at least they're losers together

The Worst Flavor of Guy

That first day Kun and Ten ate lunch together was a little strange. The next day it was a lot strange, and the days following just kept getting stranger than that. 

Now, a week later, it was a thing that they ate together. They received stares from boss Jungeun and the entire finance department, respectively, but neither made a move to leave, ever. Ten wasn't sure about Kun's motives, but, well, even if it was strange, Ten was just happy to not be alone anymore. 

Mostly, they were quiet. Looking at their phones, focusing on the (very tasty and professionally made) food, maybe asking a question or two about how work had been going up until that point, but that was it. Ten wasn't quite sure what to make of this, and even though it was Kun who initiated the whole thing, it seemed like he didn't either. 

But Ten was never the type to beat around the bush. So he put his phone down during lunch and looked at Kun. 

"Okay, so you've been sitting here for a week now when you were low-key avoiding me before. What gives?"

Kun slowly set his own phone down. "Well... after everything that happened that one Saturday night, you know...I wouldn't say I'm super popular with the rest of the finance department anymore. They kinda pretend I don't exist now. And being completely ignored is not exactly a pleasant way to spend our lunch hour. So I decided to sit here instead. Anyways, I wouldn't wanna eat with those people after what happened." 

Ten chuckled a little. "God, it's all so ing high school." 

Kun rolled his eyes. "Right? I mean, those kinds of guys probably peaked in high school and are just trying to relive their glory days." 

That pulled a genuine laugh from Ten's lips. "It's stupid. But at least I got a pity person to sit with me out of it." 

Kun's expression turned serious. "I'm not here out of pity, Ten. I promise." 

Ten fell silent, stabbing his salad with his fork once again. Kun looked at his phone again, quickly typing something out before setting it back down. "Do you have weekend plans?" 

"No way." He groaned. "I'm way behind on projects." 

"Ugh, same. I think I only studied for like an hour and a half last night."

Ten barely held back a laugh. He couldn't remember the last time he'd even studied at all, let alone for more than twenty minutes.

"What about you? Going to study?" 

"I probably should. But my friends and I are going camping this weekend. Maybe when I get back." 

"Camping?!" 

Kun laughed. "Yeah. Haven't you ever gone camping?" 

"In, like, elementary school..." 

"Hm. You don't really seem like the outdoorsy type." 

"If I see a bee, I'll scream like a six-year-old girl." Both of them laughed. "What do even do camping?" 

"Well, we mostly hike, and we swim if we can get a spot by a lake or river. Occasionally we'll fish for dinner..."

"Fish for dinner?" Ten couldn't help but make a face. 

"Yeah! It's so relaxing." Kun caught the look on Ten's face and chuckled. "You know, my friends aren't into all of it either. I do a lot of the work. But I don't mind. I like doing the setup and I like having company."

"That's...so sweet." 

"But I do drag them to some stuff they don't like. I'm really excited; we're going paragliding this weekend!" 

Ten dropped his fork. "Paragliding? Do you want to die?" 

Kun laughed. "No! I've done it before. It's totally safe if you know what you're doing." 

"Huh." 

"What?" 

"You just don't seem like the paragliding type." 

"What is the paragliding type then?" 

"Hm...not you." 

"Well, I am the paragliding type. So you learn something new every day." 

Ten nodded reluctantly and took another bite of his salad. "Aren't you going to see your girlfriend?" 

"Oh yeah. We broke up." 

Ten dropped his fork again. "Wait, seriously?" 

"Yeah." Kun shrugged. "It's no big deal." 

Ten dropped his jaw. "No big deal? What happened? I knew you were cheating on her..."

"I was not! She was just annoyed that I always forget to text her back, and I realized she was right. But I decided it would be better to just break things off, than to..."

"Remember to text her back?" 

Kun grimaced. "It sounds pretty bad when you put it like that." 

It is pretty bad, is what Ten didn't say. "You didn't even come into work crying once." 

"I don't think I cried at all." 

Ten just stared at him. Breakups left him crying every night for weeks on end, calling in sick, eating a pint of ice cream for breakfast every day. He would always put on a good face though, just like Kun seemed to be doing. But Kun wasn't actually putting on a good face. It seemed to Ten that he was just...good.

"I dunno. I have a hard time with relationships. I'm just never that...into it." 

Ten hummed and stabbed at his salad again. He couldn't really explain why, but that made him sad. Judging by the way Kun stabbed his own salad, it made him sad too. 

"," Kun said, taking a look at his apple watch. "We should probably go back to work." 

"Ugh." Ten didn't want to go back. Mostly because he hated working, but kind of, sort of, in the deepest most hidden part of his soul, he enjoyed this time with Kun. Even though Kun was so ick, the worst kind of guy ever, his company was nice. Sitting here, nobody else wanting them around, being losers together, was pretty pleasant. He was funny and decent and a part of Ten that he was trying to crush and destroy still kinda sorta found him weirdly handsome. Plus, he didn't have a girlfriend anymore, and he was clearly over her-

No. Ten stopped his thoughts dead in their tracks. No way. Kun was into cryptocurrency. He was majoring in business and he worked in finance and he thought studying for an hour and a half was short and he wore real suits to his internship and he was violently, violently straight. He was not for Ten. He was not Ten's kinda guy. What they had was perfect: lunch buddies because nobody else would sit with them. That was all.

"Do you wanna walk me back to my cubicle? Have an excuse to delay?" Kun asked. 

"Please. I'll take it." They shared a smile that made Ten look shyly at the table like a stupid ing middle schooler and they got up, Ten following Kun to his office on the other side of the building. 

Sadly, though, the building wasn't that big, so they reached his cubicle in no time. 

"Well, I'll see you around." 

No way, Ten thought. He had a million pictures up in his little cubicle, and Ten was going to stare at all of them. So he could get as much gossip on this guy as possible, of course. 

"I can't believe you guys get actual cubicles. We just have a shared desk." 

"That is kinda weird," Kun mumbled, watching Ten analyze his photos. 

"Why are you in the front of a plane?" Ten asked, pointing to one of the many pictures. 

"Oh, yeah, that's when I got my pilot's license."

"Wow. You are just full of surprises today..." Ten furrowed his eyebrows. 

Kun just grinned back. "I'm full of surprises every day." 

There were so many pictures to look at, of Kun with family and friends and even a few of him as a kid with others. Ten could recognize him from anywhere. 

He briefly threw up in his mouth at the thought. 

"Childhood friends?" Ten asked, pointing to a photo of prepubescent Kun with two other boys. 

"Yup; those are the guys I'm actually going camping with this weekend. This is us last year." He pointed to a photo of himself with two other guys, right on the edge of an airplane in full gear. The other guys looked scared out of their minds, but Kun was all smiles. 

"Holy . Skydiving too?" 

"Yeah." Kun laughed. 

"People are going to think you're bragging." 

"Eh. I just want to be able to look at who and what I love when I work." 

Ten noticed a picture of Kun, probably from just a few years before, smiling from ear to ear, gripping the handlebars of a motorcycle. 

"You drive a motorcycle too?" 

"Used to. I sold it so I could save up for a plane." 

"I see. So you're an adrenaline junkie." 

Kun laughed. "I guess you could say that."

"I can say that. And I will. Because it's true. Even though you do not seem like the type." 

"I still don't know what is the type," Kun answered with a chuckle.

"Just...not you," Ten answered. He wasn't the adrenaline junkie type, and he sure wasn't going to be Ten's type either.