Chapter 4

Maybe in Another Life (Wenrene)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene's POV

Yeri and I went back home in a taxi and the ride was quiet. The usual talkative Yeri was very quiet and I was quiet as well. I was thinking of where Jennie and I went wrong. We were happy in our relationship but why the sudden changes?

We reached our home soon and I sighed softly when I saw the food that I prepared with full of love for us to have lunch together.

"Yerim-ah, go and take a shower first. Mommy will wait for you to join me here." I told Yeri softly and she nodded her head before going into the washroom.

I took my phone out and called Seulgi to offer her to eat together with us.

Seulgi didn't miss her chance to eat some homemade food and said she will come with Joy in a few minutes.

I was feeling tense and I was quite not sure what to do next.

And I couldn't believe that I broke up with Jennie.

What was I thinking? How could I so easily ask her to break up with me and leave? I was never that type of person.

I wanted to smoke so badly so I went to the balcony to smoke before Yeri finished showering.

I can feel myself calming down after taking the first whiff of the cigarette and I closed my eyes.

Maybe it really is for the better.

I don't think I can handle her anymore.

Yeah for the better.

I finished smoking and it was then the bell rang, signalling Seulgi and Joy were here.

I immediately popped a gum in my mouth because I didn't want them to know that I am smoking. Then I closed the balcony door before going to open the front door.

Joy immediately wrapped me in a hug as soon as I open the door.

I stiffened slightly in her arms before relaxing and wrapping my arms around her waist. Seulgi wrapped me in a hug from my back and we were hugging each other for quite some time. 

Their warm hug made me sigh softly on Joy's shoulders and they pulled away after a moment. 

"Sorry unnie, I was the one who asked Jennie to talk to you. I told her about what you had been doing and I asked her to be more understanding. I thought she will be more understanding after I explain the things you had been going through but I didn't expect this unnie. I am so sorry." Joy said softly with tears in her eyes after we pulled away from the hug and I sighed softly. 

I understand that Joy meant well. 

Maybe it is bound to happen. 

I never thought Jennie would be like this as well. So it is not Joy's fault. 

"It's okay Sooyoung-ah. It already passed. I am okay. Let's not talk about this anymore. She's my past. Yeri actually heard her raising her voice and she didn't look okay while we were on the way back home. Can you guys please try to cheer her up while having lunch?" I asked them and Seulgi immediately nodded her head. 

"Don't worry unnie. We will cheer her up." 

Just then, I saw Yeri coming out of her room, freshly showered and I smiled when I saw her. 

"Look who is here to have lunch with you, baby girl," I chirped with a big smile and Yeri's face immediately lit up when she saw Seulgi and Joy.

"Aunt Seulgi, Aunt Joy!" She ran and jumped into Joy and Seulgi's arms who kneeled with their arms wide open so they can scoop Yeri in their arms. 

I smiled seeing their interaction and I felt slightly relieved knowing Seulgi and Joy can brighten up Yeri's mood and if I am lucky, they might even help Yeri to forget the events that occurred at her school. 

That night

I was preparing to go to my workplace when I saw Yeri peeking into my bedroom. I wonder what she is up to now. 

Thankfully as I wished, Seulgi and Joy helped to distract Yeri and they actually left just moments ago to grab some things from their apartment. They will come back to spend the night with Yeri and help me to drop her off at school in the morning. 

"Yerim-ah, come in. What are you doing there?" I asked her softly and she take hesitant steps into my room. I sat on my bed and let her stand in between my legs so that I can look into her eyes and try to guess what she is thinking. 

"Mommy...uhmm....Can I really call you mommy?" I did not expect her to ask this question. I blinked multiple times and sighed softly when I heard her question.

Yeri is a smart girl. 

She is really smart for her age and she can understand some things like an adult would. 

So, it seems like she understood what Jennie meant just now. 

I was hoping Yeri would not understand what Jennie meant. 

"Yes, you can baby. You really can. If you are comfortable with it, mommy won't stop you from calling me mommy." I told her softly and pecked her forehead. 

"I am, mommy. I feel happy to know that I still have a mommy. But are you comfortable with me calling you mommy? I heard Aunt Jennie saying I shouldn't call you mommy." She avoided eye contact with me when she said that. 

I felt a wave of anger rising in me when I heard her saying Jennie's name. If it's not because of her, Yeri wouldn't be looking so sad right now. She is really an idiot for saying all that in front of a small child. 

"I am comfortable, baby. Look, it doesn't matter what others think. What matters is me and you comfortable and happy being a mother and child." I told her softly and Yeri nodded her head. 

"I am sorry for causing a fight between you and aunt Jennie." She mumbled softly and I closed my eyes to remain patient. The mere mention of Jennie is making me furious now. 

"Baby, you didn't cause anything. Things didn't work out between us. It's okay baby. You don't have to worry about that." I told her softly and engulf her in a hug. Yeri hugged me back tightly. "I love you, mummy." 

I froze in Yeri's arms. 

I never imagined that she would tell me that she loves me. 

"I love you too Yerim-ah," I told her softly and hugged her tighter. 

It is really a beautiful feeling hearing her say the three words. 

It means a lot to me. 

And it gave me more strength to go and spend the night working at my workplace. 

Again, the manager didn't disturb me for the night and I peacefully did all my tasks and then sat down to do my pending assignments. 

Wendy was a really efficient worker and a quick learner.

Having her really helped me and I have more time to catch up with my studies or do my pending assignments. She will do her school work as well when we don't have customers late at night. 

I never really initiated a conversation with her to ask about her personal life. 

She never really asked me as well. 

I mean, I feel like we have more time to get to know each other on a deeper level. And it is not really necessary to know a lot about a co-worker. 

I feel comfortable at my workplace because of her and that's all that matters for now. 

After a few days

I was late for my class today. 

I overslept this morning because I stayed up studying for my upcoming exams and thankfully Yeri's kindergarten was closed today due to some construction activities. 

Seems like Yeri also overslept and I quickly toast some bread and cooked an omelette for Yerim before rushing out of my house. 

I texted Seulgi to help me to keep an eye on Yeri when she finishes her class. 

I ran to the bus stop hoping that I will reach the bus stop before 9 am or else I won't be able to attend my first class. 

Thankfully, just as I reach the bus stop, the bus came and I find a seat quickly. 

It is a crazy morning. 

I felt slightly nauseous due to how fast I tried to run and I closed my eyes for a while to calm myself. 

I should be able to make it to my class. 































I almost didn't.

Just my luck, there was a drunken man refusing to move his car in the middle of the road for about 15 minutes, causing a traffic jam. The bus couldn't move and we waited until the police came to handle the guy. 

The bus dropped me at the nearest bus stop to my university and this time I power walked to my university and in record time I was on my campus, near my department building. In order to go to my class, I will need to pass by the cafeteria there. 

It was crowded with students having their breakfast there and I power walked my way through the crowd and was so close to getting out of it when I collided with someone coming from my opposite way. 

that hurt like a . 

Our shoulders collided hard and the coffee the person was holding spilt on my shirt. 

Fortunately, it was iced coffee. 

At least I did not get burned. 

This morning . 

"Oh my god, I am so sorry." I heard someone with perfect English pronunciation exclaim loudly in surprise. 

The girl held her now half-empty coffee with one hand and immediately took her handkerchief from her left pocket to help me soak it up. 

"I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was walking." She was wiping my front frantically while saying multiple sorry.

I sighed softly. 

This morning had been the worst. I am never going to get to class on time now because I can never walk around with a coffee-stained sticky pink shirt. 

And it is my fault also for being too focused on getting to the class that I accidentally bumped into her. 

"It's okay," I said softly and took the handkerchief from her hands and started to wipe myself hurriedly. 

"I... Irene-shi?" Does this person know me?

I looked up to see who this girl is and saw We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter