Convolution

Conjecture

“So, when are you two going to be back on speaking terms?” Yubin’s voice droned as her finger pulled the now warm trigger.

The sharp ping of the bullet hitting the metallic target echoed around the large range for a moment before Yubin loaded another round. She opened the range to give Bora and Yoohyeon a chance to finally talk again but a certain demon was glued to Minji’s side. Not even Siyeon could pry the demon off. The strength of a determined demon was a sight to behold. 

“Does everyone know??” Yoohyeon tried to sound annoyed, but she was never good at hiding her emotions from the very members that saw her grow up. The hint of remorse was still heavy in the back of her voice. She leaned against Handong’s shoulder as Gahyeon offered a comforting knee rub. The trio sat against the wall, technically duo as Gahyeon was draped across Handong’s lap, as they waited for Yubin and Siyeon to finish zero sighting their most used guns in preparation for the upcoming mission. 

“It’s been a couple of days, of course we would notice,” Siyeon was next to Yubin as her spotter. Her focus was down range and she muttered whatever jargon necessary to make sure that Yubin would get a bullseye from this distance. The terrain of the range always changed and this time around they were blessed with a mountainous terrain filled with pine. She wanted something a little sunnier but she didn’t decide the stage, the building did. Whatever entity occupies the walls has always eluded her and she never bothered asking Oreb the finer details.

Yubin pulled the trigger after making the necessary adjustments.

“It’s just.....I don’t know,” Yooheon finally accepted her fate with a deep sigh, “I tried to talk to her but she’s been blowing me off. Is it a demon thing?”

More jargon, more adjustments.

More sharp echoes even with the ear protection.

“Blowing people off?” Handong raised a brow. A small part of her wanted to tease the younger woman but she knew that now wasn’t the time. She lived with them all long enough to know the key points of emotional vulnerability and the importance of expressing emotions that have no words to them yet. For that is the way of being human without losing touch of yourself. At least, according to her observations.

“Avoiding their own troubles,” Yoohyeon’s voice was crisp as she eyed Handong with the curiosity of a child asking an adult the secrets of the universe. 

“That does seem to be a pattern with them,” Gahyeon said as she stretched. It was a flippant remark, but the hint of truth in her voice was obvious to them all.

“Oh come on, you two just barely patched things back together,” Siyeon groaned as she leaned back from her position, “Take five. My spine is killing me.”

“Getting old I see,” Yubin’s snickers only got louder when Siyeon missed hitting her arm in retaliation. 

“Hey, you know we think differently than you guys,” Handong huffed in defense, “Although, Bora’s thinking is......”

Handong’s voice trailed off as she reflected on the demon’s actions. Ever since coming back from Paradigm did she truly notice how odd Bora was compared to the other demons, both rehabilitated and not. It was fascinating as it was horrifying. She never witnessed the breakdown of a rehabilitation before. Let alone a breakdown where the demon still maintained full cognitive functions. The implications were staggering and there was no one in the room that could begin to comprehend it all, well, except maybe the building. 

“Is what?” Yoohyeon pressed as she sat straight to observe Handong’s face. Looking for anything that could help her understand her teammate better. 

“A bit extreme?”

Siyeon’s voice sliced between them with ease. They looked up to meet the somber silver eyes of the wolf. Like always, the wolf moved without them noticing. Against the forest backdrop it was as if Siyeon was truly the embodiment of a creature of the woods and child of nature. 

Red eyes met silver and a sliver of understanding passed between them. Siyeon gave Handong a small nod before she continued to speak. Sometimes the common language failed them in expressing the subtle notions that could’ve been explained easily with Pandemonium. 

“Extreme?” Yubin finally joined them with a raised brow, “We’re used to that though.”

“Sure, but those are as quick as your shots,” Handong pointed her head towards the resting rifle, “Honestly, that’s just how she is, even before the rehabilitation. There's a reason why we don't talk about our time in the courts.”

“Well, yeah, but she’s been stressed lately,” Yoohyeon shrugged, “Maybe that’s why—”

“Stressed about what?” It was Handong's turn to press. It was like her talk with Gahyeon. No matter how many times she says it, the demon’s thought process will always be beyond mortal understanding. The least she can do is ease the burden of not knowing by directing them to the root of it all and letting them draw their own conclusions. If they want anything more then they will have to confront Bora themselves. 

“Paradigm’s call,” Siyeon answered as her eyes never left Handong. The wolf knew something that neither of them could ever understand. The understanding of a lover who knows their partner's pain and suffering.  

“Paradigm’s call? But that affects the unrehabilitated,” Yoohyeon attempted to reason the unreasonable with the only logic she knew of. The logic of the physical world.

“You saw how she was when we raided Kessler’s base,” Siyeon pointed out with a cool voice. The wolf was on a mission that neither of them could see. Now that the other demon was in front of her, she wasn’t going to let this chance escape her. She needed an answer from another demon instead of Bora’s sweet nothings. She understands Bora better than any of them, but it doesn't hurt to get outside assurances. Or outside damnation.

“Y-yeah, but wasn’t that because we were close to Paradigm’s border?” Yoohyeon reflected on the moments she shared with Bora during that mission. How the demon’s breath was strained. How the demon’s skin was ghostly pale and clammy. How the demon's eyes shimmered with the innate desire to consume and destroy everything around her with a smile. 

“Then why didn’t she attack you then?” Yubin glanced at the wolf and at the demon. The pair were in a staring contest where neither side was budging. There wasn’t even a small twitch of the eyelid. 

“Ah, that’s right. Why this attack out of the blue then?” Gahyeon rolled over and froze when she saw the look in Siyeon’s eye. Out of instinct she nearly growled but, out of respect, she held it in. This was the look of a hunter in front of its prey. 

"She finally reached the upper limits of her rehabilitation," Handong's voice was steady as her hands rested on Gahyeon's shoulder, "The stress is self made. She won't go back to Paradigm unless we drag her. Paradigm's call will take her away from us until she goes back. Or meet her Founder."

Siyeon let out a breath that she had been holding. She finally received an answer to the question she never wanted to ask. An answer that confirmed her worst fear about the one she loves most. 

"Wait,wait,wait, what?" Gahyeon sat up. Grabbing Handong's hand out of habit, she looked between the wolf and the demon before looking at the other two to see if they understood such damning words. 

"So, what, we tie her up and ship her off to Paradigm?" Yubin suggested in jest to ease the air around them, "Or drop her like a bomb? Or send a letter to Skellam? I haven't written in Pandemonium before though so I think my grammar will be off."

"Bora bomb...." Yoohyeon muttered to herself before shaking her head to regain focus, "So what can we do then to help her? Does Minji know?"

"Minji....." Handong's trailed off as she thought about their leader. Minji had always been an interesting human. Being able to control a unit with two animalistics and two demons and two humans is a feat not many can accomplish. Granted, when she was first put into the newly reformed Unit D, she had reservations about Minji, but those quickly vanished the moment Minji went out of her way to get to know her on a more personal level. A level she never knew existed.

"Minji had me arrange a hit on their rail today to help Bora relieve some stress," Yubin said as she sat down in front of Handong and played with a loose string on her pant leg, "So, she knows."

"Then does she have a plan for when we go on this expedition for the Board?" Siyeon's voice was still cool and neutral. As if the damning news was nothing but another challenge to overcome.  

All eyes were on Handong at this question.

"Just because I'm a demon doesn't mean I know what goes on with other demon's business," Handong pouted before sighing, "All I know is that whatever is happening with the Board right now will be enough to keep Bora at bay for a couple of weeks at least."

"So that's why Minji didn't fight Bora on coming with her today," Yoohyeon rubbed her chin in contemplation, "I hope that means that one problem won't get replaced by something else."

"What do you mean?" Gahyeon asked as her hands began to unconsciously rub Handong's cold bare arms. 

"As long as that problem is smaller than breaking rehabilitation then I think we can survive," Yubin offered a comforting pat on Yoohyeon's shoulder.

"I just wonder......" Siyeon's voice grabbed their attention. 

They held their breath as they waited for the wolf to speak.

"I wonder......what are we going to eat if Oreb is not gonna be our cook?"

"That's what you're worried about?!" Gahyeon growled with a look of disdain. They were just on a serious topic, and Siyeon said something out of left field.

"It's a valid worry!" Siyeon huffed, "If Bora is going through an existential crisis then where does that leave us?"

Silence and contemplation surrounded them in its cold tendrils.

"Me and Handong have Bora duty," Siyeon said with a knowing nod before gesturing to the other three, "The rest of you will have to figure it out."

"Well, there are a few recipes that I want to try out," Yoohyeon hummed as she sorted through the memorised recipes. She even went through the extra effort to match recipes to her teammates in order to keep things a bit exciting. Hopefully she doesn't burn the kitchen like she keeps nearly doing if it weren't for Oreb's and Bora's intervention. 

"Well, I hope you guys figure it out cuz I have a date to go to," Handong gave a long sigh before standing up slowly while stretching. Every micromovement of her body was sensual and as she glanced at the fox. She knew the mention of the date would set the fox down a dark thread of thought, but she knew what to do in order to ease such worries in her true lover. Even if that meant her teammates had to suffer for a little bit. 

"Councilman Keran is really squeezing every last moment, huh?" Yubin saw the disdain in Handong's eyes and anger in Gahyeon's. It was a miracle that Gahyeon hadn't gone rogue to eliminate the councilman yet but it's not that surprising. Handong's influence and control over Gahyeon was something to be feared but also admirable. As negative as it sounded, control and influence, Handong was always consensual even if it was Gahyeon that first made the move. It was a fascinating relationship to witness. Well, except when a certain fox was a tad jealous with rising desires. 

"They are offering me a way out," Handong practically sneered. Her face relaxed just enough to eye the disgruntled fox. A flicker of recognition flashed in her eyes, "They still hold onto this hope that what they offer me is enticing enough to break my loyalty. Although, I never thought they would fall this much for me. I don't even have to really do much in order to get what I want."

"Hmmm, in that case," Siyeon grabbed Yubin's and Yoohyeon's collars and began to drag them out of the range with her, "We'll leave you two alone to, ah, talk things out before you go. Don't mark Dongie so much like last time, ok, Gahyeon?"

"Wait, why the sudd--" Yoohyeon barely could begin her questioning when she saw Gahyeon launch herself onto the waiting demon, "By the gods, my eyeballs!"

"Please clean up afterwards," Yubin groaned as she shut her eyes and let Siyeon lead the way, "The building didn't like the mess from last time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, when are you going to stop avoiding her?" Minji asked the irked demon beside her. 

The pair were standing on the loading dock and everything around them was metallic and dull. Not even the lights from above nor the ads that flashed on the side of the buildings could brighten life here at the docks. The roar of the Ether engines were constant as their purple hue covered everything in its colour. It's where everything blended together to create nothing but a vein of pollution and sludge. The sea of bodies ebbed and flowed in an unnatural rhythm only known to those that participated and outsiders could only try to navigate before getting swallowed and lost. Spectrals floating in and out of existence as they continued along a path that had been erased eons ago. Some ignoring everything around them, operating on a basis that was dependent upon a time that no longer exists, the spectrals continued their march. Others were the lucky few to be aware of their sad state of existence as they rushed past the bodies screaming for recognition or help. But there is no way to help the spectrals as their fate had been decided the moment they committed whatever sin that doomed them to this punishment. Others still were aware but their souls were full of a goal of vengeance, their pale eyes held a fire that could scorch even the mightiest of returned gods. They floated in and out, hunting for their target, their eyes glowing white as their bodies become visible one second then nothing but wisps of smoke the next. Despite coexisting with spectrals for years it was still jarring to see so many out and about. 

"Right now?" Bora's annoyance was drowned out by the wails and groans of the giant containers of transportation and freight as well from the combined voice of the hodgepodge of conversations around them. It was a chaotic symphony of noise and madness.

"It's gonna be a while, and then we arranged something to get you to destress since you refused Yubin's proposal of use of the range," Minji smiled as she looked at her demon. 

There was something almost endearing at how Bora kept herself at bay by being uptight today. Her suit of choice was clean, crisp, and cut in such a fashion that it was hard to tell where the suit began and flesh ended. The cropped jacket hid the fitted torso shield and made it look like a regular undershirt. The metallic cuffs shined with decorative use but hid the purpose of scanning and downloading millions of bits of data to be ciphered out by the internal holo-disks in the pockets. The broken data was sent to her earpiece in the shape of a bird that enveloped her ear. The data was then transformed into sound frequencies that would be played through the piece and it signaled the possible threats from the bodies around them. It was old fashioned to use sound frequencies but it was the safest option. Everyone and their mother knew how to hack well or bad enough to cause damage and she wasn't risking their safety. Especially not today, there was so much at stake that she couldn't risk a hair being out of place.

Minji continued to stare at the demon, waiting for a response that never came, but she didn't need one. She knew her demon well enough that words would come later. Stuffing her hands in her jacket pockets, she shivered. Despite all the smog and bodies, the cold still reached her bones. As cool as Bora looked, she felt like an oversized teddy bear next to her. Sure, she also had a presentable suit, but it was just stuffed due to the slightly heated under layers. 

A loud and shrill wail hit their ears and the latest wave of movement in the sea of bodies stopped. Their rail had arrived in an aura of dying yellow. The lights on the rail were flickering and off sequence. The brakes were straining from constant use and weight of the giant rectangular pod that moved bodies throughout the Hours. 

"I hope this rail isn't too slow," Bora muttered to herself as she noticed the threat levels the other passengers possessed. Minji was right. Whatever the arrangement was, it meant that she was able to let loose and maybe she will be able to face Yoohyeon afterwards. She owes it to the younger woman. She needed to apologise and right the wrong that she inadvertently caused. Clenching her cursed hands, Bora let out rushed huff before escorting Minji inside the container of danger.

The rail ride was too slow for her, of course. Some of the humans stared ahead as the latest holo-update filled their brain with any media they wanted, only .075 seconds faster than the previous version. Each flicker of their eye was their mind absorbing new information like a sponge. But, unlike the sponge, none of it was retained. Everything was consumed and thrown away in the same second. Other humans bobbed their head to a rhythm known only to them. Bora couldn't tell if they were listening to music or if the after effects of prolonged Ether inhalation combined with any other popular drugs that was taking its toll on these ragged humans and their weak psyche. The Listics lurked on the opposite side. Huddled together like a pack and they spoke to each other in hushed Pandemonium whispers. The moment they saw the demon they shuffled away as if she was contagious. As if she would pay them any attention. They were, as The Order puts it, tamed Listics. AKA Listics that have no threat to anything. At least not anymore. Just because they are deemed tamed doesn't mean that they are good. A common misconception that has cost people their lives.

She inserted herself between the zoned out humans and Minji. Rationally, she knows that Minji can take care of herself, especially against other humans, but there was still that need to protect her leader no matter the cost. In all of her years on the mortal plane, there was one thing she learned. That humans were the worst enemy of all. So predictable that they were unpredictable. A fascinating paradox that captivated and frustrated Paradigm and the Heavens. 

"You're going to pin me against the corner at this rate. What if we get raided?" Minji leaned over to whisper into Bora's ear. Her breath light as her gloved hand gently pushed against Bora's shoulder. Despite their height differences, it was hard to push away from the tiny woman.

The sudden touch brought Bora back to the present. Her eyes never left the mortals that paid no mind but her training and experience was drilled into her. Threats can come from anywhere. Especially on a small rail that was slower than a snail. With Minji's touch, she relaxed. With Minji's voice, she breathed. With Minji's gaze, she gave a quick smile.

"You can make friends with the bot. I got us covered," Bora jerked her head towards the degraded conductor bot. Its mechanical head moved slowly from side to side as it scanned the cramped rail. The yellow bulbs for eyes flickered and shuttered as if the power source was failing. Mechanical limbs that were once the pinnacle of technology were now reduced to stubs of metal and wires as years of no maintenance and constant vandalism took its toll. 

"Pl-pl-pl -tain safe di-di-ce from wi-dow" The mechanical voice could barely be heard as the vocal box was nearly fried. Wires sparked where a throat would be and the lights on its head flickered to get attention.

"See? Even the conductor says so," Minji's voice was still low as she gently pushed Bora forward a bit. Her leather jacket caught the dust on the walls so she quickly patted herself down to clean herself up a bit. Even if it was in vain, she would feel better if she made the attempt to look clean. She didn't even dare look down to her boots. With the sludge they just went through to get to the rail and seeing the trash inside, it was a lost cause. She just hopes that nothing made it in. 

"Tch, what's that bot gonna do? Flash it's dull lights at us?" Bora's voice was almost mocking. As much as she wanted to be mean, she couldn't. Despite the lack of soul in the conductor bot Bora couldn't help but feel a little sorry for it. This bot was once the pinnacle of technological advancements, the height of human achievements, and here it was. Left behind, discarded, and left to rot as it continued its duty with a diligence that few could even touch. It was strange to feel pity for a bot. There was nothing human about it, but there was something there. As if the human that made it left behind a piece  of themselves in the parts, in the hardwiring, in the very bits that made the bot functional. 

It was like Yubin said about their guns at one point. Any weapon, or piece of machinery that is either used or made by hands, is an extension of oneself. However, Bora still couldn't decide if that was a good thing or not. 

Minji only hummed as she stepped around Bora to look out the window. 

Sludge splattered against the window. The origin of the sludge was unknown, but she knew what the components were. The waste of the upper echelon of the hours. Gases that condensed and mixed with the natural rains from above descended onto the lower levels with a weight of judgement. A reminder of passengers' status, class, and stature. 

As the rain of sludge left streaks behind, Minji saw activities that she only saw below. She saw cargo ships, private and public passenger ships, hover cars and bikes, and the caravans of ever moving merchants. Other hover objects moved about within the mass of chaos but she couldn't tell if they were military or rogue raiders looking for a quick grab. Minji couldn't help but think how different things would be if the Heavens didn't return. Would crime still be high? Would mortality be high? Would pollution and waste be overflowing the sides as it does now? Would people, no matter their origin, have such defeated souls?

Ads on the sides of the buildings were blinding just as they were eye-catching and each was fighting for attention. The only space not occupied by holographic neon ads of various businesses and services were the ancient piping that linked everything together. They were like veins that crawled throughout the Hours. They supplied the Hours with everything that an Hour could need. Food, water, labour, goods, services, etc. The pipes would branch off into different subsections of the Hours and its parishes, and branch off again and again and again. There was no ending to the pipes just as there was no beginning.   

The rail jolted. 

The power flickered before finally turning off. 

"Ah, so this is it huh?" Bora's voice was low as she readied herself. The humans began to realise their predicament the moment their connection was cut from their tech and they became frightened animals. They couldn't stay still and they kept bumping into everything in the car as their stress levels rose. The Listics tried to keep their distance but there was only so much space when the humans were milling about like herded cattle. 

"See? What did I tell you?" Minji let out an annoyed sigh as she saw the sparks begin to fly on the loading side. Looks like these raiders don't care for skill since the way they are cutting is haphazard and almost childish. There was obviously no skill in who ever held the spark saw. Comfortable in the fact that she had all the time in the world, she scanned  everyone within the rail and determined the best course of action with minimal damage to themselves and to those around them. But, the space was small and panicked, and scared humans combined with greedy raiders is a recipe for disaster for all other parties. 

"And what did I tell you?" Bora practically growled. The stress from the humans was reaching her own nerves and the lack of fight from the Listics was annoying her. Her breath deepened as her eagerness to release the pent up stress threatened to boil over.  

"Hey," Minji placed another calm hand on Bora's shoulder and leaned into her ear, "Try not to get blood on you. We have to look presentable when we meet Medici and the rest of the board."

Red eyes met brown. 

"You still have to tell me how many," Bora said as she looked at the crudely cut door that was being kicked in. The loud grunts and angry voices told her everything she needed to know about these raiders. They just wanted something quick to get their next fix. But even if she was going against lowlives she wasn't a monster. She still needed limits. After all, that's what separates her, a rehabilitated demon, from the other demons of Paradigm.

Minji took a deep breath and grinned. She knew what her demon needed and she wasn't
going to deny her that. 

"Every single one."

The demon smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The white of the waiting room was driving her mad. Ceiling, floors, and walls were white while the furniture had white tops and red legs or accents. Everything felt sterile despite all the other demons and Listics that walked about. Murmurs of mundane conversation was nothing but a chaotic orchestra to her ears that swelled with meaningless purpose. 

She leaned against a marble pillar and her foot shook in agitation. She came here to be by Minji's side, not to be pushed aside by a board that's barely been in existence for the past 10 years. She even went through the extra effort of not getting blood and guts on her outfit like Minji told her too. 

What could they be talking about behind that door? 

Bora's eyes never left the red door that held her leader and the director of the board. Rationally, she knows that Minji is more than capable of handling one demon, but, with her rehabilitation breaking, rationality went out the window. A base desire, instinct, mirroring that of a Listic, was the only thing holding her together at this point. 

The base desire to protect her leader, her team, no matter what. 

"Fascinating, for a demon you’re full of, that weird thing," An annoying yet familiar voice reached her with poisoned honey. A voice that she thought she wouldn't have to hear for another couple thousand years or so.

"Weird thing?" Bora sighed in annoyance as she glanced at the taller demon that manifested from darkness. They wore a typical Paradigm uniform. Black boots, trousers, and fitted suit jacket with their bare torso fully out on display as they didn't bother to button up. If any of the garments held other ornate details, Bora paid them no notice. The demon's hair was the opposite of hers. White, short, wavy and unkept. Fitting more into the role of mad scientist than annoying demon with nothing better to do.  

"Yes, the thing that mortals will destroy worlds for," The demon gave a mocking grin as they leaned over to meet Bora eye to eye. Red to red. Fangs bared.

"No need to be so cryptic, Mephisto. Say it as it is," Bora's disdain was evident and it brought nothing but joy to the other demon's face.

"Ew, but it leaves an icky feeling in my mouth!" The demon whined with an exaggerated pout as they feigned a faint. 

"After all that you’ve done?" Bora raised a brow.
 
Mephisto's smile fell and it was soon replaced with a sneer.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before the stillness got the better of Mephisto.

"Only because we're of the same court I will entertain you. Love! How are you so full of love? I would think the first one our founder has, well," Mephisto straightened up and walked around to stand in front of Bora, waving a hand as they thought of the appropriate word, "Well, founded! Would be the pinnacle of how a demon is and should be."

Bora didn't bother to entertain the demon in front of her. Just because they are from the same court doesn't mean she still has to follow the rules of Paradigm here. Even then, if they did follow the rules of Paradigm, Mephisto is of lower rank so what are they trying to accomplish from trying to get a rise out of her?

The answer was obvious.

Why, it was the reason why they weren't speaking in Pandemonium.

"Ah, you’re right, Mephisto, but also oh so wrong," Another familiar voice emerged from the shadows behind Mephisto. 

"Lord Skellam! Pray tell, why is this so?" Mephisto gave an exaggerated bow of formality before stepping aside with a small skip.

"I cultivated her for years. Shaping, molding, and training every single damned cell in 
her reformed body. She was my first but also my longest," Skellam said as they stepped towards Bora in fascination. A mockery of a smile was on their face.

Bora maintained her composure when all she wanted to do was rage.

"How bout rephrasing that cuz ew," Bora said in disgust. She needed to distract herself and them.

"Fascinating! Even thinking like a mortal," Mephisto's glee was back.

"It’s not that hard. Stop pretending for a second and you’ll get it," Bora wanted nothing more than to escape this reunion of her court.

"Pretending? I’m the one not pretending here. You’re just acting like a mortal to the point of being extreme. Like your love. You’ve been with them so long that you’ve forgotten what you are!" Mephisto was on the edge of hysterical laughter as they started to move closer to her. 

Closer.

Closer.

Closer.

Bora forgot how unhinged they could be sometimes once they got a taste of something.

"I never forgot what I am. I just chose to be better," Bora's voice was steel. She never moved an inch since they got here and she wasn't moving now.

"Better than a demon?! I know the gods are back but what’s better than a demon? We have power, an understanding of the world beyond mortal comprehension, we were divine when the gods left! Our courts held the fate of the mortal world for eons. Spectra, Possession, the Faeries , and our court, Obsession, we were the driving force that kept humanity going!" Mephisto was towering over Bora. Their red eyes glowed with a glee befitting a hungry monster.

"Hush my children!" Skellam's voice went shrill and demanding, "You'll have your time later."

Bora glared at Mephisto.

Mephisto glared back.

"The prodigal daughter has returned, it’s only right that we celebrate," Skellam chuckled and shuffled forward to pat Bora on the shoulder with a skeletal hand. 

"I haven’t returned. I’m waiting for my leader," Bora continued to stand defiantly as her tone remained even. She knew better than to give anything to her Founder.

"See! Fascinating. I know the Sacred Order had units with demons but very few of those units had demons that willingly followed their leader, let alone their human leaders. The fact that your unit specifically holds 2 demons from different courts and willingly follows a human is a feat to be studied," Mephisto's glee returned like the tide.

Like good demons, the ones before her forgot and ignored the previous topic.

"You never really shut up do you?" Bora's patience was waning. 

"Bora, please. The Order is practically finished. Your unit is nothing but a glorified contractor for the board now. Why not come back? We could use your help and expertise while you recover from Paradigm's call. And I'm sure the Spectra court would love to have Handong back as well."

Bora almost snapped.

"Oh, and for what? More experimentation? Or should I say illegal experimentation with corpses," Bora's voice was getting dangerously low. Her control was fading, "I mean, that is your MO."

"It’s so much more than that. An evolution is afoot. We’ve just got word that the Animalistics themselves are evolving! Children with physical animal characteristics were seen in the outer towns, beyond the glory of the Hours. If we can see how such an evolution took place then we can use that knowledge to help ourselves. No longer do we have to be bound by the Ether or even Paradigm!" Skellam's voice was normal but the excitement was deafening and damning.

"You just want me to ask, huh?" Bora huffed in annoyance. This time for the lack of space around her as the rest of the building continued on as if she wasn't being cornered by a head of a Court and its loyal dog.

"Oh come now, you’re curious. I mean, have you ever seen a lion child? We managed to track one of the original children from that initial failed experiment," Mephisto's grin was knowing and vile.

She was at her limit. Her team did everything they could to smuggle those children out of harm's way all those years ago. Housing them and their parents before shuffling them off to their new life. Was it all for nothing ? Were those happy smiles from children finally realising that they were no longer going to suffer just a brief blip of their memory before it was washed away by greed? Did that make them liars?

Did Ji Yeon and Ji-hye suffer for nothing?

"I’m sure you’re very familiar with such a child," Skellam's rows of teeth shone underneath the blinding lights.

"What do you mean?" Bora feigned ignorance but it was just to pass the time.

"I found you. You are an extension of me," Skellam's haughty tone nearly sent Bora spiraling into the past.  

"I also changed a lot since then, founder," She didn't even bother hiding her growl.

"Ah, the tamed do have teeth!" Mephisto's voice went up an octave in glee. They were a true demon through and through. They had the weirdest turn ons. 

The red doors opened and Minji and Medici walked out side by side. Standing at attention, Bora noted the rage hidden underneath the facade of control on Minji's face. As awesome as it was, it was also frightening. 

"Ah, Skellam and Mephisto, I heard you two were visiting the mortal world today," The demon, the head of the Board, Medici, graced them all with a smile, "I assure you, and the other courts, that everything is in order."

"Of course! The courts are very interested in how much progress the Welfare Board has made," Skellam gave a grandiose bow, "Besides, with this recent increase of violence against tamed Listics and demons, well, we grew curious as to how the head of the faerie court is handling it."

Skellam trailed off as they their thin lips. Hungry for something that was just in front of them. 

"Curious about the violence?" Minji's voice was booming as she was the only human among them, "Or is the Obsession court finding something else to monitor?"

Bora quickly took her spot by Minji's right and steadied her breathing. The tension was thick enough to cut through and dense enough to smother. If anyone said anything wrong in the next couple of moments then carnage will be the only answer. 

"Ah, that's right, we have a human here," Mephisto spoke as their face morphed into a cruel mockery of glee, "The leader of the last Unit of the Order. Ah, so vocal. I like it."

Bora began to see red. 

"Medici, pray tell, what goes?" Skellam's question was aimed towards the lean demon but their eyes and smile never left Minji. 

All of the demons ignored Minji's comment like it was a speck of dust.

"I'll tell you what I told Poisson and Maxwell," Medici chuckled as they waved Minji and Bora off. As if they were nothing but children in an adult's space. 

The pair didn't budge. 

"The Rehabilitation Board is prepared to make the necessary sacrifices to ensure that all invested parties survive."

Medici's simple words confirmed Minji's suspicions. The main reason why the Board is investing in them finding the gods alongside Embassy resources. It was so obvious that she could laugh. 

But she couldn't.

After all, she was just a mere human. 

"Ah, then I'll leave you to it," Skellam gave a sickly grin to all of them, "I have bodies to examine and reports to file with the embassy anyway."

With a huff, Skellam turned around and faded away into the shadows. Dark wisps of shadow were the only indication the Skellam was moving away and out of the building. 

"Wait, where are we going??" Mephisto whined as they followed their founder without question. Their shadow was less robust than Skellam's.

"My apologies, Jiu, I know they are studying the bodies you sent them but you know how it goes," Medici sighed, and for a brief moment, looked human, "Finding the missing gods has more precedence than some would be serial killer."

"Of course," Minji nodded like an obedient soldier, "I only hope that we get back in time to stop any more meaningless deaths by finding the killers."

Minji eyed the demon named Medici as possibilities ran through her mind. Everyone was using them and it was a wonder how none of them noticed it. After all, it was obvious. The council wants the demons, Listics, and even the Embassy gone while the demons want the gods gone while the Embassy wants to control all parties, or at least know what all parties are doing. Yes, it was so convoluted that it's obscene but yet it is reality.

She can only make the most of it and use it to her advantage.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ether and fine ratios are green. Weather observed and forecast go. Recorder activation complete. Hold time is 5 minutes," Yoohyeon started with an even tone as her eyes scanned the devices before her. Triple checking everything out of second nature before finally taking a second to relax. Her gloves were bulky, but still sensitive enough to make the required adjustments to the fuel output in order to match the predicted calculation.

“System checks green. Gears locked into position. Final stage connection accepted and charging,” Siyeon continued as she flicked the last of the switches. Redirecting power to the engines before configuring the timer to activate the shield with a quick flick of a switch and turn of a dial down to the most minute period of time. They were going to cut it as close as possible but she had faith in her team to get out unscathed.

“Supports holding and green, low error readings. Switching controls to manual. Magnetic accelerator field stable and at the ready. Ether chambers are green and ready for switch. Dock cleared and pressurized, ready to receive, ” Gahyeon's voice continued the sound off as she adjusted various dials to their appropriate levels. Once Siyeon calculated the timer, she adjusted the shield output levels to adjust to the fuel input levels in order to maximise the ratios and minimise strain on the system.

“Preparations are complete. Inputs and outputs on the lower end of the tolerance threshold and are optimal. Expected resistance to be minimal. Sua and Handong completed their checklist and are standing by waiting on our mark. All you Jiu," Dami looked back at Minji from the pilot seat. Her face was obscured from the helmet but her eyes found Minji's easily. Sitting in the commanding chair, Minji looked imposing and powerful as well as gracious and sublime.

“We’re ready on our end, MC. Limit is 3 minutes," Minji announced after giving Yubin a reassuring nod. Although it was more to herself than to her young pilot. 

“Standby, Team D. Completing our checklist now,” Medici's voice was lazy as if this launch was nothing but another day in the office. However, going down the checklist, their voice changed to the commanding presence that got them the position they have today.

“Guidance?”

“Go.”

“Booster.”

“Go.”

“GNC.”

“Go.”

“Props.”

“Go.”

“FDO”

“Go.”

“All readings and sectors are green. Now, remember Unit D, fulfill your mission no matter what happens here. Final countdown, start.”

The robotic voice of the counter rang in their ears and quickened their hearts.

"10."

Bora gave Handong a quick nod before revving up the hover bike.

"9."

Handong nodded back and did the same.

"8."

Yubin took deep breaths before enclosing her hands around the throttle controls.

"7."

Yoohyeon gave one last tug on her buckle.

"6."

Siyeon gripped the arms of her chair.

"5."

Gahyeon held back a whimper.

"4."

Minji stared ahead and smiled.

"3."

A loud explosion came from the entrance to the rooftop. Black smoke mingled with grey as vision became quickly obscured. There was only a one second window of confusion before gunshots ripped through the smoke and began to hit everything that was not covered in a barrage of carnage. Emerging from the smoke were soldiers of an unknown force that were raining down judgement from the living and the dead.

Yells quickly filled their ear pieces and they all looked at Minji for orders. Although, in their heart of hearts, they knew what the order was going to be. After all, Keran told Handong everything during their pillow talk.

As soon as the explosion roared, Handong and Bora adjusted their bikes to be closer to the hover tank. Neither of them flinched as bullets whipped past and bounced around them. They knew who the attackers were so it was no use trying to act like they didn't. The visors on their helmets were black so it was easy to hide the bored expression on their faces as they waited for the massacre to end. They observed the spray of blood and bone and quietly reminisced of their days as newly born demons that thrived in such carnage. The days were nothing mattered.

"JIU," Medici's commanding voice turned to panic as they spoke over the radio, "JIU WE NEED BACKUP."

"I'm sorry, but we must fulfill our mission no matter what happens here," Minji couldn't help but grin at damning the demon. 

The radio went dead and Minji could only assume that Medici went to input the abort codes. 

"Handong, come with us, we'll you out," One of the soldiers made their way to the bored demons and called out to them, "Councilman Keran is waiting for you below."

"Ah, as tempting as that sounds," Handong sat straight before pulling out her pistol to aim at the soldier's weak spot, "I'm not one to break loyalties."

Her shot was drowned out by the rest of the orchestra of shells and bullets. 

"Handong shot her , we're good to go, Jiu," Bora radioed in before sighing with disdain as she noticed the fallen body of the soldier got blood on her boots, "I just got these cleaned!"

The platform began to raise and the gears groaned and moaned in annoyance. 

"Ah, wish we could've seen Medici's face when they realised we switched the abort and launch codes," Minji mused for a brief moment before barking out one command, "BRACE."

The platform finally reached its maximum height. Their view went from the rooftop to the grey skies of the open world that wanted nothing but to devour them in its mysteries and simple enigmas. It was only for a moment, but they all felt a sense of serenity. As if what they were doing wasn’t damning to them and to all parties involved. As if they were doing the right thing. As if they were fulfilling their true purpose in this lifetime. 

“LAUNCH.”

The force of the launch made them meld into their chairs and grit their teeth out of reflex. The roar of the engines drowned out the symphony of the massacre below. What felt like forever only lasted but a minute. They reached the apex of the arch before anyone could breathe.

“Throttle up,” Minji ordered just as the nose of the tank started to tip downward towards the shield. 

Siyeon activated the timer with a flick while Gahyeon and Yoohyeon adjusted their own knobs and dials to match the timer’s output and to ensure the engines aren’t overloaded due to the switch between the regular and fine Ether and to maintain the necessary pressure in order to equalise the change. The second the shields activate is when the ers will have to be at maximum levels while maintaining a steady temperature and minimizing power consumption. A delicate balance where the beauty is only seen but for a second. 

Yubin activated the ers and focused on keeping the tank steady. With the tethered demons behind the behemoth of a hover vehicle Yubin was mindful to not stray too far from the designated flight path so as to not risk their safety. The bikes are just out of range of the engines going at full force so any little nudge had the potential to send them straight into the fires of the burning Ether. 

“Engines are reaching the upper tolerance threshold,” Yoohyeon called out as she saw the readings off her screen. Their green hue, once gentle and kind, became blinding as numbers were rushing past the screen. As if the tank itself was yelling a warning to the feeble crew inside its reinforced walls. 

“Steady, Dami,” Minji said as she flipped a couple of switches on the armrest on her right before inputting a code on the number pad on the left, “Override activated. Gahyeon, Siyeon head to the hangar and be ready to receive.”

The Animalistics only grunted in response before they vanished down towards the hangar.
It took the same amount of time it took to reach the shield as it did when they reached the apex. 

The timer went off a mere second before contact and it felt like they hit a brick wall before the superiority and power of the tank’s shield and ers began to pry open the shield of the Hours at the weakest points. Threads of the Hours’ shield began to splinter and crack as the tank penetrated the now growing opening more and more. Once the tank was halfway through, the hatch was lowered. 

Minji didn’t bother to remind her team what to do in the next coming moments. She trusted and knew them well enough that it was better to save her breath so they could all focus. So, she relaxed as much as she could against the hardened chair.

What lasted only a couple of minutes for the crew inside the tank felt like eons for the demons stuck on the bikes. The modifications by Yoohyeon and Yubin served their purpose well as they barely felt the pressure from the launch. However, they did feel the heat from the engines as they struggled to keep their course true. They knew that Yubin would keep the tank as steady as possible so there was no threat there but it was a matter if they could control their bikes against the clawing pressures that kept teetering them one way or the other. Forever taunting them and reminding them that if they were to give in then they would be sent veering in all sorts of directions. 

Struggling to not go one centimetre off course less they become demon BBQ. Their grip, even with the padded gloves, became so taunt that the handles began to bend. Seconds passed and the whole universe made them feel feeble against the natural forces that tugged them relentlessly. Repeating the plan over and over in their heads, the demons stared at the hatch, praying for it to lower. 

Hiding underneath the roar of the engine, the hatch buzzed as it opened and beckoned the demons with a gaping maw. Out of the darkness, two pairs of arms reached out towards them. Their salvation.

"HANDONG!"

"BORA!"

Steadying their bikes one last time, the demons slowly put on foot on the seat before placing the other right behind. From their crouching positions on the seat, the demons breathed in sync. Every inhale was a memory that haunted them. Every exhale was a dream for a future they wanted. Every beat of their heart was the desire to succeed and make it into the arms of their lover. 

One last breath and they launched themselves forward once the cables became rigid enough to handle the push. Clearing their mind and entering a state of serenity that could only be achieved by embracing death and nothingness as the void swallowed them whole. They became shadows and felt nothing but the rush of the wind and heat against their vapor-like forms. With the focus of a bullet, the duo swirled and twirled around each of their shadow forms in a spiral as they aimed to hit their target. 

Just past the maw, the demons materalised and crashed into their animalistic counterparts. 

Siyeon caught Bora and enveloped her with one arm as the other pressed the button to close the hatch. Her haggard breaths were deep and rough as she patted Bora down in order to help the demon gain her sense of self back again. Materalising into shadow had only been reserved for a last ditch effort.

Gahyeon gripped Handong so tightly that the suits nearly became one. She had only seen the wisps of their shadow forms so seeing the ones she cared for most just evaporated into vapours of shadows solidified implications that she never wanted to face. The implications of how easy it is for them to just vanish without a trace. 

"Dongie.....you ok?" Gahyeon whispered as she clutched the demon. Her hand patted around in search for the clip so she could stabilise Handong down as they entered their flight phase before easing into a smooth landing. 

"Never better," Handong's chuckle was dry as her red eyes pierced the helmet to meet the worried eyes of Gahyeon, "Although I think I'll go with a warm bath after this. Care to join me?"

"It's barely been two minutes inside and you two are already wanting to strip each other," Bora's voice was muffled against Siyeon's arm, "I swear, kids these days don't know restraint. Disgusting."

“We learned it from you two,” Handong’s voice was collected but there was a hint of smugness that couldn’t be missed.

“Rude!!” Bora could only raise a small fist at the offending demon as Siyeon held her back.