part 1

my only one
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

joohyun carries two big bags of groceries, a bag in each hand. her hands strains against the handles, the bags are heavy. her breath goes out through the nose though, she walks quickly. it's late in the evening already, yerim is waiting. she shouldn't keep her alone for that long.

she's not sure how to talk to her anymore, she's always acting up. talking like she's an adult seems to get her nowhere, joohyun needs to be a parent but she doesn't know how to do that. she walks looking ahead, wet asphalt reflects the city lights. she takes a deep breath of the air; it just rained recently, the air is clear. there's something happening up front, people are gathered together, standing around. she swallows and lets herself to smile a little.

she slows her steps the closer she gets to that place. she hears the soft strumming of a guitar and hustle and bustle of the people standing around. she walks closer, stopping at the place where there are less people around. she stands looking at the woman with short hair as she plays the guitar with closed eyes. joohyun doesn't know this piece, it must've been a new one she wrote recently. she'd know if it was an old one. she follows her fingers, moving her own against the plastic bag's handle. it's as if she could play the piece herself, having never played guitar herself. there comes a more intense part and the woman opens her eyes. she looks at each and every person upfront. she smiles beautifully, nodding along to the music.

joohyun steps to the side so she's not seen. she must have eyebags now, her make-up is messed up after a long day, who would want to look at such a sight. she stays there even when seungwan turns away finishing the song. she says something but joohyun is too far to hear her voice. people around her laugh so joohyun smiles along.

the woman shines brightly - she's in her element. she starts another guitar song and joohyun sighs. she leans against the tree she's standing close to and briefly puts down the bags down. she listens to the song, feeling as if all the worries of the day wash away as if she's back at home sitting by the deck and her mother is about to bring her some cut up fruits. you know they love you when they bring them to you unasked. she would thank her but she no longer can, can't she?

both of her parents died recently in a car crash. they were going to see her from the countryside to the big city of seoul. little yerim was left home because she had school; the neighbor was supposed to look after her. they were coming to see her because she's been working hard, building a life for herself. it's always has been her dream to live in a city, work in a big company. for years she would sit at the deck and imagine living that life. her parents worked hard in their little restaurant to send her to seoul after graduation. she choose not to attend college, she knew they could never afford it even if she wanted to. she just needed to quickly find a job after settling in and she'd be set. she could work waitressing, the tips would pile up as rent. she knew exactly what to do, planned up everything.

she didn't expect her parents to die and leave her little sister in her care. she tilts her head, making her neck crack, and shuffles her feet. she's too tired. as soon as she found a waitress job she started networking, speaking to the right people, asking around. she got lucky and landed a job at a big company as a receptionist, her friend at the waitressing job had nudged her to the right white collar, she bats her eyelashes just right and he was already speaking to his boss about an amazing employee he just found. the pay was about the same but at least she wouldn't need to be on her feet all day, wouldn't need to deal with men and their grabby hands.

she stands there looking at the shining woman and waits. she glances at her wristwatch, thinking if she has to cut it short today and go home without it. she leans down to grab her bags when she hears it - a clear sound coming from the woman. she sings as if her voice is crystal clear, like water. she sings the same song she always does when she's closing down the busking show. joohyun leans back and listens, closing her eyes. she lets the song wash her away. she listens to the woman's voice, trying to memorize it and put it in her heart. somehow only her voice makes her calm down like this. at night when she can't sleep she tries to think of her voice and her smiling face as she looks at everyone who stopped by to see her. she always looks so warmhearted, it feels like a hug; her eyes.

she stands there until the song ends until the people start to disperse until the woman puts the guitar in its case. then she slowly opens her eyes, grabs her bags, and goes home.

"i hate you!" doors slam against it's hinges.

yerim is opposite to joohyun, she loved living in the countryside, she loved her days there in the fields with her friends. she had a tight-knit group and they loved each other dearly. she wanted to start a band when they went to high school but everything fell through, of course. she's here now with joohyun and there's nothing she hates more.

joohyun had to move to a bigger apartment it costs so much more now, she barely makes it. she wants to talk to yerim, to make her listen but it's no use, every time she tries it ends up in a screaming match. like now.

joohyun leans against the counter in the kitchen breathing out harshly. it's sunday and yerim wanted to go to the mall. they don't have money for it but she doesn't understand it, she's too young for the responsibilities of adults. their apartment is small, only one bedroom, which she gave to yerim, she sleeps on the couch in the living room. open kitchen and a bathroom, that's it. it's cramped but they make do.

she looks at the time. it's almost the hour when she starts. should she go, leave yerim alone to cool off for a moment? she walks over to the doors and knocks.

"yerim, i'm going out for a moment," she says to her through the door but gets no answer. she waits for a moment before moving away and getting ready.

is it love? that thought had occurred to joohyun before. joohyun feels drawn to seungwan like and icarus to the sun. she wants to be near her, always, rotate in her orbit. she wants to listen to her voice, to the sweet music she makes. she wants to look, to see her. joohyun thinks yes, it is love but who hasn't loved somebody before. is it a crime to love her when she's unknown to her,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter