Five

Some Nights

 

Dawon placed her glass of wine at the corner of the black grand piano then sat in front of it. Her fingers started playing some random keys before the notes created a sorrowful melody. Dawon closed her eyes and let her emotions control her and drive her intuition. Deliberately, she started to sing her new fresh lyrics that she has been writing since she was in Jeju to match with the beats and melodies. 

“With the highest notes

Called out your name

Perhaps I can reach you

In the most painful spring

The flower still blooms

I think that it’s your nagging”

 

Dawon reminisced about her sweet moments with Luda from day one when she helped her at the library until the day she found out about Luda and Hyunjung's past relationship. For those five days that she really has gone to outstation for her work but she used it practically to ‘avoid’ Luda while thinking if her feelings for Luda were genuine and worth her sacrifices. 

 

“Crying doesn’t seem strange in this night

I secretly think of you

Like how when the rain drops

My tears can’t be seen

 

The happy memories

With only the amount that I will take out

Put it in my pocket

Not even using it all

There are days where I have left some

Those are the good days”

 

While she was drowning in her emotions and memories, her fingers messed up with one note that brought her back to reality. She realised that she was in tears when she opened her eyes and saw a blurry vision. 

Dawon took a glance at the clock and was a bit startled at how fast the time flies that it has past 2AM. She finished her remaining wine then went to her bedroom, wishing she would get some sleep before she met Luda later. 

 

-

 

“Thank you for today,” Luda suddenly spoke after a few minutes of silence while they were strolling the beach as that was their last stop before they separated again later. She glanced at the taller girl. “Although I never stop hoping that I could meet you again one day, I never thought we would meet again, especially here.” Silent took over again. Luda sighed. She suddenly stopped walking and looked over to the distance towards the sea. The sun has set prettily and leaving a ray of orange and pink colours to the sky and reflect to the ocean. 

From her peripheral view, she could see Dawon approaching her and standing an adequate distance from her. Luda decided to let everything out, about what she thinks, feels and wants. She knows she would never get this chance if she blew up again this time.

“Dawon-ah…” She waited for a while. “Can you please look at me?” The older between the two knew she was half-begging and her eyes started to glisten. 

The begging voice made Dawon finally turn to her right side to face her and saw her glistening eyes. She could hardly stop her hands from reaching the older girl’s cheek to wipe the tears. 

“Nam Dawon… I’m sorry for everything. But what you see the other day is not what you think. Please trust me, Dawon,” Luda began to explain what keeps bothering her mind. “Hyunjung unnie just… she just wanted to comfort me when…when I told her that I’m afraid to lose you. That.. I’m sorry that I couldn’t give you a straight answer.. and you.. When you left me hanging for days.. I’m scared.” Luda wiped her flowing tears on her cheeks, took a deep breath before she locked her eyes on the taller girl. “I know.. I know what we did was wrong. But I just.. I…I’m sorry.” Her legs weakened, Luda almost fell on her knees.

The taller girl quickly caught Luda from falling on the ground. She held her before pulling the girl into her arms, her head to ease the crying girl. “Shh..it’s fine. I know that you would never do that to me. Besides, Hyunjung unnie has explained everything to me. I know, Luda. It’s fine,” Dawon non-stop comforted her. 

Luda pulled away from Dawon’s embrace. “Hyunjung unnie?” She looked lost and confused.

“Yeah, she told me a few days ago. She managed to find my contacts although I don’t know how…But yeah…She has told me everything about your past relationship and how both of you broke up and how it affects you and us.” Dawon cupped Luda’s cheek and brushed her thumbs on to clean the tears. They stayed like that for a moment before Dawon broke the silence. “Come on. You will get a cold.”

Luda felt lost. Their conversation shouldn't have ended like this. There’s still more to talk about them. Why does it feel very unclear? This is still unsettled. While Luda tried to organise her disoriented thought, she felt something hit her that made her unbalanced and tried to grab whatever was close to her to prevent her from falling, but luck was not on her side because she still fell but thankfully not on the sand. She opened her eyes and saw Dawon’s face a few inches from her. The smaller girl realised she fell on top of Dawon.

“Ouch!” Dawon grimaced below Luda. Just now, she saw a little boy was running with a ball towards them that she tried to pull Luda to her side but Luda pulled her as reflex made both of them imbalanced and she quickly switched to the side so that Luda could fall on her. 

“I’m sorry, my son is a bit uncontrolled here. I’m so sorry.” They heard a woman's voice apologising to them and a little scolding towards her son. Both of them did not react to that woman as they were immersed with the tense situation they are in right now.

Dawon cleared . “You alright?” Luda’s silence made her worried. “Luda?” The taller girl patted the girl’s back softly. Out of Dawon’s expectation, Luda suddenly leaned closer and gave a quick peck on her lips and pulled away before Dawon could do anything.

“Finally I could steal it back from you,” A small sad smile formed on Luda’s lips. She referred to that night where Dawon had stolen a kiss from her after they watched some musical. 

The younger girl of the two was stunned at the sudden action and remarks. It took her a few seconds before she could comprehend the tense among them and channel it from her honest and deep bottom of her heart. She lifted her hand to tuck Luda’s hair behind her ear so that she could see her ethereal beauty clearer, and put her hand on her jaw. ‘She looks prettier this closer.’

"Pretty." She let it out loud. 

Dawon realised Luda’s gaze was still lingering on her lips, making her wet her lips unconsciously. 

The girl on top took it as a sign to continue what she was going to do. She took a moment before she leaned down closer. 

A sudden ringtone made both of them flinch, especially Luda who is only an inch away from Dawon and awkwardly she stopped and got up. They felt a bit disappointed at the interference but didn't want to show it to each other. 

The taller girl sat up and quickly took out her phone from her pocket jeans and saw ‘Jiyeon unnie’ flashing on the screen. Dawon took a quick glance at the girl beside her who was hugging her knees while fiddling with the beach sand and cleared .

“Yeah unnie?” Dawon answered the call like she usually does. She knew Luda could hear her because of their close distance but she ignored it.

“I’m sorry, unnie. I..don’t know. Maybe yes and maybe no,” Dawon's face turned gloomy. Dawon stopped for quite a while and heard a commotion from the other side as well as a few familiar voices. The next thing she heard is Hyunjung’s vague voice asked Jiyeon something about her. 

“Hyunjung unnie is there too?” Dawon looks surprised. She heard Jiyeon explain that they have a small get-together with Juyeon, Yeoreum and Dayoung. Surprisingly, Jiyeon said that Hyunjung is Dayoung’s acquaintance that they never knew aside from Dayoung is close with Yeoreum, Juyeon and her. ‘Did she get my number from Dayoung?’ Dawon suddenly remembered that Hyunjung called her new number a few days ago and that she trusts Juyeon and Jiyeon never gives it to anyone.

Luda looked up at hearing Hyunjung’s name. Her frown clearly shows that she is in confusion with whom Dawon is talking and the sudden mention of Hyunjung. 

“No, unnie. Tell her that this is not her fault. Yup. I made this decision because I want to, not because of her or anyone.” Dawon insisted but her voice sounded sad and weak. 

Luda wondered what the other side was talking about, that Dawon was quiet for a long time and became tense. She wanted to hold her hand, to comfort her but she knows her stand and the walls they have. She didn't want to worsen their already complicated relationship.

“I…” Dawon finally spoke after a whole tense moment. She looked at her side and met Luda's eyes, stared into her deep brown almond eyes. “Of course I miss her, unnie. And I do.. I still love her.” Dawon conveyed her feelings to that person through her phone but her gaze fixed on the girl beside her. “But, I guessed, things didn't go well the way we wanted to.” As soon as she finished her sentence, she broke eye contact and shifted her gaze to the sky.

Luda was perplexed by what had happened a few seconds ago. Everything happened really fast. Before, they were almost kissing and now she confessed to someone while looking at her. ‘Did she talk about me? But with who? Jiyeon unnie?’ Luda’s train of thought got cut at Dawon’s voice again.

"Alright, unnie.” Dawon nodded a bit. “You too. Please take care of Juyeon for me while I’m away. Thanks, unnie." Dawon hung up the call then looked at Luda again.

“Let’s go, I’ll drive you to the hotel.” Dawon stood up and held her hand out to help the older girl to stand. 

 

-

 

Luda’s thoughts were filled with everything that happened earlier all along the drive to the hotel. 

‘Was it Jiyeon unnie? Because I heard she mentioned Juyeon too. Does that mean that Jiyeon unnie also lied to me and that she even knows where Dawon is and that she will go somewhere?’ Luda didn’t realise they had arrived near the lobby hotel until Dawon tapped her shoulder softly and brought her back to reality. 

Luda stared at her with hopefulness, for a second chance that she knows she doesn't really deserve. 

Dawon bit her inner lip. She wished she could do what she wanted as easy as composing a new song. But, this is affiliated with two hearts and feelings that she doesn't want anyone to get hurt any more. She saw Luda's gaze, bringing her back to their failed kiss at the beach just now. The desire, both of them know what exactly they want but they were afraid at the same time. Afraid of getting hurt and will hurt the other person. 

After a couple of silence, Dawon threw away her fear and worry, cupped the older girl's face gently and brought her face closer. 

"I miss you so much." She whispered then planted her lips on the other. 

Luda couldn't deny the longing that she felt especially after hearing Dawon's shaking voice in her confession. She reciprocates the kiss as soon as it lands on her lips. 

The kiss was slow, full of longing, yearning, regret, and on top of the pure of love. Few seconds passed, and they became hungrier over each other. 

Luda locked her fingers in Dawon's hair with Dawon's one hand on Luda's cheek and the other hand pulled her closer by the waist. When the younger noticed that Luda was short of breath, they slowly broke the kiss and foreheads met each other's.  

"I miss you too. Please, don't go."

Dawon distanced herself after hearing that. "I'm sorry…"

 

P.s. Upvote and comment are very appreciated ^^