Chapter 5

Maybe in Another Life (Wenrene)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene's POV

The last few days had been quiet.

And I got a little suspicious of it.

I didn't run into Jennie or even the manager at work and my life was quiet and peaceful for the last few days.

But I should've known that it wouldn't last long.

I went to work as usual today and I saw Wendy was already at the cashier. She flashed me a smile when she saw me coming in and I smiled at her before going into the locker room.

I wanted to change quickly so that I can go and help Wendy.

I took off my top and was digging into my locker when I heard hurried footsteps outside the locker room.

I didn't give it a second thought, thinking Wendy was just busy out there.

I never expected her to barge into the locker room.

She opened the door so quickly that I only managed to turn around and use the shirt that I finally found in the locker before Wendy barged in to cover my front.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry." I heard Wendy exclaiming loudly in shock before slamming the door shut once again and running away from the room.

I smiled slightly when I heard her literally running away after walking in on me changing.

I'm the idiot. I forgot to lock the door while in rush.

I sighed softly before changing quickly.

I should've been more careful. What if it was a customer who walked in while looking around the shop or God forbid, what if it was that manager who walked in?

I really should've been more careful.

Thankfully it was just Wendy.

Since we are girls, it's alright for me even if she managed to peek at my body.

Okay, that sounds so wrong.

But it's not like I was . I was still wearing my bra, so that's okay.

Now I should go and face her.

I kept all my belongings in my locker before going out to the counter. Wendy was there, checking the list of stock bought with slightly shaky hands.

"I am sorry, I forgot to lock the door," I told her as soon as I was close enough and she just shooked her head.

"No, no, I am sorry. I should've knocked. It's my fault." She said while blushing hard. Her cheeks were so red and her ears were red as well.

She looked so cute though.

"It's okay Seungwan-ah. We are girls. No problem. Don't worry about it." I told her calmly and decided not to for blushing. She looked at me slightly surprised and nodded her head hesitantly.

I started to check on the list as well when I heard her calling me that for the first time.

"Unnie..."

I was pleasantly surprised when she called me unnie. She was always quite formal around me. I looked at her with slightly widened eyes.

"I just want to let you know about this so that you will be more careful around me."

My eyes widened, even more, when I heard her say that. What does she mean by that? Why I should be careful around her. Is she a psychopathic serial killer?

Oh my God.

She doesn't look like that though.

But we shouldn't judge the book by its cover.

Before I can internally panic even more she said something that made me laugh.

"I like girls unnie. I am a lesbian."

That was the least I was expecting her to say when she sounded so serious a while ago. I couldn't help but laugh.

I laughed like it was the funniest thing that I had heard in a while.

And it was the first time that I laughed uncontrollably after my brother's and his wife's death.

She looked a bit offended and confused as to why I am laughing and I managed to control my laughter after a while.

I placed a hand on her shoulder and pat it.

"Seungwan-ah, I don't care about your uality and I believe I don't have to be careful around you just for that. Hahahhaha"

Wendy no longer looked offended but she looked confused by my reaction.

"If I need to be careful around you, you should be careful around me too. Because... I am biual myself. Hahahhaha."

Wendy's eyes widened when she heard my statement but soon she joined in my laughter and laughed loudly.

"Oh my god. Sorry unnie hahahha this is so funny. Sorry I assumed things about you." We laughed for a moment until a customer walked to the counter and cleared their throat.

"Is that all?" Wendy immediately attend to the customer, not before throwing another wide smile at me and I chuckled before taking the list that Wendy was checking just now and going to the store room.

I was not expecting him to be there though.

I walked into the store room with a lingering smile on my face. It had been a while since I laughed and smiled happily.

I was checking the ramen stock when I heard his voice right behind me.

"You looked so beautiful laughing together with Wendy." His sudden voice and appearance behind me scared the crap out of me.

I dropped the list that I was holding and screamed in fear when I heard his voice.

"Oh, calm down, it's just me."

I put a hand over my chest, which was beating so fast and loud and turned around to face him.

"What are you doing here sir?" I asked him while trying to get ahold of myself. I don't want him to see that he had scared me, way more than he might expect.

"Oh, I just came to check on you. It had been a while since I checked on you, ever since Wendy joined. She is always around." The tone he used when he said that shows that he is not very happy about having Wendy around.

"I don't know why the boss wants her here. I am pretty sure you can handle everything here." When he said the word 'handle' he stepped closer to me which made me move back until I was trapped between him and the rack with no way out.

"Now that I am close enough, I can see that you are very pretty Irene. Very pretty. So pretty." He said that and leaned closer to me. I was gripping the rack handle for dear life and tried my best to move away from him. I was unsure why I couldn't make a sound and couldn't push him away.

I felt as if I am trapped with no way out.

I felt as if there would be no use for me to fight him.

I never expected to be in this situation.

"You are so pretty that you are making me feel different things, Irene." He said that when he was close enough to my face and he was about to lean in more. I turned my head away from him and closed my eyes tightly, hoping to wake up from this nightmare.

"Unnie, are you okay here? I thought I heard you screaming." I heard Wendy's voice from afar and her rushed footsteps, indicating that she is coming here.

Which means, the manager can't do anything anymore.

He leaned away from me and cursed under his breath.

"I am going to make sure that she leaves this job." He muttered in anger and soon Wendy reached where we were. I was still shaking slightly from the assault that I just faced.

"Oh my God, unnie. Are you okay? You look very pale." Wendy asked me and walked over to my side quickly when she noticed that I was shaking and breathing heavily. Almost hyperventilating.

I tried to nod my head and leaned into Wendy who side-hugged me.

"She is okay. She just got scared of the spider. Hahah silly Irene." The manager said when Wendy looked at him questioningly. "Bring her out and give her some water. I have work to do." He said quickly and left us alone in the room.

I was able to breathe easier with him out of my sight.

"Come unnie, let's get out of here," Wendy said softly and guided me out to the locker room. I was having trouble walking because my knees were still shaking so I leaned more into Wendy and we go to the locker room.

She rushed out to get something as soon as we were in the room and I slumped on the chair.

I can't believe that the manager got the gut to assault me with people around.

I thought he lost interest in me but it seems like he was just looking for the right time to corner me. Thankfully, Wendy heard me and came to look for me. I can't imagine what would've happened if she was not around.

I didn't realise when Wendy came back. Not until she shooked my shoulders slightly.

"Unnie, you okay there? I had been calling out your name for quite some time." Immediately I nodded my head and Wendy gave me a glass of water to drink.

I gulped the water down quickly.

Wendy was looking at me with concern and worry in her eyes.

"What happened unnie?"

How could I tell her that our manager just tried to ually assault me?

"Urhmm nothing. I just got frightened with the...with the... spider." She doesn't look convinced by my answer but I did not notice that. I was more focused on collecting myself together.

"I am okay Wannie. Please go and continue w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter