eleven

you're a reason

Meeting Yerim and Sooyoung isn’t so bad. Seungwan genuinely enjoys meeting Yerim. The younger Bae is a happy kid with a lot of jokes. She seems to get along with everyone. Even when Seungwan notices the tension between Seulgi and Sooyoung, Yerim lightens it up by poking fun at either one of them. No one is safe from Yerim. 

Joohyun sits at the head of the table originally made for four with Seungwan on one side and Yerim elects to sit on the other side of Seungwan as an excuse to talk to her more. While Seulgi and Sooyoung sit across from them.

Seulgi laughs at an impression of Agumon when her chopstick accidentally tips over her water. Luckily it isn’t a lot but Seulgi quickly apologises as some of it goes onto Sooyoung’s bowl.  

“Since when are you so clumsy?” Sooyoung notes as she helps grab a napkin to clean up. 

“Sorry,” Seulgi mutters as she holds the chopsticks in to help clean up only for it to fall out of and clatter on the floor. 

Seungwan and Yerim chuckle at Seulgi’s clumsiness and the mood is nearly ruined when Sooyoung huffs. 

“Why’re you like this?” Sooyoung can’t help but complain. 

Seulgi bows her head and quickly pushes her chair back to get the chopsticks. Of course as she gets up, she hits her head against the table with a loud thunk followed by clattering of some bowls. 

Joohyun actually moves to help Seulgi, but Sooyoung is already there. 

“You really can’t stop can you?” Sooyoung asks as she pats Seulgi’s head to make sure it isn’t bad. 

Seulgi tenses briefly at Sooyoung’s hand on the back of her head and awkwardly pushes off Sooyoung’s hand. “I’m alright. It happens all the time.” 

Sooyoung feels how Seulgi tenses as she pushes her hand away. She notices how Seungwan stares at the two of them questioning. 

“Sooyoung unnie is just as bad,” Yerim jokes as she eats her tteokbokki. “I told her she should do Comedy Big Leagues for the slapstick.” 

Sooyoung rolls her eyes and pulls out the drawer at the end of the table for another set of chopsticks. When she turns back, Joohyun hands Seulgi a set at the same time. Seulgi looks between them, surprised. She stares at Sooyoung dubiously before reaching for the set from Joohyun. 

Sooyoung awkwardly takes back her chopsticks. 

“Yah, unnie be careful with your chivalry,” Yerim warns playfully. “Seulgi unnie might fall for you too.” 

Seulgi blushes brightly. “Oh god! No! It’s not like that.” 

Seungwan furrows her brows at Seulgi’s protests. She looks at Joohyun pointedly. 

“Yerim-ah, stop saying nonsense things. My girlfriend gets jealous.” Joohyun looks at Seungwan with a gentle smile on her face. 

Just like that Seungwan blushes. She reaches over and bashfully smacks Joohyun’s forearm. “I do not.” 

Seulgi chuckles at this. “Yes you do.” 

Joohyun smiles even bigger because of Seulgi’s comment and pats Seungwan’s hand comfortingly. She leans in to whisper to Seungwan’s ear. “I don’t mind it.” 

“Oh, ew, you two,” Sooyoung can’t help but cringe. “Too sweet. My teeth hurt.” 

 

After they finish eating as they leave, Yerim hooks on Seungwan’s arm, surprising her. 

Joohyun smiles affectionately at Seungwan and tells her in a hushed tone. “Sooyoung needs your help. I’ll talk to Seulgi.” 

Seungwan can only tilt her head in confusion, but she trusts Joohyun as she shoots her a reassuring look.

“Seulgi-ssi, can I get your opinion on something?” Joohyun asks with ease as she leads Seulgi in the opposite direction. 

Seulgi can’t help but stare after Seungwan, seeing Yerim pull her along to Sooyoung. 

“Don’t worry, Yerim is there with her,” Joohyun reassures Seulgi with a pat on her shoulder. “It’ll be just a moment.” 

Seulgi doesn’t feel at ease, but she trusts Joohyun’s words. Joohyun would never let any harm come to Seungwan if she can help it. “What did you want to talk about sunbae?” 

“I’ll put it frankly,” Joohyun prefaces with a sympathetic look on her face. “Sooyoung told me about the situation between you two: your engagement.” 

Seulgi’s eyes widen in panic. “Does Seungwan know?” 

Joohyun shakes her head. “I didn’t tell her. It’s not my secret to tell.” 

“What about Park Sooyoung?” 

Joohyun glances over her shoulder to the trio and shrugs. “I don’t know if she will tell her. To my understanding, there’s a lot of politics involved and these sort of arrangements are private.”

Seulgi feels relieved but her eyes fall to the ground because it doesn't change her situation in any way if Seungwan were to know or not know. “The last thing I want is for Seungwan to find out.”

Joohyun puts her hand on Seulgi’s shoulder to get her attention. “Why is that? Why can’t you tell Seungwan and her family?”

Seulgi shrugs Joohyun’s hand off of her shoulder. “Why do you ask?” She feels the hairs on the back of her neck rise as her walls start to come up. 

“Because Seungwan cares about you. I’m sure if you told her she could do something about it.” 

Seulgi shakes her head. “She can’t help. In truth, her family won’t help.” 

Joohyun raises an eyebrow. That sounds unlike the Sons that she met the day before. “That doesn’t make sense.” 

“I’ve asked my mother this before but she is adamant they won’t. Whatever my father did is a consequence of his actions and Uncle Jongkook is adamant about his stance.” Seulgi breathes in deeply and stands up straight. Her eyes harden as she puts on a brave face. “Don’t worry about me. The only way to get out of this contract hopefully is to pay back the Parks. I’ll work hard to make sure I pay back everything my family owes them.” 

Joohyun shakes her head. “I’m sorry, Seulgi-ssi, I really mean it.” 

Seulgi smiles sadly at Joohyun. “There’s nothing for you to apologise for. It’s not your fault.” 

“I’m sorry that you have to go through this alone,” Joohyun clarifies honestly. Seulgi looks at Joohyun in surprise. “I know Sooyoung must have been awful to you these last couple of years. I can tell by the way you are around her; you’re scared of her and you've been hurt by her. It might not mean much but other than Seungwan, I am here for you too. If Sooyoung ever steps out of line again, tell me and I’ll take care of it.”

Seulgi feels her heart shake inside of her at the unexpected conviction in Joohyun's voice. “Why-why would you do that? You’re friends.”

Joohyun stares at Seulgi apologetically and the younger girl doesn't understand because Joohyun doesn't have anything to apologise for. “I’m ashamed that someone close to me treats you like this because you don’t deserve it. You’re in this situation just as much as Sooyoung is, whatever future you wanted is no longer your own. I can’t pretend to understand it, but I’ve learned what it’s like to lose something precious to you.” 

Seulgi can't help but feel moved and tears begin forming in her eyes. “How does someone like you exist? You don't even know me.” 

Joohyun wryly chuckles. “I don’t know. I just exist. Even if I don't know you, I know the type of person that you are. You're more than whatever fate you've resigned yourself to; things can be better than you expect with the right people around you.” 

She can't stop the hope from blossoming in her heart at Joohyun's words. The tears start to fall uncontrollably. “Thank you, sunbae, for being kind to me and understanding me,” Seulgi cries softly. “I didn’t think I needed to hear these things.” 

Joohyun pats Seulgi on the head. “Seulgi-yah, it’s going to be okay.” 

“Will it?” Seulgi seeks the reassurance more than she expects as she quickly wipes her teary eyes.

“Of course it will be.” Joohyun confidently reassures her. “Seungwan and I won’t ever let anything happen to you. Do you understand me?” 

Seulgi nods as she wipes her tears. She clings onto the little bit of hope that her future isn’t as bleak as she’s been expecting it. 

 

“Don’t be worried about Sooyoung unnie,” Yerim whispers encouragingly. “She only pretends that she’s tough. Otherwise, she’s a big cry baby.” 

Seungwan is interested because she can’t imagine the young girl being anything but angry from her first impression. Even when they were eating, Sooyoung’s tone wasn’t the kindest to Seulgi. Seungwan has full confidence that Sooyoung won’t try to hurt her but her guard is up for Seulgi. 

Sooyoung politely smiles at Seungwan as they approach. She peers over the two girls to Seulgi and Joohyun talking far away and feels relieved that they’re out of earshot. She awkwardly moves so that Seungwan and Yerim almost create a wall. 

“Son Seungwan-ssi, I need your help,” Sooyoung nervously says. Her eyes keep shooting over to Seulgi and Joohyun. 

“Why? With what?” Seungwan is confused. She’d never talked to Park Sooyoung before and barely knows the girl, how could she possibly help? 

“I’d like to apologise to Kang Seulgi but I don’t know how to.”

Seungwan stares at the taller girl carefully. Sooyoung nervously bites her lips and her eyes are downcast as she speaks. For an athlete, her shoulders visibly drop and her confident aura is dulled. There’s a heaviness that obviously weighs her down and Seungwan can sense the sincerity. 

However, Seungwan can’t be easily swayed. Seeing Seulgi cry, holding her while she cries, was almost too much for Seungwan. Seungwan has barely ever made Seulgi cry and Sooyoung had done it on purpose. She knows from experience that she should be wary of such sudden changes in people. 

“I don’t know if I can–” Seungwan pauses to choose her words better. She has to think of Seulgi and how she can protect her. “I’m sorry, Sooyoung-ssi, but I can’t help you.” 

Sooyoung picks up her head in utter shock. “What do you mean you can’t?” 

Seungwan feels a tug in her heart because she doesn’t want to see the worst in people but Sooyoung’s reaction is telling of what was expected of her. “Seulgi has been by my side since we were born. She is one of the kindest people I know and you hurt her. I can’t help you because it’d mean excusing what you’ve done.”

Sooyoung’s jaw drops. “Excusing what I’ve done? You don’t have to excuse my actions. I just need your help to make amends.” 

Seungwan screws up her eyebrows thoughtfully. “It doesn’t feel right to me. I won’t let you use me if there’s a chance you can hurt Seulgi again.”

“I’m not going to hurt her again,” Sooyoung argues strongly, “I’m trying to make things right.” 

Seungwan tenses at the way Sooyoung stares at her. Her gaze is fiery and demanding. Yerim tugs Seungwan back just a little bit, catching her attention. 

“Sooyoung unnie, calm down,” Yerim tries to soothe. 

“I’m trying to be sincere but she’s implying that I’m not,” Sooyoung exclaims in her defence. She inhales sharply and throws her head back petulantly to listen to Yerim's advice to calm down. 

“I’m sorry that she’s a bit hot headed,” Yerim says, patting Seungwan’s arm. Sooyoung glares at Yerim, but the younger girl ignores it. “Please just hear her out some more.” 

Seungwan knows that Yerim is reasonable and calm. She has a good feeling about the young girl despite her playful devilish ways. When things are serious, Yerim steps up and it shows. She looks at Sooyoung expectantly. 

Sooyoung pauses at the staring. “What?” she hastily snaps. 

Seungwan defers to Yerim, who facepalms. 

Why is it important for you to apologise to Seulgi unnie?” Yerim helps guide Sooyoung. 

Sooyoung's lips thin at the question. It's a hard question that Sooyoung doesn't want to answer. She has too much pride to say it out loud in front of either of them. Joohyun is different because she's an older sister to Sooyoung, someone she can be honest and vulnerable around. Seungwan may be dating her unnie, but she's not the same. Seungwan doesn't know who she is and Sooyoung doesn't trust her enough because it's clear that Seungwan is on Seulgi's side only.

So Sooyoung doesn’t answer.

Sooyoung’s shoulders sag even further. “You know what? Forget it,” she huffs as she holds her head higher. “I’ll take care of it myself.” 

Yerim frowns with disappointment. “Sooyoung unnie...” 

Seungwan didn’t have too many expectations of the younger girl, but she expected more than this. She can’t help but feel disappointed.

Sooyoung ignores the disappointed look of both girls, feeling guilt eating away at her. She refuses to be vulnerable in front of either one of them. She knows that she’s done wrong and she doesn’t deserve Seungwan’s help, but she can’t let them know how much it hurts. She clenches her jaw and looks to Seulgi, who wipes her face quickly in front of Joohyun. Her heart only tightens even more at the sight. 

Please,” Seungwan says softly, “whatever you’re thinking, just don’t hurt Seulgi.” 

Sooyoung whips to Seungwan with a furious look. “Listen, you don’t know me,” she snaps, pointing her finger. Seungwan flinches. “You don’t know what Seulgi and I are, so you can’t tell me what to do with her.”

Seungwan wrings her hands at how Sooyoung’s presence suddenly grows. “She’s my family, Sooyoung-ssi, I won’t let you do anything to her.” 

“Why do you people think I’m going to do something bad?” Sooyoung exclaims in exasperation. “Do I seem that horrible to you?” Seungwan’s eyes quiver as Sooyoung demands her attention. “You don’t even know what I’m capable of!” 

“Sooyoung unnie!” Yerim quickly intervenes as she tugs Seungwan back. “Don’t yell at her. She didn’t do anything.” 

“I’m not yelling! If I was yelling then it would be like this!” Sooyoung feels her heart racing with fury as she yells at the two. “Do I scare you?” Sooyoung demands between the two of them. She sees the scared look on Seungwan’s face and she hates herself for it. “Am I a ing monster to you too?” 

Suddenly, Sooyoung feels a weight pressed against her chest and arms wrap around her back. The anger that fills her heart is replaced with confusion. 

Please, Sooyoung-ssi, stop." 

The gentle plea of Seulgi's soft voice pulls Sooyoung out of her guilt ridden fury. Sooyoung freezes at the realization the weight on her chest is from Seulgi’s hugging her tightly. 

“I’ll do whatever you want, just please calm down,” Seulgi says softly against her shoulder. 

Sooyoung feels her heart shake inside of her. It’s the last thing she wants to hear from Seulgi. She doesn’t want Seulgi to do anything she wants. She doesn’t want to hear the desperate pleas in Seulgi’s voice. She doesn’t want Seulgi to hold her like this. Because even though she’s angry and furious, she expects to fight back, not be held so intimately. Sooyoung starts to feel confused by the onslaught of emotions. 

Sooyoung can’t resist the warmth from Seulgi against her chest. As guilty as she feels, she feels comforted and soothed by the hold. She wraps her arms around Seulgi’s body, hearing the older girl gasp. She shuts her eyes because the guilt creeps into her mind. This isn’t comforting, I’m only scaring her. She thinks of her mother and how important this marriage is for her family, but how wrong it all feels and to be so angry and take it out on Seulgi for so long. She just wants to apologise, to make things right, to not see Seulgi cry. But Sooyoung doesn’t know what else to do. All she knows is that Kang Seulgi belongs to her, which makes Sooyoung responsible for her.

“Come with me then.” 

Seulgi doesn’t say anything for a moment, so Sooyoung wraps Seulgi up even more closely. 

“Just come with me, Kang Seulgi,” Sooyoung desperately whispers. She buries her face in Seulgi's neck and murmurs. "Please."

Seulgi tenses at the hot breath at her neck and tight hug she's wrapped up in. It feels unbelievably intimate but she can hear the pleas in Sooyoung's voice. She sounds unlike the Sooyoung she's been terrorised by and she feels her heart twist with worry. Slowly Seulgi nods into Sooyoung’s shoulder. “Okay," she mumbles, "I'll go with you.” 

Seulgi pulls away from Sooyoung first and she feels unexpected resistance from the younger girl. 

Joohyun is right behind her, eyes ready as she stares at the pair of them carefully. There is no doubt she heard their exchange. 

Seulgi is about to speak when she feels Sooyoung’s hand around her wrist. What surprises her even more is Sooyoung grabbing her hand. She looks at the taller girl in shock. 

“Kang Seulgi is my fiancee,” Sooyoung suddenly says to Seungwan. 

Seungwan’s jaw drops and her eyebrows cinch together in confusion. “What?” 

“Sooyoung–” Seulgi is interrupted. 

“What we have to discuss is a private matter,” Sooyoung curtly says, her hand unconsciously clenches Seulgi’s harder. “So we’ll be going first.” 

Joohyun puts her hand on Sooyoung’s upper arm to stop her from moving. “What do you think you’re doing?” she asks carefully, eyes searching intensely. 

Sooyoung bows her head to meet Joohyun ever so slightly. “Just let me do this,” she says quietly. “I won’t hurt her, I promise.” She doesn’t wait for Joohyun’s response. In the corner of her eyes, she sees Seungwan’s worried look and Yerim’s frown. Unable to meet their gaze, she turns away and drags Seulgi along with her.  

 

Seungwan is nervous as they sit on the bench to wait for Victoria to come pick them up. She doesn’t realize she’s wringing her fingers until she feels Joohyun slip her hand between hers and laces their fingers. 

“Don’t be nervous,” Joohyun reassures with a soft sigh.

“How can I not be?” Seungwan guiltily asks. “I just let Seulgi go with Sooyoung.” She shakes her head to herself. “Seulgi warned me about meeting her. She said that I don’t know her like she does and I didn’t know what it could mean until Sooyoung started yelling. What if she hurts Seulgi?” 

Joohyun grabs both of her hands and looks her in the eyes. “I promise that Sooyoung won’t hurt her.” 

“How can you be so sure?” 

“Sooyoung unnie may be a loose cannon, but she couldn’t hurt a fly,” Yerim says on the other side of Seungwan. She’s eating a small bowl of takoyaki to keep her energy up. “She really meant what she said about apologizing to Seulgi unnie. She just clearly has issues she needs to work on.”

“Yerim,” Joohyun chides silently. 

“What? It’s true.” 

Joohyun purses her lips and holds onto Seungwan’s hands tightly. “Seungwan-ah, I promise Sooyoung doesn’t want to hurt Seulgi. She’s trying to be better; it’s just coming out wrong and she’s working on it.” 

“See? Issues.” 

“Yerim…” 

Yerim shrugs nonchalantly, completely unbothered by the whole ordeal. “There's no need to sugarcoat it, unnie. Seungwan unnie should know the truth because it’s clear she cares a lot about Seulgi unnie. And it’s not like either of those boneheads will say anything honest.” 

Seungwan looks between Yerim and Joohyun. The latter is exasperated and annoyed but she doesn’t deny the youngest.

“Unnie…tell me?” Seungwan presses.

Joohyun sees the heavy hearted look on Seungwan’s face and feels bad. They say ignorance is bliss and Joohyun wishes she could shield Seungwan from unpleasant things of the world. That way she doesn’t have to look so burdened in the way she does now. She wants Seungwan to be bright and happy always. 

Joohyun sighs and leans in to kiss Seungwan’s forehead. The younger woman pouts at the gesture, but accepts the affection anyway. 

Joohyun tells her everything that she knows. Yerim helps fill in some blanks, mostly from Sooyoung’s perspective. By the end of it, Seungwan is upset, at Seulgi’s family, at her family, at Sooyoung, and mostly at herself for not noticing it sooner. There was always something going on with Seulgi on her days off from school. The amount of family things that Seulgi had grew over the years and she wishes she’d been more conscious about it. 

“Don’t blame yourself, Seungwannie,” Joohyun says when they reach her apartment complex. 

“How do you do that?” Seungwan asks. 

“What?” 

“Read my mind.” 

Joohyun just smiles and cups Seungwan’s cheek. “I don’t know, I just do.” 

Yerim rolls her eyes. “I don’t feel good.” 

Both Joohyun and Seungwan look at Yerim with concern.

“What’s wrong?" "How so?” They both ask quickly.

“Because you two are being cheesy, it makes me feel sick,” Yerim adds. 

They both look relieved at Yerim’s cheeky comment. They don’t mind it as they go right back to gazing into each other’s eyes adoringly.

Yerim shakes her head at the couple. “Just so you know, I’m happy for you two. But I have something to say to you Seungwan unnie.” 

“Mm?” Seungwan turns her attention to Yerim immediately. “What is it?”

“This is the happiest I’ve seen Joohyun unnie, so don’t ruin things.” 

Joohyun purses her lips at her sister. “Yerim, you don’t need to–”

“But I do,” Yerim insists with a firm look on her face that looks extremely like Joohyun when she’s standing up to bullies. 

“It’s okay,” Seungwan assures Joohyun with a pat on her leg. “Please tell me what I can do.”

“Keep making her happy,” Yerim simply informs. She smiels at her big sister supportively as Joohyun furrows her brows. “Joohyun unnie won’t tell you when she’s upset or troubled or hurt, so you have to make sure she’s happy. Because when she’s happy she can heal better.”

“Yerim-ah–” Joohyun tries to argue.

“You like to say that you’re okay and that you’re fine, but you’re not,” Yerim points out easily. “I know how burdensome it’s been for you over the years. Seungwan unnie is the only thing that seems to make you genuinely happy, so you should let her take care of you too, unnie. You deserve it.” 

Joohyun feels guilty hearing what her sister says. “Have I really been that transparent?” she shakes her head in disbelief. 

“No, I’m just a master of observation,” Yerim chirps knowingly. 

“Yerim-ah,” Seungwan says, catching the young girl’s attention. She throws a big thumbs up at her. “Thank you.” She smiles brightly that her eyes disappear again. “I’ll take good care of Joohyun unnie, I promise. I'll always try to make her happy.” 

Joohyun feels her heart flutter uncontrollably and her entire body warm as she stares at Seungwan in awe. 

“You know? I’m surprised Yerim didn’t threaten me,” Seungwan muses as she watches Yerim go upstairs first. It’s evident by the day’s events that the young girl is exhausted.

“Would you rather she have?” Joohyun teases as she slips her arm around Seungwan’s waist. 

Seungwan blushes and returns the gesture by putting her head on Joohyun’s shoulder. “I wanted to look cool in front of you.” 

Joohyun raises an eyebrow. “To be fair, I think you were plenty cool.” 

“Was I?”

“Mm hmm.” Joohyun kisses the top of Seungwan’s head. “You didn’t have to make such a big promise to her by the way.” 

Seungwan lifts her head and narrows her eyes at Joohyun. “Of course I did,” she insists. “It wasn’t just a promise to Yerim, but it’s a promise to you.” She pulls away from Joohyun to look at her fully, grasping her hands. “I’ll always try to make you happy, Joohyun unnie, as long as you'll have me.” 

Joohyun feels a loud thump in her chest. Seungwan speaks so confidently and kindly and she stares earnestly at Joohyun with her warm brown eyes. “Seungwan-ah...stop it.” 

“Why?” 

Joohyun buries her face in Seungwan’s neck and wraps her arms tightly around her waist. “Son Seungwan, you’re making me fall in love with you.” 

Seungwan wraps her arms around Joohyun’s shoulders to return the hug. “Good because I think I’ve already done that,” Seungwan admits as her heart races. 

There’s another loud thud in Joohyun’s chest and she holds onto Seungwan more tightly to anchor herself. Her heart has threatened to revolt against her. Joohyun has to be more careful than ever because she can feel her heart beat for Seungwan. The young and innocent, yet mature and passionate girl that suddenly appeared in her life.

 

 

To tenant Bae Joohyun-ssi, 

Your payment of 1,200,000 KRW is insufficient towards your rental unit. 

Your updated cost is 1,800,000 KRW. Please provide payment by the end of business day tomorrow. 

Thank you, 

Park Group Properties

 

Joohyun sees the email before bed and curses at the second increase. Instead of going to bed, she gets up to check her bank book. Even with the help of Sooyoung’s family with their school and transportation, it’s only a small aspect of their lives. While the convenience store didn’t contribute nearly as much as the hospital or even Spark, it was flexible with Joohyun’s schedule that allowed her to work more. 

Joohyun [23:12]: I need more hours if you have anything

Joohyun is in the middle of checking the hospital for more hours when she hears her phone buzzing a few minutes later. 

“Should you be thinking about working at this hour?” Taeyeon asks instead of greeting her. 

Joohyun holds her breath. “Well the convenience store fired me, so yeah.” 

Taeyeon clicks her tongue. “Did something happen? You sound tense.” 

Joohyun exhales and rubs her eyes. “It’s fine. I just want to make sure I have options until I find a replacement job.” 

“Don’t do that, Joohyun,” Taeyeon sighs reluctantly. “You don’t need another job. Just stick with Spark and the hospital for now. The convenience store was just extra money, wasn’t it?” 

Joohyun chews the inside of her cheek. It was extra money but it’s been going into Yerim’s account for a while now. Whatever she holds onto is enough for them to live off of. With the rent going up, there isn’t going to be room for frivolous expenses. It won’t be sustainable in the long run with Chanyeol looming over them. She doesn’t trust that he won’t make more moves after this. She also needs to make moves for Seungwan’s sake.

“What is it, Joohyun? What’s going on?” Taeyeon’s voice is laced with worry. “You haven’t needed money in awhile.” 

Joohyun sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose. “It’s just the rent,” she quietly admits. “I thought it was an empty threat but the cost has gone up.”

“What? How is that possible?”

The Park Group, Park Chanyeol’s family owns this apartment complex.” 

“That bastard…”

You can’t take care of everything on your own.

“Taeyeon unnie, it’s fine. I can manage until I find another place, but,” Joohyun clutches her phone tightly, “I need your help with something else.” 

There’s very little hesitation from Taeyeon as she responds, “What do you need?” 

“Can we talk tomorrow? I think it’s better in person.” 

 

“Do you have work today, unnie?” Seungwan asks during their last lab. 

Joohyun is busy writing down their lab results. “No. I still have to look for another job.” 

Seungwan hums. “Shall we go out today?” 

“I can’t,” Joohyun stops writing and looks at Seungwan apologetically. “I have to meet Taeyeon unnie after school.” 

“Oh.” 

Joohyun looks at Seungwan sympathetically and taps her hand with her pencil. “It’s for what I told your mom I’d do,” she whispers, glancing to make sure no one was actively listening. 

Oh.” Seungwan says in realization. Joohyun nods and smiles at her to reassure her. Then Seungwan bites her lip thoughtfully before asking. “Can I meet her too?” 

Joohyun is surprised. “You want to come?” Seungwan nods confidently and Joohyun smiles warmly. “Okay, we can ride over together.” 

 

It’s a nice coffee shop that Joohyun takes Seungwan to. Where men and women in suits and business casual seem to frequent and stop by. It’s different from what Seungwan is expecting especially meeting her briefly the other day. 

“I thought you said Taeyeon-ssi owned a bar?” 

Joohyun sits down next to Seungwan in the booth. “She does, but I don’t want to take you there if Chanyeol’s eyes are on us.” 

“It’s during the day time—” 

Spark is a well known bar and I don’t want him delving into it,” Joohyun says hushed. “This place is a more neutral place and it’ll keep a good image for you.” 

Seungwan furrows her brows and saves her questions for a more private setting. Joohyun is clearly thinking of multiple things and strategizing all of her moves. It is both intriguing and impressive. She reaches under the table for Joohyun’s hand and holds it tightly. If there were words that she could use to express her gratitude for Joohyun being thoughtful, smart, and careful, while reassuring her that it’s okay to relax, Seungwan would say it. But Seungwan settles for reminding Joohyun that she is there for her. 

Joohyun’s cheek twitches and she smirks at their secretly clasped hands. 

They only let go when the waitress comes by to take their order. The waitress stutters her way through taking the order and Seungwan can’t tell if it’s because of how pretty Joohyun is or the manner in which Joohyun speaks, smoothly and kindly. She gives a couple of small bows before she scurries off to get their order. 

Seungwan can’t question it until Taeyeon shows up not long after. She’s dressed differently from when Seungwan had first met her. There’s still a rebellious and mysterious aura about her, but she’s a little less intimidating with significantly less leather. She’s in dark jeans that could pass for slacks with a flowing cream blouse that is ed dangerously low with a tattoo that peeks out along her collarbone.

“Joohyun-ah,” Taeyeon greets with a squeeze of her shoulder before slipping into the seat. She smiles at Seungwan, friendly and warm. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Son Seungwan-ssi. I’m Kim Taeyeon.” She reaches across the table to shake Seungwan’s hand. 

Seungwan awkwardly reaches out to meet Taeyeon’s hand. After meeting Park Sooyoung and enduring her hostile attitude, Seungwan wasn’t expecting such a friendly greeting. “Oh, it’s nice to meet you,” she shyly returns. 

“What?” Taeyeon bluntly points out with an amused smile. “Why are you so awkward around me?” 

Joohyun responds just as bluntly, “Because she doesn’t know you.” Seungwan feels her cheeks warm. 

Taeyeon scoffs dramatically. “How can she not know about me? You tell me everything about her all the time.” 

Joohyun’s eyes widen and Seungwan looks between the two women questioningly. “Shut up,” Joohyun hisses. Only to be laughed at by Taeyeon. 

Seungwan looks at Taeyeon for answers. 

“It’s only good things,” Taeyeon reassures. “She thinks you’re really cute with your fluffy cheeks and thinks you don't realize you have a nice .” 

“Yah!” Joohyun screeches, catching several people’s attention. Taeyeon bursts out laughing while Seungwan pouts.

“My fluffy cheeks?” Seungwan thinks self consciously. She pokes at them, maybe she should lay off the snacks. She narrows her eyes at Joohyun, who is beet red. “It’s because you keep encouraging me to eat so many snacks.” 

Joohyun is relieved that Seungwan decides to fixate on her cheeks. She can only glare at Taeyeon as the older woman laughs at the two.

Meanwhile, their order comes and Taeyeon makes the waitress flustered when she touches her hand as she takes the menu from her. 

Seungwan blushes at the brazen action and hides it by sipping her smoothie. Joohyun on the other hand mutters something about ‘Tiffany’ under her breath with a roll of her eyes. Seungwan supposes that this happens often. She completely understands because the older woman has an alluring charisma when she smiles and gazes into someone’s eyes. 

When Taeyeon is done, Joohyun speaks up, “I didn’t bring you here to flirt.” 

“I know,” Taeyeon argues back, “I was just being nice. She’s cute.” She wiggles her eyebrows. “You noticed too.” 

Joohyun’s lips thin, just like her patience. “That’s besides the point.” Seungwan furrows her brows at Joohyun. “I need your help with something important.” She sits up straight and looks seriously at Taeyeon, who tilts her head with interest. 

“It must be if you’re asking me for help.” 

Joohyun swallows and looks around carefully. “I need you to hire a private investigator for us.” 

Taeyeon tenses immediately at the request. “Joohyun, what’ve you gotten into?” 

Joohyun looks at Seungwan before holding her hand under the table. Seungwan nods, knowing that Joohyun seeks her permission to explain everything. They explain the nature of how their relationship has come to be and how Chanyeol’s behaviour has been changing.

“Joohyun, this isn’t good,” Taeyeon says thoughtfully as she drinks her coffee. She has worry written all over her face, but the frustration comes quickly. “God, what’re you supposed to do?”  

Joohyun agrees. “I’m not sure but if I can find out how he wants to ruin Seungwan, I’m sure we can stop him.” 

“People like him don’t just stop,” Taeyeon knowingly says. “He’s only going to get worse. He’s deluded; that much is obvious.” She glances at Seungwan over her coffee cup. “What kind of hurts a tiny puppy like her?” 

Seungwan pouts. “Am I the puppy?” 

“Of course, look how innocent you are. “

“I feel vaguely insulted. I’m not that innocent.” 

Taeyeon scoffs a laugh. “Of course you aren’t,” she sarcastically adds. “Joohyun just loves bad girls.” 

Joohyun rolls her eyes at Taeyeon. “Unnie, stop,” she shuts down. “You can more later. Can you help us or not?” 

“Alright, alright,” Taeyeon easily concedes, ignoring Seungwan’s betrayed look, “I have someone in mind. It shouldn’t take long to reach out to her and get something back.” 

 

Chanyeol sighs in annoyance at the pictures in his hands. “So useless,” he clicks his tongue as he flips through them. “What do I even pay you for?” He throws the pictures on the table and picks up the glass of soju. 

“I hope you’re not talking about me,” the private investigator, Kyungsoo, says as he pours his own drink. 

“Obviously not you,” Chanyeol sneers. “That that I hired you to follow. She’s not doing what I expect her to do.” 

Kyungsoo shrugs. “Do you want me to keep following them?” 

Chanyeol smiles with a devilish glint in his eyes. “Of course. I want you to make sure that you get them in a much more intimate act.” 

“I don’t think this couple gets much further than innocent kisses and hand holding,” Kyungsoo jokes, taking the shot of soju. “You’ll be paying me for a while.” 

Chanyeol scoffs and drinks his glass. “Don’t worry, I know how to make things happen. I’m going to make sure we ruin both of them.”

 


a/n: HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAY TO ME woot woot my gift from me to you readers! anyway before i go off on vacation, just wanted to post this to get back into the rhythm of this story - who misses handsome, chivalrous and COOL joohyun? or disgustingly adorable parent line with their cheesy lines and affectionate gazes? me. i miss them and writing them like this - but i need to really find their voices again 

i've got a few things lined up and i'm hoping to move this story along in true kdrama fashion so that we can take the bad guy coughchanyeolcough down so that we can give our girls a happy ending - it's gonna be a struggle to write, so please be patient <3 let me know what you think! and i look forward to seeing yall when i have time again! thank you for waiting patiently so far!