six

you're a reason

a/n: pure unadulterated fluff for this entire chapter, no plot progression until next chapters so enjoy this your girl is really trying to wrap up this story you know??


Seulgi makes it to school early, which she regrets because the one plate of food that was barely made is hardly enough to fill her stomach. Her stomach turns in protest of hunger along with the anxiety of talking to Joohyun. 

She’s got a few centimeters on the woman, but Joohyun scares the out of her. Seungwan is right to say that Seulgi is scared of Joohyun. It’s because she’s seen Joohyun in the face of wrongdoings. 

 

There was a day when one of the seniors, Jaemin, who is from a really rich family, it must’ve been jewelry that his family made, had come to school with a small bouquet of flowers. Apparently, over the weekend, his girlfriend had caught him out drinking with other girls and came back to win over her affections. However, she had rebuked him and it made him mad. 

Jaemin had followed her into the bathroom where Seulgi had been and also apparently Joohyun when they were arguing. Seulgi didn’t know what to do, too surprised Jaemin had been so angry at his girlfriend when he was in the wrong. She hid in the stalls.

“Let go of her,” Joohyun had coldly demanded. “If she doesn’t want to see you, you shouldn’t be touching her inappropriately.” 

“This is a private conversation,” Jaemin growls. “She’s my girlfriend, I can touch her however I want.”

“It doesn’t seem like she likes it, so let her go.” 

“You can leave, this has nothing to do with you.” 

Joohyun chuckles, amused, casual, relaxed. It’s almost terrifying to hear because Seulgi doesn't know what to expect but immediately hears a thump and Jaemin groans. Seulgi looks through the sliver of the bathroom door to see Jaemin on the ground and Joohyun crouching in front of him. He’s red in the face and clutching his crotch. 

“You should treat your woman better,” Joohyun informs lowly, “because in the future, there are a lot of women that become like me when they run into boys like you.” She pats his head patronizingly and stands up to wash her hands before she leaves. 

 

Joohyun is admirable for how cool she is, but it’s terrifying. Seulgi knows that Joohyun could probably tear her apart with a few words. She’s a big softy like that. She was crazy to even pick a fight with her in the first place but how can she not? She made a promise to Seungwan's mom to look after her. After all they've been through together, no one gets to hurt Seungwan on her watch, even the older scary beautiful lady.

“Joohyun-ssi,” Seulgi nervously calls as she approaches the woman at her locker. 

Joohyun glances at Seulgi before she grabs her notebook and shuts the door loudly. The sound startles Seulgi and gives Joohyun a moment to walk away from her. 

Seulgi chases after Joohyun. She has every right to ignore Seulgi after what she said. 

“Joohyun-ssi,” Seulgi calls again as she follows her. “Can we just talk?” 

Joohyun walks up the stairs where there are less students at this early hour. She is headed towards the library so there are scanty people around. 

“What do you have to say to me, Seulgi-ssi?” Joohyun asks, stopping when there’s no one around. 

Seulgi takes a deep breath. She has to face the music now. With all her will, she bows a full 90 degrees and yells, “I’m sorry!”

“What the heck?” Joohyun mutters as she pulls the young girl to stand up straight. “What is wrong with you?” 

Seulgi is flustered at the questions and is terrified she’s made a bad situation worse. “I’m sorry for what I said,” Seulgi explains urgently. “Seungwan and I talked and I understand the situation between you two because of–” 

Joohyun claps her hand over Seulgi’s mouth with wide eyes. “Stop talking.” She looks around carefully, still making sure no one is around. Seulgi is also wide eyed and confused. “How much did Seungwan tell you?”

Seulgi breathes when Joohyun lets go of her face. “Everything,” she obviously says. 

Joohyun scowls at the young girl and puts her finger to her lips. “I wish she’d told me that,” she mutters to herself. “You won’t tell anyone else will you? The last thing we want is Chanyeol catching wind of this.” 

Seulgi nods quickly. “Of course, I would never!” She holds her hand up to swear. “Anything Seungwan tells me is entirely bound by secrecy.” She smiles brightly and confidently. “You can trust me, Joohyun-ssi.” 

Joohyun furrows her brows. “You do look like a bear.” 

“Eh?” 

“If Seungwan trusts you then I will have to,” Joohyun crosses her arms thoughtfully. 

“Of course!” Seulgi firmly agrees. She pokes at Joohyun’s bicep to get the woman’s attention. “I also wanted to say–” she clears and stands up straighter. “If you hurt Seungwan, you’ll have to go through me.”

Joohyun raises an eyebrow at Seulgi before she breaks out into a giggle. Seulgi is confused. “You’re funny, Seulgi-ssi. You’re really cute when you pretend to be tough.” 

Seulgi blushes Joohyun’s comment. “Y-yah, what’re you saying? You shouldn’t say things like that so casually. You’re dating my best friend.” 

Joohyun chuckles even more before patting Seulgi’s head. Even a couple centimeters shorter, suddenly Seulgi feels like an actual child before Joohyun. “I’ll make sure to inform Seungwan of your efforts.” 

“Hey…” Seulgi pouts. Her threats clearly bear no weight for Joohyun as the woman teases her so casually. 

“For the record, if I ever hurt Seungwan, you have every right to beat me up,” Joohyun discloses in all seriousness. 

“Oh?” Seulgi is surprised at the sincerity in Joohyun’s statement. 

“Let’s take good care of her, okay?”

Seulgi is in awe of Joohyun. The woman is so straightforward and candid. She can totally see why Seungwan likes her because Seungwan thrives off honesty and sincerity. Like a good soldier, Seulgi salutes proudly. “Okay!” 

 

Seungwan wonders what dating Joohyun is going to be like. She’s not sure how to date anyone and especially not a woman like Joohyun. How should she behave? What will they talk about? What kind of dates will they go on? 

It’s hard to broach the subject when the majority of time they get to see each other is in school. As much as Seungwan wants to make her way to Joohyun, it’s not her first instinct. Sure everyone knows that they share the same classes and Seungwan tutors Joohyun, but Seungwan and Joohyun have a healthy distance when they’re both in the zone. They’re on the same page about treating their studies with utmost importance. 

Seungwan walks into class and sees Joohyun seated by the window as usual. Joohyun’s eyes meet hers and Seungwan can’t help but smile. Joohyun tilts her head in acknowledgement. She looks cool and chic with a simple glance before going back to her textbook. The effect is still the same, Seungwan’s heart races as she takes her seat.

At the end of class, Seungwan is the last one to leave as usual, taking her time to get her items in order for the next class. When she walks out of the room, Joohyun is standing at the doorway casually picking her nails in one hand. 

Seungwan stops midstep in surprise. “Joohyun unnie…” she shyly calls. 

Joohyun pushes off the wall with a small smile on her face. “Shall we walk to class together?” she asks. 

Seungwan feels her heart flip and nods, hugging her books to her chest. “What made you wait today?” she shyly inquires. 

“We are going to the same place anyway,” Joohyun says nonchalantly. But a smirk plays at the corner of her lips as she glances at Seungwan. 

Seungwan’s cheeks warm. “We have a lot of classes together,” she points out. 

Joohyun hums. “I don’t mind waiting.” 

Seungwan smiles shyly as they walk together. They chat about the class, about the weather, about lunch, about little things they share. Seungwan doesn't mind the glances or whispers because she gets to enjoy Joohyun's company and attention. Through a sea of students, it feels like they’re the only ones.

 

Seungwan is leaving French class for study hall and Seulgi usually meets up with her because her dance class is nearby. 

Seulgi bounds towards her happily with her bright smile. “Seungwannie!” she throws an arm around the shorter girl. 

“Seulgi-yah!” Seungwan returns the happy greeting as they fall in step with each other. 

“So, I saw Joohyun-ssi walking you to class,” Seulgi teases playfully as she pokes at Seungwan’s cheek. 

Seungwan pouts and pushes her hand away to fix her glasses. “We have a lot of the same classes together,” she reminds Seulgi. She has been enjoying every moment of it though. Joohyun by her side makes her feel incredibly safe. 

Seulgi chuckles as she clutches Seungwan tightly. “I talked to her this morning,” she informs with a proud smile on her face. 

“Oh? How did it go?” 

“She scared the crap out of me of course,” Seulgi retorts, making Seungwan laugh. “She’s no joke!” She exclaims indignantly even though there a smile on her face anyway. “And she called me cute? What’s up with that? I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.” 

Seungwan’s ears perk up. “She called you cute?”

Seulgi nods. “Yeah, she said I was really cute–” Seungwan shrugs Seulgi’s arm off her shoulder. “Yah, yah, don’t be like that.” Seulgi tugs her back under her arm. “Let me finish. She said I was really cute for pretending to be tough.”

Seungwan isn’t sure that makes her feel any better. Joohyun is candid with her opinions concerning Seungwan; to hear her be just as candid with Seulgi makes her feel a bit jealous. Then again, it makes Joohyun seem cool and chic, it’s what’s attractive about her. 

Seungwan [13:15]: Why did you call Seulgi cute? 

Joohyun is in class when she hears her phone vibrate in her bag. It’s against policy to have phones in class, but Joohyun leaves it on in case something happens with Yerim. The phone she used to have for work is tucked at the bottom of her drawer, unused for months. 

English is the only class that Joohyun doesn’t need to stress over because of how often she’s used it. Being around rich business men and international women has really sharpened her speaking skills. Whoever said things in school weren’t useful in the real world hadn’t worked before.

When they break into writing groups, Joohyun takes a second to peek at her phone to see Seungwan’s text. It makes her smile because she can surmise Seungwan’s jealousy easily.

Instead of reassuring her, she decides to a bit. 

Joohyun [13:20]: Because she is

“Irene, can you help me with this sentence structure?” Krystal asks as she pushes her notebook over.

Joohyun puts her phone away. “Of course,” she answers, looking at the section Krystal needs help with.

Unsurprisingly, Seungwan ignores her when she meets her outside of her biology elective so they can walk to the organic chemistry lab together. She has a feeling it’s because of her response earlier. She hasn’t had time to check the response when she had to rush from another building to meet her in the science one. 

“How was study hall?” Joohyun asks as they walk together. It’s cute how Seungwan is mad but she will let Joohyun walk with her anyway. 

Seungwan makes a small hmph sound and continues to hug her books. She makes a beeline towards class. 

It’s so cute to Joohyun how the younger girl reacts. Joohyun knows Seungwan to be straightforward and blunt, sometimes rational like the genius she is, with moments of irresistible cuteness. At this moment, the younger girl is especially cute. 

Joohyun quickly tugs at Seungwan’s elbow and guides her into the bathroom just before they reach their class. There are two girls giggling as they chat when Joohyun pulls Seungwan in, she glares at them, sending fear through them. They rush out hand in hand before Joohyun even says anything. 

Joohyun turns to Seungwan who looks like she’s following the girls out and pulls her back. 

“Where are you going?” 

“To class.” 

“You didn’t answer my previous question.”

“It was good.” 

Seungwan tries to leave again and Joohyun presses her hand against the door. The angle she has pushes Seungwan against the sink counter. 

“Do you want to tell me what you’re thinking?” 

“Not particularly.” 

“Hmm. Does it have to do with what you texted me earlier?” 

Seungwan’s eyes quiver, but she just pouts and shifts her glasses. “You ignored me, so I thought we were done with the conversation.” 

“Just a moment,” Joohyun says as she reaches in her backpack’s side pocket to pull out her phone. She shows Seungwan that the message is unread before opening it.

Seungwan [13:22]: Calling my best friend cute makes me jealous. 

Seungwan [13:23]: I don’t like it. Tell me if I’m being crazy.

Joohyun smiles at the text. “Is that so?” She flashes Seungwan the message for the young girl to see. Seungwan blushes in embarrassment. “I wouldn’t say you’re being crazy. But you are a pabo.” 

Seungwan looks up at her with puppy dog eyes at the nickname with a cute pout to top it off. It makes Joohyun’s heart go wild.

“You’re so cute,” Joohyun whispers as she pushes Seungwan’s bangs from her forehead, earning a small gasp. 

“You said that to Seulgi too.” Seungwan argues with a nervous voice. The tender touch sends electricity down her spine and it feels suddenly warm with their proximity. 

“But I want to kiss you,” Joohyun confesses as she leans in to peck Seungwan’s forehead. Seungwan squeaks in surprise. She touches her forehead when Joohyun leans back and she’s completely red. Joohyun chuckles and runs her finger down Seungwan’s cheek until she tips her chin up for their eyes to meet. “I was teasing you earlier. The things I say to you hold very different meaning than when I say it to anyone else. It means more.”

Seungwan's eyes are wide in awe and her cheeks turn redder. She unconsciously bites her lips, bringing Joohyun's attention to them. “You’re so mean,” Seungwan mutters and drops her chin so Joohyun no longer holds her. She sidesteps out of Joohyun’s orbit. “We need to go to class.” 

Joohyun laughs to herself and turns to follow Seungwan’s path when she’s suddenly met with a pair of lips at the corner of her lips. The softness against her skin causes her heart to suddenly jump into overdrive.  

Seungwan yelps as she pulls back. She turns bright red as she covers her lips with her hand in shock. “I didn’t mean to–” 

Joohyun catches Seungwan by her waist and pulls her in. Seungwan gasps underneath her hand and tenses as Joohyun pulls her in. “Seungwannie,” she exhales, gazing at the younger girl’s bright brown eyes behind her glasses, “you’re so mean.” 

“I’m sorry…” Seungwan mumbles as she shrugs out of Joohyun’s grasp. She’s still bright red as she pulls away. She tugs the books more tightly against her chest. “I’ll see you in class!” 

And rushes out of the bathroom, leaving  a stunned Joohyun on her own. 

“She might be the death of me.”
 

By the end of the day, it seems like they’re back to normal. Seungwan is still a flustered mess while Joohyun is quietly charismatic, but the air between them is far from tense. It’s comfortable and sweet. Seungwan genuinely likes being around Joohyun. 

There’s a bounce in her step as she makes it to the library. 

Joohyun is already there, pulling notebooks out of her backpack. She hears Seungwan’s footsteps and looks up to smile at her.

“I was thinking,” Joohyun begins as she stands up to meet Seungwan. “I won’t need tutoring sessions anymore. You’ve caught me up on all my material.” 

Seungwan’s heart falls at the realization that they wouldn’t need to spend that much time together anymore. “We can still study together,” she quickly bargains. “I find that you keep up quite well with me. You ask questions that stimulate my critical thinking skills.” 

Joohyun looks at her amused. “Very pragmatic.” 

Seungwan eagerly nods in agreement. “I like our arrangement.” 

Joohyun hums. “So you want me on Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Friday?” 

Seungwan quickly nods. Then realizes with the sly smile on Joohyun’s face what Seungwan agrees to. “I mean to study!” 

“Just to study?” Joohyun asks, her right eyebrow twitching ever so slightly. Seungwan nods shyly. “Hmm that’s a shame. I was hoping to change my work schedule. That way, maybe we have time for dates.” 

Seungwan’s eyes widen. “Wait!” The excitement bubbles in Seungwan’s chest. “Dates?” she asks hopefully. 

Joohyun chuckles and nods. “Yes, dates.” 

“Change your schedule! Quickly, quickly!” Seungwan demands turning Joohyun around towards the desk to work on her schedule. Joohyun laughs and returns a diligent OK that makes Seungwan excited. 

 

On that Friday, they meet at their study room and Seungwan is antsy if Joohyun is able to make changes to her work schedule. The woman had told her it might take some time to readjust her schedule, but she’s hopeful things would work out in their favor. 

Joohyun peers across the table to look at what Seungwan is working on. “Are you at a good place to stop?” She asks after an hour in. 

Seungwan looks up with a tilt of her head. “I’m just working on next week’s prelabs. You know I finish my homework when it’s given.” 

“Of course,” Joohyun says affectionately. It’s nice that Seungwan has less reservations being her nerdy self around her. “Shall we go get a snack?” 

Seungwan’s eyes twinkle with excitement. “Let’s go,” she chirps happily. 

 

“I don’t think we’ve ever spent time together outside of the study room,” Seungwan points out as they walk off school grounds. 

Joohyun smiles and nods. “We never really had a reason to.”

“But now we do,” Seungwan chirps. 

“We do.” 

Joohyun takes them down a small street where there are a few stalls of food vendors. It’s a place that Seungwan doesn’t get to venture often because she gets driven to and from school often. The snacks that she gets are prepared by the chefs at home. Joohyun is taking her to a snack shop that serves dishes that are worth almost nothing. 

“Here we are,” Joohyun presents with a smile on her face. 

Seungwan looks at the well lit shop in awe. “I’ve never been here before or any place like this,” she says as she looks through the windows. There are other students in different uniforms there, some of them crowded around small tables with portable gas grills on top. “It’s so…” She sees the students laughing and joking with one another, some of them huddled closely whispering secrets, and a couple on dates too. “It’s homey,” she says looking at Joohyun. 

There was an apprehensive look on Joohyun’s face as Seungwan thought of how best to describe it, but it washes away when Seungwan giggles with excitement. “Shall we go in?” 

Joohyun nods and leads Seungwan into the shop. A few people look at them and some of the really young students start to whisper. 

“Why are they looking at us?” Seungwan whispers to Joohyun when they sit down.

Joohyun chuckles and takes off her jacket and school blazer. She rolls it up and puts it in the chair beside her. “It’s because they know you’re from SM High; it’s the most expensive school in this area. They’re probably wondering what you’re doing in a cheap snack shop.” 

“Oh,” Seungwan is conscious now. She quickly pulls off her blazer and rolls it up to put it in the seat next to her as well. “Is it bad that I’m here?” 

Joohyun shakes her head. “Don’t pay too much attention to it. They’re not used to chaebols being here unless they’re drunk to be honest.” 

Seungwan is in shock. “What do you mean?” 

“You probably haven't heard the stories but there are a few bars around the area. Some of the SM students go there after school and drink. When they’re done they come looking for snacks and start picking on kids because they have no self control.” Joohyun shakes her head. She pours them water that’s sitting at the table. “They’re a bunch of nuisances really. But nothing to worry about.” 

Seungwan glances around the shop and still sees a few lingering eyes. Most of them have gone back to eating and chatting away but the ones that linger are skeptical. “I feel bad coming here if they don’t like us. Well me.”

“I didn’t tell you because I want you to feel bad,” Joohyun clarifies. “I told you because that’s why they’re looking at us funny. Listen no one wants to start a fight here, they just want to enjoy their snack and then go study or work or go home. We are here to enjoy ourselves too.” She smiles at Seungwan and points at the menu. “Pick whatever you want, it’s on me today.” 

Seungwan looks at Joohyun with wide eyes. “Really?” 

“Uh huh,” Joohyun leans in with a coy smile as she cradles her chin on the back of her clasped hands. “After all, this is a date.” 

Seungwan blushes furiously and hides behind the paper menu. “Stop it, unnie,” she whines weakly, not used to Joohyun flirting with her quite yet. 

Joohyun laughs and lets Seungwan look at the menu. The younger girl is serious as she stares at the menu, taking in every item one at a time. She bites her bottom lip thoughtfully as she tries to decide what to get. Joohyun has never seen someone look at a snack menu so thoroughly. 

“Are you having a hard time deciding?” 

Seungwan blushes and nods. “I don’t get to come to snack shops often. The snacks I get are when Seulgi stops at the convenience stores or what the chefs pack.” 

“Do you want me to order for us to start?” Joohyun suggests. 

“Please? I feel bad making you wait.” 

“Don’t feel bad, keep looking. If you think of anything, we can just add it. If you want to try anything feel free to order it.” 

Seungwan feels at ease by Joohyun’s accommodation. As much as she feels bad about being indecisive, the fact that Joohyun is patient puts her at ease. 

The owner ahjumma comes by and takes their order, she recognizes Joohyun and gives her a warm pat on the back and asks about her well being before taking her order. Joohyun knows exactly what to order: cheese tteokbokki with two eggs, fish cake, beef, and ramyun and a side of fried veggies with two cokes. The ahjumma gives Seungwan a once over and looks at Joohyun with an approving thumbs up as she walks away. It makes Seungwan blush because she sees the shy smile on Joohyun’s face, so that means the ahjumma is quite significant to Joohyun. 

“The ahjumma knows you,” Seungwan points out shyly. 

Joohyun takes a sip of her water. “I used to come here all the time when I was first enrolled at SM High; it was one of the few places I could afford on scholarship. I would have a lot of my meals here because I wouldn’t be able to go home right away when I was studying. Ahjumma took pity on me when she found out I was a scholarship student.” 

“Oh. You studied very hard back when you were first here.” 

Joohyun smiles. “Of course. I was on scholarship; I needed to maintain a score to keep it.” There’s a nostalgic look on her face as she speaks. “I was lucky to even get a scholarship. Those are few and far between now it seems.” 

Seungwan nods in agreement. “It’s unfortunate. With how big the school is and how many families donate money, there should be more scholarships available.” She notes. “When I enrolled last year, I noticed they seemed to put more money into the facilities and showcases more than anything.” She shakes her head in disappointment. “Even our labs aren’t state of the art like they should be.” 

Joohyun raises an eyebrow. “You only enrolled last year?” she asks curiously. “So you haven’t been here that long.” 

Seungwan nods. “My father sent me abroad after I rejected the Park family’s proposal.”

“Oh that explains why you didn’t hesitate to approach me,” Joohyun muses. “I thought you were just a pabo, but you really didn’t know who I was.” 

“Yah…” Seungwan whines. “Stop calling me pabo.” Joohyun makes baby noises at her and pats her head playfully. “Stop it!” She giggles as she bats Joohyun’s hand away. “Regardless, I tried not to judge you based on things I heard. I believe that people have a reason for the things that they do and we can’t judge them for it.” 

Joohyun stares at Seungwan in awe. There’s a happy smile on her face as she stares at the young girl. “Wow, you really are pabo,” she jokes again. 

Seungwan whines. 

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” Joohyun recants with a laugh. “You are something else, Son Seungwan. The way you treat people and the way you view them in the context of the world, you’re quite mature and understanding.” 

Seungwan scratches her cheek shyly. “Is that bad?” 

Joohyun shakes her head. “It makes you better than most people. Trust me, I’ve met a lot of people in my life, rich, poor, working, struggling, homeless, all walks of life with different stories, with very few who are as broad minded as you are. It’s a good quality to have in a world like this.” 

“And what kind of world is that, unnie? If you don’t mind me asking.” Seungwan has always been curious about Joohyun. Now being able to talk to Joohyun about things unrelated to school, Seungwan takes the opportunity to get to know her more. 

Joohyun puts her elbows on the table and rests her chin on her hands. She thinks for a moment, a low hum as she mulls it over. “An unfair one?” she proposes lightly. Her eyes search Seungwan’s carefully. 

Seungwan is unbothered. “I agree. The world we live in is unfair.” She sighs wistfully. “It’s unfortunate, like you said.” She takes a sip of her water. “I’m glad there are people like you around to stand up to certain injustices.” 

“Why do you say that?” 

“It’s inspired me so far,” Seungwan easily answers. “I feel empowered seeing you; you’re like a light at the end of the tunnel to me. I used to think I was so different from my peers. That I didn’t particularly belong anywhere I went.”

“How so?” 

“I just didn’t fit in really. My interest lies in my studies because it’s my passion. I love learning and being able to grasp new subjects. I don’t think I’d ever get tired of it. I find comfort in things bound by logic and facts; things tend to make a lot of sense in this mystical world of sciences. I used to be jealous of people who had a lot of friends or relationships, but then I realized that there were a lot of troubles that came out of those things. It was more stressful to maintain friendships based on mere proximity or status or environment.” 

Joohyun hums. “The relationships that matter are the ones that tend to extend beyond those limits.” 

Seungwan agrees. “I believe that wholeheartedly. Seulgi and I are cousins, sure, but we have little to no things in common sometimes. Regardless, she’s very dear to me and I can’t imagine my life without her.” 

“A relationship like yours will last,” Joohyun says wisely. “Seulgi strikes me as someone very loyal and reliable.”

“I don’t doubt it for a second,” Seungwan immediately agrees. It makes her happy to know that Joohyun is on the same wavelength as her. “Hearing you say that brings me a lot of comfort. It’s why I say that you’re the light at the end of the tunnel. There are a lot of things to look forward to when I graduate. One day I’ll be able to find my people, find my place, make something of myself.” 

Joohyun stares at Seungwan and feels her heart swell. She didn’t know how much she could feel so enamoured by the younger girl. Joohyun thought she knew more than enough about the world, but she feels relieved to know that Seungwan exists. There’s good in the world in people like her.

“What are you going to do when you graduate, Joohyun unnie?” 

The question isn’t all that hard, but it catches Joohyun off guard. It’s been a few years since she’s thought of it. Back then, she used to have different goals, she was on a different path. Then her life was thrown completely off kilter between her sister and her mother. She hadn’t thought of it recently. Her mother’s wish was for her to finish school, but thereafter? She’d devoted the last three years to taking care of her family. What more to life was there? 

“Unnie?” Seungwan’s gentle voice pulls her out of her thoughts. There's a slight concern as she looks at Joohyun. 

Joohyun catches it and brushes it off with a smile. Luckily, she doesn’t need to respond when the ahjumma comes back with all the food. They spend the rest of their date talking about the food, which Seungwan likes the best to least and share their favorite dishes and snacks.

 

When they’re done eating, they both decide that dessert is in order. They stop by an ice cream stand and Seungwan almost has a conniption when Joohyun considers getting mint chocolate. 

“No! You cannot get that,” Seungwan whines as she tugs at Joohyun’s sleeve.

“Why not? It’s good!” Joohyun laughs as Seungwan clings to her. 

“It’s toothpaste, unnie! You’re eating toothpaste!” 

“Well, it’s better than the rainbow concoction you’re eating,” Joohyun deadpans. 

Seungwan huffs. “This actually tastes like dessert. Mint chocolate does not taste like dessert.” 

“Is this a dealbreaker?” Joohyun teases in amusement. She hasn’t seen Seungwan so adamant about something outside of academia. She rather likes it. Seungwan threatens her with a thoughtful hum, but Joohyun knows how to tease the younger girl even more. She leans in to whisper in her ear. “If I eat it, at least you know how refreshing my kiss would be.” 

Seungwan burns up and pushes Joohyun away with a yell. “Get whatever you want! I don’t care!” 

Joohyun laughs and settles on vanilla instead. 

They walk down the street together back to the school where Seulgi is finishing up volleyball practice. Seungwan is still pouty over Joohyun teasing her and Joohyun occasionally glances at Seungwan to throw her a cheeky smile. It’s not until they get halfway back that Joohyun casually slips her hand into Seungwan’s. 

A small gasp escapes her lips. 

Seungwan looks down at their now grasped hands. 

“Are you still mad?” Joohyun asks as she swings their hands. 

Seungwan blushes. “I wasn’t mad,” she answers. Joohyun looks at Seungwan sceptically until she relents. “Fine, I was a little bit, but only because you were teasing me.” She her ice cream self consciously. 

“About the kiss?” 

Seungwan nods sheepishly. 

“But you almost kissed me yesterday.” 

Seungwan stops in her tracks and frowns. “It was an accident!” 

Joohyun chuckles. “I don’t know, it seemed deliberate, Seungwan. You want to kiss me don’t you?” she continues to tease. 

Seungwan pouts and swings their hands more out of frustration. 

“Aigoo, aigoo,” Joohyun coos as she pulls her hand close to her, tugging Seungwan along. “I’m just teasing, Seungwannie. Just teasing.” 

They walk another block until Seungwan speaks up, “I do want to kiss you, Joohyun unnie.” Joohyun looks at the younger girl. “I’m just not ready.” She looks upset as she speaks and it makes Joohyun frown. “When you tease me, it makes me want it more and more, but it also makes me incredibly nervous. I don’t know what I’m doing and I feel both excited and intimidated.” 

Joohyun stops them from walking and stands in front of Seungwan. “Remember what I said,” she reassures with sincerity in her eyes, “whenever you are ready. It doesn’t have to be today or tomorrow. Whenever you think you are ready, tell me. If you change your mind that’s also okay. I do like you, Seungwan, for who you are, not if I get to kiss you or not.” 

Seungwan mumbles something and Joohyun doesn’t quite get it. She asks for Seungwan to repeat herself. When the young girl goes red and rushes out, “I like the physical affection you give me!” 

Joohyun chuckles. “Really?” 

“Don’t tease me, unnie.” 

“I can’t help it when you’re so cute.” 

“Unnieeeeeee.” 

“Seungwannieee.” 

Seungwan huffs and buries her face in Joohyun’s shoulder again. She lets go of Joohyun’s hand to wrap her arm around her waist. Joohyun smiles, enjoying Seungwan’s body pressed against hers, and returns the hug. 

“I like this,” Joohyun whispers. “Your hugs are very comforting.” 

“Really?” Seungwan mumbles against Joohyun’s jacket. She can feel the older woman nod near her head. She can’t help but hold Joohyun even more tightly, hoping that she can provide even more comfort.

“Did you have fun today?” 

“Of course,” Seungwan answers as she molds herself against Joohyun. “Being with you is fun. Listening to you talk is interesting. I like this with you.” 

“Me too.” 

“Can I choose the next date?”

“I’d like that.”

 

Seungwan is thrown in a tizzy at the fact that she has to plan the next date herself. She doesn’t know what to do, where they should go, what Joohyun would like to do–don’t even get her started on the logistics of things. Seungwan does research on top dates things to do, while they all seem fantastic, there’s apprehension in executing because she doesn’t know if Joohyun will like it. 

Out of sheer desperation, she calls Seulgi for help. 

“What do I do?” Seungwan whines. “I’ve never planned a date before! I don’t know what Joohyun unnie would like. She’s been on dates before, she’s been to places I’m sure, what if she finds what I pick boring?” 

Seulgi is eating, by the way is full as she tries to speak. After what sounds like choking, which is of no help to Seungwan, she finally asks, “Why don’t you just ask Joohyun-ssi what she wants to do?” 

“Because I asked if I could choose the next date!” Seungwan argues. 

“Well, you did that to yourself,” Seulgi criticises with a laugh. 

“That’s not helpful!” 

Seulgi laughs for another minute and Seungwan threatens to drop the call when she stops, “Fine, fine. I’ll be more helpful.” She hums thoughtfully, cutlery clinking in the background. “Since you said you wanted to choose, why don’t you take her to a place you like?” 

 

Seungwan debates why she ever listens to Seulgi in the first place. She is waiting outside of the Science Museum, pacing back and forth. It’s her favorite place, but would it be something that Joohyun even likes? What if she thinks it’s too childish? Or too dorky? Or too nerdy? Seungwan reasons that Joohyun should see this coming, but it doesn’t stop Seungwan from being more and more self conscious as they get closer to meeting up. 

It’s too late to turn back because Joohyun arrives. 

Joohyun looks so different out of her uniform, dressed casually in jeans and a plain white t-shirt with a tan cardigan and a thick cargo jacket. She has a small purse slung across her body. 

Seungwan looks in awe because Joohyun’s hair also looks different. Has it always been so wavy? Does it usually shine like this? 

Joohyun waves to her and Seungwan dumbly waves back, enamoured by how beautiful she looks. Just then something catches Joohyun’s attention and she looks to her side. She quickly picks up a rattle that gets thrown from a stroller and hands it to the mom, who thanks her as another toy gets thrown from the stroller. Joohyun quickly gets the other one too. 

Seungwan feels her heart pound inside of her upon seeing Joohyun’s side profile. She doesn’t think she’ll make it through this date. 

Joohyun jogs over once she’s done talking to the parents and saying hi to the babies. She stops in front of Seungwan with a smile on her face. “Hi.” 

Seungwan smiles automatically at the sound of Joohyun’s voice. “Hi.” There's a flutter in her heart.

“Did you wait long?” 

Seungwan shakes her head. 

“Shall we go in?” Joohyun holds out her hand for Seungwan. 

With a shy blush, Seungwan takes Joohyun’s hand and they walk into the museum. 

“I can’t remember the last time I was here,” Joohyun thinks to herself as they enters the entrance hall. “It must’ve been middle school. A lot must’ve changed.” 

“They have a new advanced technology exhibit and expanded their biological studies to include an interactive human biology portion and space lab exhibit right now,” Seungwan informs brightly like a tour guide. Joohyun listens quietly and starts leading them towards the ticket line when Seungwan tugs her. “I actually have tickets already.” 

“I could’ve paid,” Joohyun says with a small frown. 

Seungwan shakes her head. “I have a membership! It’s easier for me to pay,” she insists, tugging Joohyun's hand encouragingly.

Joohyun looks apprehensive but a small smile plays at the corner of her lips. “You really like this place, don’t you?” 

Seungwan blushes and nods. “It’s one of my favorite places.” She bites the inside of her cheek. “If this is too boring, we can do something else.” 

Joohyun raises an eyebrow at her. “What makes you think that I don’t like it here too?” Seungwan brightens and Joohyun squeezes her hand in return. “Come on, you dork.” 

Seungwan whines but bounces along with Joohyun hand in hand. 

The self consciousness and anxiety that Seungwan feels at the beginning of the date dissipates as they walk through the museum together. Joohyun’s eyes are wide and childlike, it’s unlike anything that Seungwan has ever seen before. Joohyun takes in everything in the exhibits with interest and curiosity and fascination. 

Seungwan can’t believe how much prettier Joohyun looks when she stares at a display that changes from the third into the fourth into the fifth dimension. She listens with interest and holds Seungwan back to listen to it a second time to try and understand the concepts. Seungwan lets her and smiles as big as her heart feels inside of her chest. 

“Do you like physics, Joohyun unnie?” Seungwan asks when they stop at a display that explains electrical fields. 

Joohyun shakes her head as she reads the placard. “It’s one of my weaker subjects. I like being able to see what’s in front of me to understand it better. Things like gravity, electrical fields, magnetism, they all do exist, but sometimes you don’t see it and it bothers me. Like how? How do people know? How is it tangible and real?” 

Seungwan smiles at the slight frustration in Joohyun’s voice. It’s actually quite adorable. “Well, it’s relative, isn't it? We know based on interactions between things that these concepts truly exist. Apple falling on Newton’s head and Faraday’s experiments of electromagnetism. Even if we can’t see them, they are very much real, much like love.”

“Oh!” Joohyun cringes loudly as she bumps shoulders with a blushing Seungwan. 

“I just–I didn’t mean to say it like that!” Seungwan defends as her neck gets hot. 

“You did,” Joohyun scrunches up her nose. “I can’t believe you made science sound romantic.” She brushes her thumb on the back of Seungwan’s hand. “It’s cute though.” Her eyes linger on Seungwan’s before they slip down to her lips. 

Conscious of this, Seungwan ducks her head ever so slightly and tugs Joohyun’s hand. “Come on, there’s more to see.” 

For someone who can take down jerks in school without batting an eyelash, being viewed as one of the bravest people that Seungwan knows, Joohyun is actually a scaredy cat. They go through the natural history portion and Joohyun jumps every time she steps too close too a display of dinosaurs that’s too big. At first Seungwan thinks Joohyun thinks she’s going to break something, but when they get to a free sabretooth model, Seungwan scares her and she screams so loud Seungwan’s eardrum rings and they catch the attention of several security guards. Seungwan pulls away a sheepishly apologetic Joohyun. Not only does she not like big animals, she’s horrified of bugs. 

“Come on! It’s not scary when they’re all in their displays!” Seungwan encourages. She tries to tug Joohyun along, but the woman stops dead in her tracks and she’s like an immovable boulder. 

No!” Joohyun tugs Seungwan’s hand back. “Absolutely not!”

“But they’re so cute!”

“How are they cute?!”

“I used to raise silkworms! They were just tiny little beans and they’d spin fibres,” Seungwan explains enthusiastically. She giggles at the memory of having a bunch of them. Funny enough, Seunghee also hated them. “They have little faces and they curl up like they’re hiding and it looks adorable.” 

Joohyun is absolutely mortified by what Seungwan says and shakes her head furiously. “There is no way I’m stepping foot on that side, Seungwan.” 

“Please, unnie!” Seungwan begs, tugging adamantly at Joohyun’s hand. “I can’t not go! We can’t not! We should go to all of them!” Joohyun refuses. Seungwan pouts and pulls out the big guns. She looks up at the older woman with the biggest puppy dog eyes she can muster. “Please, Joohyun unnie, I really want to go with you, please, please, please?” 

Joohyun’s jaw drops at the sudden display of aegyo. Seungwan is working hard and she feels a bit embarrassed but she has her own motivations for wanting to go if Joohyun is as scared as she seems. Joohyun rolls her eyes and she scoffs with annoyance, but the way her cheeks turn red and her chest rises and falls quickly, Seungwan knows that her aegyo attack has worked. 

“Fine,” Joohyun grumbles. Seungwan cheers happily. “But you’re protecting me if any of those damn bugs come at me.” 

“Of course! Let’s go!” Seungwan says as she pulls a reluctant Joohyun along. And her plan of having Joohyun cling to her the entire time works out. Joohyun wraps her arms around Seungwan’s body from behind, burying her face in her neck so she doesn’t see the grotesque insects. She keeps her hands on Joohyun’s arms around her waist, guiding her along. 

They get to a butterfly display when Joohyun finally has the courage to look up. 

“Isn’t it pretty?” Seungwan says as she comfortably sighs back into Joohyun’s arms. 

Joohyun makes a small sound, but she supports Seungwan’s weight as she stands up straight. Joohyun is looking around with a small smile on her face as she spots a butterfly landing on a flower nearby. Seungwan loves seeing the side profile of Joohyun’s face, wondering how soft her skin is and how strong her jawline is if she touches it. 

As Seungwan stares, a small smirk on Joohyun’s lips form. “Don’t think I didn’t catch on to what you were trying to do by bringing us here.” 

“What do you mean?” 

Joohyun buries her face back in Seungwan’s neck and this time it’s different. Her lips brush against a sensitive spot on Seungwan’s neck before her hot breath trails up her neck. Seungwan grips Joohyun’s forearms tightly as her heart suddenly jumps up at the contact. 

“You’re lucky I’m playing nice with you,” Joohyun huskily whispers in her ear. Seungwan shudders at the hot breath in her ear as Joohyun speaks. “Or I’d make you regret this.”

“What’re you talking about, unnie?” 

Seungwan feels something wet under her earlobe immediately followed by a nip. For a brief moment, Seungwan could feel the electricity shoot through her body but a strange pool of heat settles in her stomach. She yelps as she pulls herself out of Joohyun’s grasp and she holds her ear safely. “W-we should go to the next place!” she stutters out. Her whole body goes hot as she rushes out of the insect center. 

Joohyun chuckles at how flustered she makes the younger girl before she realizes she’s lost her shield. “Yah! Son Seungwan, don’t you dare leave me here!” she shrieks as she books it after her. 

They literally go through all the exhibits of the museums but nothing catches Joohyun’s attention quite like the astronomical exhibit. Seungwan doesn’t think that Joohyun’s looked prettier, or maybe she just gets prettier in each setting that Seungwan gets to see her in. But Joohyun is a dream, an ethereal being, a goddess among man, in a backdrop of dark skies lit up by stars and comets. The way she stares up at the dome with her lips slightly parted, eyes twinkling just as brightly as the stars. 

There’s a big tug in Seungwan’s heart that craves Joohyun even though she stands before her. 

“You’re staring again,” Joohyun says, meeting Seungwan’s gaze. 

“It’s because you’re lovely,” Seungwan sighs wistfully. 

Joohyun’s go pink but Seungwan doesn’t see it in the dimness of the exhibit. She does see the smirk forming at Joohyun’s lips as she takes a step towards her. She puts her hands carefully on Seungwan’s waist and pulls her in for a hug. 

Seungwan smiles. The thumping sensation in her chest only makes her feel warm and in Joohyun’s arms she feels at home. Joohyun kisses her temple gently and they hug as the sky changes seasons.

Eventually Joohyun shifts first. “I have to go soon,” she whispers sadly. 

“Do you have to?” Seungwan feels sad to part. 

“I have to get ready for work.” 

Seungwan peels her head back and looks up at Joohyun. “You have work on a Saturday?” 

Joohyun nods. She looks just as upset as Seungwan feels, but she smiles anyway. “I had a lot of fun, Seungwannie.” 

“I did too,” Seungwan doesn’t like the bittersweet sensation. “Do you really have to go? I didn’t even take you out for dinner.” 

Joohyun pats her head and caresses her cheek. “It’s okay. We can have dinner another time?” she offers hopefully. 

It doesn’t look like there’s room to argue so Seungwan nods. She thought Joohyun would have changed her schedule but it seems like she hadn’t. What kind of work does she have to do on a Saturday night? She doesn’t end up asking, too worried if Joohyun hadn’t already offered the information, she’d overstep. It’s also hard when Joohyun leaves her with a lingering hug that leaves a warm smell of lavender on her. 

 

The next two weeks worry Seungwan because Joohyun limits their time to after school only for an hour or so and taking her to the convenience store or snack shop once a week. They still text everyday and some nights they get to talk at night when Joohyun has a break. But Seungwan can’t help but think that something is wrong. 

They’re walking back to school from the park after Joohyun buys her a corn dog, when she finally says, “Do you have time on Friday?”

“Mm?” Seungwan asks with full. 

Joohyun chuckles as she grabs a napkin and wipes the corner of Seungwan’s mouth. “If you have time Friday evening, I’d like to take you out to dinner as I promised.” 

Seungwan’s eyes go wide. “Really? Okay!” The worry that something is wrong dissipates just a bit.

 

Seungwan goes through four outfits and has to call Seulgi for help. 

On the little video chat, her bear friend looks exhausted and red faced from volleyball practice. 

“Are you okay, Seul?” Seungwan asks with concern. 

Seulgi nods and takes a long swig from her water bottle. “Next week is the game against Namoo, so I had to do a lot more drills,” Seulgi explains as finishes off her water bottle. “I hate it. That stupid giant junior keeps spiking on me.” There’s a loud crinkle from her squeezing the life out of it.

Seungwan chuckles. Her best friend is all soft and friendly up until sports gets involved, then her competitiveness comes out. “Are you going to show her that you can block?” 

“Of course!” Seulgi declares with fire in her eyes. “She looks down on me, you know? She laughs every time!” 

“Well you said she is a giant,” Seungwan points out cheekily. 

Seulgi narrows her eyes. “Don’t you dare take her side.” She lowly threatens. “You’re coming to the game right?” 

Seungwan just laughs and nods. “I won’t miss it.” 

“Good, now show me your outfits.” 

 

Friday comes and much to her surprise, Joohyun offers to pick her up. Seungwan waits with anticipation for Joohyun to come. 

They had texted and Seungwan insisted that she wouldn’t need to come up. Not like anyone besides maids and butlers being home so early. Her mother is still in Japan, her father is in his board meeting, and her sister is no doubt out with her team. Seungwan finishes her homework and gets ready quickly and waits for Joohyun to arrive. 

Joohyun is on time and calls her when she arrives. 

Seungwan rushes outside with excitement and stops in her tracks when she sees Joohyun standing outside of her gates with a motorcycle. Her eyes go wide and her heart pounds at the sight. Joohyun matches the black cruiser bike with red detail in her dark jeans and black leather jacket that hugs every inch of her body. 

“You ride a motorcycle?” Seungwan asks in awe as she approaches. She eyes the motorcycle and Joohyun in utter surprise. Everything about this is breathtaking at the moment. 

Joohyun looks at the bike with a small smile on her face. “I got it for a good price a couple years ago and it’s how I get to work when the weather is good.” She shrugs and looks up at the evening sky. “There’s not supposed to be any rain today, I thought this would be nice.” 

“I’ve never been on one before,” Seungwan admits shyly. She even looks down at the cute blue dress she has underneath her tan cardigan. “Would this be okay?” 

Joohyun nods. “I won’t drive fast with you on it,” she promises. She grabs a matte blue cruiser helmet and motions for Seungwan to let her put it on. 

Seungwan undoes the little bun on top of her head and hears Joohyun quietly apologize, but she doesn’t care about her hair when Joohyun runs her hand through her hair to smooth it out nicely. Unconsciously, Seungwan reaches for Joohyun’s waist, her hands finding the leather pockets to hold herself as an anchor. Joohyun moves in closer at the action and places the helmet gently on Seungwan’s head. She clasps the chin strap, tilting Seungwan’s face up. 

“So cute,” Joohyun gently expresses, her thumb brushes underneath Seungwan’s lower lip. 

Seungwan grips Joohyun’s jacket tightly and bites her bottom lip in response. 

Joohyun pulls away, much to her dismay, and puts her own helmet on. Funny enough, the helmet Joohyun wears is actually white with red detail. It’s not cool, but it seems super practical. She swings her leg over the bike, the movement smooth and catlike, and tells Seungwan to do the same. 

Seungwan clumsily gets on with a little hop, her weight pushes the bike down a bit. “Sorry,” she says with embarrassment as she settles into the seat behind Joohyun. 

Joohyun just chuckles and reaches back for Seungwan’s hands and pulls it around her waist. “Hold me tightly,” she says, glancing back at the younger girl before settling in the seat and turning on the engine. As she leans forward, Seungwan naturally does the same, pressing her front against Joohyun’s back. 

Seungwan feels her heart start to race being pressed against the woman. She only hopes that Joohyun doesn’t feel her heart pounding inside of her chest against her back. 

As promised, Joohyun drives nice and easy. It’s a smooth ride through the streets with each light, street, and all the shops passing by. Seungwan hangs onto Joohyun tightly, admiring their surroundings as people slowly fill the streets. 

“This is nice,” Seungwan wistfully admits at a stop light. She doesn’t know if Joohyun can hear her over the engine, but when Joohyun rubs the back of her hand, Seungwan snuggles against her back even more. The light turns green and Joohyun continues their journey. 

They make it to an old neighborhood that looks a bit run down, but by the way that people walk in and out of places, it’s busy. It’s full of youths and working adults, who seem to be enjoying themselves. Joohyun helps take off her helmet and fixes her hair before strapping it to the back of the motorcycle. 

“Have you been here before?” Joohyun asks as she slips her hand into Seungwan’s. 

Seungwan closes her hand in Joohyun’s before pressing their sides together. “Nope. I don’t go out often. Never really had a reason to unless it was for family or school.”

Joohyun hums. “I haven’t been here before but I looked it up. I saw a place I thought you’d might like.”  

The place that Joohyun takes her is down the block where there are more people walking than any motor vehicles can fit through. There’s a cozy wooden awning that is stark against the concrete building. As they enter, the aroma of teas and coffees fill the air and soft music plays in the background. 

Seungwan is in awe as she stares at the shop front, lined with shelves and displays of LPs and CDs. “I really like it, Joohyun unnie,” she says happily as she tugs the woman along with her. 

Joohyun smiles and follows after the younger girl. Seungwan can’t help but go through each and every shelf to see what the inventory is. They discuss the genres that they like, and what they don’t like. It’s funny how Joohyun ranges between trot and hip hop and rap because Seungwan doesn’t mind any genre but loves ballads and dance music and oldies. They spend time teasing each other for their taste. Seungwan doesn’t quite understand how Joohyun, who looks pretty and elegant, can get so into rap and discuss the rhythm mechanics. 

“The rhythm of the song can be highlighted by the emphasis of the diction by the artist. This not only creates a flow but draws attention to the words expressed in the story told by the artists—oof!” 

Seungwan pulls Joohyun by the collar as she suddenly begins to speed up her words. “Joohyun unnie, stop,” she trembles as she says it. Not only has her heart started pounded by Joohyun speaking so eloquently on music, but the fact that Seungwan has pulled her into kissing distance. “You make me want to kiss you.” 

Joohyun’s eyes go wide, but she doesn’t move. She smirks and tilts her head. “Because you find what I’m saying attractive?” she cockily asks. 

“Yes,” Seungwan breathily admits. She gasps when she feels Joohyun’s hand wrap around her waist suddenly. She falls forward and narrowly misses Joohyun’s face, chin falling on the woman’s shoulder instead. “Unnie?” 

“Do you want a kiss?” 

Seungwan gulps at the question. She warms at the thought of kissing Joohyun in the middle of the record cafe surrounded by other people. The nerves strike and Seungwan feels less hungry for Joohyun’s lips instantly. She hides her lips on Joohyun's shoulder and shakes her head. 

“Should I stop talking about music theory?” Joohyun suggests. Her hand rubs Seungwan’s back comfortingly, but for some reason Seungwan only gets hotter. 

“No,” Seungwan mumbles. She would rather continue the conversation, getting to know Joohyun more and more. “How did you learn so much about music?” 

“I used to play piano,” Joohyun answers. “I spent a lot of time learning, but when I stopped playing I couldn’t stop listening to music. I ventured into a lot of genres before finding rap to be one of my favorites.” 

Seungwan pulls away with a smile on her face. “I’m glad you used to play. It makes it easier to talk about music with you because it won’t go over your head.” 

Joohyun has a teasing smile. “When have you ever said anything that went over my head?” 

“Hmm, I suppose you make a good point,” Seungwan teases back. “It must be your age and experience.” 

Joohyun furrows her brow for a second before her jaw drops. “Yah!” Seungwan giggles as she escapes Joohyun’s arms. “You think it’s funny to make jabs at my age?” Seungwan weaves through the aisles as Joohyun tries to catch her. 

With a few garnered looks and teasing whispers, Seungwan and Joohyun stop teasing each other and continue going through the store. Seungwan ends up finding a few albums on LP that she hasn’t gotten yet and goes to pay for them when she feels Joohyun at her elbow. 

“I can pay,” Joohyun offers with a gentle tug of her elbow. 

Seungwan shakes her head quickly at the offer. “No, it’s okay, unnie! I’ve got it,” Seungwan insists as she gets her card. “It’s nothing I can’t afford.” 

Joohyun’s jaw tightens ever so slightly and Seungwan’s eyes widen. 

“Oh my–I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it like that,” Seungwan immediately pleads. “I’m such a pabo. I just–you shouldn’t spend money on me. This is something I want so I can get it, I’m not saying–I don’t mean to offend you.” 

Joohyun doesn’t say anything right away, only looking up to say, “You’re next, Seungwan.” 

Seungwan feels tense as she moves up in line. Joohyun doesn’t leave her side, but she is quiet. It’s strange how she can be present, but Seungwan feels Joohyun lost in her thoughts elsewhere. 

They leave the shop and Joohyun’s passive look disappears. 

“So what do you want to eat?” Joohyun sounds cheerful, but Seungwan isn’t stupid to miss the way Joohyun doesn’t look her right in the eyes. 

“Joohyun unnie,” Seungwan calls as she reaches for the woman’s hands. The bag of her records swings in their hands. “You’re not mad at me are you?” 

“Why would I be mad at you?” Joohyun asks casually as if she wasn't bothered mere moments ago. 

“I don’t know,” Seungwan uncertainly answers. “You just tensed when I mentioned the money thing…I know you’ve mentioned working alot and the scholarship.” Seungwan wants to put it delicately. “...Money is an issue.” 

Joohyun doesn’t say anything, but she doesn’t look mad. She doesn’t look happy either. Joohyun looks bothered and Seungwan knows it’s because of what she says. “It is,” Joohyun admits quietly. “It’s a touchy subject for me and I don’t discuss it often with people.” 

Seungwan frowns because she does want to know, but Joohyun tells her the truth. “You don’t have to tell me then,” she offers, squeezing her hands for reassurance. “I just want you to know that you don’t have to feel obligated to pay for everything for me. We aren’t in the 20th century, you’re not a man following gender rules. Just because we’re dating doesn’t mean you have to take care of everything. I like being able to contribute; I want to pay for my dates with you too.” 

“It’s a habit,” Joohyun says as she leans in. “I like taking care of things. I like being able to take care of you.” 

“I want a relationship to be balanced, Joohyun unnie,” Seungwan thinks aloud. “Let me take care of you too.” She squeezes Joohyun's hands and meets Joohyun's eyes to express her sincerity. 

Joohyun smiles with starry eyes as she stares at Seungwan. “You make me want to kiss you.” 

Seungwan blushes and pushes at Joohyun’s hands. “Stoopppp,” she whines. 

Joohyun chuckles, her voice lighter than before. She lets go of one of Seungwan’s hands, but keeps the other, using it to pull her close. “Come on, let’s go get dinner.” 

Joohyun ends up taking her for barbeque. As much as Seungwan wants to protest, she does like when Joohyun takes care of her. The woman cooks the meat well, unafraid of fire or the oil splatters, and knows exactly when Seungwan can eat it. She can multitask better than Seungwan could because she’s no means a chef at all; it’s clear Joohyun has experience cooking. 

Seungwan finds out that Joohyun does indeed cook meals at home and always makes sure she cooks for her younger sister and her sister’s friend. She learned a lot from her mother apparently and finding stuff on the internet was helpful. She rarely eats out, so she ends up apologizing to Seungwan for not knowing where else to take her to dinner. 

Seungwan leans into Joohyun’s side and slips her arm around her waist. “At home, I often eat alone because my family often works. I find that any food tastes better when I’m not alone, but recently, everything I eat with you tastes amazing because you’re with me.” 

Ugh,” Joohyun shudders with a giggle. “So cringey.” 

Seungwan just laughs and steals a piece of meat from under the tongs Joohyun handles. “Here, unnie, eat,” she proffers near Joohyun’s lips. 

Joohyun smiles before she takes the bite and continues turning the meat. Her free hand slips around Seungwan's waist and she furtively kisses her temple. "Thank you." Seungwan only hums and grabs another piece of meat for Joohyun. This is something that she could get used to, Seungwan's affection and care.