"Seulgi and I held each other"

💬 Joohyun Said
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 "There are a lot of times where Seulgi and I held each other and cried during difficult times...." 

 

 

 

It might be selfish.

 

At that time, Seulgi wanted nothing but to be selfish.

 

She stared by the window as she looked at the back of yet another trainee leaving.

 

Seulgi wanted nothing more but to plead for her to come back and tell her how they would debut if they could just push a little bit more.

 

You'll get it. We'll get there.

 

But how could Seulgi possibly know that when even she, herself, was uncertain of her own debut?

 

She raised her fist to pop her knuckles but a cold hand stopped her from doing so. Seulgi didn't need to look who it was for there's only one.

 

"Seulgi-ah. How many times do I have to tell you to stop that?" Joohyun said calmly. "You're really like a child sometimes"

 

"Unnie..." Seulgi trailed off, still looking at the window. "Aren't you scared?"

 

A pin-drop silence followed, Seulgi could feel the intensity of Joohyun's eyes on her even without looking at the older girl.

 

"I'm not"

 

Finally, Seulgi turned around to face the other girl and was taken aback by what she saw. For she saw Joohyun smiling at her like that; like everything's alright.

 

"We're strong, Seulgi-ah, that's why I'm not scared" Joohyun laced her fingers with Seulgi's; though, for the younger, it was still an unfamiliar feeling to have someone cling to her like that. "Today's a long day, shall we start practicing?" Joohyun smiled.

 

Seulgi thought to herself that she must have been a fool.

 

For she was never alone in this.

 

For she still has Joohyun.

 

"You're right, unnie. Let's go" Seulgi smiled back at her.

 

 

 

(But as they turn around to leave, Seulgi caught Joohyun’s eyes lingering by the window.

 

That even if Joohyun wasn't scared...

 

Even if Joohyun was strong...

 

It didn't mean she was not hurting)

 

 

 

"6,7,8" Seulgi was counting with Seungyeon and Joohyun as they finalize the last part of the dance performance they prepared for the evaluation. After their pose, they clapped their hands.

 

"Great job, everything looks okay but—" Joohyun said, "Seungyeon-ah, are you okay? Lately you've been acting rather... unusual"

 

Seungyeon was obviously caught off-guard, she ended up staring at Joohyun. Seulgi already expected this. Joohyun is like that. She usually doesn't pry, she doesn't press on, but she is a perfectionist at her craft so if you are not giving it your all, she'll start asking questions.

 

"Unnie, thank you for your concern... but this is none of your business", Seungyeon said, taking Seulgi by surprise for her friend never acted this way before.

 

Joohyun stared at her with an unreadable blank expression. "I understand. I'm sorry for crossing the line"

 

Seungyeon then took her leave. Seulgi was about to go after Seungyeon when Joohyun stopped her by the wrist. "I think..." Joohyun said timidly, "... I think we have to let her be for a while"

 

Though Seulgi was confused, she listened.

 

 

 

They were about to leave the practice room when Joohyun suddenly started fishing for something in her pocket. "My handkerchief, have you seen it?"

 

"The purple one you used at lunch earlier?" Seulgi asked.

 

"Yeah"

 

"I don't think I saw it when we practiced. Do you need a handkerchief, unnie? I have an extra in my bag"

 

"No. It's just... it's my fourth time losing a handkerchief this week"

 

 

 

Another day, another practice. Seulgi and Joohyun just finished their dance practice. Seungyeon didn't come, saying that the manager urged her to take more acting lessons; so, they sat leaning against the mirrors to catch their breath.

 

"Seulgi-ah" Joohyun started, struggling to find her words against breathless pants. "I miss home"

 

Joohyun didn't wait for Seulgi to respond as she continued, "I miss mom. My sister and I don't get along always but I miss her too"

 

"Unnie..." Seulgi faced Joohyun to see the older's delicate side profile properly. Joohyun keeps to herself so Seulgi couldn't read Joohyun at times. So when Joohyun opens up like this, she feels thankful. "I want to visit Daegu someday"

 

"Shall we visit, then? If we make it?" the older looked at her smiling oh-so-brightly.

 

Seulgi nodded happily. "Unnie, of course, we’ll make it"

 

Joohyun smiled as she said, "Together?"

 

"Together", Seulgi firmly said.

 

As Seulgi and Joohyun looked at each other, a silent promise was made.

 

For there were no words needed to be spoken.

 

"So..." Joohyun started, clearing the atmosphere, "will you be staying in my dorm for tonight?" Joohyun smiled. "Yerim said she misses you"

 

Seulgi held her phone. "Actually, my father is on his way to fetch me", she said. The phone suddenly vibrated so Seulgi checked the message. "Oh, he's already downstairs"

 

Joohyun stood up. "Then you should go. I can clean up around here", the older raised a palm to help Seulgi stand up.

 

"Unnie, I feel bad. Let me help you"

 

Joohyun furrowed her eyebrows cutely. "And make your father wait? Seulgi-ah, doesn't he get to work early? I can handle this"

 

Seulgi pouted. "How can I leave you alone like this?"

 

"You know..." Joohyun reached for the towel that was hanging along Seulgi's neck and wiped the sweat off Seulgi's forehead gently "There's nothing you can do that will change my mind"

 

"I know" Seulgi sighed but she smiled afterward, "Unnie, thank you"

 

Seulgi held her sports bag and headed for the door. "I'll see you tomorrow", she said to the older one.

 

Joohyun smiled, "Yeah. See you tomorrow!"

 

 

 

But Seulgi didn't.

 

Because the next morning when she entered SM, she was greeted with the sight of police officers interrogating a manager she knew.

 

"Thank you for working hard officers" the manager bowed.

 

"We will keep you updated", an officer said and they left.

 

"Is everything okay? What's happening?", Seulgi asked.

 

"Seulgi-ssi, you also stayed here late at night, right?"

 

"Ah, yes. Why do you ask?"

 

"It's about Bae Joohyun-ssi"

 

As the manager told her the details, her heart sank.

 

 

 

Seulgi excused herself and went to the nearest restroom. She clasped for , wanting to scream but she couldn't.

 

It was a sasaeng.

 

It was a sasaeng who was charmed with Joohyun's beauty, the manager said. Joohyun was alone in the practice room when she heard a sound from the storage. A sasaeng hiding in the dark. Whether Joohyun was harmed or not, nobody knew. The surveillance cameras only showed her escaping the room with a distressed look on her face and teary eyes. In their further investigation, they learned that the sasaeng was also stealing Joohyun's personal items such as her handkerchiefs, spoons, and accessories.

 

The sasaeng was caught by the guards.

 

But Joohyun was nowhere to be found.

 

“Don't let anyone know about this, Seulgi. No one should know about this”, the manager told her. Whether it was for Joohyun's sake or the agency's image, Seulgi didn't bother to know.

 

In her mind, she just wanted to see Joohyun.

 

For she knew that if she only took Joohyun with her,

 

— Or if she only cleaned up with her—

 

Joohyun wouldn't experience that.

 

 

 

The management told the other trainees that Joohyun was in Daegu due to a family emergency. Seulgi knew better but little Yeri seemed to be catching up too.

 

"Seulgi unnie, when is Joohyun unnie coming back?" Yerim asked while sitting on the bed with a frown on her face. Ever since Joohyun's disappearance, Seulgi took the initiative to take care of Joohyun's little roommate. It was the only thing she could do for Joohyun. "She just left without saying goodbye"

 

"In a while, Yerim-ah. For now, you have to make do with my cooking" Seulgi forced a smile. She wondered how Joohyun does it naturally, to smile warmly even if everything's falling apart.

 

And before S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter