Chapter 4

I think I...

The party tonight was fairly big. Bigger than two nights ago, though a different host.

Siyeon and Bora had arrived together for what seemed like forever ago, with both friends suffering the painful walk of coming out here. At least it was the weekend so no heart feelings.

Bora wore a beautiful black dress that stopped at her thighs. Siyeon being Siyeon wore the same clothes as two nights ago, Bora scolding her as she did so. It's not like Siyeon had any money to spare, she was broke and the last time she checked her bank account was about a week ago, having only $15.

Siyeon lets out a breath, the cold biting her skin. Bora shivering next to her.

"Told you it was gonna be cold." she exclaims.

The smaller rolls her, "yeah, yeah," hands rubbing her cold arms.

Just when they were about to walk in they heard voices behind them, “did you hear?! JB is apparently the host of today's party!”

Brows furrowed at the new found information, Siyeon glances behind her to find the same girls from two nights ago. She makes a face of disgust, Bora who notices jabs her ribs in a scolding manner.

Siyeon gives her a ‘what’ look before looking ahead. She no longer felt cold, instead she felt warm. Too warm.

Bora seems to notice the younger girl thinking hard. Lost in her own thoughts to even notice the concerned look of the older. Bora could practically imagine what is going on inside Siyeon’s head. 

“I’m not going in.” disbelief is written all over Bora’s face. Because one, she is not going back, not when she spent hours getting ready and the painful walk here with heels on. So either she would convince Siyeon that nothing would happen as long as she stays sober.

 

————

 

It didn’t take long before Siyeon finally gave in with the condition that Bora stays with her. Bora eagerly agreed, promising her that she would stay by her side.

Siyeon quietly sighs, “I-I guess i’ll stay sober…” just saying that outloud hurt her. Because she loves her beer.

Bora is quick to take her by the arm and drag her inside before the girl could change her mind. Siyeon groaned as she did so, already having a bad feeling.

 

 

————

 

 

To no one’s surprise, sober Siyeon didn’t last long. At all. Bora had lost Siyeon once she came back from the bathroom minutes after telling Siyeon to sit tight. 

Bora was frantically trying to find Siyeon in the sea of sweaty bodys dancing like  there was no tomorrow. She began to feel stressed, feeling the urge to get drunk like everyone else but not wanting to break her promise to Siyeon.

She could probably look for Handong the bartender to help her as the girl was always at parties. Especially when Bora was close friends with the girl as well. Bora was feeling real confident as she went to check the bar for any signs of Handong being there.

To her surprise, who she saw instead was Minji. Minji leaning against the counter, a red cup in hand.

The smaller curses under her breath, looking both ways to check any signs of Siyeon being close by knowing the girl was always close to the bar.

No luck in finding Siyeon anywhere close, the smaller lets out a sigh of relief. Bora felt tired all of a sudden, Minji who was a few feet away did not seem to notice her, too busy occupied by her phone. Bora really needed a drink, especially running all around to find Siyeon.

With a small smile Bora makes her way to the bar.

A familiar face greets her, “Unnie!” 

 

“Handong, didn't expect to see you behind the bar,” The smaller teases earning a small whine from the blonde who gave her Bora’s usual. Thanking the blonde, Bora takes a sip of her tonic drink mixed with others. Handong is the expert here, not Bora, even though Handong somehow knows her favorite alcoholic drink. Not that she’s complaining. 

Both girls do small talk with Minji who couldn’t help but listen to how loud Handong and Bora talked even with the loud music playing.

Finishing her drink Minji looks ahead looking at nothing in particular to lost in her own thoughts. She's been getting lost in her thoughts lately that it's become a problem. Especially at school.

Minji shakes her head, riding off the thoughts. Tilting her head slightly to the side to see an already drunk Bora and a flustered Handong trying to contain a flirty Bora from trying to lean in and kiss her. Minji slightly chuckles. Maybe she should help Handong?Just as Minji was about to open to ask if she needed any help, a voice cuts her off.

 

 

—————

 

 

Siyeon drunkenly makes her way over to the bar, bumping and tripping as she does so. Only one thought repeatedly in mind,  —you Minji and you mullet boy! It's the only thing that's been repeating in her mind since she got drunk. If she were sober right now she would rather throw herself next to a speeding car to run her over dead.

Her vision is slightly blurry but she makes out a familiar figure in the distance, she immediately recognizes her as Minji, Minji who looks deep in thought. Siyeon halts, heart fluttering against her chest.

Looking down at her chest she drunkenly slurs, “He-heart w-why ar-re you beating so-so fast…?” Siyeon staggers and woah, she must be so drunk that she can’t even keep herself up straight. She doesn’t seem to mind. Because her eyes are back on Minji and…it's like deja vu all over again.

Siyeon scowls at the figure standing next to Minji wearing a cocky smile, arms wrapped around Minji’s waist. once again making her way over to the bar.

 

 

Minji was feeling amusing at a funny joke JB was telling her smelling the weed and alcohol when he spoke.

JB leans in close, “I’m telling you babe, I even fell down laughing my off! I thought I was gonna die!” he dramatically explains, a drunken smile on his lips. Minji shook her head in disbelief that something that funny made JB fall down.

She chuckles, “and what happened next?” she asks in anticipation.

JB grins, “and then Jackson–!”

 

 

“Mullet boy!”

 

They both turn to look at a very drunken Siyeon swaying side to side. Minji’s eyes widened with worry written all over her face. Just when Minji was going to walk toward Siyeon, JB blocks her.

JB looks Siyeon up and down with annoyance, a tongue running over his lips in distaste. 

Siyeon seems to notice and scoffs rolling eyes. Mullet boy in Siyeon’s mind looks like an ugly goat with a terrible mullet. She gags at the mental image. Suddenly she feels like throwing up. Did the mental image of an ugly mullet goat gone wrong really that terrible?

Feeling herself wanting to vomit, Siyeon sluggishly turns away from Minji and mullet boy and throws up all over the floor.

“Siyeon!”

Siyeon doesn't seem to hear Minji’s voice of concern, her mind only on throwing out all the food and alcohol out of her system.

Everyone who was close and could see what was happening stopped and turned to look over at Siyeon. Whispering amongst themselves, judging a teary eyed Siyeon. Minji looked so worried, not knowing what to do. Should she go to the girl and drag her out? From her peripheral vision Minji takes notice of Handong trying to contain a resisting Bora from going over to Siyeon. Who now looked deathly pale.

 

it.

 

Minji runs over to Siyeon, JB protesting behind her, but she ignores it. Siyeon was more important.

Just when Minji was about to take Siyeon’s arm, she's pushed back forcibly, almost missing her step and falling down. JB who was watching from behind grits his teeth, fists clenched in anger. Minji was shocked. She was way too shocked to even notice an incoming hand coming closer to her face.

 

A loud slap echoes.

 

Why does her cheek sting? Minji who barely touches her left cheek winces. Her eyes watery, but not understanding what happened.

Her eyes ever so slowly follow Siyeon, eyes widen, mouth open with shock and regret on her face the moment Minji mumbles quietly, “why?” tears streaking down her face.

“I–Mi–I’m so sor–” she doesn’t get to finish her sentence before she is punched right in the face knocking her down.

“Siyeon!”

Siyeon recognizes that as Bora and Minji’s voices. Bora finally free from Handong’s hold and Minji who kneels down, gently taking Siyeon’s bloody face into her warm hands.

Everything else is hazy for the girl. But what she does remember was the soothing and calm voice of Minji. Minji, who was silently crying with a red clear mark on her cheek. And Siyeon feels shame and regret and everything else she can’t think about at that moment. 

Her eyesight began to fade, little black spots covering her vision. Only one thing in mind.

 

I’m so sorry Minji.

 

A single tear rolls down her cheek.

Before everything went dark.