synopsis

(A GFriend College AU) 일기일회 / A Time in Our Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: hi all! i am SO SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT ;-; but thank you so much for the overwhelming response and i'm sorry it took me SO LONG to clean the synopsis up  + i decided to put in bits of the conversations/occurrences that i already had written out 

anyway, here it is, in its full glory, nah who am i kidding what glory is there with this. i decided to have it put in the same chapter as the part you guys have already read previously, because i) i did edits to it and ii) i have no idea how to chop up this long chunk of content. LOL please do give it a reread though because there are new pieces of information~

as i said, this is a synopsis so yes it might seem very different from the other works of mine that you guys have been following! also, this was written two years ago as mentioned which honestly has been sooooo troublesome because i've forgotten so many details over time... had to make sure the timeline works well also goodness that was a headache because i kept writing events jumping from time to time. i hope i won't be making anymore edits from now on though fdghjskl because i want you guys to be reading now the story i want to keep.

so... here goes?! i'm so glad you guys are finally reading this but it's also a mix of so many emotions. please do let me know in the comments what you think about the story ;-; thank you so much for all the support really, i did not expect any of this having disappeared from the buddy scene for so long 

i'll also input the description of the characters although you could find them in the twt thread

 

1) Hwang “ShinB” Eunbi
+ Major in Applied Mathematics
+ Freshman

2) Jung “Eunha” Eunbi
+ Hwang Eunbi's older sister
+ Major in Psychology with Minor in Philosophy
+ Year 2

3) Jung Yewon
+ Hwang Eunbi's best friend
+ Major in English Language and Literature
+ Freshman
+ Is in a special programme that provides her with campus housing

4) Jung Yerin
+ Yewon’s older sister
+ Major in Media and Communication
+ Year 3
+ Representative of the faculty club

5) Choi Yuna
+ A friend of Eunha
+ Major in Philosophy
+ Year 2
+ Is in the same special programme as Yewon so they stay on the same campus housing
+ In the faculty club committee (and thus knows Yerin)

6) Kim Sojung
+ Is doing a special interdisciplinary major with interest in Sociology
+ Year 4
+ Has quite a reputation in college
+ Planning committee for the college environment project

 

ShinB stumbles on an email for a college environment project. The subtopic on regional revitalisation entices her, after having worked at an urban development agency for an attachment compulsory for her bursary in high school. Four signup slots, she doesn’t really know who she wants to work with (since she's not the type to work with people she’s close to, Eunha and Yewon are out of the list), so she lets fate decide her team members, who turn out to be Sojung and Yerin. Sojung is one of the organisers of the project, heading the subtopic that ShinB is eyeing, and she had invited Yerin to join her (Yerin is easily convinced because she’s in love with Sojung who somehow is blind to this fact. Sojung’s also harbouring feelings for Yerin but doesn’t have intentions to make a proper chase for Yerin because she’s too dedicated to her commitments, or at least she’s using them as an excuse to wait it out due to her insecurity, though she does want to express herself sometimes). ShinB’s interview with Sojung leaves her with a good impression as she slowly feels an attraction growing for the senior.

ShinB and Eunha are sisters. (“It’s complicated,” they’d answer people on why they have the same names yet different surnames. They use their nicknames because of their identical names.) 

Yerin and Yewon are also sisters. However, Yewon has received a scholarship and is in a special programme to receive on-campus housing. Meanwhile Yerin stays at home (with her parents in Seoul; the family came from Incheon when their father had his job relocated here). Their differences in age, major of study and commitments also cause a slight gap between them. Nonetheless, they love each other though they do not confide in each other all the time. 

Yerin is the representative of the faculty club in the college. Yerin finds a room in the faculty that belongs to the faculty club that they could use for the project. They meet Yuna, one of the second-years working with Yerin in the faculty club, who happens to be ShinB’s sister’s (Eunha’s) classmate. (One incident with Yuna prior to the start of the project gives ShinB her first impression of Yuna:

“Yuna!” Eunha waves cheerfully.

“Oh, Eunbi! I’m going to meet my junior,” Yuna smiles brightly.

Eunha puts her hand down. “Oh,” she tries to smile.

“See you later?” Yuna brings a hand up and briefly waves, and Eunha responds by pushing the corners of her lips into a smile.

“Unnie who’s that?” ShinB hushes into Eunha’s ear.

Eunha narrows her eyes at ShinB. “My friend. Choi Yuna. Oh, apparently she’s in that same programme as Yewon, they might know each other.”

“Ooh,” ShinB nods, “She’s pretty.”

Yes, of course, Eunha thinks to herself, but she rolls her eyes. “Does everyone just seem pretty to you?”

“No? If so, I’d say you’re pretty.”

Eunha feels heat rising in her ears. “Hwang Eunbi, get lost now.”

ShinB throws her head back as she laughs. 

This was when ShinB had gone over to the LA faculty buildings to meet Eunha who was to bring the younger to the Office of Student Affairs to submit her financial assistance application. The younger had long ago whined for the older to help her do it but it seems she had to be there herself to sign on several forms.)

Yuna joins in with the project because three isn't enough. Through the course of the project, the girls grow close. Yewon is also often with them because she’s Yerin’s sister who happens to be ShinB’s best friend. And in fact, Yuna and Yewon have known each other from their special programme and Yerin did have an upper hand in bringing Yuna in, knowing Yuna's feelings for her sister. 

“Oh, Yerin sunbae!” Yuna greets with a smile. “I just need to check the logistics.”

“Oh, hi Yuna yah! Wow, there are so many things around here today...” Yerin scratches her head as she scans the room, her eyes lingering on the open cardboard boxes.

“Oh, I am so sorry, I should hurry get done with it...” Yuna asks. Seeing that Yerin is trying to move a bulky box, she puts her baggage down at the table and rushes over, “Let me help you. You have a meeting for the project? I’m so sorry it’s today that I decided to do the checks...”

“Don’t worry about it Yuna. Speaking of which...” Yerin taps her finger while in thought as her hands are on her hips. She her lips and decides to try, “We do need one more person. Would you like to join us?” 

“Hmm, I don’t think so, it’s not really my cup of tea-”

“Yewon might help us out,” Yerin playfully adds.

Yuna gulps. “A-And?”

Yerin chuckles. “It’s okay, Yuna yah, I know and I’m fine with it. Just, join us? Please?”

“Aren’t you supposed to go through interviews and all?” Yuna isn’t yet convinced.

“I’ll speak to Sojung unnie,” Yerin remains grinning. Seeing no response from Yuna, she says again, “Come on, I’ll really ask Yewon to be with us too, we just need one more official member.”

Yuna finds herself on the verge of giving in. She closes her eyes shut and chides herself internally, her soft spot having been found out by Yerin. “What is it about?” Yuna checks the items on the shelves against a list in her mobile phone while asking.

“Regional revitalisation. Bring life to the rural regions, make the countryside a brighter and more attractive place for all. They are really lots of perks to doing this, especially since it’s Sojung unnie who is the committee rep,” Yerin tries to entice Yuna.

Yuna sighs again. Done with her work at the shelves, Yuna goes to the boxes and helps Yerin in shifting them into a neater layout.  

“You can think about it,” Yerin says.

“I’ll get going first,” Yuna says when she puts another box down. Collecting her belongings, she exits the storeroom, a troubled frown on her lips. 

(Nobody knows that Yewon’s had a crush on ShinB for quite a while. They first met in their last year of middle school when the Jung sisters moved to Seoul, and ShinB being the new friend protecting Yewon who was the timid new kid: 

“It’s okay,” ShinB smiles as she places an arm around Yewon, which startles the girl, “I’ll be your friend here.” 

Yewon does not answer, but tries to smile. 

“Am I your first friend in Seoul?” ShinB chirps, to which Yewon nods. “As-ssa!” she exclaims, and finally, Yewon breaks into a small chuckle, an adorable one that delights ShinB. 

From then on they were always together, going onto the same high school, and they made their university choices together as well- it was guaranteed when they found out later on that ShinB’s older sister was in the same university as Yewon’s; they knew that would be the university they’d go to.) Soon enough, Yewon is in on the project as well. ShinB begins to find the bulk of her enjoyment and purpose on the project even though she was initially averse to the idea of working with people she’s close to; on the contrary, her sense of attachment to the group grows way beyond her expectations.

They start hanging out together more often. Yerin and Yewon are grateful for the chance to be with each other more often. ShinB also finds that Yerin and herself share a similar wavelength and they grow close, much to Yewon's surprise and delight. However, her affection grows for Sojung (whom she catches herself admiring in stares since they first met in the application interview).

ShinB then realises how Yerin and Sojung look at each other a little differently. The two indeed share quite a bit of history as Sojung was the previous faculty representative before passing the baton on to Yerin. (Yerin is also aware about the various mishaps Sojung had had to go through with her reputation in school.) ShinB is aware of her feelings for Sojung, but knows that nothing will ever possibly happen.

Sojung and Yerin on the other hand, go back and forth for a long while:

“Oh, you’re here,” Sojung says as soon as she opens the door to see Yerin busying with the logistics in the storeroom. 

“Oh, yeah, did you text me? I left my phone on the table,” Yerin briefly tur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter