The Ice Has Broken.

Chocolate and Mask

 

2022/02/15 18:30

 

 

 

Should I ask him? Shouldn't I?

 

Jihoon scratched his chin and pouted his lips, debating if he should ask Mashiho for a selca. 

Despite being housemates and spending more time together than anyone else, they rarely take photos together. Usually, they'll take photos for each other, but never in the same frame.

The last time they had photo together was when they had to partner up for unit selca for their album inclusion.

They held a lucky draw at the time, and it is interesting how Jihoon is indeed lucky. When he saw Mashiho's name on the paper, he couldn't keep his joy from showing. But that was it, they haven't had one since that. He sighs as he thinks about his chances of being that lucky again. Mashiho always engages in tug-of-war with him. 

Jihoon crosses his right leg over his left and taps his fingers on his knee impatiently. He groans as he leans against the chair he is sitting in the company's second basement. They just finished their schedule for today, which is their comeback day, and they have some free time while waiting for other members because they will having dinner together tonight. His gaze is drawn to Mashiho, who is laughing with Doyoung and sits six feet away from him. 

Jihoon is sometimes envious of Doyoung because he receives so much attention from Mashiho while he needs to be clingy, which makes Mashiho always annoyed with him.

 

But yesterday, however, was a bit different.

 

Yesterday morning, Jihoon went to a store to buy chocolate for Valentine's Day. He intended to buy two different flavours, one for himself and one for the fans, but Jihoon changed his mind and decided to buy one for the adorable Mashiho as well, because why not? It is, after all, Valentine's Day.

That night, when they arrived their dorm after practices, Jihoon waited till Mashiho finish wash up, then knocked at the latter’s room door. Jihoon huffed to himself, his hand holding his toned belly as he felt the inside of his stomach being tickled. 'What the hell is wrong with me?'

Mashiho emerged from behind the closed door, a towel covering his wet hair. Jihoon smiled sweetly as he handed the chocolate to Mashiho and wished him a happy Valentine's Day. However, Mashiho's reaction differed greatly from Jihoon's expectations, as the latter frowned his brows. He has a puzzled expression on his face, almost as if he is flustered.

Mashiho took it and stared blankly at the chocolate Jihoon had given him, as well as at the one who had given it to him. He then simply thanked Jihoon and shut his room door, leaving the older standing outside. 'Is that it? Only thank you? Not even wishing me happy Valentine's Day too hyung?'

Jihoon, who was agitated, pouted his lips and knocked on Mashiho's door several times but received no response. He almost thought Mashiho would be resentful of his actions until he saw Mashiho post a photo of them together on Weverse with the chocolate he gave.

"Suddenly?" He muttered as he felt his face grow warm. Jihoon bit his lip to prevent himself from smiling too much while his fingers quickly replied "cutie" to that post, and as usual, the latter never replied back. Mashiho is someone who rarely displays affection in public, which why it confused him. Why did Mashiho post it online instead of saying it in front of his face? 

Tsk, Mashiho is really a Tsundere. 

But that’s Mashiho he adores, the latter are so adorable when he was angry. And the look on his face when he's annoyed is simply too cute.

Jihoon smile despite himself upon the cuteness of the latter while his fingers fidgeting on the chair he sits. 


Well, it's either now or never. 


Jihoon inhales deeply and opens his mouth. 

“Shiho-ah”

Mashiho pause his laughter and turns his head, "Nae Jihoon hyung."

"Let’s take a photo together, only both of us...” Jihoon bit his lower lips, trying to find some excuse. “...for our comeback memory?” 

"Oh, okay.” Mashiho gets to his feet and walks over to Jihoon. 

Jihoon is surprised to see Mashiho simply agree to take a photo with him, despite the fact that he usually avoids him whenever he requests one. Maybe he's in a good mood, but Jihoon won't complain because it had been a while since their last selca together. Afraid Mashiho will change his mind.

"How do we do it?" Mashiho asked. 

"Let's go to that mirror over there," Jihoon suggests as he stands up. His finger points to a big mirror beside the elevator at the corner of the floor. 

 

 

Jihoon scratches his nape as they approach the mirror, unsure of what kind of pose they'll make. Should he strike a V or another pose? It's just an usual mirror selca, but Jihoon is suddenly nervous since it's gonna be only two of them.

"I've got an idea, Hyung!" Mashiho's voice breaks the silence.

"What is it?"

"Could you please extend your legs so that we have same height, Hyung?" 

Good idea. Jihoon rumbles at the latter's hair and says, "As you wish, cutie."

Jihoon pulls his pants up and extends his legs to match Mashiho's height, however, just as he is about to open the phone's camera, he feels Mashiho lean his head against him, causing his heart to skip a beat. He widens his eyes and pulls his head away from Mashiho, shifting his gaze to the latter, who is also staring at him.

"What’s the matter, hyung?" Mashiho asks.

"Oh, nothing, I'm just... startled." Jihoon says, an amused look come upon his face. 

"It's fine if you're not comfortable with it."

Jihoon shakes his head quickly and says, "No no, no! I like it, Hyung like it."

Although Mashiho's face is hidden beneath the mask, Jihoon can see him smiling by looking into his eyes. The fact that Jihoon recognises the latter so well, like how his nose crunches or his cute teeth show whenever he smiles. Jihoon chuckles at himself for imagining it. 

Then they start taking pictures of each other, switching poses but still leaning on each other's heads. Jihoon is aware that Mashiho is very close to him because he feels Mashiho place his left hand behind his back, as if intentionally hugging him. Jihoon's heart is pounding so loudly that he fears Mashiho will hear him. But will he be able to hear it?

The butterflies in his stomach combined with his heart's rapid beating almost made him dizzy; he couldn't go on like this any longer or he'd faint, so he quickly stood on his feet. 

"I think this is enough," Jihoon says as he goes through the images he took and shows them to Mashiho, who is calmly observing him.

"Send me some of it later, okay?" Mashiho said this as he walk back to Doyoung, shrugging his shoulders.

“Shiho-ah” Jihoon's half-scream drew Mashiho's attention to him. “Thank you."

"Don't say things like that, Hyung," Jihoon hears Mashiho says as the latter rushes back to his seat, leaving Jihoon standing in front of the mirror. His cheeks burn as his right hand moves slowly across his chest.

What exactly is he trying to hold? His heart? 

Well maybe that, because he feels like his heart fell again for the boy named Mashiho.

 

+++++++

 

On the way home after dinner in the car, Jihoon grins as he stares at the photos he shot with Mashiho today. 

It's not like they've never had selca together, but this one feels special because it's been a while since they've had one that wasn't work-related, plus Mashiho leaned his cheek to him first, which is unusual?

Getting affection from the latter is extremely unusual, like once in a billion years. Jihoon chuckles as he recalls how difficult it is to break Mashiho's heart that sometimes cold as ice. Tsk, is the 'ice' is finally melting? 

Jihoon relaxes his body against the seat and crosses his hands, his gaze falling on Mashiho, who is blissfully sleeping on his left seat.

'He must be very tired.' Jihoon thought.

 

Him too, actually. The schedule is rather hectic these days, and to be honest, he didn't get much sleep last night, concerned about today because it has been a year since their last comeback, and he is worried about the outcome.

However, he is relieved that they are able to go through it together. He was grateful for all of them, all 12 of them. 

Takata Mashiho. He may not have been aware of it, but Jihoon is so grateful to have Mashiho in his life. For Jihoon, the latter is like a vitamin, giving him energy throughout the day or whenever he is tired from work. Mashiho doesn't need to do anything because his mere presence is enough for Jihoon.

 

The silence fills the car, and only the faint sounds of the radio can be heard. A ray of light shines through the tinted windows of the car, thanks to the street lights. It's still a little dark, but it's bright enough for Jihoon to see the latter. 'Why is this man so adorable that even the smallest things he did made his heart ache?' Jihoon thought. 

Jihoon stretches out his hand to reach Mashiho's hair and moves a few strands that cover his forehead. "You did a great job today, cutie." Jihoon smiles and whispers softly, afraid that others will hear him.

Not wanting to wake Mashiho up, he shifts his body to the front and closes his eyes. He still has 15 minutes until they arrive at their apartment.

He's grateful that today's event went off without a hitch, and he knows that a lot of things await him in the future, but he's confident that he'll be able to do it with the help of all the members. He feels lighter and more refreshed, and his heart swells with joy for that unexpected skinship with Mashiho that evening. 

While his eyes were still closed, Jihoon let out a soft chuckle to himself.


 

Without Jihoon knowing, Mashiho actually is well aware of what had happened and had been watching Jihoon all the time, he was just pretending to sleep when Jihoon suddenly turned his face to him.

As he looks at the older, his mouth twitches.

 

He’s cute.