Chapter 3

Maybe in Another Life (Wenrene)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene's POV

It had been over 5 months since my brother and his wife passed away, leaving Yeri under my care. And it had been over 3 months since I started to work the night shift at the convenience store while working as a barista, going to classes and spending time with Yeri.

I must say that it started to take a toll on me.

I am very tired.

Tired of running around from convenience store to the cafe, to the school and to the home.

Tired of handling the erted manager at the convenience store.

Tired of handling rude Karens at the cafe.

Tired of doing house chores.

Tired of studying.

Tired of arguing with Jennie.

Yes, our relationship just went downhill after our mini argument on call after I cancelled our date for Yeri and after I started working at the convenience store.

I tried texting and calling her but she don't really reply or talk much.

Like she had lost interest in me.

And it hurts.

I dreamed of a future with Jennie along with my brother's family. But now my brother is gone, his wife is gone and Jennie is also getting farther away from me.

And it hurts.

I feel alone.

Sometimes, when Yeri is sleeping soundly, I wonder who there is for me cause I feel so lonely.

It is so cold.

And oftentimes, I break down and cry.

I still miss my brother so much. 

I still miss Krystal so much. 

And I am quite not sure of what I am doing. 

It's like someone suddenly blindfolded me and left me to fend for myself. I don't know what I am doing.

I don't know how to be a parent figure to Yeri.

I don't know how to be a good girlfriend to Jennie.

I don't know how to be a good friend to Seulgi and Joy.

I don't know how to be a good student at the university.

I don't know how to pay off all the debts that don't seem to be reduced in the amount no matter how much I pay.

I don't know how to avoid the manager without riling him up because I need the job.

I don't know.

I just don't know.

And again I cried myself to sleep for a little while after a long day at work with the manager lowkey assaulting me.

I have some important work to do later in the morning.

Next morning

I woke up after sleeping for 3 hours and I started to get ready for the day.

Today is the day that I will send Yeri to her new preschool. My little girl is growing up and I am sure my brother and Krystal would be so proud of their precious baby.

I went to wake Yeri up after getting ready and she was up in no time. She looked excited to go to school. She is a smart girl. I just know that she is going to have a blast at school.

I was a little worried about Yeri because she doesn't have anyone to talk to when I am working or at school. She only meets Seulgi and Joy occasionally and other than them, she doesn't really meet new people and I was worried.

I was worried about her social skills.

I quickly got Yeri ready and brushed her hair.

"Are you excited about your school baby?" I asked her while brushing her hair and she nodded her head excitedly.

"Yes... I want to make a lot of friends." I smiled when I heard that. She's such a cute girl.

"Okay, let's have breakfast then we will go." I grabbed her bag and went to the kitchen. I kept some of her snacks in her bag and place the breakfast on her side of the dining table. She joined me at the dining table soon and we ate together before going to school.

Seulgi and Joy joined me to send her off to school as well.

"Yerim-ah, listen to your teacher. Don't fight or hurt others. Always be kind okay?" Seulgi told Yeri while caressing her cheeks and Yeri nodded her head cutely.

I smiled seeing their interaction.

"Don't put up with bullies as well. If someone disturbs you or hurts you, tell Aunt Joy, I will teach them a lesson." It was Joy's turn to give her advice and Yeri chuckled when she heard that. "Don't worry Aunt. I will handle them and if I can't, I will let you know." She said and Joy high fived Yeri.

I shook my head seeing them together. Joy always teaches Yeri to prank me and she is also super protective of her.

"Yerim-ah, call me if anything happens okay? I will come to get you no matter what. Love you little one." I told her and Yeri throw her little arms around my legs to hug me tightly.

I got down on the ground and hugged her properly before giving her a kiss on her forehead. She smiled widely when she felt my kiss and leaned in to kiss my cheek before saying bye to us and running into the school.

I smiled seeing how happy she is and I was happy to see her happy.

I waited until I couldn't see Yeri from where I was standing and I went back home together with Joy and Seulgi.

"What are you going to do now unnie? Go back to sleep?" Joy asked me while driving us back to the apartment.

"No. I have to complete my assignment. So I was thinking of going to my university to do my work there." Joy sighed when she heard my answer.

"Why not rest first unnie?" She asked me while glaring at me from the rearview mirror and I smiled when I saw her glaring eyes.

"I'm okay Sooyoung-ah. I will sleep after completing my assignment." I told her while smiling softly.

"Are you really okay unnie? You could talk to us about anything okay? I'm so worried about you. I see you had gotten thinner." It was Seulgi's turn to say something and I chuckled when I heard that.

"Really? I guess my diet is working." I told her and chuckled but just received her disapproving eyes.

"Don't lie unnie. I know you had not been sleeping well, eating well, or resting well. Please don't keep everything to yourself okay. You still have us." She said softly and reached her hand out from the front seat to hold my hand.

"Yes unnie, you have us." Joy said and smiled at me from the rearview mirror and I smiled at their words.

I'm thankful to have friends like them.

I definitely wouldn't be able to hold my together for this long if it's not for them.

"Thank you Seulgi-ah, Sooyoung-ah. But I am really fine. I will talk to you guys if I need to. Don't worry about me. I'm doing better than I thought." I told them and pat Seulgi's hand before turning to look outside.

I heard them sigh softly but they didn't push me to talk.

I am not sure why but I didn't tell them about the harassment I am facing at my workplace. I don't want them to worry about me. I don't want them to waste their time on me. I feel like they're already wasting their personal time to take care of Yeri for me. I cannot be more selfish by telling them each and every problem of mine and making them worry about me. 

They need to live their life as well.

They dropped me off at my university and I went to the library to work on my assignments. I spent my morning at the university and went back home to cook lunch for Yeri. I made her favourite, kimchi fried rice with a fried egg and cleaned my home before going to Yeri's school to pick her up.

I waited for about 10 minutes with the other parents and soon I saw Yeri running towards me with a wide smile on her face.

Seeing her smile made me smile widely as well and I opened my arms for her to jump into. She hugged me tightly once she was close in distance to me and I closed my eyes, feeling her warmth. "I missed you, baby," I told her and she hugged me tighter when she heard me.

"I missed you too mommy."

My eyes immediately opened wide and I stiffened slightly when I processed what she said.

Did she just call me mommy?

No way.

I pulled away from our hug and she gave me a wide smile.

Did she unknowingly call me mommy?

Before I could ask her about it, one of the kids came to us with her parent. The parent gave me a friendly smile when I looked at them and I smiled and nodded my head a little.

"Sorry, my daughter wanted to say something to yours." The lady said and I was about to correct her and say that Yeri is my niece but Yeri beat me to it.

"Hi Julie, meet my mommy. I told you about her just now in class."

No.

She definitely didn't call me mommy unknowingly.

I was not sure why she is calling me mommy all of the sudden and I didn't know if I should forbid her from calling me mommy.

"Hi, auntie. Can I have a play date with Yeri sometime?" The little girl asked me politely and I was not sure what to tell her.

"Urhmm... if your mother allows it, then sure...?" I ended my sentence a little questioningly and looked at the mother. She smiled and nodded her head.

"Here is my number. Let's discuss it sometime later. Let's go home Julie-ah." She gave me her business card and another smile before waving bye to us. The little girl gave Yeri a hug before following her mother to their car.

Madam Yoona, catering service.

I guess I need to get acquainted with other parents.

"Let's go, mommy. I am hungry." Yeri said and pulled my hand slightly.

Every time I hear her calling me mommy, I feel an unknown emotion. I am not sure if I am feeling happy, guilty or scared.

I kinda feel happy to be addressed as a mother.

I kinda feel guilty because it should be Krystal in my place but she didn't get to experience this.

I kinda feel scared because it is a huge responsibility. When I was just an aunt to her, I didn't have a lot of responsibilities. 

I was just a fun aunt to her. 

But after her parents' death, I was kinda becoming her parent figure. Her calling me mother just reinforces that I am no longer her fun aunt but her parent. I am the one who should raise her to become a good person for this society. 

That is a huge responsibility and I am scared.

We went home and she told me how her school day was while eating happily. I was content to listen to her stories and I responded appropriately when she asked me something.

I wanted to ask her why she is calling me mommy after all these days.

I was curious.

So, I decided to ask her after having our lunch.

"Yerim-ah...can I ask you something?" I asked her while finger-combing her long thick hair. She was laying on my lap while playing with her dolls.

"Yes, mommy."

"Why are you calling me mommy? You were calling me auntie until yesterday." I asked her softly while looking at her reactions. I was scared to make her sad by asking about this. I was just curious.

"Why not? Today, in class, the teacher told me that mommy is the person who will wake us up every day, comb our hair and make food for us. You are the one w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter