Chapter 1

Maybe in Another Life (Wenrene)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene's POV

I was living a happy life. 

I was so happy with my brother, Suho, his wife, Krystal, their child, Yerim and obviously, my wonderful girlfriend, Jennie. 

My brother had been taking care of me after our parents passed away and he had been a loving brother. He was working multiple jobs to pay off our parents' debts and pay for my studies. 

Once I got into college, I started to work part-time jobs to relieve my brother from some burden. Krystal had been his girlfriend for a long time and they got married seven years ago and they were gifted a child, Yerim just a year into their marriage and it was when I joined my college. Honestly, I was so happy for him and I love to play with Yeri while her parents are out working. 

It was at college that I met, Jennie Kim. 

Jennie was a very confident, smart and beautiful woman. I was attracted to her the first time that I saw her giving a speech for a ceremony of some kind and one day, out of blue, she asked me to go out with her. It was surprising for me cause we never really talked with each other before but she confessed that she liked me since the first time she saw me. So, she took her chance and asked me out. 

I was impressed by her confidence so I agreed and we started to date. It has been 2 years since we started dating.

It was going really well for us. Too well, to be honest. She was kinda romantic, understanding and our personalities matched with each other. She has a large friend circle and all of them know about us. I don't really have many friends at college because I rarely interacted with my course mates and I don't have time to hang out as well because I will be working. 

But Seulgi and Joy met Jennie and they were happy that I found someone. Jennie, Seulgi and Joy get along well and sometimes we do hang out together. 

She met my brother as well. 

It was a little shocking for me when my brother didn't really approve of her but tolerated her for my sake. He said that he doesn't think she is the one for me because he feels as if she is only with me for enjoyment and a little experience that she will get at the college. 

I kinda had a little fight with him for questioning my choice and saying that she's not the one for me. I was a little betrayed because I supported his relationship with Krystal. 

He apologized to me and said that he just told me what he sees from the way Jennie is behaving with me and said he won't mention anything about it anymore cause he will just trust my judgement. 

Call me naive, but I trust Jennie and I am in a relationship with her because I want to grow older with her. 

I was happy. 

Our little family were happy.

Even though we were living in a relatively small house, working multiple jobs to pay off the debts, we were happy with each other. 

And everything came to an end. 

My life turned 360 degrees, in a blink of an eye. 

Flashback

"Oppa, shouldn't you go and pick up Krystal from her workplace?" I asked my brother who was cooking our dinner. "Oh Lord, I almost forgot about that. Can you take care of the rest of the dinner Hyunnie? I'll come back soon." He said and passed the spatula to me. 

He was cooking fish and I turned off the gas after the fish was completely cooked. 

I went outside to see him off when he came out rushing from his room after changing clothes. "Drive carefully, oppa." I told him and he stopped to smile at me. 

He caressed my head softly and pat my cheeks. "Take care of Yerim for me. I love you." He said while looking at me and I just laughed it off. "Why are you being cheesy with me? Be like that with your wife, you dork." I said while pushing him away slightly. 

"No, really. Take care and know that I will always love you. See you." He said and when he stepped out of the front door, I felt my heart beating rapidly in my chest like warning me about something. It didn't feel good to see him step out of the home. 

'It's nothing. Why am I feeling this way?' I thought to myself but quickly rushed to the front door to see my brother. He was already in the car and was about to drive off when I called after him. He rolled down the window and smiled at me. 

"I love you too." I slightly shouted out loud and his smile widened when he heard me. He waved his hand and drive off to pick up Krystal. 

My heart was still beating erratically but I tried to calm myself and thought that my body was just behaving crazy. 

Little did I know...

Soon, after my brother left, it started to rain and I got slightly worried about them driving in rain at night but I know that my brother is a skilled driver so I tried to keep myself calm. I fed Yerim and I was playing with her for a while to distract myself but it was not working. 

And soon, It had been three hours but my brother and Krystal, haven't reached home and panic slowly started to rise in me. I tried calling Krystal but her phone was switched off. Her battery must have died. I wanted to call my brother but I was afraid of distracting him while he was driving or something so I tried to be patient. 

I cleaned everything, I washed our little Yerim and put her in pyjamas before giving her warm milk to drink before bed. She was really a good girl and didn't really ask where her parents were. 

It was when she was drinking her milk that I got a call. Thinking it was my brother, I breathed a sigh of relief and rushed to answer the call but it was an unknown number. 

I frowned slightly when I saw an unknown number and wondered who could be calling at this hour. 

I answered it anyway. 

"Hello?" I said softly and waited for the person to reply on the other line. 

"Is this Bae Joohyun? Sister of Bae Junmyeon?" I felt my heart beating erratically once again when I heard the voice. 

"Yes, who's this?" I answered while trying to remain calm. 

"I am Detective Sehun from Daegu Police Department. Are you at your home now?" I wondered who is this man and why is he asking if I am at home. 

"Uhmmm yes." He mumbled okay and ended the call abruptly. I wondered who the hell he is and why he ended the call just like that. Is he someone kinda stalker that I didn't know of and is coming to my house when my brother is not around?

Before I get to panic, I heard someone ringing my doorbell and I went to check who is it using the peephole and saw a policeman standing in front of the door. 

I opened the door instantly and he nodded his head. "I was the one who called you. Detective Sehun. I need you to come with me to the Daegu Government Hospital. Your brother and his wife were involved in a fatal car crash." <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter