for the maiden who exited the hall. “Halt! No one will follow her and I! I order you as the Third Princess of this kingdom!” Her voice was firm and authoritative.

 

Everyone flinched at the order, and the King was surprised because Yujin never used her title like this.

 

Yujin ran after Minjoo, the guards just stood still in their spots because they were ordered. Even Minister Kim was shocked at the sudden turn of events, his daughter must’ve felt betrayed because even after months of being close with Yujin, the latter failed to inform her about her royal title.

 

“Let’s continue, and let them settle on their own.” King Shinjong said, his tone a little bit guilty.

 

On the other side, Yujin couldn’t even run properly because her knees felt weak after Minjoo gave her a look of betrayal before she ran out of the grand hall. She was currently chasing after her in the palace corridors, seemingly going to the courtyard.

 

“Lady Kim,” Yujin called but Minjoo kept marching down out of the palace. They did not even flinch at the lightning and thunder, “Minjoo!” She called again, louder this time.

 

However, panic even rose up when Minjoo suddenly went out in the open rain. It was pouring hard! But she kept marching away from Yujin.

 

This time, Yujin finally did not hold back and ran, also not minding the hard pour, drenching her from head to toe after stepping out of the shed.

 

Minjoo was really confused, shocked, and betrayed upon what she heard earlier at the feast. All this time… Yujin was a royal? The third daughter? The third princess? The older sister of the Crown Prince that she was going to wed out of force!

 

Her head was messed up, she didn’t want to see Yujin at all. Her heart was racing uncontrollably. She did not mind the rain and was just desperate to be away from Yujin but of course…

 

“Minjoo,” She heard Yujin’s husky and soft voice despite the loud noises of the huge droplets of rain pouring on the ground and the grumble of thunder.

 

She felt a hand on her wrist, preventing her from walking away. She caught her. And Minjoo’s patience snapped.

 

The maiden faced Yujin with bloodshot, betrayed eyes. “What was that?!” She roared.

 

Yujin flinched at her loud voice but she just held Minjoo tightly, not letting go. “Minj—”

 

“All this time. You came from the royal family and not just a skilled swordswoman who works in the palace! You’re the infamous Third Princess, sister of the Crown Prince!?” Minjoo asked, her voice was loud and clear. She was obviously feeling betrayed, thoughts were eating her up. “Y-You’ve fooled me! I thought we’re friends, Yujin. The whole time, you’re lying just so you can keep me here without hassle and marry your brother!”

 

Yujin’s hold tightened, biting her lower lip, tasting blood and rainwater. “It’s not what you think, Joo.” She softly said after taking a step closer, staring right into Minjoo’s eyes full of resentment. Her heart hurt. “I’ve never mentioned it because I thought it wasn’t necessary. I don’t love or really acknowledge my title at all.”

 

Lies. Minjoo had thought. Her mind was closed to even comprehend what Yujin was saying.

 

“This is a very important piece of your life! I thought I knew a lot about you but no, even the most obvious facts — I missed them all.” Minjoo yelled, and tried to get off from Yujin’s hold to her wrists. “I can’t believe this. I’m so betrayed right now, all along — you’re just manipulating me; you guys are working together to lock me down!”

 

Yujin felt her heart shatter, “No!” denied the woman. “I did not, Minjoo. My intentions are all clean and pure.”

 

Minjoo shook her head in denial, “You’re just here so you can keep an eye on me, and to ensure that I will never run away because your brother badly wants to marry so much—”

 

Yujin finally yelled, “Yes! At first, I admit — I have no plans befriending you, I just want to do my duty but as days passed, I got to know how wonderful you are… my intentions started to change. I’m protecting you not because it’s my job, now, I don’t want to see you get hurt! I will rather die rather than see you bleeding and leave a scar on your skin and heart. It’s true that the King and Crown Prince themselves approached me to keep an eye on you and guard you but I’ve never held you back from running away because I need you to marry Sungchan! I do not want you to wander this vast wide land on your own, where danger is everywhere! I can’t let you go even though you badly wanted freedom! If setting you free away from your fate, from me means it’ll take away your safety — I might die out of worry. Selfish it is, I’ll keep you here beside me instead.” She finally finished, out of breath, and she was shaking from the adrenaline rush and not because of the cold.

 

It continued to pour hard in the capital but neither Yujin nor Minjoo was bothered over it, they were in their own little world — shouting at each other in the middle of the rainstorm.

 

“I’ve never kept anything to you, and you know almost everything about me! Although I never clarified this, only now, you know my childhood, Minjoo. I’m that ‘girl’ that has a natural skill in swords and got taken away by the King, forcing me into a spot in a royal family where I do not belong. You know all about me, Minjoo. The story you’ve written, it’s my whole life story.” Yujin added, feeling out of breath, then stepped a little closer again.

 

Minjoo’s eyes became even harder when she realized that Yujin was sharing about her past life before when she was in the process of writing the story. She was just feeling more betrayed and betrayed upon hearing this new information.

 

“Listen to me, Minjoo,” Yujin firmly said, and her eyes were desperate. “I really have no bad intentions. Please hear me out. Believe me.” Her voice cracked, terrified that Minjoo would see her differently now. “I mean them all, my actions are all genuine…”

 

Minjoo’s heart melted and ached because Yujin was literally weeping in front of her. Yujin never did once cry but now, she was — she was obviously terrified that Minjoo might misunderstand and loathe her. She wasn’t siding with her brother. She wasn’t siding with the King.

 

She was simply doing her duty. She just wanted to protect Minjoo.

 

“I still feel betrayed,” Minjoo finally responded, and the thunder roared.

 

Yujin’s lips quivered in sadness and cold, her heart shattering into millions of pieces. Did she mess everything up?

 

“Forgive me, Minjoo. I’ll make it up to you, I’ll make it up to you…” Yujin begged, and took another step closer. Minjoo stayed still, her chin tipped up to meet Yujin’s sad and apologetic gaze. “You mean a lot to me, Minjoo. So, please don’t think that this is just a mere job to me. You’re more than a friend to me.” Yujin continued to murmur under her breath as she pulled Minjoo into a hug.

 

Minjoo’s heart was moved despite the aches of feeling betrayed. Yujin sounded genuine, and it really felt like she wasn’t part of the King and Crown Prince’s plan. She just wanted to do her job, to perform well because she wanted to protect people like her mother used to do. But still, it might take her a while to get over it. For months, she thought that she already knew Yujin well — from her habits and traits. But she had missed a lot of pieces of her life.

 

However, she let YuYujin hug her, melting in her embrace. She was very upset, and all she just wanted was for Yujin to coo and tell her everything, from the very start.

 

Her heart was beating rapidly, matching Yujin’s racing heartbeat. They drummed in sync.

 

///

 

After that incident, Yujin did not show up. It got Minjoo worried as hell.

 

That very day, after the hug, Yujin escorted her inside the palace and asked the servants to bathe and give her a new set of clothes — She also told them to brew tea for her because she might get cold. Once Yujin gave her one last sad look and apology, she turned her back and walked away — that day, she did not go home with the Kim family which worried everyone else.

 

Minjoo thought that she might have something to deal with in the palace and it was a good time to think but one day turned into four days of nothingness until it fully turned into a full week. Chaeyeon, who was clueless of Yujin’s whereabouts, guarded her for a while. She assured Minjoo that Yujin would be back and did not quit on following her around but she truthfully said that she had no idea where she might be. Must be in the palace.

 

Even Minister Kim was clueless of Yujin’s whereabouts and couldn’t comfort her daughter. He knew that the two grew close and Minjoo was very comfortable with Yujin’s presence already. But something must’ve really happened that day when they went to the palace, however, he couldn’t do anything.

 

For almost a month, Minjoo was getting really worried. She only had her three sisters with her and Chaeyeon but Yujin’s comfort was very different. Every person in the estate could sense the lady’s sadness because Yujin was nowhere to be found. They didn’t know how to comfort her.

 

One day, nearing the fourth week after Yujin’s disappearance — Minjoo was in the pavilion, delicately painting something on a huge parchment. The wind whistled, and the maiden shivered under the cold. It was the last week of September, and winter was approaching fast. She was already wearing thicker and warmer clothes already.

 

But still, there was still a hollow feeling in her chest. She was greatly worried, and missed Yujin so badly. It had been almost a month since she last saw the swordswoman’s beautiful scarred face.

 

Her mind ran once again as she painted unconsciously, she stared at the dark artwork she had done. It was a dark silhouette of a very familiar person. A sword on the figure’s hand, and long hair flowing against the wind. It was undoubtedly Yujin.

 

With a sigh, she leaned away and admired her piece. She just missed Yujin even more, she had been really lonely and sad these past few weeks. She was regretting accusing Yujin like that already, she had enough time to think and regret. Yujin had her reasons but Minjoo was just very angry that day but she would never loathe someone like her.

 

She continued to stare, not even realizing that someone sneaked behind her, also admiring the painting from there — amused but satisfied because she had already had an idea who that might be.

 

Minjoo’s heart jumped as she flinched upon hearing a familiar voice she hadn’t been able to hear for too long.

 

“Is that me?”

 

The maiden immediately turned around, her eyes widening even more in shock and disbelief — she let out a gasp when her eyes landed on the person who was kneeling behind her, giving her a dimpled smile as she met her pair of shocked eyes.

 

“Lady Kim,” Yujin breathed out, “How are you?”

 

At first, Minjoo’s shock turned into stun, then to disbelief because she really had thought she had been hallucinating again. It didn’t happen for the first time, these past few weeks, she had always felt that someone was staring at her from afar and whenever she would roam her gaze around — a familiar black figure would catch her eye that was lingering in the roofs of the hanoks inside the Kim estate. And sometimes, Chaeyeon’s face would morph into Yujin, especially when she was having nightmares.

 

“I, I…” Minjoo stammered, still in disbelief so she raised her hand then shakily reached for Yujin’s scarred but smooth cheek. And she gasped softly when she felt it… she felt the softness and the rough texture of the scars — the warmness.

 

It was real. Yujin was back. This person in front of her was Yujin and not a simple hallucination. “...Your Highness the Third Princess?” She asked, choking on her own breath. She wanted to be sure. She didn’t know what to call the woman anymore.

 

Yujin gave her a weary smile, also reaching for her hand that was caressing her cheek. The swordswoman gave her a very endearing and longing stare, a smile bloomed on her lips once again as she murmured, “Just Yujin, please.” And then added, “I’m here, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo did not think twice and threw herself on Yujin’s arms, making them stumble onto the floor of the pavilion. The painting got knocked off and fell but Minjoo couldn’t care any less!

 

“W-Where have you been, you… you annoying rascal?” Minjoo whispered, burying her face against Yujin’s neck.

 

The swordswoman just blinked, surprised but she just slowly s her hands around Minjoo’s back then started to pat her comfortingly as she laid there, with the lady on top. It wasn’t that uncomfortable, and it was exactly what she needed after being away from her for too long — to be very close with Minjoo like this.

 

“Sorry that I’ve been away for almost a month,” Yujin apologized immediately, “At the first week, I got sick. And I thought it would be better to let you be for a while to think so I gave you space and did not show my face for a while. Then… the King, my Father — made me do some errand. I had to travel for a while and I just got back earlier. I immediately went here after reporting. I thought that it would help you so yeah.” explained the woman as she held Minjoo close to her, she did not care anymore if some servants would see them in that kind of ungraceful position.

 

“I’ve been waiting for you, you dumb! I heard no news about you for almost a month! I was worried to death, I was missing you so badly that I kept hallucinating.” Minjoo yelled against her neck, her voice turning muffled but Yujin heard them clearly. The latter buried her nose on Minjoo’s crown to provide her more warmth, and to show affection as a sign of apology.

 

Yujin sighed softly, “Forgive me, dearest,” murmured the woman as she held her close and tight. “I really thought it was a good idea after seeing how upset you were. I thought you hated me.”

 

Minjoo lifted her face up, using her hands on either side of Yujin’s face to support herself. She glared at Yujin who was under her. Her eyes started to get watery as she shouted, “I will never hate you. I was upset, yes! But all I just want is for you to tell me the truth the next day once my head cooled off! To pacify me. Not leave me like that, I really thought…” Her lips quivered, and a drop of tear finally slid off from her eye — landing on Yujin’s cheek. “I thought you wouldn’t be back anymore.”

 

Yujin’s heart ached, she slowly sat up then cupped Minjoo’s cheeks with her calloused and rough hands but the latter did not mind, even leaning to the touch as she gracefully cried. “I’m so sorry, please don’t cry anymore.” She wiped Minjoo’s tears away. “I thought it was for the best. Sorry for making you worry.” She then pulled Minjoo for a hug, the latter hugged back as she melted.

 

They continued to stay like that, close to one another as they apologized. Once they settled that one, Yujin started to talk about how she turned out to be the King’s third daughter. She honestly shared everything that Minjoo had to know. Minjoo listened as she played with Yujin’s calloused hands, caressing her fingers.

 

In the end, they were finally on good terms again. Yujin was really sorry for going away for too long but Minjoo just shrugged it off and just told her to make it up to her.

 

They just held each other there in silence after, no one bothered them until the sun started to set. The skies were already turning orange but Minjoo just scooted even closer to Yujin then tipped her chin up to stare at Yujin’s side profile. The latter just hugged her close, trying not to get shy at Minjoo’s intense gaze.

 

A few moments later, Yujin finally turned her face a bit to stare back at Minjoo. Their faces were so close to the point Yujin could see Minjoo’s pores, and flecks in her irises.

 

“Stop looking at me like that.” Yujin murmured.

 

Minjoo tilted her head a little, “Like what?” whispered back the maiden.

 

Yujin slid her hand from Minjoo’s shoulder and instead, s it around her waist. “Like I’m going to disappear,” the younger woman replied.

 

Minjoo’s jaw clenched a little, she bit her lower lip as she fired back. “Well, are you?” She took a deep breath, her eyes wavering. “Because last time—”

 

Yujin cut her off before she could even finish that sentence, “I’m not going anywhere. I promise you.” said the swordswoman, smiling reassuringly to her. “I’ll never leave again without your permission.”

 

“Good,” Minjoo whispered, reaching for her face as she tucked her stray hair behind her ear. “Never leave my side again, even temporarily.”

 

///

 

A few weeks after, when the middle of autumn came — Yujin found herself close with Minjoo again as they rode a small boat, floating around the small lake in the estate. The maiden had gotten tired feeding the fish and was leaning against Yujin as she tried to lazily catch the leaves that were falling from the trees.

 

“They look pretty, even though they’re dead.” Minjoo murmured to herself which made Yujin giggle. “Don’t you think so?” asked the maiden with an innocent smile.

 

The guard took the leaf from Minjoo’s slender hand then eyed it for a little, “They do.” whispered the woman then flicked the leaf away, letting it fall and float on top of the water.

 

Minjoo chuckled, and leaned away to take a good look at Yujin. “You just keep agreeing to what I say,” She sulked, pouting a bit.

 

Yujin rolled her eyes playfully, fixing Minjoo’s coat that was draped on her shoulders. “Yeah, I do.” She said, and smiled at her warmly.

 

The maiden just snorted and reached for her nose, pinching it lightly as they giggled to one another. After that, they just stared at each other unknowingly. Both of them didn’t notice but they were staring at each other more than usual. Before, they were shy to even make a few seconds of eye-contact but now, they just kept admiring each other’s orbs and trying to enter one’s soul to read them better.

 

Yujin was getting hypnotized by those warm honey orbs, and her heart was speeding up. She had never felt anything like this before, Minjoo was making her feel… everything, too much. She didn’t know how to handle these foreign feelings but all she was sure of; she needed Minjoo in her life. She wanted Minjoo to be happy. She wanted her to feel safe and content.

 

She had been analyzing these scary yet flowery feelings she was having for Minjoo, assessing and figuring them out. In the end, she failed to do so but she knew that it was something that she shouldn’t be scared of. It was making her feel like she was floating up in the air. As if she didn’t need anything more but Minjoo only.

 

Her breath was taken once again after Minjoo gave her a bright smile, her eyes turning into crescents. Yujin’s mind went blank as her heart started to flutter and shimmer, thousands of butterflies raging in her stomach.

 

“Minjoo,” Yujin softly called, breathless.

 

Minjoo hummed, caressing Yujin’s nape in a fond way.

 

Without even thinking twice, she said with flames in her eyes.

 

“Do you want to leave this estate… with me? Just for a night,”

 

Of course, Minjoo would never refuse such an offer.

 

///

 

Once the night was deep, Yujin and Minjoo snuck out in the back gate without anyone knowing. The estate guards were having their rounds at the front and it was the perfect time to escape.

 

Yujin and Minjoo sneaked out, and they never had a hard time because the swordswoman was expert at it. They even managed to sneak Mongchi out of the stables quietly. The horse cooperated.

 

After that, in darkness, they fled away fast with their horse — a smile present in their faces.

 

A chuckle escaped past Minjoo’s lips, as she felt the cold wind hitting her face. She was wearing a cloak to hide her face, and figure, to give her warmth too. She kept glancing at Yujin who was expertly mounting the horse while her lips were curved up into a small smile.

 

Their eyes met, and they grinned at each other. Minjoo had never actually felt this thrilled. Even though this was temporary freedom, it was still freedom. She could take what she could take — and on top of that, she was with Yujin.

 

Minjoo knew this was going to be one of the best nights ever.

 

After an hour or so, Yujin and Minjoo finally reached their destination. Actually, Minjoo was clueless but she trusted Yujin anyway, the latter would definitely bring her to somewhere nice and safe. Somewhere where it would be memorable to Minjoo.

 

The ride was long and it made Minjoo a little bit exhausted even though she just sat on top of the horse and leaned against Yujin’s front. Her hips felt slightly sore. However, she did not mind it, even happy and feeling content.

 

But then, she was marveled at the sight when Yujin helped her go do it from the horse. Her feet sunk into the sand which surprised her a bit but when she tilted her head up — she was greeted by the view of the beautiful, glistening sea.

 

This was Minjoo’s first time to ever see the shore. One needed to exit the capital to reach this place but Minjoo had never stepped out of Hanseong ever. Minjoo had only seen illustrations of the ocean, the description of what a ‘sea’ was. And she had this secret desire to see this wonderful place in person. But now, she was in front of it. She was awe-struck.

 

The gentle crashing of waves to the shore filled up her ears, the smell of saltwater entered her nose, and the chilly wild hit her skin that made her shiver. It was pleasing. This place was so healing. As if all the stress and negative feelings in her existence vanished away.

 

Her eyes sparkled in astonishment as she stared at the majestic, vast sea. It piqued her interest, the sea looked like a never-ending body of water, and Minjoo wanted to know if there was really a land across that border. She silently walked, having difficulty crossing the sand while Yujin followed her behind.

 

Minjoo stayed where the land met the water, just a small distance since she did not want to get her feet wet. She watched the water crawl to the shore, just to get pulled back. Minjoo was ecstatic, as if she was a five year old kid that just figured out how to hold a brush and create random doodles on parchment paper.

 

“Liking the place so far?” asked Yujin from behind, wearing a smile.

 

Minjoo turned around to face her, and she gave her a big grin that reached her eyes, turning into beautiful crescents that made Yujin’s heart warm.

 

“I’m loving it, Yujin-ah.” Minjoo whispered, and started to twirl around with her arms spread wide. “I feel so… happy! I fell in love at first sight at the sea.” added the maiden with a giggle.

 

Yujin watched her with fond eyes. “I’m glad you are.” She said, and walked closer to Minjoo. She then kneeled before her, which surprised Minjoo, especially when the swordswoman suddenly grabbed her ankle gently.

 

Getting the hint, Minjoo let Yujin take off her footwear and even rolled her pants up to her knees and after that, Yujin did the same to herself. They stood there, their feet sinking into the cold, soft sand of the beach as they smiled with one another.

 

“I recommend soaking into the water until your feet only because it’s too cold if we ever take a dip. We don’t have any pair of extra clothes either.” Yujin reminded her as she held Minjoo’s arm as they finally advanced further to the saltwater.

 

Minjoo chuckled, glancing at the swordswoman. “Hmm. I’m even satisfied already by just admiring afar.” The maiden said, but still approached the water carefully anyway and when the wave washed over her feet — Minjoo shrieked because of the coldness but she laughed afterwards.

 

Yujin giggled at her, and started to tease the woman, lightly kicking off her feet to splash some water towards Minjoo’s direction. That made the maiden glare at her playfully and did the same but harder. The guard did not fight back.

 

“Is this your first time here?” Minjoo suddenly asked.

 

The swordswoman shook her head, “No. I used to sneak out here when I was younger. Sometimes, my mother would take me here because she also loved the sea,” She whispered, and sighed. “Although before, I’ve never really understood her fondness over the ocean. It’s just… salty water. A huge body of water but now, I’m starting to see the real beauty of it. I just never saw it at night.” Yujin answered as she looked at Minjoo and then glanced at the full moon high above, giving them enough light.

 

Minjoo stared at her with solemn eyes that made Yujin snort, and so, the latter pushed the maiden slightly so she stumbled backwards a little that surprised her. They were here to have some fun, to be free, to be whoever they want to be — not to get sad over the past.

 

It made Minjoo glare at her again, and got her revenge by pushing Yujin even harder. Until they started to squeal and laugh, their voices echoing around the empty shore. In that place, they were the only ones that existed. The both of them didn’t care anymore, all they could see was each other and the sea.

 

They continued to play around like that for a while, and Minjoo even almost stumbled and landed on her but Yujin’s reflex was faster, catching her then pulling her closer.

 

Yujin and Minjoo laughed because of that, then stared at each other for a short while with grins intact in their faces.

 

To Yujin, Minjoo was even more beautiful than the sea and moon themselves. She was the most exquisite woman in this whole wide, cruel world. A lone flower crowded with weeds. Minjoo was the colors of her own world.

 

She couldn’t even help but to openly gape at Minjoo, her eyes getting softer as her heart started to shimmer with rainbows. And Minjoo stared back that made her heart skip a beat, her soul slowly detaching herself from her own body.

 

Minjoo stared at her as if Yujin was her world. As if Yujin was the only woman to ever exist. And Yujin was struck by realization.

 

As Minjoo stared at her as if she was the only thing that mattered — Yujin’s mind ran, realization striking her like lightning. She was stunned but still, she knew… this feeling, these feelings that she was experiencing whenever Minjoo was involved. Yujin was quite sure despite its definition being unclear to her.

 

Yujin was in love with Minjoo.

 

Yujin never did see Minjoo as a friend. Yujin had never felt this towards Wonyoung, Yuri, Yena, and Jiwon at all — she never felt giddy, so majestic, so warm, so fond whenever with them but whenever she was with Minjoo; it felt like she could feel everything.

 

Oh my, Yujin was in love with this beautiful maiden in front of her that was looking back at her as if she was her whole world. And she couldn’t even comprehend it. All she could do was just dumbfoundedly stare at Minjoo. All this time, she was feeling ‘romantic love’ at all. Was this love that everyone would say? Maybe, it was. Minjoo was her ‘love’, she gave her definition of this word.

 

The maiden noticed her stare and thought Yujin was just tired. “Should we sit by the shore instead?” She whispered, and Yujin just nodded, complying. They went out of the water hand in hand, they sat by the shore — close with one another as usual.

 

Mongchi was a very good horse, just waiting by the distance, snorting from time to time whenever he spotted his owner with the lady.

 

Minjoo rested her head on Yujin’s shoulders, she was tired but not sleepy at all despite the lack of rest. It was most likely past two in the morning already and they needed to go home very soon or they would get caught by the servants who did their duty early in the morning.

 

She cherished the remaining time, and snuggled closer to Yujin who just held her close. Minjoo eyed their feet that were covered by the sand. She was really grateful for Yujin. Even just for a short time, she felt what real freedom was.

 

Earlier, she felt so free as she danced around the seawater while Yujin watched her and laughed wholeheartedly. These memories would be forever engraved in her mind. Forever, really.

 

If she did not meet Yujin, if the King or the Crown Prince did not even assign her to be her guard despite the royal title — depression most likely ate Minjoo up by now. Yujin made her life less miserable. When Yujin entered her life, everything was much better — there were storms but still, Minjoo would never trade Yujin for anything else.

 

Not even freedom.

 

She would choose Yujin over freedom because Yujin was her safe haven, her sanity.

 

“Thank you, Yujin,” Minjoo whispered, as she leaned away from Yujin, her hand on Yujin’s chest as she felt the quickening pace of Yujin’s heartbeat under her palm. “I’m the happiest today.” She added with a bright smile. Yujin stared at her silently with her sharp, intense gaze.

 

“I also realized that I’ve never thanked you, for saving my life a few times, for keeping me sane, for keeping me accompanied, for keeping me entertained, for training me… just everything, Yujin. I, Kim Minjoo, the eldest lady of the noble Kim clan will be forever grateful for your service.” Minjoo said with a smile, chuckling to herself.

 

Yujin blinked, and the corners of her lips tugged upwards, snaking her hand on top of Minjoo’s hand — grasping it softly. “It’s my duty.” She winked then added, “Thank you too, Minjoo, for everything. You made everything better for me. After you entered the picture, my world that was once dull became bright and is now painted with colors.” She whispered, and smiled at Minjoo.

 

The maiden was struck upon hearing that, her cheeks warming but she stayed still, eyeing Yujin with the same intensity as her heart drummed against her chest. She felt so light all of a sudden, and Yujin’s gaze — those piercing eyes that always stared at her protectively and in an adoring way. She felt so… great.

 

She loved the feeling of this, being stared at Yujin as if she was the only thing that existed in this world. She had this greedy side… that she couldn’t even understand. All she knew was that she wanted Yujin for herself. Wonyoung made her feel threatened before and realization struck her that she wouldn’t want to lose Yujin to anyone.

 

Silence engulfed them as they stared at one another, the moon looking down at them, the sea glistening in front of them — nothing else mattered anymore, even the cold was neglected as they got lost into each other’s eyes.

 

And for some reason, their mind went blank. As if there was a magnetic feeling that was pulling them to lean closer to each other.

 

Minjoo’s head was getting hazy, clouded as Yujin’s scarred face filled her vision. For some reason, there was this… desire bubbling in her heart. A desire that had been building inside of her for a while now. A strange desire.

 

She felt Yujin’s heart drumming out loud, the same as hers, under her palm. Minjoo was sure that she was having the same desire too. And she was feeling what Minjoo was feeling.

 

Yujin was trying to hold back, not wanting to do anything that they both might regret later on but… Minjoo looked at her as if she was enticing her lean closer. And even closer. Until there was no space between them. And so, she finally gave in to the desire of her heart.

 

No one really knew who leaned in first, maybe they met each other halfway but they just found each other inching closer and closer until their breaths were mingling, fanning each other’s faces. Their hearts sped up in sync, and nothing mattered — even the consequences of their desires didn’t hold them back.

 

When Minjoo and Yujin’s lips brushed, the world seemingly stopped as they felt the soft sensation on their own lips. Rainbows bursted all over their chests.

 

The first kiss was soft and it made them nervous. Yujin panicked a little because she really didn’t know things about this so when she leaned away, she wanted to scream or something because even if their lips just brushed lightly with one another — it made her world spin.

 

But when their eyes met again after leaning away from the kiss, a spark ignited and they met each other again halfway. However, this time — the kiss was longer and passionate.

 

Yujin acted out of instinct, moving her lips against Minjoo’s warmer lips as she cupped the maiden’s jaw to steady her. Minjoo clutched the front of Yujin’s robes, hanging for her dear life.

 

When Yujin felt that Minjoo was having a hard time breathing, she finally leaned away after nibbling Minjoo’s lower lip gently. She pressed a kiss on the corner of the maiden’s lips, finally taking a pity.

 

Minjoo tried to catch her breath as she stared at Yujin, feeling her heart was about to stop after being so fast and hard.

 

She didn’t know kissing felt nice, kissing Yujin felt so perfect but at the same time… so wrong. Both of them hadn’t realized what they had done, just drowning into each other’s orbs.

 

Minjoo reached for Yujin’s scarred cheek, tracing the scar on her cheek lovingly. Her gaze once again lowered to Yujin’s lips that were tempting her to be tasted by her again. And so, she gave in, enticed.

 

This time, Minjoo was the one who kissed. Although she didn’t really have an idea of what to do, she followed her heart and instinct.

 

She kissed Yujin hungrily, as if she was waiting for this very moment for centuries. She kissed her eagerly. She kissed her fast, she kissed her slow. She kissed her lovingly, pouring her utmost hidden feelings.

 

And Yujin kissed her back, following her pace, snaking her hands around Minjoo’s waist. She had never thought that kissing someone you love was one of the most beautiful feelings to ever exist. Yujin thought she could kiss Minjoo for an eternity. Her heart shimmered, and the butterflies in her stomach multiplied and raged inside of her.

 

Yujin could only hear Minjoo’s small whimpers, labored breaths, quiet whines, and the soft sound of the waves crashing to the shore and to one another as they passionately kissed. Their hands grasping one another as if one would float away if they wouldn’t hold tight.

 

It was perfect. They did not think of anything besides each other and their lips. Nothing else mattered in Yujin and Minjoo’s own world.

 

///

 

The ride home was rather quiet, Minjoo curled like a ball against Yujin throughout, getting sleepier and sleepier as they traveled really fast. Yujin’s mind was running, the taste of Minjoo lingering in .

 

They reached the estate quite fast, and the sun hadn’t risen up yet so there was no one awake yet. Chaeyeon guarded the back gate and just smiled at them when she spotted them approaching.

 

“Had a wonderful travel?” Chaeyeon asked, resting her elbow on the hilt of her sword that was strapped to her side.

 

Yujin smiled at her tightly, “Surely.” She mumbled as she unmounted her horse then helped Minjoo to get off, her cheeks turning pinkish.

 

Chaeyeon nodded and walked closer, “Greetings, Lady Kim,” She greeted and grabbed Mongchi’s reins. “I’ll take the horse to the stable. Lady Kim to her own room.”

 

With that, Chaeyeon went away. Yujin and Minjoo quietly walked but halfway through, the latter grabbed the guard’s wrist and dragged her to the pavilion.

 

Yujin blinked, “You should get some rest—”

 

“I do not regret it,” Minjoo cut her off and Yujin froze. “It’s not a mistake.” added the woman, her toes moving out of nervousness.

 

Truthfully, Yujin was thinking that Minjoo just got carried away at that moment but… the maiden herself said that it wasn’t a mistake at all. The feelings were mutual then, her heart shimmered in happiness and relief but then, it died again after realizing something.

 

“It’s not a mistake for me either,” Yujin whispered, “I wanted it, I craved it, I loved it.” She honestly answered.

 

Minjoo’s eyes sparkled, and that was enough to answer that it was indeed mutual. Minjoo wanted it also.

 

“But it can’t happen again, Minjoo,” said Yujin, pursing her lips together. Her eyes were dead-serious, and the spark in Minjoo’s eyes died down. Yujin had to swallow the lump that was stuck in .

 

“Why? Am I bad at it?” Minjoo asked, looking like a flower that was wilting away.

 

Yujin shook her head, giggling bitterly. “No, it’s not that. I could kiss you for an eternity or so, Minjoo.” She whispered, then looked away, unable to meet Minjoo’s sad eyes. “It’s just that… we can’t. Minjoo, we can’t.”

 

A trace of annoyance and disappointment flashed in Minjoo’s eyes, “Is it because we’re both women?” Minjoo guessed but Yujin did not even think of their gender anyway. It was least of her concern but of course, knowing Minjoo who was aware of this society’s standards and rules — she was really going to think it was forbidden.

 

“I do not care about it, Minjoo. I don’t care if we’re both women, alright, it’s my other concern about you but it’s not that…” Yujin paused, taking a deep breath.

 

Minjoo was impatient, “Then what’s the matter, Yujin?”

 

Yujin finally met her eyes, and Minjoo was surprised that there were tears forming in the guard’s eyes which made her heart stop.

 

“You’re getting married to my brother, Minjoo.” She pointed out through gritted teeth.

 

Minjoo let out a bitter laugh, “I do not love your brother. I’m getting forced to marry him.”

 

Yujin’s lips quivered, using her hands to wipe her face, frustrated. “It doesn’t matter, Minjoo. I’m betraying my brother and—”

 

“I don’t care. I do not care for all those members of the goddamn royal family except for you,” Minjoo yelled, and her hands were balled into fists, staring hard at Yujin.

 

Yujin did not say anything, shaking her head as tears finally dropped from her eyes. Conscience and realization hit her all at once, making her guilty. This wasn’t allowed. They couldn’t be.

 

Blasphemy. Betrayal.

 

People would skin her and Minjoo alive if they ever learned what they had done. It was okay if it was only her but Minjoo would be involved too.

 

Her brother and father wouldn’t forgive her if they ever learned that Yujin was madly in love with the future Queen Consort.

 

“I should be protecting you, keeping you safe.” Yujin replied, eyes shaking, and finally let it out of her chest. “Not loving you in a romantic way!” She finally confessed.

 

And Minjoo was taken aback at the blurted confession, she was stunned as she looked at Yujin who was having a breakdown.

 

Yujin started to fumble on her words, “This… is not allowed, Minjoo. Next month, my brother will officially ask for your hand in marriage and you two will be wedded. This is betrayal and we can’t go against the monarch—“

 

“I love you,” Minjoo suddenly confessed, cutting her off.

 

Yujin’s mouth instantly shut, staring at Minjoo in disbelief, a sob escaping her lips.

 

She tried to think that it was just attraction; to save her and Minjoo from a scary downfall. But she couldn’t push it, she couldn’t convince herself — not when Minjoo was looking at her with those genuine foxy eyes of hers. She meant those three words, and Yujin’s world stopped spinning for a while.

 

Minjoo loved her. Minjoo loved her back. Minjoo was also in love with Yujin, like how Yujin was so deeply and madly in love with her.

 

“I..” Yujin was at a loss for words, she couldn’t say anything, she was not functioning at all.

 

Minjoo took her hand, and brought it up to her face then pressed a shaky kiss on the back of it. “I love you, Yujin-ah.” She whispered as she stared right into her eyes. “You’re my world, you’re my sanity, you’re my safe haven. Until the very end of time, I will love you and only you. Even the deities above can’t make me stop these fluttery feelings for you.”

 

Yujin choked out a sob, her heart bursting into rainbows upon hearing those words of affirmation from Minjoo. They held a sincerity that brushed Yujin’s heart.

 

Oh, Minjoo. I would literally die for you. Yujin thought.

 

But they couldn’t, even if one turns the world upside down. They couldn’t be in this life and for this world. Maybe in another universe, maybe in another lifetime where they could freely love each other without being stuck in this kind of situation.

 

“Even if you are, even if I also do — my lord, I love you so much that it hurts Minjoo. You’re my everything at this point, the reason why my world spins and stops,” Yujin gasped out the words, there was a tightening feeling in her chest. “We can’t make this work, Minjoo. Even though I desperately want to be with you, hold you, touch you, kiss you — we can’t, in this world, in this society — we just can’t.” She defeatedly said, deflating.

 

There was pain in Minjoo’s eyes that caused Yujin’s heart ache but then, there was a flame of determination.

 

“Let’s run away,” Minjoo suggested, her voice serious.

 

Yujin shook her head, “Running away won’t work either.” But she was tempted, very tempted. However, the Kim sisters might get involved.

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip, not wanting to give up. And finally, she dropped her last option.

 

“I-I’ll take what I can get, Yujin,” Minjoo pleaded, and her lips were quivering. “Take my request — if we can’t run away. Then, let’s be happy together until… until your brother goes back. I don’t even love him, and I’m getting forced to marry someone that isn’t you.” She desperately begged, even in this way, she wouldn’t regret anything. And at least, for a month, Minjoo would be the happiest.

 

She would carry those memories with her until she died. It would make everything bearable.

 

Yujin didn’t want to because this might cause more complications but… Minjoo was begging her, looking at her tiredly. She just couldn’t… she couldn’t refuse.

 

“Okay,” Yujin answered, breathing heavily.

 

Minjoo also started to cry, out of relief and sadness. Yujin pulled her into an embrace and it just made Minjoo cry harder, what a pity. Yujin wouldn’t be able to hold her like that forever, only temporarily.

 

But it was better than never.

 

The sun rose up yet they still embraced each other, not wanting to let go.

 

///

 

They became closer than usual, and even touchier when they were not being watched. Yujin wasn’t even surprised that Minjoo was very clingy towards her, she was even clingier that even under the presence of other people’s gazes — she would shamelessly cling and hold Yujin’s hand.

 

It was making Yujin panic because it might raise suspicion but surprisingly, she was just getting paranoid because the servants never really did care. They were even fond of their cute, close friendship. Women being clingy with one another wasn’t surprising anymore, it wouldn’t be deemed as inappropriate because there was no ‘malice’ in them. A woman and a woman in a romantic relationship? It was almost a myth.

 

It was a sin and a huge disgrace. Same goes for a man and to a man relationship. It was unheard of, and you would most likely be haunted by people.

 

Death did not scare Yujin, nor the judgemental looks or anything. It was Minjoo getting hurt, emotionally, physically, and mentally. She feared that it would happen.

 

So, she did not take the risk and made sure that they were alone and safe whenever she would reciprocate Minjoo’s advances.

 

“Here is Lady Kim’s dinner,” Yeji said as she handed the tray to Yujin.

 

The swordswoman smiled at her and Minjeong who also came along. She bowed at the handmaidens. “I’ll deliver it to her.” She replied and waited for the two handmaids to walk away after bowing to Yujin. Ever since, Yujin was the one who would personally deliver Minjoo’s dinner in her room if there was no need to have a meal with her family.

 

Yeji nor Minjeong questioned it because it was Minjoo’s request every time. To let Yujin take the food to her instead of them.

 

After they disappeared, Yujin entered Minjoo’s room after asking for permission, and made sure it was secured. Even though no one would dare to open the door while Minjoo was present inside — she would not risk it.

 

“Minjoo, dinner,” Yujin said, placing the tray full of food on top of the wooden table near the bed.

 

Minjoo was sitting on her bed, reading something but when Yujin entered the room, her attention was on her. “I’m still not yet that hungry,” replied the maiden with a slight pout, putting her book away, then stood up.

 

The lady was just wearing her white inner clothes, and standing on her bare feet. Her long, silky black locks were cascading past her middle back. She looked absolutely ethereal that Yujin stared longer than she should, awestruck. Even though she has seen Minjoo’s face almost everyday, she still gets stunned by her glorious beauty.

 

Minjoo noticed the stare and smirked smugly, combing her hair using her fingers as she stared back, “Why are you looking at me like that?” asked the woman then slowly approached Yujin.

 

The swordswoman hummed, “Like what?”

 

“Like you want to kiss me,” Minjoo answered in a teasing tone as she looked up to meet Yujin’ gaze, her hands resting on the taller woman’s hips.

 

Yujin smiled at her, her deep dimples poking out. “I badly want to.” She murmured under her breath before leaning down to capture Minjoo’s awaiting lips.

 

Minjoo’s hands instinctively s and coiled around Yujin’s neck, smiling in the middle of the kiss. Yujin kissed her softly as she held Minjoo’s slim waist, moving them against the cloth.

 

It wasn’t their second time, not also the third. Yujin had actually lost count already because Minjoo and her would kiss whenever they could spot a great timing, especially when they were alone like this. It was impossible that nothing would happen.

 

Something more even happened.

 

A night to remember. A night that Yujin and Minjoo would never forget. A night full of wonderful memories.

 

A picture of Minjoo sprawled on the bed, her long hair spread on the sheets, and her feather pillow as she looked up at Yujin with the most loving gaze ever.

 

And that ignited the fire, Yujin’s kiss became more aggressive and passionate but Minjoo welcomed it, kissing back with the same fervor. Until Minjoo just found herself getting carried by Yujin to sit her on the table for easier access and leverage, a rough calloused hand snaking on her thigh.

 

Minjoo pulled Yujin closer to her, tugging her using the collar of her robes. She was greedy for Yujin. Whenever she was with Yujin, she never wanted to be closer to her.

 

Yujin stopped attacking her lips and instead trailed her butterfly kisses on her cheeks, jaw, towards her neck, and the juncture of her shoulder and neck. Minjoo gasped softly, letting her nails rake against Yujin’s clothed back and her other hand grasping Yujin’s hair gently, massaging her scalp.

 

The swordswoman gently bit Minjoo’s collarbones but then stopped all of a sudden when her ears picked up light footsteps coming nearer and nearer. Minjoo was kind of confused why Yujin stopped kissing her but she also stayed still like a statue.

 

When Yujin finally realized that the footsteps were heading towards Minjoo’s chamber, Yujin detached herself from the maiden. “Someone’s coming,” She announced softly, lightly catching her breath as she glanced at Minjoo who was pouting at her cutely, disappointed that someone had to interrupt them.

 

“Unnie,” It was Ning. “Is Yujin-ssi inside? Father is looking for her.”

 

Yujin cleared , “Yes. I’m here, just monitoring Minjoo. I’ll be following soon. Thank you for informing me, Second Eldest Lady Kim,” Yujin yelled so Ning could hear her. After that, Ning went away.

 

With a sigh, Yujin stared at Minjoo apologetically, “Your father is calling me. I need to go, Chaeyeon is definitely on her way to substitute me for a while.” She cooed as she combed Minjoo’s hair that got messed up slightly due to their session. “Make sure to eat your dinner, I’ll be quick.” She said, and also fixed Minjoo’s robes herself because its tie loosened. The right side of the robe actually slipped off past her shoulders, Yujin made sure to fix that too.

 

Once Minjoo was looking presentable again, she smiled at her then pressed a kiss on top of the maiden’s forehead. “See you in a bit.” She said, and helped Minjoo to get down from the table before walking out of the room.

 

Minjoo followed her figure until it disappeared, her heart beating erratically. Yujin was such a gentlewoman. She always cared for Minjoo so much. And her sweet actions were making her fall deeper and deeper.

 

Snorting to herself, Minjoo decided to eat dinner while smiling, “Ahn Yujin, I’m just so in love with you.”

 

///

 

It was spectacular, both Yujin and Minjoo were happy — not really counting the days of their tragic parting. But it didn’t mean that time wasn’t running. Their whole month turned into three weeks, turned into two weeks, and then… the last week. With that, it hit Yujin at full force especially when she got Sungchan’s letter about preparing to go home and by that day, he was definitely on his way.

 

Although the marriage wouldn’t happen immediately once Sungchan arrived, it was still a very short time. She needed to keep her distance from Minjoo when her brother was finally back to take Minjoo away. That alone made Yujin so weak and horrible already.

 

Because of that very reason, Minjoo noticed Yujin’s gloomy mood immediately.

 

They were in the pavilion, the lake that was surrounding it was frozen. It was the middle of winter, and it was freezing. Although there wasn’t snow that day, it was still as cold as ever.

 

Minjoo noticed Yujin’s sudden silence while she was reading. The swordswoman was very silent and unusually sad so Minjoo was also sad and worried for the younger woman.

 

She reached for Yujin’s freezing hands then started to blow some hot air to them which caught Yujin’s attention, her heart was moved thanks to Minjoo’s sweet and concerned gesture.

 

“Are you feeling alright?” asked Minjoo, finally, very concerned.

 

Upon hearing that, Yujin’s small smile faded away. She did not say anything but Minjoo did not push her, just holding her hands tight — and that made Yujin’s heart ache even more. As if a dagger just stabbed her heart and twisted it.

 

She did not even realize that she was crying already until Minjoo reached for her face, wiping those tears away as she hushed her down. Yujin was just insanely sad.

 

“My love,” Minjoo called her softly, and Yujin just sobbed harder when she heard Minjoo call her that. “What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

 

Yujin shook her head softly, holding Minjoo’s hands that were cupping her face. “We need to stop this relationship next week, Minjoo. Sungchan is on his way home.” She whispered, and bit her lower lip. “We have to let each other go and remain… guard and lady relationship.”

 

Minjoo’s eyes went solemn, pursing her lips together as she sighed. “Let’s run away,” She once again offered, even more determined. “Let’s get out of here and be happy somewhere far, Yujin. Start something new. Just the two of us, please.” She pleaded softly.

 

Yujin laughed bitterly, “We can’t, we can’t. Minjoo. We have nowhere else to go, and we won’t be able to live properly. My family will hunt us to death.” She said, stating the possible facts. Minjoo did not say anything, and just snuggled to Yujin closer.

 

Snowflakes started to fall from the gray, gloomy skies as they hugged and cried to each other, thinking how unfair the world was for them — only letting them be happy temporarily in each other’s arms. Was there going to be a lifetime where the both of them could be happy for as long as they could, for eternity?

 

Cruel fate of a swordswoman and a noble lady who fell madly in love with each other.

 

///

 

A week had passed easily, and Yujin and Minjoo found themselves tangled with each other on Minjoo’s bed, cuddling each other silently in the dark. The lamp was flickering already so the light was dimmer than usual.

 

It was past midnight already but both of them couldn’t even sleep at all, just cherishing their moment as they stared at the ceiling of Minjoo’s room. It was a cold night but the thick blankets and each other’s body warmth helped to ease the coldness lingering on their skin.

 

Minjoo was tracing the fully healed scar on Yujin’s bare chest as her mind ran. Tomorrow, or rather, later — she was going to be greeted by the Crown Prince and ask her hand for marriage. She absolutely couldn’t say ‘no’. She actually had an argument with her father earlier because of it, determined to call the marriage off but nothing.

 

All she could do was cry in Yujin’s arms.

 

A sigh escaped from Yujin’s lips that broke Minjoo’s trance. She instead focused her attention on her lover, snuggling to her closer then stared at her. “What are you thinking?”

 

Yujin glanced at her, and under the orange candle light, Minjoo could see how soft and sad the swordswoman’s eyes looked. “You,” answered Yujin in a heartbeat.

 

Minjoo scoffed playfully, pinching her nose. “Dork.”

 

The maiden retrieved her hand and let it slide down on Yujin’s upper body, feeling all those muscles, bumps, and scar marks under her palm. She also felt the binding cloth on Yujin’s chest but she finally reached her target after little caressing — the side of Yujin’s stomach, where she got stabbed by the bandit when she was protecting Minjoo from them.

 

“Does it still hurt?” asked Minjoo in a quiet murmur.

 

Yujin felt Minjoo’s fingers caress the scar and shook her head, “No. It’s fully healed now and it feels numb.” She replied in a low whisper then leaned in to press a kiss on Minjoo’s crown. The maiden just melted.

 

Silence engulfed them after. The only sound that could be heard was the low howl of the wind outside, the flickering of the candle light, and their soft breathing. But if one listened closely and intently enough — they could hear Yujin and Minjoo’s hearts crying and shattering in sync.

 

“One last beg, Yujin,” Minjoo finally spoke up, her voice cracking, and tears welling up in her eyes. “Run away with me.” She whispered against Yujin’s neck.

 

And Yujin’s hold around her tightened, “I love you to death, Minjoo. For this life and this world, for the next lifetimes, and other universes.” Yujin murmured as a lone tear slipped from her eye, planting another shaky kiss on Minjoo’s forehead.

 

“But we can’t escape this cruel fate of ours.”

 

///

 

The Crown Prince had already arrived in the capital, and went straight to the Kim estate after greeting the King in the palace. Early in the morning, there was a fuzz around Hanseong. The nosy vendors and housewives were already creating gossip about the royal procession in the streets early in the morning.

 

Sungchan was blooming, looking ecstatic to see his future wife again after almost a year. He greeted his sister first, thanking her personally for protecting Minjoo with all her ability. He would be forever grateful for her service. But Yujin couldn’t even smile genuinely, just nodding to her brother, wanting to puke.

 

And finally, after a long while, Sungchan officially asked Minjoo to be his consort, life-time partner. Minjoo was in front of him that moment, eyeing him emotionlessly but she still looked gorgeous as ever. Her hair was down with accessories, wearing a beautiful hanbok.

 

The family circled them, and watched in astonishment as Sungchan proposed in his own way, to win Minjoo. But he would never be the winner of Minjoo’s heart, it was already taken by his own older sister — Yujin.

 

Minjoo’s eyes found Yujin in the crowd, eyes hopeless and teary. Yujin stared back, her shoulders slumped, wanting to cry and beg her brother that she would take Minjoo instead but… all she could do was clench her fists and look away to avoid the temptation to unsheath her sword and threaten everyone so she could take Minjoo away from this forsaken place.

 

Yujin’s world turned gray still even though she knew Minjoo’s answer was ingenuine and so forced, “I will wed you, your Highness the Crown Prince.”

 

The day after, Yujin was escorting Minjoo to the palace. The maiden was in the carriage, surrounded by other guards but Yujin made sure she was beside Minjoo’s window. She was very quiet that even Chaeyeon was getting weirded by her actions. But she couldn’t care less, she was absolutely beaten and broken. She was going to witness the love of her life get married to her brother and she had no idea how to stop it.

 

“Yujin,” Minjoo’s familiar voice entered her ears so she immediately looked down and saw that the lady was peeking her head out of the window of the carriage, staring at her.

 

“Lady Kim,” Yujin called, and maneuvered Mongchi to walk closer to Minjoo’s side. Minjoo gave her a look of disapproval when Yujin was once again formal around her.

 

She did not complain and just gestured over, asking Yujin to lean closer. And so, with a little difficulty, Yujin leaned down, holding onto the reins tightly. However, Minjoo gestured her to go closer so she did, peeking her whole head inside the carriage because Minjoo kept asking her to move closer.

 

And then, when she wasn’t expecting it, Minjoo cupped her cheeks and pressed a kiss on her lips which made her yelp — backing away immediately, frantically looking around if someone had seen it. The other side of the carriage was covered so Chaeyeon, who was riding and guarding the other side, did not see it.

 

“Minjoo,” She whispered in a warning tone.

 

Minjoo just shrugged, a smirk on her lips, “Thanks for the advice, Yujin-ssi.” She said in a loud voice that could be heard then pulled the curtain over so Yujin wouldn’t be able to see her.

 

With a sigh, Yujin could only sigh and shake her head, letting it pass. She pulled over her hood because it was snowing again on their way to the palace.

 

However, they encountered something… unusual on the way. They were traveling to the main palace and were going to the other route to avoid people but it seemed like some people took advantage of it.

 

“Halt,” The leader of the troupe announced, raising his hand when he noticed something off at the snowy pathway.

 

Yujin puffed out a breath, vanishing into the air soon, then squinted her eyes. She saw figures near the distance, and they looked like they were waiting for something — for someone, for them. And there was a bad tug in her gut. That didn’t look good at all.

 

“Prepare,” Chaeyeon mumbled as she looked around the area, eyes sharp.

 

Yujin felt it, and there were other beings approaching in different directions. She gritted her teeth, and stood her guard, clutching her sword that was strapped on her side tightly as she leaned over to Minjoo.

 

“Minjoo, prepare the bow and dagger with you, just in case. There’s a situation. And don’t take off the cover of your carriage.” Yujin whispered as quietly as possible but loud enough for Minjoo to hear it inside.

 

“Wh-What’s wrong?” Minjoo’s muffled voice could be heard.

 

Finally, the other black figures appeared from the trees that surrounded the pathway. And the others that were blocking their way started to advance forward. Yujin quickly counted subtly, and there were about twenty of them. And the guards that escorted Minjoo were just ten, excluding them. They were outnumbered and at one glance, she knew that they weren’t just amateurs.

 

“An ambush,” Yujin whispered, and using her thumb, she pushed the hilt to slightly draw the sword out. “But don’t panic. We’ll clear this up.” Minjoo did not answer this time.

 

The man in the middle stepped forward, as if he was the leader of these bandits. “Hand over the Eldest Lady of the Kim estate — and no one will get hurt.”

 

Yujin suppressed a growl in .

 

The leader of the troupe titled his chin up confidently, “I’m afraid we can’t do that, the lady is the Crown Prince’s future consort so I order you to step back and let us travel peacefully.” He yelled back but no one budged, he clicked his tongue.

 

“Then,” The man dressed in all black took another step forward, “We’ll take her forcefully from you all, death to death!” He fired back and drew his sword. Every black hooded figure also drew their swords, and the guards did the same — especially Yujin who was clutching her sword hard but then… she felt something off above.

 

She looked up and saw that there were three archers up on the tree, already aiming for them, bowstrings drawn back.

 

“Chaeyeon, archers up on the trees!” Yujin yelled, and as if on cue, the long range bandits shot their horses. And they all attacked forward.

 

In no time, some of their horses were dead, lifeless bodies laying on the ground — painting the snow red. Yujin managed to kill some bandits while she was riding Mongchi but when things were getting out of hand, she finally let go — the horse tried to protect himself by running around, smart, even helping them by running over some flustered enemies.

 

Yujin swung her sword expertly but the bandit blocked it with his own sword, and the swordswoman’s eyes narrowed, continuing to attack in different direction but the bandit was well-trained, managing to slash the flesh of her arm but Yujin immediately killed him off then proceeded to help the guard who was having a hard time fighting.

 

She continued like that, and kept checking the carriage behind from time to time but then, someone attacked her from the side. Yujin swiftly managed to take him down with three strikes of her sword, taking a deep breath but unknown to her — someone approached her from behind which caught her off-guard, she turned around and was greeted by him. To be honest, she thought she would get heavily injured there because she wasn’t going to be able to dodge that fast but she was surprised that an arrow went past through his chest out of the blue.

 

The bandit laid there on the snowy ground, blood pooling around him. And Yujin looked at the one who helped her, surprised to see that it was Minjoo! She was already out of the carriage, shakily carrying a bow.

 

“Yujin!” Minjoo shouted, lowering her bow, worried — she almost hadn’t shot on time and despite her nervousness, she managed to shoot the arrow square right into the bandit’s chest.

 

Yujin ran to her, “Minjoo!” She shouted back, and checked if she was unharmed. Thankfully, she wasn’t. She held her close then looked around, the snowy ground was full of lifeless soldiers and bandits, the snow turning crimson red because of the blood.

 

Minjoo grimaced at the sight and looked away, pressing her face against Yujin’s chest. The latter just hugged her protectively as she held her sword tight.

 

“I think this is the last one, I tried my best not to kill this one for interrogation.” Chaeyeon said, huffing as she dragged an alive bandit who was holding his bleeding leg. The other guard was injured but not that fatal. Yujin had gotten a few injuries too, a cut on her temple and arm but other than that, nothing.

 

It was one of the few archers. Yujin glared at him, jaw clenched as she looked around. There were four of them left after the fight. “Let’s head to the palace, quickly.” She ordered, and they immediately did.

 

They left the carriage. Yujin and Minjoo rode Mongchi on the way to the palace while the others rode with the remaining horses. The injured bandit was strapped to the back of Chaeyeon’s horse, grunting at the rough travel.

 

When they reached the palace, Yujin helped Minjoo to get down. “Assist Lady Kim!” She ordered the servants who flinched at her voice then flocked over the lady but the latter wouldn’t leave her side.

 

“You’re bleeding on your head and arm,” Minjoo pointed out worriedly.

 

Yujin just smiled at her reassuringly, “I’ll be alright.”

 

With that, Minjoo was assisted because she got dirty after the sudden ambush. Yujin went straight to her father and brother first to report what happened before cleaning up to see Minjoo. The King was absolutely furious, Sungchan — too. He personally visited the captured bandit and tried to pry out some answers from him.

 

Yujin tucked Minjoo into the bed first, they had to rest in the palace first. The situation earlier drained Minjoo so she was able to sleep immediately after being cooed by Yujin and tucking her under the sheets.

 

After that, Yujin pressed a kiss on Minjoo’s forehead before going to see her brother. Sungchan was summoning and waiting for her to discuss what happened.

 

“Crown Prince,” Yujin greeted with a bow.

 

Sungchan smiled at her, “Third Sister.” He greeted back.

 

They talked about what happened and the Crown Prince told her that he had executed the bandit already after questioning him. They got some answers because the bandit was gullible.

 

Sungchan’s face was dark as he said the details, “It’s Juyeon.” He said, and Yujin was surprised at what she heard. As if Sungchan read her expression, he nodded to confirm. “Third brother Juyeon.”

 

“He saw Minjoo a year ago, and… apparently, fell in love at first sight also. He actually begged His Majesty months ago if he could marry Minjoo instead but of course, he did not allow it because Minjoo is already destined to be wed to me but he went insane.” Sungchan told her the details.

 

And Yujin was getting dizzier and dizzier as Sungchan kept telling her what was happening. Someone fell madly in love with Minjoo’s charms once again. Juyeon was so poisoned by Minjoo’s beauty that he was ready to fight the Crown Prince for her.

 

She clenched her fists. Now, Minjoo was in more danger. Her brothers would fight for her even after the royal marriage which was not good. They couldn’t do much to Juyeon because he was an important figure in the palace also.

 

Yujin didn’t want someone innocent and pure like Minjoo to get entangled in this kind of mess! Minjoo did not deserve this. She wasn’t a toy.

 

After their discussion, Yujin walked back to Minjoo’s room in a daze. When she went back, Minjoo was still sleeping so she just sat at the side and stared at the beautiful maiden with the face that could make the royal brothers kill each other so one of them could have her.

 

Minjoo did not deserve this at all! She would never be happy to be in this family affair.

 

Biting her lower lip, Yujin was slowly getting tempted to do something reckless and risky. She heaved out a heavy sigh, reaching for Minjoo’s face, and admired her while she was asleep. Yujin stared at her with a loving gaze.

 

“My love,” Yujin whispered, her jaw clenched. “I do not want you in this deranged family.”

 

///

 

Minjoo would stay in the estate until the day of the marriage. The estate was more guarded. After the ambush, it wasn’t the last time that Minjoo would get attacked. Another kidnapping attempt was made when Minjoo was on her way back to the estate.

 

It really scared Minjoo less, wanting to run away so bad but what was the meaning of freedom without Yujin anyway? She was willing to suffer in this royal marriage if it meant that she would get to keep Yujin by her side.

 

A week passed, and the day after the marriage approached. Everyone in the estate was happy for their eldest miss minus the Kim sisters. They were all crying and huddling around Minjoo. And the latter could only comfort them.

 

They all hugged and gave Minjoo a very encouraging smile. They were being too emotional, as if they wouldn’t see Minjoo again.

 

Garam, with her red nose, hugged the eldest tightly. “Unnie, we want you to be happy no matter what.” And they continued to cry and all until the middle of the night.

 

Minjoo sat by the window, eyeing the estate grounds full of soldiers that were guarding the area. She could only sigh, and hug her knees, feeling extra loneliner. She wanted to throw up, really. She couldn’t even digest food because whenever she would think that she was going to be wedded tomorrow — she would lose her appetite.

 

The whole kingdom was even celebrating because of the wonderful news of the Crown Prince’s marriage. They never really mentioned who was the bride but they all had an idea on who might it be; either one of the four Kim sisters. Even now, the folks were already celebrating, and joyous. This kind of event was very rare, and people tend to be the happiest because it was a blissful happenings and the King would usually give out blessings to the townspeople whenever his kids were getting married off.

 

Minjoo could only sigh, and sob to herself, the reality slowly sinking into her painfully. And Yujin wasn’t even beside her! She had been missing for almost three days already and Minjoo had no clue where that woman was. She missed her greatly, Minjoo needed Yujin to be here because she was about to go insane.

 

But Minjoo thought that Yujin was finally distancing herself already, that she was also hurting because of the fact that she was going to marry away to her brother.

 

Minjoo laughed bitterly, patting her aching chest then wiped her in tears. Even though she didn’t want it, all she could do was embrace her cruel fate because she had no options anymore. She wanted to escape but in this kind of situation… she would fail immediately. Just the thought of leaving Yujin behind already made her stay and let fate approach her.

 

She was thinking of how her life turned out to be like this because of a brief encounter when suddenly, there was a knock on her door.

 

“Minjoo,”

 

And it was Yujin!

 

She immediately perked up, and shouted, “Come in!” She happily hopped on her feet and greeted Yujin who entered the room, closing it, and wearing a very serious expression. She stared down at Minjoo, not greeting her or anything which made Minjoo feel off.

 

The maiden’s grin faded a little, “What’s wrong?” She asked, biting her lower lip.

 

Taking a deep breath, fire started to ignite in Yujin’s orbs — she reached for Minjoo’s hand, eyes not leaving her as she said.

 

“Let’s run away, Minjoo. Let me take you away from this madness… to freedom, with me.”

 

///

 

A clueless guard was lingering around the back gate, doing his rounds. He let out a yawn because it was past midnight already and he hadn’t gotten enough sleep but he needed to continue doing his job or he would be beheaded.

 

He was about to continue walking around to ease the sleepiness when suddenly, he heard some horse hooves approaching. He saw Yujin, looking worried and panicky, and there was an unconscious guard behind her — leaning against Yujin’s back.

 

“Friend!” Yujin shouted, “Open the back gate! I have to take this lass to the nearest healer!” She ordered.

 

And of course, he immediately did. “Your Highness, what has happened?” He asked out of concern as he opened the gate for them.

 

“She fainted, she’s running a very severe fever. I need to take her to a healer, right now.” Yujin replied, her eyes hard then glanced at the estate. “Guard the estate well for me!” She shouted and finally went away.

 

The guard just nodded in an oblivious manner, and once Yujin disappeared, the guard locked up the gate — sighing in relief to himself because he did well. But unbeknownst to her…

 

Yujin went past the healer’s place and continued to maneuver Mongchi out of the capital, going past drunk citizens that were celebrating in advance. And once they were out of the capital, where there weren’t any human beings that could be seen anymore…

 

The ‘unconscious’ person sat up properly, her hand holding Yujin’s robes tightly while she took off the hood that was covering her face. She was wearing a typical guard outfit but she wasn’t even a guard, and she didn’t have any fever at all.

 

“Well, that’s easy,” Minjoo muttered from the back and Yujin could already sense the lady’s big smile which made her smile already.

 

Yujin stopped for a moment and they switched positions, Minjoo sat on the front so it would be easier. She could protect Minjoo well in this too. She tucked the stray hair away from Minjoo’s face behind her ear before pulling the hood over her head herself with a small smile.

 

“It’s just the beginning, Minjoo. The real challenge to be able to obtain freedom will start tomorrow.”

 

Minjoo hummed in response, pressing a kiss on Yujin’s jaw. “I know. We’ll go through storms and sunshines together.” She said, and sighed to herself. “I’ll surely miss my sisters.” She remembered the moment they all last shared earlier, that was why they were sadly smiling and everything because Yujin told them about the plan and the sisters all agreed for her to take Minjoo away.

 

Yujin smiled at her reassuringly. “Once the fire dies down, we’ll try to reach out, my love.” She mumbled, resting her chin on top of Minjoo’s head.

 

Minjoo melted and leaned against her lover. “I love you.” She whispered

 

Yujin grinned, “I love you too.”

 

And they ran away, chasing the sun, chasing freedom.

 

///

 

The palace was in absolute chaos the next morning because they couldn’t find the future consort of the Crown Prince and the Third Princess in the estate.

 

Yeji immediately reported it to the patriarch of the Kim family when she was about to wake up Minjoo. She was very chirpy as she knocked on Minjoo’s room. Oddly, Yujin wasn’t guarding the room — no one else was guarding the room and when there weren’t any responses or anything, Yeji finally decided to break in, panicking.

 

Minjoo was nowhere to be seen, a piece of parchment letter was neatly placed on top of her bed.

 

To my dearest family.

 

Written in Minjoo’s handwriting and so, Yeji bolted out of the room and ran towards Minister Kim.

 

The poor guy almost had a heart attack when he read the letter with hard eyes. Written in the letter, Minjoo’s apologies and about desperately seeking freedom. She firmly stated that she didn’t want to enter the gruesome and lavish life of a royal, she would rather kill herself — also reminding him to take care of her sisters well, and never force them, just let them live happily.

 

“I know you’re kind, dear father. I know you love me and my sisters so much but I hope you will set greediness for power aside this time and be a real patriarch. This freedom will be my last request to you as a daughter. I will take care of myself well, and I’m not alone in this free journey of mine. I’m with her Highness Third Princess, Yujin — my partner for this life and world, and other lifetimes. Please, forgive me and Yujin but this is the last thing I want. To be free, to be Kim Minjoo, to be with Ahn Yujin.

 

If you’re worried about the King’s wrath, Yujin got it covered. He won’t do anything to you and the family. Please forgive me, dear Father. Be healthy and happy with Mother.”

 

Minister Kim almost fainted on the spot because of the letter. The Kim matriarch helped him, shouting at his name worriedly. Freedom. His eldest daughter wanted freedom. As her father, he would comply with her request but knowing that Minjoo fled away just like that with Yujin and there was a huge chance that she wouldn’t be seen by him anymore — that made him grow weak and sad. His shock over Yujin and Minjoo’s unusual relationship greatly damaged him too. He couldn’t accept it but he knew that Minjoo was in good hands.

 

In the palace, it was very chaotic because of the news that the future consort was missing alongside the Third Princess on the exact day of the wedding too. Literal chaos!

 

However, the King remained calm as he stared at the view outside. His attendants were panicking, and kept blabbering about the disappearance but he just hushed them up and summoned the Crown Prince.

 

While waiting, he took the letter that his third daughter left before fleeing away with Minjoo.

 

He opened it and read it with a heavy heart.

 

Yujin opened the letter with sincere apologies, and then it went on. And his heart even became heavier when Yujin called him ‘father’ in the letter, for the first time ever.

 

“Your Majesty, my Father. Sincere apologies. I know little sorry won’t do anything but I’m still hopeful that you’ll take them and forgive this troublesome daughter. I took Minjoo away. Yes, I ran her away from this madness. In the first place, Minjoo never wanted this at all. She got forced and she’s still desperate to go away. Originally, I wanted to take her away ever since but I couldn’t because I would never break my duty — however, this time. I’ll break my streak and go against the royal family for Lady Kim.

 

Father, I love Kim Minjoo. Yes, I am in love with my brother’s supposed to be consort.

 

And I can’t just stand still and witness Minjoo marry someone who isn’t me. My brothers are willing to fight death to death for Minjoo. I can’t let that happen. She deserves to live in a lifestyle she wished — and I’m the perfect partner for her, only me.

 

We’re in love, madly in love even. The way you describe how you love my mother… I feel the same towards Minjoo.

 

I wanted to beg and kneel in front of you and Sungchan before I took her away but I can’t take that risk and get beheaded — Minjoo would be alone if ever. I do not want that. Through this letter, I’m apologizing with my all, begging you desperately, asking you forgiveness, Your Majesty. I know that it’s not enough, I deserve more than death for this crime but… please.

 

I never belonged in this beautiful palace, I belong to the wild, exploring, and traveling with Minjoo. Let us love and be happy.

 

As your daughter, I’ve never asked you anything but now, I beg you to let me be free, I beg you to let Minjoo free with me, I beg you not to harm her family, I beg you not to harm our friends, I beg you with all my heart, Father. Just punish me in the next lifetime. I’ll make it up to you.

 

This one letter isn’t enough to explain everything but still, please understand me and my reasons.

 

And also, I will be forever grateful to you, Father. Long live the King.”

 

At the very bottom, it was signed ‘Rascal Third Princess, Yujin’.

 

The King sighed to himself, putting the letter away then stood up from his seat — walking to the window and let his mind run silently as he stared at the sky, thinking of his daughter.

 

“Yuhee,” He whispered, taking a deep breath. “Our daughter is really troublesome, like you. What should I do with her…” He talked to himself and Sungchan entered the study, giving his greetings and courtesy before walking closer to his father.

 

He looked calm despite his bride getting taken away by his own sister. He was furious yesterday and just fighting his brother who wanted to kidnap Minjoo for himself too but… wow, expect the unexpected, really.

 

“What are your thoughts?” The King asked, breaking the silence between them.

 

Sungchan hummed, “I don’t know,” He mumbled. “I’m not even mad at what the third sister had done, even after I’ve read her letter. She just took Minjoo to safety. I know her intentions.” He replied with a sigh, “I just feel hollow because I can’t do anything but to set Minjoo free. Guilty too because I used my title and power to win her over.” He continued.

 

The King was silent, and sighed. He also regrets dragging the poor woman along because he wanted Sungchan to marry someone already.

 

“I owe third sister a lot, from protecting me, teaching me, advising me, taking care of me” He suddenly said, also staring outside, and glanced at his father with sad eyes. “And I’ll pay her back through this.” He then faced the King.

 

“Your Majesty,” Sungchan kneeled before his Father.

 

“Rise, my son!” Shinjong immediately yelled but Sungchan stayed still.

 

He lowered his head, resting it on the back of his hands, “I, the Crown Prince, Yi Sungchan — begs your Majesty to let the third sister and Minjoo run away and live happily on their own. Please do not punish the Kim family and punish me instead because I was the one who forced this to happen.” He begged.

 

The King sighed heavily and helped his son to rise as he squeezed Sungchan’s shoulder, “This happening today will definitely cause some chaos within the public and court, however, I’ve decided to let them be. To make it up to Yujin and her mother.”

 

///

 

Joseon Dynasty, Year 1532

King Ahjong’s reign, Year Second

 

A woman dressed in blue simple hanbok woke up from her rest. She blinked warily, feeling a little bit cold — she stared at the other side of the bed, the occupant was nowhere to be found. That explained why the woman was feeling cold.

 

The said woman finally stood up from the bed and started to open the windows of the little hanok where she and her ‘husband’ lived in — the house was so small and cold but it was full of happiness and this was what the woman could only ask for. A simple life.

 

For two minutes, she stared at the view outside of the small house: the sea. It gave her the perfect view of the glistening ocean from a distance, the sun was yet to rise. She had already gotten used to this view after living there for years.

 

She used to live in a very, very spacious estate so it was a downgrade to other people. However, to her — it was an upgrade because she felt like she owned the whole wide world, because she was a free woman.

 

She then started a fire, boiled some water, and cooked a simple breakfast for her and her partner that was most likely out to help some citizens. If you ever asked her to cook something years ago, she wouldn’t be able to cook a single dish but she needed to survive and learned how to do it along the way. It was one of her favorite things to do aside from reading, writing, and archery.

 

In the middle of cooking, someone knocked on the door and she thought it was her partner but the latter usually knocked three times then a pause, another two fast knocks. For her to know that it was her partner, for safety.

 

“Ju-nim!” A familiar voice of a middle aged woman called and she immediately stood up, opening the door for her. She was greeted by an apologetic smile from the ahjumma. “Sorry to bother you this morning, I have an errand for the master in a bit… the herbs you’ve given to me for my husband ran out already.”

 

The woman was a healer in a small town near the sea, and people usually went to her if they needed something. And of course, she was happy to help.

 

She grabbed the pouch full of herbs and gave it to the woman, “Same instructions like before.” said the woman.

 

The ahjumma looked very ecstatic then took out a few coins from her pouch but the doctor immediately waved it off, “No need to pay me, Auntie Song.”

 

She gave her medicines for free because this was her job, to help people for free. Sometimes, there were stubborn ones that wanted to tip her so she would take the money. Usually these patients would pay them back with food and she would take them wholeheartedly… just not money.

 

She was skilled in medicine after reading countless books ever since she was young. This time though, she could make her own experiments and none really failed. All were effective and people were really getting saved thanks to her. She managed to show her real potential.

 

In the small village near the sea, she was only the people’s hope because other healers were all quack. She and her partner were loved instantly in the village when they moved in.

 

“Thank you, really, Ju-nim.” The ahjumma chirped, really grateful. “I also want to thank your husband, Yu-nim, who fixed our roof yesterday. I’ll make sure to give you pork belly soon.” After that she bid her goodbye.

 

The doctor continued to cook, her chest was light because she managed to help people again. And soon, once the breakfast was set. There was a familiar set of knocks that made the woman smile.

 

The door opened and she was greeted by a tall figure — smiling at her, eyes forming into crescents, and dimples showing.

 

“Good morning to my lovely wife,” The husband greeted, chirpy then approached the wife — pressing a kiss on her lips.

 

The woman chuckled, getting caged on her partner’s strong arms, “Good morning to my wife, too,” She murmured then leaned away a bit to stare at her lover’s face, poking her sharp nose. “Ahn Yujin. Let’s eat breakfast.”

 

Of course, the couple who lived in the small hanok was none other than Kim Minjoo and Ahn Yujin themselves. The ones who ran away from the capital to escape their cruel fate. One was the former eldest lady of the great Kin clan, a noble woman. One was a former swordswoman guard and had the royal title of Highness the Third Princess that she hated so much.

 

But now, they were just normal living citizens – much happier that they had no title and were just simple people. Kim Minjoo and Ahn Yujin. One went by the alias ‘Ju’ — a doctor. One went by the name ‘Yu’ and hid behind the identity of a man so they wouldn’t raise any suspicion — an all around: swordsmanship teacher, a spy, a fisher, a builder, an errand ‘boy’, and many more.

 

After they ran away from the palace, the capital, their so-called home. They never looked back ever again. And it was five years ago. Yes, five years ago — time flew quickly.

 

In the first year, it was hard for them because they were nomads. Although no one really tried to find them from the palace, they couldn’t be too sure and kept moving places. It went on like that for three years but Minjoo and Yujin were happy alongside their horse. Yujin brought a lot of gold but they shouldn’t spend it carelessly.

 

And finally, they reached this small village at the very end of a city called Jeolla-do.

 

Now, they were happy and content with what they were today — disguising their own selves as a happy married couple. Even though they were not living lavishly, it was better. Even though they have to sacrifice some of their passion.

 

At least they were free and the happiest together.

 

Yujin did not give up swordsmanship — she was a master and people would pay her for her lessons. And sometimes, she worked as a spy for big time families around the city. She wasn’t full time and had to work around different jobs to earn money but she loved it… being versatile while her lovely wife mostly stayed in their house to create medicine and attend to the citizens who needed help.

 

They were happy, they were the happiest. This was all they could wish for. Free.

 

As they ate, they talked about the newest gossip in the town. And the breakfast was very lively and hearty, they smiled and laughed at each other.

 

“Let’s watch the sunrise together at the shore.” Yujin suddenly suggested and Minjoo smiled sweely.

 

“Should we?”

 

And the couple found their own selves going to the beach hand in hand. Minjoo kept walking to the stony pathways, balancing herself there while Yujin would help and guide her with a smile.

 

A lot really happened in the past five years. It started out rough but now, they were here — free and alive, doing whatever their hearts desired.

 

Back in the capital, they stayed in contact with Chaeyeon who kept updating them about the Kim sisters. They were also in contact with Yena so they would sometimes update their friends. Just last year, they reunited with Yuri and Yena when they were traveling — and the two, unsurprisingly, ended up as lovers and fled away to explore too. They were so happy. Jiwon built her own bakery in the capital and doing well, Wonyoung got married to Sunghoon and was happy. Chaeyeon became a Battalion leader despite being a woman.

 

Sungchan inherited the throne two years ago and had been ruling the kingdom while the former King, Great King Shinjong was still alive and managing some of the royal affairs to help the current ruler. He also got married — to another Kim. And it was Ning. It wasn’t a forced marriage. Both fell in love genuinely after the mess and got married three years ago. Sullyoon was working in the palace while Garam was training to be an educator as of the moment.

 

They only reached out to their family members that were in the palace after three years just to be sure. Although what happened five years ago was a mess, everybody moved on when the King declared an announcement. No one spoke about the incident until people forgot the shameful incident.

 

Yujin was happy because her father really did oblige her wishes and she was actually going to reach out to him soon to give her utmost thanks.

 

And now, everyone was more than happy and this was how it was supposed to be.

 

Yujin hugged Minjoo from behind, they shared one cloak as they stared at the glistening sea. It was windy and still dim because the sun hadn’t risen up yet. Both were quiet and enjoyed each other’s warmth. They embraced in silence, and both were feeling peace.

 

Minjoo’s mind ran, suddenly reminiscing about her and Yujin’s hardships for the past years but they remained strong, growing together. She stared at the sea that she came to love. Before, she and Yujin only used to stare at the small lake at the back of their estate but now — they got the whole ocean for themselves to stare at and admire.

 

After getting out of that ‘cage’ called Kim estate, her so-called home that suffocated her so much… Minjoo felt so free and happy, this was what she was seeking for her whole life and she finally obtained it with the love of her life so she became even happier.

 

Minjoo was just simply grateful that Yujin was with her the whole time, she made everything perfect.

 

Before, Minjoo seeked desperately and fantasized freedom alone — she didn’t care, all she wanted was to explore these vast lands and help people, discover new things. All alone. She wasn’t expecting that Yujin would be running away with her at the very end despite disagreeing everytime Minjoo would plead her.

 

And to be honest, running away, tasting freedom, exploring the world, helping people, growing old with Yujin was much better than going through this journey of life alone.

 

Minjoo would be forever grateful to her wife, her lifetime partner, her world, her everything — her Ahn Yujin, the lone swordswoman.

 

And it was the same for Yujin, not regretting taking her away from the palace, taking a risk — now, she was happy with the woman of her dreams, the woman whom she loved with her whole heart and soul. Her colors. The purpose of her life.

 

Yujin and Minjoo were just both glad that fate brought them together in an unfortunate circumstance but they managed to work it well, tweaking destiny a little bit by being bolder. Now, look at them… a happy couple.

 

Minjoo broke off the hug and faced her partner, smiling at her sweetly. Yujin stared down at her as if she was the most important thing in this world — oh, Minjoo was indeed the most important thing in this world for Yujin. And it was the same for Minjoo.

 

“Have I ever told you that I love you ‘till death set us apart, Third Princess?” Minjoo murmured, lightly teasing. The title came out a little bit foreign out of her own mouth.

 

Yujin laughed, her dimples poking out, and her eyes couldn’t be seen anymore because of how big her smile was. “Lady Kim,” She called out softly in her husky voice that made Minjoo shiver, her heart fluttering at the old formality. “Not even death can set us apart, even in heaven or hell — I’ll find you endlessly. In other lifetimes, in other worlds, in other timelines, in other universes, in other dimensions — I’ll find you, chase you, and love you only.”

 

Minjoo grinned, well, Yujin was very good at flowery words now. It felt like she was the writer and not her. She coiled her arms around her lover, staring at her with sparkly eyes, “In every lifetime, in every world, in every universe, in every dimension. I, Kim Minjoo, is still going to be solely and wholly yours until the very end of time, Ahn Yujin.” whispered the woman, and leaned in.

 

They kissed as the sun rose up from the east side. The waves gently crashed on the shore beside them, drenching their bare feet but they couldn’t care less as they kissed happily and passionately as if they could go on like that forever.

 

“I’m eternally yours too, Kim Minjoo,” Yujin whispered against Minjoo’s lips, her hands gently yet possessively holding her wife’s waist.

 

And that was the story of the lone swordswoman who never felt she belonged in the great palace and royalty, and the noble lady who just wanted freedom.

 

Certainly not the beginning, and the end of their story had yet to come. They still have a lot of days, weeks, months, and years ahead of them. But even if their story would end this lifetime, their story would continue until the next lifetime, and another lifetime, and so on. And those were the stories that would be told next time. And it would never end. Never.

 

///

 

“You don’t always need to embrace your cruel fate, you can run away from it — escape from your fate. Just gather enough courage and make sure that regret won’t come and eat you up.”

 

///

 

A/N: and that’s the end! i hope you guys enjoyed this as much as i enjoyed writing this. i knew that there were a lot of mistakes and inaccuracies but thank you for bearing with me and still reading until the very end!

 

truthfully, i wasn’t confident writing this one because i never wrote historical fic yet, and history is my weakness but still, i took the challenge. hopefully, i managed to write this well. i tried my very best just so i can give you guys something worthy to read.

 

also, thanks to this certain someone who commissioned me to do this wonderful work. i’m really grateful to you. i hope we can work together again soon~ and i hope i managed to write the story you want well!

 

and with that, i hope you guys will comment down your thoughts about the story. it means a lot :D and if you’re too shy, go to my cc: rosesrunaway and drop your thoughts~

 

thank you again for reading and see you around! stay safe!

( also, you can buy me a kofi ;) https://ko-fi.com/rosesrunaway )