Almost is never enough

Clean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When she gets home, Ning is waiting for her like a parent ready to scold their kid who snuck out. At least that's what it's like in movies.

"I almost thought you'd sleep over there," Ning muses from the couch, watching her take off her shoes and trudge to her room, leaving the door open.

"I'd miss your presence too much, my sweet baby," she singsongs loudly, taking off her clothes and getting ready for a shower. "I'm gonna shower before the lecture, okay?" she doesn't wait for an answer and lets the hot water soothe her tired muscles.

Next time, she's gonna choose lighter dates. Maybe walks in the park aren't so cliche. She always did want to go on a picnic, so that's another possibility. No more physical activities for a while. Assuming women still want to go out with her, of course. She's starting to get a bad rep. Maybe she just shouldn't be carrying drunk girls up 16 floors. Maybe. 

She gets out of the shower eventually despite the comforting warmth of the water. She does her nightly routine as slow as she can, hoping the younger would fall asleep by the time she gets out of the bathroom. But of course, there sits Ning in their living room, watching some anime Gi probably recommended.

"Time to face the music," she mutters to herself, before sitting down beside her on the couch.

"What's the damage?" Ning asks directly. "How far are the setbacks?"

"Where is your faith in me? I'm a strong independent woman--"

"You almost stayed, didn't you?"

"Yeah," she sighs. "It was Yeji."

"Ji, I'm not ready to carry you home again. Please have mercy on my fragile body," Ning deadpans.

She laughs at that. That night really left an impression on Ning.

"It's not that level," she assures the girl. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Yeah you are. So what changed?"

"I'm just Jimin," Ning looks ready to protest so she continues. "I can't be her Yuji when she's only my Yej when Ryujin's not around."

She waits for her friend to say something but when she looks at her, there's just that comforting look in her eyes. She could never do this without Ning. 

"I heard her tonight, you know?" she adds, thinking she might as well lay herself bare all at once. "She asked me to stay and it was like before. When it was still us. When I had--Well...maybe. It's been so long."

"Let's go to your room. You need cuddles," Ning gets up and pulls her up too, pushing her gently to her room.

They lie down on the bed and Ning hugs her comfortably. She really, really needed this.

"You're not just Jimin, you know?" Ning tells her off. "You're THE Karina Jimin Yoo. Everybody wants to be you or be with you. You could be the Regina George of our department if you want to."

"But she still chose--"

Ning covers midsentence. Okay, maybe that was too mopey. It's true, though. Karina Jimin Yoo was still not enough.

"She hugged me earlier too," she fills in the silence.

"She has a girlfriend," Ning reminds her like it's not seared and branded into her heart as fact.

"So do you but here we are," she teases.

"Oh, please. Aeri would be on your other side if she didn't have a paper due tomorrow," Ning readily answers. "I don't even know why she went out with Yeji tonight."

Jimin laughs because there's a tinge of jealousy in the younger's voice. Perks of being a girlfriend. Jimin can't relate.

"She's still our friend, you know? She couldn't have invited either of us sober. Gi was the best option."

"If she wasn't so dense--" it's her turn to cover Ning's mouth.

 

"It's not her fault that her bestfriend fell for her, okay?" she reminds the girl. "We've been through this countless of times. I'm the stupid one for not being able to hug her like this without breaking my heart."

Ning just hugs her tighter. She's starting to feel the tiredness from today sink in.

"It isn't a sin to fall in love, Yu Jimin," she hears before she falls asleep. "It's not your fault either."

-

Today is the day. They're moving on to bigger things, going separate ways. What's another change in the face of university?

"Yuji?" Yeji calls out.

Deep breaths. She is brave. She is capable. She is irrevocably in love with her best friend.

"Hi, Yej. Thanks for coming," she tries her best not to stutter.

Yeji only smiles and sits down beside her on the bench their group always hangs around. But there are no other friends right now. Ning and Gi are probably somewhere in the building distracting them.

"Why do you sound so formal?" Yej pokes her waist.

God, she's so ing in love with this girl. Her smile, her eyes, the way she speaks. Just everything.

"I have something to tell you," she says playfully. 

"I do too!" Yeji grins excitedly. "Can I g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter